Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" when running a local web project

I get the above error when I try to run my project.  Any ideas
what the configuration of the computer needs to be in order to run
VS2005's local web server?
0
rlbjr

Ok, the problem is that I apparently don't have the executable on my
machine.  Does anyone know how I can reinstall this
executable?  I've tried to repair my .NET studio installation, but
no luck.
0
rlbjr
7/26/2005 3:09:36 PM
I got same proplem , did you solve it ?

if you .. please help me

Thanks

Top Systems Inc.
Coding Services
Books Download
0
Mohammed
9/30/2005 2:31:29 PM

I accidentally hit my firewall program to block the web server application.  When I figured out that it had to be that - after hours - I permitted the application and worked fine.  Maybe try todisable the firewall and try to run it.

2 wrongs don't make a right - but three lefts do
0
Echo88
10/19/2005 8:34:06 PM

hi,Echo88,

the same problem happened to me,  and i solved it using the same method.

appreciate your help.

struggling for ever
0
Jinglecat
4/18/2006 7:38:27 PM

WebDev.WebServer.exe file is probably corrupted. Copy this file from another machine running vs2005 and replace the corrupt copy on your machine. Otherwise reinstall. WebDev.WebServer.exe can be found in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

xHydra Networks
0
nyashaC
Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server
Here is the solution below. Check it.
************************************************** The Visual Studio's
localhost Web Server (or) Default Web Server is the file
"WebDev.WebServer.exe". You can find it in the folder
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" for Windows
xp/2000/2003 (OR) in "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" for
Windows NT Servers.

Check out whether this file exists in your framework folder to verify whether it was accidentally deleted. If it is not there, try to get a copy of this file from any another system which contains vs2005 installed and paste it the frameworks folder of your system.

Keep a backup of this file "WebDev.WebServer.exe".

Note: "WebDev.WebServer.exe" does not come with dotnet framework but with Visual Web Developer which is part of Visual Studio. Since it is in the framework's folder, dont' think that it came with dotnet framework file "dotnetfx20.exe".

If not solved.
Try to end any previous instances of WebDev.WebServer.exe still running using Task Manager.
(or)
Host your web application manually using WebDev.WebServer.exe. Type WebDev.WebServer.exe/? in Command Prompt (before doing this you to change the directory to framework folder or add the framework folder to PATH in console.
The syntax is : WebDev.WebServer.EXE /path:$rpath /port:$port /vpath:$vpath
Where path is for physical path location of your application's root directory, port is the port number your application uses, you can assign any free or unused port number and vpath is the virtual directory name for your application's root directory
Example: WebDev.WebServer.exe /path:f:\myprojects\webapps\website1 /port:1036 /vpath:website1 (physical path and virtual path need not be same as in this case 'website1')
Now you will see the icon in the tray which you usually see when you run a webapplication from visual studio ide.
and now you can accesss your application from any browser by simply typing for the above example as
http://localhost:1036/website1
Note: Here instead of localhost you can use your computer fullname.
(or)
Try this: In the frame work folder 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727' Run the following files..
'aspnet_regiis -i' : to register asp.net with Internet Information Server (IIS) and
'iisreset' : to restart IIS

If the problem still exists try to call me om my mobile.

Regards,
Sriram Naresh
cybernaresh@yahoo.com
cybernaresh@hotmail.com
+91-9989697948

0
cybernaresh
10/26/2007 10:07:42 PM
[...]

4/8/2008 4:12:37 AM
[...]

4/8/2008 4:16:07 AM

Dude I gave a short and concise answer and you had to repeat it three times ??

anyway thanks for the greater detail

xHydra Networks
0
nyashaC
5/28/2008 1:55:27 PM

 The basic requirment for VS2005 is minimum of 256mb Ram and above 2 GB Hard disk space, The CPU speed above 1.7 Ghz

Shane

0
shanerobertz
6/2/2008 11:34:05 AM

sorry guys, maybe an old story, but i just had the same problem and loked around.

I am running Visual studio 2008 professional and tried Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition - just for fun and evaluation - then suddently my VS2008 stopped connecting to localhost developer web server when testing my projects. After a vhile i was lucky to solve it in 5 minutes - maybe som one could use my experience.

- when testing a webapplication i tried to substitute localhost with 127.0.0.1 - then things worked again
- 'ping localhost' showed me that localhost did not longer point to loopback adress 127.0.0.1 - don't know why
- edited the file 'hosts' in \%systemrpoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ (i don't have my own DNS server so i do static hostmappings)
- corrected the corrupt localhost entry to: 127.0.0.1 localhost

thats all - works fine again, no need for reinstalling and so on
hope u can use it - /Kim Steffensen

0
kim
3/10/2009 8:47:41 PM
THNX!
It helped.
0
denisk1981
3/10/2009 10:30:32 PM

 @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Commented out the line

::1 LocalHost

with a # in the hosts file and it now works.

or

remove the next line in the windows host file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

::1 localhost

This is an IpV6 entry. Put a # in front of it. "

Instead of commenting this IpV6 entry adding the following IpV4 entry above this line also helps:

127.0.0.1 localhost

You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself.
0
omalbose

Error message "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server"
Hi, Iam using VS 2005. Whenever i run asp.net web site from within my project by pressing following error occurs as pop up window. "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server". I can build my web site and access this via opening new browser and typing path but not via pressing F5 within VS studio environment. Any ideas?   Regards, Rahul Check out this thread.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Guaranteed Solution for Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server"
Hello everyone, I finally found a solution (at least worked for me) for the famous error "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" which was troubling everyone. I encountered this error too. Tried all the options I could but finally got the way out!Here it is:Note: If you are running on IIS and getting this error, your computer might have been coufigured for localhost:port[some port no.]Do this:In Visual Studio IDE, go to the Website Menu and click Start Options.From the list on the left hand side, choose Start Options.Under the Server section, Choose t...

"Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server"
I am getting an error that says "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server", when I try to go to Website -> ASP.NET Configuration (in Visual Studio 2005).  I have looked at some different forums and references around the internet, and it doesn't seem like any of them have solved my problem. I think the problem might have been a result of some configuration changes that I made to make my sites run as a root “/” site (i.e. instead of running at http://localhost:8079/WebSiteName/default.aspx, they run at http://localhost:8079/default.aspx).  I got the tip for ...

"Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server"
I have been using VS 2005 with no problem, then earlier this week I installed coldfusion developers edition.  Later that day i tried to debug an asp.net application and got the following error. "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server".  I'm not sure if it's connected to coldfusion, so i uninstalled ColdFusion.  Tried to debug a site, and same error.  Then I repaired VS 2005.  Same error.  Then I uninstalled VS 2005, reinstalled VS2005, and still get the same error.   Anyone think they can help out?  Thanks ...

"Unable to connect to visual studio's localhost web server."
I tried with the stuff like replacing WebDev.WebServer.exe with that on a running machine which is perfectly fine.But does not work.Also I tried to manually run it from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 directory with the syntax WebDev.WebServer.exe /path:f:\myprojects\webapps\website1 /port:1036 /vpath:website1 but I got the following error. "The application failed to initiliaze properly (0xc000007b). Click on OK to terminate the application."Any help other than the stuff I tried is appreciated . The error looks similar to the problem that .NET...

"Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" #2
I have created a 'WebSite project' in VS 2005 Professional Edition using 'FileSystem' type. When i build the project it builds successfully but when i try to run any page it gives the following error in a prompt "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server"  I have searched alot for this error but all invain. I got to know that problem comes because an EXE located at C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\WebDev.WebServer.EXE is missing but i found this exe in that folder. I have also tried Uninstalling and then Re-installing the VS 2005 but still sam...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

"Unable to connect to Visual Studios Localhost Web Server"
It took me two days of searching the forum and the web, to find anything on this problem.  This is a brand new load of VS2005 after removing VS2003, we do not use beta software for production development and so waited until the release.   I ran into the bug when I treid using the sample club website .. the website loads fine, but when I try Website/ASP.NET Configuration I just get the "Unable to connect to Visual Studios Localhost Web Server" without the other eror dialogs. Additionally the ASP.NET DEvelopment Server is showing the following.... Phyical Path: C:\Documents ...

help! Error "The web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/...'. 'The certificate authority is invalid or i
Hi,Please help!  I have about 5 projects, none of them will open in VS 2003.  All of them return that error in the Subject line.  I have no idea where to even start, google does not return any useful results.  THanks!   check the bellow urls  http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1223046.php http://support.softartisans.com/kbview_226.aspx with regards ganesanGanesan...

Error : Unable to connect Visual Studio's Local Host Web Server
Hi all, Can you pls help me to sort out this problem. Whenever i run a project in ASP.Net i get an error "UNABLE TO CONNECT VISUAL STUDIO'S LOCAL HOST WEB SERVER"   This would be more helpful to me,...... vimal. Hi, Not much info in your request. Is this the first time you try to run a project in Visual Studio? When you created your project/website, which options did you choose via the wizard? Respectfully, Webdroid   Hi, Thank you for you reply. actually i created a website and a webform in it, and when i run it to test is shows me the message "UNABLE TO CONNECT V...

unable to connect to visual studio's localhost web server
Hello, I created a simple web page in Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.  Then I pressed Ctrl/F5. Build succeeded. Next I reseived an error message "unable to connect to visual studio's localhost web server". Does anybody know why?   This may help:http://blogs.msdn.com/rahulso/archive/2006/07/11/unable-to-connect-to-visual-studio-s-localhost-web-server.aspx Website Design Darlington - http://mdssolutions.co.ukhttp://lessthandot.com - Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledgehttp://aspnetlibrary.com - An online resource for professiona...

Web resources about - Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" when running a local web project - asp.net.installation-setup