Cannot connect to local SQL Server using Vista using Windows Authentication. Please help.

I have made a fresh "default" install of Visual Studio 2008 on a fresh install of Vista 32bit.

SQL Server 2005 Express has been installed as part of that process.

I can access it using SQL Server Management Studio Express but from within Visual Studio I cannot.

If I drag an SQL Data Source control onto a page and configure it to connect to the local server (using Windows Authentication) I get....

Cannot Connect.
SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
Provider: Named pipes provider, error 40 could not open a connection to SQL Server.

Please help I am getting desperate!

VWGolfman
0
vwgolfman

 It looks like the user running the Asp.net does not have enough permission to connect to SQL. Give relevent permission to the user account from which Asp.net is running and that should solve the purpose

Vikram
www.vikramlakhotia.com

Please mark the answer if it helped you
0
vik20000in
12/24/2007 12:28:08 PM

What is your connection string? Did you checked whether you have give the connection string like

SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("Server=<yourserver>; Initial Catalog=<your DB name>; Integrated Security=SSPI or TRUE")

or

while installing SQL Server, did you choose Mixed-Mode or give any username and password for "sa"?

Try the above, or else let me know.

Cheers,
Achutha Krishnan

~ No one can do everything, but everyone can do something ~
0
engineerachu
12/25/2007 4:02:56 PM

I'm terribly sorry everybody, I was using the wrong connection string.

Thank you for your time.

VWGolfman
0
vwgolfman
1/1/2008 5:36:54 PM

It might be possible that you have not permit the TCP/IP protocol in the configuration area.

Although,here is a problem of connectinstring but its also possible because of these protocols are disable.

Shah Dharnendra G
Sr.Analyst Programmer,
GTL-Ahmedabad
0
dharnendra

Using forms authentication but connect to sql server using windows authentication
HiI want to use forms authentication to login to my internet application, but I want to connect to sql server 2000 using windows authentication ( via impersonation of a single windows domain account ) ( Windows 2000 server )Both web server and sql server are running on different machinesCan you tell me the configurations I need to do to allow thisThanks timoth by default the ASP.Net will try to connect with your SQl Server using ASP.Net Services Account. If you are not using a Domain Account for ASp.Net service then you can use Mirrored account i.e. create a local account with same name an...

Using forms authentication
HiI am writing an internet application that requires forms authentication to login remote usersI also want to connect to sql server using windows authenticationThe question is can Ido this?I thought if I allow IIS anonymous access, create an actual windows account to use for the anonymous access then in web.config, set impersonate = true and authentication mode = formsWill this work Many thanks Windows authentication is not delegatable unless you set up your configuration to use Kerberos.Setting up the anonymous account as a domain account with access to the database and impersonating this...

Use Custom Service Account for connecting to SQL Server using windows authentication
My web server has IIS 6.0 and is not in my company's domain. I created a virtual drectory for the ASP. NET 2005 application. I am trying to connect to SQL server which is in domain with Windows Authentication. I created a local account on WEB SERVER ex. CustomASP, I assigned it with ASP.NET permissions. Created a new application pool with configurable user the local account and assigned the ASP .NET application to the pool. Now I need to create on SQL Server a login & grant access to the custom service account created (handles the application pool). How am i goin...

Using ADO to connect to SQL Server 2005 or 2008 (Express and standard) using Windows Authentication
Hi, I apologize in advance if this is an overly simple question or I have simply overlooked the obvious. With the current project (it's client server not n-tier) I'm on, we usually connect using SQL Server authentication. We now have a customer that would like to us to connect to SQL server using Windows Authentication. The customer would like to control all access to SQL server using Active Directory rather than us having the username and password on the client side connecting via SQL Server Authentication. The app is still in D5 (don't ask ;) ), with all t...

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

SQL Server 2005 connection using Windows Authentication
is there a way to connect from PB 10.5.1 to SQL Server 2005 using Windows Authentication? On security tab, integrated field add "SSPI" in the connection dialog. Leave user name and password blank. <egattu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:468ebb49$1@forums-1-dub... > is there a way to connect from PB 10.5.1 to SQL Server 2005 using Windows > Authentication? ...

Question on connection to SQL Server using windows authentication
I have a domain user account through which I can log on a machine. The machine allows me to use this domain user account to create DB in SQL Server using windows authentication. How can I define a connection string to connect SQL Server? My connection string is like: string str = "server=(local);uid='"+userName+"';password='"+password+"';database='master';connection timeout=15"; This one works on another machine where I use SA account. But this one does not work using windows authentication. I tried to use domainname\myname as user name, but failed. Cou...

help. when using Profile GetPropertyValue, I get the following connection error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
 Hi,I need some help. I am getting this error after I complete the asp.net register control and click on the continue button. It crashed when it tries to get it calls this Profile property((string)(this.GetPropertyValue("Address1")));When I look at the stack, it is coming from my ProfileWrapper class which adds user address, city, etc.. from a class which inherits fromSystem.Web.Profile.ProfileBase. From the stack, it is calling the System.Web.Profile and crashed when it tries to open a connection atSystem.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObj...

SQL Server using Windows NT Authentation connection string
Database Server: SQL Server 2005 Server = tsohaephqdb001 Database = D01DMAINTPLAN Process Id: Windows NT Authentation Login = asplog Password = 123456   IIS Server:  (separate machine from server) ASP.NET Version 2.0.50727Anonymous Access = TrueUser Name = asplogPassword = 123456All other options = False  (Generated by ASPRunner.Net) web.config: <?xml version="1.0"?> <configuration>   <appSettings>     <add key="...

Help for Using Microsoft SQL Server in Powerbuilder Installed on Windows NT
Hi All; I have the following Question,please Help I installed PowerBuilder 6.0 on NT 4.0, and connect Database Microsoft SQL Server 6.5, But after I add a datawindow with Retrieval Arguments ,and preview this datawindow, there is always an error: "Select error: SQLSTATE = 37000 [Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver]Syntax error or access violation" when I add a datawindow without any Retrieval Arguments ,and preview it,it has no problem please help liming ...

How to connect to a sql server DB using PB8.0 (NEwbee) Please help
Hi, After a 5 year break using PB, I am staring again, this time with version 8.0 (instead of 6.5) and SQL server, instead of an ODBC DB. My questions are: 1) Any good books recomending me? 2) How can I connect to an SQL server? I tried the next, but no result: a) Made in SQL server a DB called FARMA2 b) Then In PB8.0 I went to "TOOLS DBPROFILE", created below MMS MICROSOFT SQL SERVER a new profile: Server: local (IS THIS CORRECT???????) LOGIN: administrador Password: XXX Database: Farma2 When I now go to connect, after a good 30 seconds it tells me: Connot ...

Why do we often use SQL Authentication to connect to SQL server?
Hi,From Building Secure ASP.NET application book, I see that Window Authentication is more secure than SQL Authentication when you connect to database. You don't have to secure the credentials. However, it seems that many Web applications are using SQL Authentication than using Window Authentication. Why does it happen? Can you explain to me, please?Thank in advance,Duc  Windows authentication requires a Windows login account.  This requires client access licenses.  A hosting service with 500 sites on a server would require 500 client access licenses for Windows, simply ...

HELP: Connecting using 10.5 w\MS SQL Server\ADO.NET
Hello, I was able to establish a connection using ADO.NET from within PowerBuilder, but when I try to run the application, on the login I am being asked for a Data Source. Is there something in the .ini file that needs to be tweaked. Here is a sample of what PowerBuilder 8.0 uses: [Mod] DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x Database=pdat_1011 UserId= DatabasePassword= LogPassword= ServerName=denison03 LogId= Lock= DbParm= Prompt=0 dbstatus=Model Office Section 1011 ArchiveFile="" Thanks, LaChandra In the db-profile check out the preview tab. That tells you ...

Web resources about - Cannot connect to local SQL Server using Vista using Windows Authentication. Please help. - asp.net.installation-setup

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Online account security: lazy authentication is still the norm
Even in the high-tech world of 2016, crims will be able to side-step your account security by making a phone call and saying they're you.

ATO boosts service access via app and voice authentication
The ATO has announced it will extend its voice authentication system to its mobile app