Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server?

Hi,

 We have been hosting an app on a server that has ASP and ASP.net 1.1 support.  We are now moving to an ISP that has ASP, ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 plans.  We will soon migrate the development environment to VS 2005.  However, today we use VS 2003.  My question is can we initially deply to a server that has .net 2.0 support?  Are the 2.0 libs fully backward compatible?

jerry

0
jerrykur

You can deploy a 1.1 app to a server runnuing both 1.1 and 2.0 by setting the framework version for the application on the server.  You can deploy many (but not all) 1.1 apps directly in a 2.0 environement and have them work.  You can also convert apps to 2.0.  Safest is always run the app in the framework it was coded for.
jeff
11/8/2006 8:02:55 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think we will just deploy to a 1.1 server for now and upgrade the app to VS 2005/2.0 on the next build cycle.  At time we can shift to the 2.0 server.

jerry

0
jerrykur

Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem???
I have .NET 1.1 running on remote (dedicated) server.  I have just installed Net 2.0 and created a Hello-World App to test it.  It worked fine yesterday, but today when I try it again I get "Server Application Unavailable" My 1.1 web apps seem to be running ok.  The following message was in the event log.  "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process"Can someone please advise me how to run 1.1 and 2.0 web apps on the sam...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Can I install two .NEt frameworks (1.1 and 2.0) in the same server
Hi all. I would like to know if two .Net framework versions .NET 1.1 and .Net 2.0 could coexist in the same server.  As far as I know an ASP.Net application build with Ms Studio 2003 uses .Net 1.1, and an application built with 2005 uses .Net 2.0.   Something that I do not understand is, if I build an application with ASP.Net 2003, and deploy it to a production server that has installed both frameworks 1.1 and 2.0, will my application use the framework 1.1 or is there any possibility of creating conflicts because it does not know which framework to select (1.1 or 2.0)   Wh...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

Sharing cookie between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 web app
I have two servers A and B.  A hosts .NET 1.1 web apps, while B hosts .NET 2.0 web apps.  I have a common login page written in .NET 2.0 (thus it's on server B).  In order to share the cookie, I set the machine key attributes (validation and encryption) of all apps to the same keys, and set all .NET 2.0 web apps to use decryption="3DES".  But for some reasons, my .NET 1.1 still cannot read the cookie generated by the .NET 2.0 login page.  Anyone has similar problem before?  Am I missing anything? Thanks. WenWen I am afraid you can only share t...

Help! Running .net 1.1 website on server with .net 2.0
Hi All,I have problems with running my .net version 1.1 website on a server that has .net version 2.0. Also my database is in sql server 2003 and on the server it is sql server 2005. The error that I am getting is: "unhandled exception..." and "invalid connection..."Please help! Kindly let me know if I have to modify my web.config file or other changes. (The website is working properly on my current server with sql server 2003 and .net framework version 1.1. ) Will let you know more details if required. Regards and thanks.  Hi, did you migrate your application to that server? If...

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

Web resources about - Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server? - asp.net.installation-setup

Turkey internet servers under sustained cyber attack: internet body
Turkish internet servers have suffered one of the most intense cyberattacks ever seen in the country over the past week, raising fears Ankara ...

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
One year after introducing the original Compute Stick, a version of which was featured in our guide to building a $150 iTunes media server , ...

Cock.li e-mail server seized by German authorities, admin announces
(credit: Vincent Canfield ) In a new video statement posted on Monday, the administrator of novelty e-mail provider cock.li announced that one ...

Intel: Deutsche Bank Models Altera Contribution to Server Biz
Shares of Intel ( INTC ) are down 35 cents, or 1%, at $34.63, after the company this morning announced the formal closing of its $17 billion ...

Amazon deal: Save $85 on this Sony portable wireless server
Smartphones' memory storage gets filled so quickly these days thanks to photos, videos and more, so get yourself a handy portable wireless server ...

Windows 10 automatically uploads encryption keys to Microsoft servers - Business Insider Deutschland
Securing your data is tough. Jan Kaláb/Flickr (CC) Microsoft backs up users' encryption keys to its servers, The Intercept's Micah Lee reports ...

8 quirky emails from Hillary Clinton's private server
The latest State Department release includes emails on limo ride flow charts, jury duty advice, and the "Texts from Hillary" viral photo

Applebee’s Server Returns $32,000 In Cash Family Accidentally Left On The Table
... and scored a huge tip from some abnormally generous person, and you figure the money is yours to keep. Or, if you’re like one Applebee’s server ...

Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server
Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server