Can I install two .NEt frameworks (1.1 and 2.0) in the same server

Hi all. I would like to know if two .Net framework versions .NET 1.1 and .Net 2.0 could coexist in the same server.  As far as I know an ASP.Net application build with Ms Studio 2003 uses .Net 1.1, and an application built with 2005 uses .Net 2.0.

Something that I do not understand is, if I build an application with ASP.Net 2003, and deploy it to a production server that has installed both frameworks 1.1 and 2.0, will my application use the framework 1.1 or is there any possibility of creating conflicts because it does not know which framework to select (1.1 or 2.0)

What are the best practices when ASP.Net applications when they need two frameworks:

-        split the application in two different servers one for version 1.1 and the other for version 2.0

-        Install both frameworks on the same server

thanks.jsn

0
jsn1

Yes. Both versions can co-exist peacefully on the same server. You just set the .NET Framework version on the ASP.NET tab for a site or virtual directory in IIS.

HTH,
Ryan

Ryan Olshan
ASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NET
http://ryanolshan.com

How to ask a question
0
StrongTypes
5/3/2006 2:11:13 PM
Jsn, Also Try never to use 1.1 in the wwwroot, and a 2.0 app in a a sub directory, and vice vera. This can be done But I would not suggest it.

-Blake Niemyjski
Blog - Website: windowscoding.com
0
Blake05
5/3/2006 2:27:10 PM
Blake. How I should use them?  everything under wwwroot?
0
jsn1
5/3/2006 2:32:12 PM

You can't have two frameworks on the same application, so you can't run both under the root.  Each server, each site and each application can have the version designated, with the lower levels overriding the upper choices.

Jeff

jeff

how to install .ner framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?
hello everyone!I got a problem, I have installed .net framework 2.0 in my computer, but now I need to install .net framework 1.1.The install process of .net framework 1.1 halt when it is stoping the IIS Admin.Can I install .net framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?Or I have to remove 2.0 and install 1.1 and 2.0 in sequence?Thank you very much! There is no sequence in .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installation.You can look into the installation log and check what's the problem.Can you post your installation errors?Maybe I can help you to fix the error through your...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Can I install dot net framework 2 if 1.1 is already installed?
I notice my development laptop has dot net Framework (presume 1.0) and dot net Framework 1.1 installed. I'd like to start gettting familiar with dot net Framework 2. Can I add this in or do I need to uninstall the 1.x versions first? I presume that my previous dot net framework 1.x apps will still function if I install dot net Framework 2. Is this the case? Thanks, For sure you can have both on one machine. Just install the .NET framework 2.0, then you will have an additional tab in the IIS  MMC, which allows you to specify the framework each application would under. Regards ...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
Help! Oh man, Im confused now... I didn't realize that the .net framework 2.0 wouldn't work through VS 2003... when I installed it, it killed my ability to debug on my local server.  Went to IIS, changed my folder properties to .net 2.0, still didnt' work... (which is when I looked here for info and realized that I can't use the 2.0 framework until I get a copy of VS 2005) So... I uninstalled .net framework 2.0 and went back to IIS and changed the ASPNET folder properties back to framework 1.1 and STILL I can't debug... I tried the "start without debugging" option and my webserver say...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
NET Framework 2.0 (CodeName: Whidbey) is the buzz word around and most of us would have installed the BETA versions to try our hands. However, after you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." This Article explains the scenario and provides the solution for the same. Hope it helps.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
..NET Framework 2.0 (CodeName: Whidbey) is the buzz word around and most of us would have installed the BETA versions to try our hands. However, after you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." This Article provides the solution for the same. Thanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Install .NET Framework 1.1 after 2.0
Hi All, I have a client that has a machine with .NET Framework 2.0 installed.  But my app runs in 1.1 Framework.  I do not want to run my App in the 2.0 Framework for fear of something breaking.  Do you know of any installation issues in regards to installing .NET Framework 1.1 after 2.0? Thanks, Chris    Chris What is the webserver version, if it is Windows2003, it will already have framework 1.1. If it is Windows 2000, Since you had a fear on installing, you can do one thing Uninstall 2.0, then install 1.1, after that install 2.0 again. But as ...

NET Framework 2.0 and NET Framework 1.1
Can framework 2.0 and framework 1.1 be installed and used on the same PC at same time? can asp.net 1.1 and asp.net 2.0 running site by site together? Thanks. Hi,yes they can. At my current machine I have these installed .NET 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 without any problems.Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. after creating a website don't forget to check that this website uses which version of .net (go to website properties--> ASP .NET in IIS)feed the creative machine...

Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server?
Hi, We have been hosting an app on a server that has ASP and ASP.net 1.1 support.  We are now moving to an ISP that has ASP, ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 plans.  We will soon migrate the development environment to VS 2005.  However, today we use VS 2003.  My question is can we initially deply to a server that has .net 2.0 support?  Are the 2.0 libs fully backward compatible? jerry    You can deploy a 1.1 app to a server runnuing both 1.1 and 2.0 by setting the framework version for the application on the server.  You can deploy many (bu...

Web resources about - Can I install two .NEt frameworks (1.1 and 2.0) in the same server - asp.net.installation-setup

Natasha Stott Despoja launches 'world first' framework to address domestic violence
Australia's first national, evidence-based domestic violence framework was launched at Parliament House on Tuesday.

Xposed framework for Android 6.0 Marshmallow could arrive this week
Towards the end of October we told you that Xposed framework for Android 6.0 Marshmallow would soon become available for all. While that's still ...

Safe Harbor 2.0 framework begins to capsize as January deadline nears
Planned revision to EU-US data sharing may very well be nixed by EU's top court.

UI Frameworks – Bootstrap
... you produce a responsive website. About Bootstrap To quote the Bootstrap website: “Bootstrap is the most popular HTML, CSS, and JS framework ...

Cisco Announces New Skills Framework to Address Evolving Technology
Internet of Things (IoT), cloud, business transformation and network programmability will influence all Cisco Career Certifications.

Google engineers craft a Dart framework for iOS and Android
The UI framework uses its own rendering engine to draw widgets

Google Launches Framework to Load Content on Mobile Web Quickly
Google gives publishers a way to load content faster on mobile Web; FireEye reveals new Android malvertising threat; Samsung's Q3 profit forecasts ...

The Complex Framework Of The UN Climate Talks, Demystified
As COP21 convenes this week in Paris, this data viz breaks down all you need to know about the history, key players, and big decisions. Yesterday, ...

Angular-Meteor links JavaScript frameworks
... build system improvements and ECMAScript compliance Angular-Meteor, Meteor's technology for using the Angular and Meteor JavaScript frameworks ...