Anyway to re-install .net framework on a botched install that wont un-install?

Newbie User (me)

64bit machine

Win Server 2008 Beta 3 Data Center  64bit

SharePoint Services 3.0

SharePoint Server

Project Server

SQL Express

SQL Server

Ok so All I wanted to do was get a test bed up for Project Server ..

I installed SharePoint Services and Project Server.. it worked ..  the tech update feature had a minor error at the end so as a newbie I just figured I would install Share Point Server to fix it ..  etc

.. then it seemed like I had some missing features in Project Server so I installed the AS DC (Domain controler) .. That screwed everything up because the domain controler should have been installed before all the other stuff ... (names and services where not registered properly in the Domain controler .. something to that effect - remember newbie)

So I tried to back out stuff leaving the Domain controler ..  nothing will uninstall.  Error is something to the effect of "This is needed by SharePoint" ...  No matter what I try SharePoint services or the Sharepoint server / project server will NOT uninstall.

Anyway so I uninstalled the domain controler .. screwed everything up again ..  to try to remove the sharepoint server-project server ..  still nothing will un-install.

One depends on the other .. or I should say one prevents the other from uninstalling .. so if one is fubared then your totally stuck.  I am limited to the repair feature of SharePoint...

Using the repair feature and a few other forum readings I have goten a a little closer to making this work.

One of the issues I have now is ... during one of the uninstall attempts I tried to remove a bunch of server services at the same time.

Win Server 2008 Beta 3 started the uninstall of SharePoint serices and ASP.NET ..   it tried to remove both and failed on SharePoint services ... so it left share point services ..  ASP.NET was deleted but the server requires ASP.NET so it put back the place holder that the software was installed even though it was deleted.  (it could have been deleted during the domain removal I didn't notice it missing until later)

Right now my Program Files\Microsoft.NET\  directory is empty beside a directory for Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.xml

I can't install .net framework because the install package reports "Already installed" and finishes.

Sadly the .net framework install package does not come with a repair function.  That would be nice.

Any help fixing the framework issue would be nice.   I will post in the other section about removing SharePoint Server stuff, etc.

May be some pointers in the registery where i can convince WinServer 2008 Beta 3 that the framework is not really installed ?

Cheers,

Anon

Cheers,

Anon
0
AnonymousOne

If you still have files in this directory: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727

you should find this file: aspnet_regiis.exe

Use the /? parameter to see help (e.g. c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe /?)

aspnet_regiis.exe -ir will reinstall the .net framework

There are other programs in that directory for installing/uninstalling various features of the .net framework, such as for sql server or runtime browser capabilities. Hope this helps.

0
DkUltra
6/29/2007 2:19:28 AM

I have nothing in my MS.net directory ... but I will look for those files in one of the server install directories ... may be I can manually extract them and then try your idea.

Thanks !

If anyone has any registry knowledge on how to remove the "YES This is installed" toggle that would be great too ... then I can do an offical install.

Who knows what this newbie is going to miss doing the manual copy :-)

Cheers,

Anon
0
AnonymousOne

Creating custom installer to install .net framework and installer of another software
 hii m trying to create a custom installer which will install .net framework 2.0 and i have another installer  of a software that i also want to be installed on Install(System.Collections.IDictionary stateSaver) event. Is it possible with custom installer.or i need to use something else like setup Project/Web setup project.please help me out  Regardsnav  Hi nav, Based on my understanding, you want to install .NET Framework 2.0 and another installer with your setup project. If I have misunderstood you concern, please let me know. In my opinion, you need setup boot...

To install or not to install?

how to install .ner framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?
hello everyone!I got a problem, I have installed .net framework 2.0 in my computer, but now I need to install .net framework 1.1.The install process of .net framework 1.1 halt when it is stoping the IIS Admin.Can I install .net framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?Or I have to remove 2.0 and install 1.1 and 2.0 in sequence?Thank you very much! There is no sequence in .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installation.You can look into the installation log and check what's the problem.Can you post your installation errors?Maybe I can help you to fix the error through your...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Applications that Install the .NET while installing the app.
Does anyone know what applications currently install the .net framework? Specifically, I'm interested in which Microsoft applications install the .net framework without needing a separate download. For example, does Office 2003 install the .NET framework when the application is installed? Thanks in advance for the help. Steve usually the .net framework is installed by the manufacturer along with the OS. so almost every comp thats being shipped now with win xp has .net 1.1 hth***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Thanks for th...

Un-install/re-install and profile
XP sp3 and FF 3.6 on a desktop sys with 4gb mem. I think I need to un-install/re-install FF 3.6. Too many flaky effects as it is. How difficult would it be to back-up my profile and re-install when I have a fresh FF installed? What's involved? Thx, P "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule." On 04/12/2011 11:32 PM, Puddin' Man wrote: > XP sp3 and FF 3.6 on a desktop sys with 4gb mem. > > I think I need to un-install/re-install FF 3.6. Too many flaky effects as it is. > > How difficult would it be to back-up m...

Debian Installation with the Net-Installer RC2
Debian Installation with the Net-Installer RC2 http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9271 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** There are many ways of installing Debian, this is just how I do it. This guide is dedicated to all the newbies out there, and users with old boxes. *********************************************************** Unquote *********************************************************** -- Kayode Okeyode http://del.icio.us/kayodeok http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ ...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

Can I install dot net framework 2 if 1.1 is already installed?
I notice my development laptop has dot net Framework (presume 1.0) and dot net Framework 1.1 installed. I'd like to start gettting familiar with dot net Framework 2. Can I add this in or do I need to uninstall the 1.x versions first? I presume that my previous dot net framework 1.x apps will still function if I install dot net Framework 2. Is this the case? Thanks, For sure you can have both on one machine. Just install the .NET framework 2.0, then you will have an additional tab in the IIS  MMC, which allows you to specify the framework each application would under. Regards ...

re-install upon re-install
Name: Jan Erik Hedberg Email: hedbergatcooldotdk Product: Thunderbird Summary: re-install upon re-install Comments: I have now - for days - tried to download the latest version of T-bird, but every time it gets to installation, it doesn't install properly (some partial flaws make it try to re-install, time and time again) What can I do? This is on my laptop... On my stationary, I seem to to be unable to receive any post at all! I get a notification on re-writing my password. When doing it, I get a notification from postserver about "cucipop. Invalid password...

Active Perl un-installed and re-installed
Hello, I'm running Bugzilla version 3 - Active Perl 5.8.8 was acidentally un-installed. I have re-installed it but now I get an "Internal Server Error" when trying to access the website. Additional error is: Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.0 mod_auth_sspi/1.0.4 Server at ndi02s03 Port 80 I wasn't the person who originally installed it so not very familiar with the application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave in Cleveland, OH =20 > Hello, > I'm running Bugzilla version 3 - Active Perl 5.8.8 was acidentally > un-install...

Installation of datawindow
I have seen this posted earlier on this forum however there has never been a solution given to the issue of the installation of DW.NET giving the error can not find Visual Studio.NET thus not registering the control. I can go and do this manually in VS.NET however this is a pain in the butt to do. Is there a solution to this problem???? Thanks TPS ...

Web resources about - Anyway to re-install .net framework on a botched install that wont un-install? - asp.net.installation-setup

Go ahead and un-install .Net, but you'll CRIPPLE Windows Server 2012
Microsoft Support issues an unusual and confusing 'clarification' Microsoft has posted some unusual advice for those considering the removal ...

North Korea's Kim Jong-Un installs series of runways to land private jets
His father may have been afraid to fly, but North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has such a love of private jets that he is building small runways ...

ICANN creates 'UN Security Council for the internet', installs itself as a permanent member
Now to 'protect children through a browser' In the same week that the United Nations finally gave up trying to grab control of the internet, ...