The custom control works fine, but hard to work with in VS 2003 Design Mode

I developed a custom control. It works fine, does everything I wanted. The problem is when I try to use it in Design mode, the box for the control is very small, with no visual clue on where it is and what it does. I would like to make it so when a developer drags the control to the webpage, it shows something... How do you program this? There must be a way... I just can't figure it out.. probably has to do with attributes... but not sure.

0
elikfunglau
10/4/2003 6:52:41 AM
asp.net.hosting-open-forum 4216 articles. 0 followers. Follow

We are discussing about non-user controls? (Just making sure).

Usually custom controls are attached so called designer (class that extends ControlDesigner class), that governs the workings of control on design.
You can read about these things here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpcondesign-timeforwebforms.asp
Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke
10/4/2003 8:45:46 AM
Also check out the book, "Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components" by Kothari and Datye from Microsoft Press. Especially chapters 10, 12, and 15.  One warning: the book is written in C#, notwithstanding the comment at the front of the book that the authors will explain differences between C# and VB (they give up after about chapter 4).  Some of the examples are quite difficult to convert, but I've finally been successful in getting all of them (through chapter 12) converted.

That said, the book conveys the concepts very well (just not in VB).
Cheers,
Owen
0
ojm37

I just converted to VS 2003... now none of my controls work in design mode.
I'm hoping someone out there has seen this problem before.. any insight would be greatly appreciated! I just installed Visual Studio 2003 and opened an existing ASP.NET project. The project appears to have converted fine. My custom server controls work in the application, but I can't add or modify them on the page in design mode. I am also unable to drag-and-drop my custom controls from the toolbox to the page. When I open an .aspx to edit, I get the usual 'Error Creating Control' with the following message: Parser Error: Request for the permission of type System.Web.AspNetHostin...

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Send email work in VS 2003 but did not work in VS 2005
Send email work in VS 2003 but did not work in VS 2005. Can someone show me how to code to send email in VS 2005? Without seeing your code or runtime error(s), it is hard to determine what specific issues you are having between .NET versions 1.x and 2.0. However, in .NET 2.0, you should be using the System.Net.Mail namespace instead of the System.Web.Mail namespace. The following blog article demonstrates sending mail using the System.Net.Mail namespace: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/10/432854.aspxRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow ...

Multifile assembly server control not working in VS.NET designer
..NET supports multifile assembly, in which an assembly manifest is in one file and can contain links to other resource files. In theory, I should be able to get the linked resources in my code using Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetFile(...) or Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(...). This works normally when the control is running on the web server. It does not work when the control is running in the VS.NET visual designer. In VS.NET visual designer, the GetManifestResourceStream returns null as if it cannot find the resource. However, if I choose "View...

Report works fine on VS.NET 2003, get error when uploaded
Hello,I created a report and use stored procedure to retrieve data. The report works perfect on VS.NET 2003 IDE. But when I upload the .rdl file to the report server, it doesn't work. The error msg I got is:Reporting Services Error An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Get Online Help Query execution failed for data set 'dsTransTime'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) Get Online Help Procedure 'usp_RPT_Procedure_Name' expects parameter '@Parameter1', which was not supplied. Anyone know the problem?Thanks, Finally, I make it works. But I still don't k...

I have developed activex control, using it in PB application.. it is giving GPF.. which is working fine in VB.. When i made enabled property = false for that control.. it works fine in PB too!!!
Hello, I have this problem.. can any one help me. What may be the causing error.. Any tips will be helpful. Regards, Samir Please refrain from using the subject line to describe the problem in detail. Subject Line: ---------------- I have developed activex control, using it in PB application.. it is giving GPF.. which is working fine in VB.. When i made enabled property = false for that control.. it works fine in PB too!!! <SamirKhatri> wrote in message news:2EAE243802D2BE050024C40485256CA0.0024C41B85256CA0@webforums... > Hello, > > I have this problem....

After opening DNN 2.0 solution in VS.NET 2003 DNN stops working
Hey I couldn't find a solution to my problem. I did a clean install of DotnetNuke 2 and everithing works just great (database is installed and I can work with the portal), but a soon as I open the solution of DNN in VS.NET 2003, I get an error in IE: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( 1.0.10 ) does not match the Database Version ( 1.0.-1 ) After that I can't make the portal to work. What's wrong? Thanks, Jure I rebuilt the solution and DNN started working again....

Which version of the .net framework works with VS.NET 2003
Can VS.NET 2003 run any version of the .net framework? I.E. - can this version run 2.0 of .net framework? Hi,VS2003 compiles for .NET Framework 1.1. Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU although vs2003 targets the 1.1 framework, in many cases, applications created with vs2003 will run on both the 1.1 and 2.0 framework.backwards compatibility was an important goal for MS when the 2.0 framework was being created.you would need to thoroughly test to be sure though.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp?frame=true#"docum_topic3"...

DW design mode working exe not working
Hi all, I'm using PB 8.0.2 build 9056, installed on win2000 I'm facing a weird problem , I have a datawindow that is working fine while running the application from within power builder, but when I'm building the exe(dynamic library PBD and full rebuild), then the datawindow will not work properly, and it generate a "close/detail" error and the application will closed. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this case? Any help will be very appreciated Thx in advance Rabih Compile with one pbd per pbl !!! On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:07:39 ...

Control design details and Collection items keep disappearing from VS.Net 2003 design view
This is a major nuisance. I don't know for how long, but for quite some time, I have experienced most (sometimes all) design work in certain controls like Farpoint Spread View, Component Arts Suite, DotnetCharting and possibly others simply vanish from VS.Net 2003. It seems to happen when switching between html and desing view, and/or when closing/reopening projects.I have contacted the different Component vendors, but according to them, this behaviour cannot be reproduced. Does it have something to do with a previous install of Whidbey Beta 1? Only yesterday I tried to reinstall VS.Net...

Working
I have two servers running NW65sp4A (different trees). I initially installed BM3.8 patched to sp4 with VPN services ( Firewall services to follow after I know I have VPN working). My problem is that it appears to be working but its not working. I can open my Windows Explorer (from the SLAVE side network) and reach the MASTER, authenticate and open files. The MASTER NRM VPN monitor shows 1 (one) Active Connections 0 (zero) Packets Received and lots of Packets Sent. The VPN Member List Status shows both servers as �Being Configured�. The Audit Log has two recurring RED entrie...

How do I select multiple controls (holding CTRL key doesn't work for me) in VS 2008 as it did in VS 2003
I am trying to Align controls left, and the way I used to do it was to select the control I wanted to align, hold downt he CTRL key and select the control that I wanted to align to, and then click Format, Align, Align left.  The ctrl key doesnt' work for me, and I can't find the Format, Align, Align Left.  Where did it go? Selecting multiple controls on the VS2008 design surface is not currently supported.  It does sound like this feature will be brought back in a future version though. refer: http://forums.asp.net/t/1187256.aspxMike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a sit...

Validation controls does not work on my site but work fine on my development server
Validation controls does not work on my site but work fine on my development server. Everything work well on my developemnt server but it doesn't work when I uploaded it to my website. Please help!! I'm having the same problem...Windows 2003 Small Business Server. Read this: http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=6beedd9c.0307141018.49d49062%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522IIS%2B6%2522%2Bvalidator%26hl%3Dde%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D6beedd9c.0307141018.49d49062%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D1...

Ajax partial rendering not working in IIS, working fine in VS
I installed the ASP.net Ajax 1.0 framework on my pc. The works fine. Partial rendering works good. I am running VS2005 on my pc. When I deploy the webpage to a webserver that runs IIS, the partial rendering doesn't work. The whole page posts back. I did instal the AJAX framework 1.0 on the server too.  Any thoughts why I am getting this issue? Hi, Based on your description, It still postbacks and AJAX doesn't work. Is that any error appear, especially, the JavaScript error 'sys'. You can check if the error 'sys' appears in your browser . If so, check i...

Web resources about - The custom control works fine, but hard to work with in VS 2003 Design Mode - asp.net.hosting-open-forum

Now you can control your GoPro Camera from Apple Watch
One of the nicest features of the GoPro camera is the ability to control it using the iPhone app. With the GoPro App , you can easily control ...

Control a car's features with a glance? Not science fiction
Filed under: Emerging Technologies , Infotainment , Technology Press a button to change your car's climate controls? Turn a knob to view your ...

Arizona leaders welcome 'Leave No Child Behind' successor, less federal control
azcentral.com Arizona leaders welcome 'Leave No Child Behind' successor, less federal control azcentral.com The Senate gave final approval ...

FTC and healthcare cost control
... Pennsylvania, and lead to reduced quality and higher health care costs for the area’s employers and residents….the merged entity would control ...

Google seems more determined than ever to take control of Android
... to ad money. However, Google grabbed the lion’s share of the smartphone market by giving Android away. That means it lost the ability to control ...

How to control your iPhone by just tilting your head
... the best sight, hearing, or motor functions to still use iOS to its fullest capabilities — but they can also be used to customize your controls. ...

Fox Presents Ben Stein As An Awesome, Stupendous Gun Control Genius
Fox News host Neil Cavuto was super-impressed with “great writer and thinker” Ben Stein's opposition to gun control. “The problem is not gun ...

White House: We’re Not Going To Wait Until Something Happens To Pass Gun Control
Reporter: 'Where any of the recent mass shooters on the no-fly list?' Earnest: 'Not that I'm aware of'

The NFL Should Seize Control Of The Cleveland Browns
Drew Magary’s Thursday Afternoon NFL Dick Joke Jamboroo runs every Thursday during the NFL season. Email Drew here . Read more...