DNS Configuration for External DNS Servers

Could someone please clarify something in the documentation for HMC v3.0 for me please?

Create the DNS Zone for the consolidatedmessenger Reseller
DW.128
DW.129 Configure Zone Transfers

In this section it describes the process for configuring the External DNS servers and creating the Reseller "consolidatedmessenger.com".
Q: Is this actually meant to be implemented per the reference architecture? How would I then access this Reseller and configure all of the other items which are associated with it?
Q: Or should I simply follow the steps while replacing the "consolidatedmessenger.com" name with one of my own choosing.
Q: If answer to the above question is yes, then can I or should I use the name of my AD organization (reseller.net) or do I have to use another name altogether and then start creating additional reseller orgs as necessary?

I have configured all of the servers called for in the Reference Archtiecture except DNS02, DNS03, and DNS04. The reason I have not configured these servers yet, is because I already have two external ISP provided, DNS servers for my root AD domain. (reseller.net). I need clarification on exactly what I am supposed to do in this instance. Here is what I have come up with so far.

1. Create a primary DNS zone on DNS01 which is the same name as the primary zone of my AD-integrated zone.

2. Following the documentation, create additional primary zones for each reseller organization on DNS01.

3. Configure all of the interfaces, etc on DNS01 per the documentation.

4. Configure DNS zone transfers to occur to the two external DNS servers for the (reseller.net) domain using their hostnames and IP addresses which are already accessible on the internet.

5. Make them slave/secondary servers for the (reseller.net) domain and configure them to receive zone transfers from DNS01 using the Public IP address of my router designated for the (reseller.net) domain.

Thank you very much in advance for you help with these questions.

0
HackerX
3/8/2005 12:06:01 AM
asp.net.hosting-open-forum 4216 articles. 0 followers. Follow

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

OES2 DNS Installation Error "Failed to configure DNS Server"
Hello NG On our SLES10 SP1 with OES2 i tried to install DNS. Unfortunatelly it doesn't work. Each time i try to configure the server I receive the following error. "Failed to configure DNS Server" I started an LDAP trace and it displayed me the following erros. Some ideas how to solve this problem? I checked the following TID 3884721 and 7000181 Thanks Ramon (10.0.1.25:53760)(0x0041:0x63) Sending operation result 0:"":"" to connection 0xc8c6900 (10.0.1.25:53760)(0x0042:0x66) DoModify on connection 0xc8c6900 (10.0.1.25:53760)(0x0042:0x6...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

External DNS
we are having the following 2 issues: 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an access all internal sites. 2 - we do have dns configured in IManager to send out DNS info to the VPN client - BUT we are ubable to ping internal servers by name only by ip.. please help Menachem Kain hi, > 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to > acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an > access all intern...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DNS Server with Forward List
I have hard coded in the client the address of the local DNS server ( on privite side of border maner server) to resolve IP addresses. The DNS Server has a forwarding list of 2 external DNS Servers on the Internet. When I go to a command prompt and ping an external URL I do not get a response. However, when I use IE5 and I access the web page, why can't I ping the host from the command prompt. Pete Watters wrote: > The DNS Server has a forwarding list of 2 external DNS Servers on the > Internet. When I go to a command prompt and ping an external URL...

DNS statistics show DNS servers are down
Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11. All patches current, SP9 for NW, BM36SP2A and C02 update. Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from Cogent Co. 2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO) show down. Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the time. Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help. JIm Boettger Hi Jim, Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down" servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won...

how to configure dns accelerator or reverse dns?
Is it possible to configure reverse dns proxy? When I tried to do it with generic udp proxy, it says port 53 is assigned to be used by dns proxy although what I am trying to configure is the dns accelerator not the dns forward proxy. All this trouble because I am trying to avoid NAT. Virgilio In article <hCWMa.5879$2k7.269@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > what I am trying to configure is the dns accelerator > ? I doubt you are going to find a better way to do this than static NAT, but you might be able to get DNS proxy to listen on the publ...

dns failover to secondary dns server
--____GWHFDEEECZAAULLYWYMO____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 26 Aug 2009 16:19:44 +0200" Hi, Running 2 x Netware 6.5sp8 servers with DNS/DHCP. When the primary DNS = server goes down all Windows XP workstations fail-over to the secondary = DNS server and everything works perfectly. The Windows 2003 servers do = not fail-over to the secondary DNS server. The "ipconfig /all" shows the = 2 dns servers IP addresses. Both the workstations and ser...

NW65 DNS as public DNS Server?
We have 2 NW6 servers that provide DNS for our ISP that host web, email and several other services. The servers perform well in our enviroment. I want to upgrade the servers to NW65 but I wanted some input first before we made the change. 1. Is anyone using NW65 DNS for public DNS in a fairly heavily loaded enviroment? 2. If so, how is the reliability and performance? 3. Any significant changes I should know about? When we first installed the NW6 DNS Servers we had a not of problems that took a great deal of time and effort to get resolved due to a bad ver of named...

Internal DNS server (New to DNS)
We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console. We need to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 - www.nashcc.edu 10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15. The DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME and PTR record also...

Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers
My server is the Authoratitive DNS server for my domain. if the NAMED service is down, no one can resolve to my web site. It seems as if my DNS settings are not propogating to other DNS servers on the Internet to be cached there. What settings do I have to change to make this happen ? Steve -- Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info. If they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that info so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but even then the caching is probably only for a short time. The only way t...

external dns records on internal dns?
woah!!!! love the new web interface... anyway I want to replace my external dns server, which is currently running on a Dell Optiplex GX1. This machine is currently sitting outside of my firewall, which is a cisco pix 515e, running 6.3(3) os. I want to setup a virtual machine on one of my three ESX 3.5 servers that sit on the inside of my firewall, and have it handle the "external" records for my domains. I have the os setup, imported the dns settings from the old server, etc. my problem is that when I go to dnsstuff.com and do a report on my domain, it says...

Configuring a DNS Server
After all this DNSB stuff I though I would have a go at configuring my own DNS server on Win7 so I downloaded BIND from isc.org, installed it and configured it and now I have changed the network configuration to say the DNS servers is on 127.0.0.1. I can lookup records in the zone file and also do reverse lookups. It also is able to do recursion so I can lookup www.microsoft.com and get the right answer. The browser works OK. What I am stuck on at the moment is the source port randomization. When I go to Steve's spoofability page the source port randomization is one straig...

No DNS servers configured
Hi, I am getting the following errors in the access gateway link in the iManager (when i click the Health icon). Error1: No DNS servers configured. (Required Action) Configure DNS servers through ip command. DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 responded 3 second(s) ago. (Required Action) Configure DNS servers through ip command. DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2 responded 1 second(s) ago. (Required Action) Configure DNS servers through ip command. DNS server xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3 responded 3 second(s) ago. (Required Action) Configure DNS servers through ip command. Error2: The HTTP Reverse...

How to configure DNS on Netware Server after it's already been configured
When I originally setup my Netware 6, sp4 servers we were not hosting any DNS services locally - everything went out to our ISP. We were still relying on IPX on the Netware side of our network to find servers and map drives. So, in the configuration dialogue when the DNS stuff came up, I skipped it. Now I am setting up DNS locally and would like to go into these NW6, sp4 servers and configure that section. Probably a 'dumb' question, however I really don't know how to get those configuration screens back up so I can enter the DNS information. Thanks! Cheryl ...

2 DNS Server exchanging their DNS Information?
I've got two subnets. In each subnet there is netware dns server. no i want that both server exchange their information. s that i can ping from subnet A to a hostname in subnet B (I can ping from a subnet to the other, when i know the ip address of the hostname). on the DNS SERVER A i added in the forwarding list the ip address DNS SERVER B. Then i renewed my ip address an try to ping to subnet B. but this didn't work. What should I also change? sincerely M. Bernasconi In article <hQhmf.6814$ME5.5399@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Massimo Bernasconi wrote: &...

DNS not resolving correctly from 1 dns server
Hi, I have 2 servers (NW65sp3) servicing a zone. 1 server isn't working correctly. I have found the below issue when using NSLOOKUP from my pc. I connect to my working server and enter a server name, 'server' - it resolves ok and gives me a result of server.domain From a second command prompt I run nslookup and connect to my second dns server - i try to resolve the same server name 'server' - i get the below error.. *** dnssvr.domain can't find server: Server failed But if I type in the full domain name of server.domain then it resolves ok. I&#...

Adding DNS Server to existing DNS proxy
I currently have DNS proxy running on my BM server. I have a four-server environment. One "production", one "backup production", one BorderManager, one backup BM that keeps a VPN running even when it is not the BM server. I would like to add NAMED to at least my production server. Can I, as I have two DA's running, one each on the production and backup production servers, run NAMED on both my production and backup production servers? I would like to have as many things be automatic when we switch from the production to the backup server as possible, e...

Minimal DNS answer using Net::DNS
I've used xinetd to set up a test nameserver on port 1024. Here's the Net::DNS Perl I'm using to say (falsely) that news.yahoo.com resolves to 10.1.2.3 with a TTL of 1 day: $res = Net::DNS::Packet->new(); $rr = Net::DNS::RR->new("news.yahoo.com. 86400 A 10.1.2.3"); $res->push(answer => $rr); print $res->data; According to Net::DNS, here's the prettyprint version of the packet I create: ;; HEADER SECTION ;; id = 26432 ;; qr = 0 opcode = QUERY aa = 0 tc = 0 rd = 1 ;; ra = 0 ad = 0 cd = 0 rcode = NOERROR ;; qdcount =...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

Web resources about - DNS Configuration for External DNS Servers - asp.net.hosting-open-forum

Pusher configuration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a craft with a pusher configuration the propeller (s) are mounted behind their respective engine(s). According to Bill Gunston , a "pusher ...

Facebook Simplifies XCode Configuration, Adds App Events To IOS SDK
Facebook released a new software-development kit for iOS , version 3.6 , the social network announced in a post on its developer blog . continued… ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...

All configurations of Nexus 6p back in stock at Google Store
... variants. Considering the fact the Nexus 6p hasn’t been on the market very long just yet, we wouldn’t be surprised if some of these configurations ...

Killer 5-Day Deal: Free AppleCare with all early-2015 13" MacBook Pros & $119-$200 off custom configurations ...
... free plus instant discounts on all of Apple's standard early-2015 13" MacBook Pros, or save between $119 and $200 on select custom configurations ...