Cant drag-and-drop Web Custom Control to Web Form!

Hi,

I'm going insane here, I've read countless articles how to create a Web Custom Control and add it to the Toolbox and then just Drag-and-Drop it to a Web Form.

And I have done exactly that except for the last step, any Web Custom Control I create refuses to be Drag-and-Dopped to the Web Form.

What happens is the following, after I have added the Web Custom Control to the ToolBox I click it and drag it to the Web Form designer area. First I can see the icon of the Web Custom Control and I see a Referance being created but just after that the icon changes to one of those "you cant park here signs" (round circle with a line across from top right to lower left) appears and does not allow me to add the control to the Web Form?

I've checked the HTML section of the Web Form and nothing is added there, but I can if I like add the control in code and it will show up after I build the project, but refuses to be bound to the Designer so that I can tell it where to display the control if created in code it always displays in the upper left corner.

I have tried everything I can think of and even compiled projects I downloaded to get it to allow me to Drag-and-Drop the controls and it just wont let me. The example project compile without a problem and the Web Custom Controls can easily be added to the Toolbox but cant be dragged onto a Web From.

I even created a new Web Control Library and changed the inheritance to inherit the DataGrid Web Control and removed all other code which should mean that my new Web Custom Control is a clone of the DataGrid Web Control and it still didnt work.

Is there anybody that has experianced this behaviour before?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Best Regards,
Claudio
0
claudio
8/21/2005 4:58:10 PM
asp.net.hosting-open-forum 4216 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ok this is what I have found out so far after looking into some alternats.

I have a laptop so what I did was installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 on it and made a simple Web Application project and a Web Control Library - compiled the Custom Control and added it to the Toolbox and drag-and-dropped it to the Web Form without any problem.

So basically on another system I dont get the same problem so I guess the problem has to be system specific, so the following is my setup:

OS:           Windows Server 2003
Services:   Terminal Services, SQL Server 2000, IIS 6

The biggest differance is of course that I use Terminal Services to login to the server, I dont know how much this could have to do with it but seems very wierd as everything else works perfectly. Also recently I migrated from another server with the exact same setup and on that Server the Custom Controls could be dragged to a Web From.

I guess the question is what the designer in VS is doing when a Custom Control is dragged to a form, is there any security involved on the IIS?

Also to end my post here I have re-installed Visual Studio from scratch, now I'm just in the process of re-installing the IIS services.

Let see if that helps as re-installing VS didnt help.

I would appriciate any input no matter how crazy it might sound. :o)

Regards,
Claudio
0
claudio
8/21/2005 10:00:21 PM
Still nobody that has a clue?

Would really appriciate any input.

Thank you,
Claudio

0
claudio

I cannot drag web custom controls from toolbox to web form
I have created some web custom controls (both composite controls or derived/inherited controls).  I successfully added them to the toolbox. However, when I try to drag them onto the form, the cursor changes into a black circle with a diagonal line, and cannot drag them.  I also tried double-clicking them from the toolbox but it still won't work. I sent the Control Library (DLL) to a friend, and he managed to use it properly.  I am assuming this is a problem with my Visual Studio. Has anyone encountered such a problem?  Any suggestions or solutions?   Thanks. I...

Web Custom Control within a Web Custom Control
I was wondering if this can be done and how. I've created a simple custom control that displays a header which is my first custom control. So I'm just a baby when it comes to this.. Within the header I currently have a property for breadcrumbs which is a string. What I would like to do is have the breadcrumb property  be a Link Button List. I did find a custom control of a Link Button List which is exactly what I wanted. My question is how can/do  I include this into my custom control? Can it done? How? Please help? I'm at a lose here.   Susan You should be able to do ...

custom web user control and web form

Custom Web Control inside another Custom Web Control
Hi I created a custom web control (CusWebNew) that displays some textboxes by adding them to the ControlCollection of the webcontrol. I also created a custom webcontrol (CustWebButton) that inherts from Button control, and overrided the OnClick function. When I use CustWebButton on a regular web form, it seems to function correctly. However, when I added to be part of the ControlCollection of CustWebNew, it stops to work.   Any ideas why? Thanks Hey, What do you mean by stops to work?  Explain what you are trying to do with it and what it doesn't do.Brian"Trust in the...

Reusing custom web control in the same web control
Hello, I'm newbie in web development and of course asp.net. I am actually trying to build my first page and I'd like to know if it is possible to make a custom webcontrol that will contain itself. Let's say I want to draw a folder hierarchy in treeview-like structure. I thought I could make a control that will display a folder and if this folder contains subfolders then for each the control will include itself. Is this even possible? What would you suggest me to do to? Thanks in advance. TomTom Hagen http://thagen.dteam.info If the control can have child controls, then I s...

cannot drag web custom control onto form
I cannot drag web custom controls onto form designer. even the default template 'WebCustomControl1' i can't drag onto forms. These are built in a separate assembly than my web project code-behind. I have even added the 'TagPrefix' attribute to the assembly.The symptom: The cursor becomes the No symbol (circle with slash).However, i tried moving the web custom control classes to the web project assembly, rebuilding,and re-adding them to the toolbox-this works fine.thanks!nevermind- it's working now don't know whycheers :: thomas...

web web web

What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control
Hi ,please could you answer for the following question with example. i know wht they are. but i want to know hw they are existing in web pages with simple example. What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control?  Thanks in AdvanceDilip    Check this out .... hope these might help you out... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893667http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa651710(VS.71).aspx itsUrDAY  Hi, See the following URLs: https://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fb3w5b53(VS.71).aspx(Introduction to Web User Contr...

Server Web User Control or Web Custom Control
Ok, I made a DataGrid I like, stuck it in a Web Control Lib, and then to my toolbar. Now I want to take my nice little control and add it to a greater control, maybe place some buttons around it etc. I could always inherit from it in a new custom control and dynamically add the buttons, but I thought about using a Web User Control. I thought I could easily create a Web User Control, drop on my grid and the buttons on a form, and expose some properties and events, but once I got into it, I got a feeling that this isn't what a Web User Control is for. When designing a control li...

Use Web Custom control or Web User control?
Friends,  I have a generic aspx page and its functions which is used in many .NET web application. The generic page contains a HTML Div control, server drop down list, server buttons, server textbox and it have different server and client functions to do its tasks for calling aspx pages in web applications. My problem is I do not know whether I should make that generic page as a web user control (but this is tedious because all other application folders must store frontpage aspx and code behind files of the generic page) or as a web custom control (This seems to be good beca...

Custom Web Control wont drag and drop to the page!
Hi Guys! Hope you can help me with this one..I am using CMS and tried to create a custom web control which is really a fancy placeholder. but when I tried to drag it to a web form, I get this 'can't place it in here' sign. To eliminate a CMS issue being involved, I then started a new web custom control project, then a web application project, added the control to the toolbox from the compiled dll of the custom web control project, tried to drag it.. still nothing (won't drag and drop.. while all the other controls would), and I am doing nothing but using the template web control that Visual ...

Web control in web control

Web resources about - Cant drag-and-drop Web Custom Control to Web Form! - asp.net.hosting-open-forum

Drag and drop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer graphical user interfaces , drag-and-drop is the action of (or support for the action of) selecting a virtual object by "grabbing" ...

Facebook Rolling Out Drag-And-Drop Photo Uploading
Uploading photos to Facebook just got easier. As first reported by Inside Facebook , the social network is rolling out drag-and-drop capability, ...

Facebook Offers New Drag-and-Drop Interface For Reordering Photos and Albums
Using a new drag-and-drop interface, Facebook users can now reorder photos within an album without going to “Edit Album Info”, and can also change ...

Open Source Spotlight - Yabi: Bringing drag-and-drop to supercomputers
Supercomputers are powerful tools for scientists. They are also very expensive, so wasted time can mean a lot of wasted resources. But making ...

Hangouts On The Web Gets Slick Drag And Drop Image Sharing
... to share an image over Hangouts. Just drag and drop the file... by Bertel King, Jr. in Google, News

Drag-and-drop on the go with the updated Weebly app
Get real-time stats and create or edit your site from anywhere with this updated website building app.

Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Screen Sharing adds drag and drop file transfers
Remote Screen Sharing is enhanced in this summer's release of OS X Mountain Lion, adding support for drag and drop file transfers between the ...

Stardock Start8 1.1 gains new features, including drag-and-drop and multi-monitor support
... replacement. Start8 1.1 adds full drag-and-drop support, plus allows users to pin folders to the Start menu that can be viewed as a Jump List. ...

Official Gmail Blog: Drag and drop attachments to save them to your desktop
Official Gmail Blog: Drag and drop attachments to save them to your desktop