Adding controls to a Custom DataGrid Server Control

Edited by SomeNewKid. Please post code between <code> and </code> tags.

I'm working on creating my own customized datagrid control. I've created a class which inherits "System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid" and when I add my new datagrid control library to my project it seems to work nicely. Now I want to add some submit buttons to appear at the bottom of my datagrid control. How do I do this? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie at server controls. Here's what I've tried:
Public Class UberDataGrid

Inherits DataGrid
Private MyButton As Button
Private Sub UberDataGrid_Init(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
Me.AllowPaging = True
Me.PagerStyle.Mode = WebControls.PagerMode.NumericPages
Me.PageSize = 10
MyButton=New Button
MyButton.ID="MyNewButton"
Me.Controls.Add(MyButton)
End Sub
End Class

When I do this I get the datagrid ok, but no button. I didn't really expect this to work :), but I'm not sure how to add controls to my custom data grid control.
I think I could probably do it by creating a new custom control which adds the custom datagrid control and the button to it like the following:
    Public Class MyDataGridControl

Inherits Control
Implements INamingContainer
Private MyButton As Button
Private MyGrid As UberDataGrid
'Add the custom datagrid and button here
End Sub
End Class

But when I do this, I'm not sure how to access the datagrid's template information. What I mean is in the first example I could do this in my aspx page:
<cc1:UberDataGrid id="" DataSource="".....>

<Columns>
<asp:TemplateColumn>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</cc1:UberDataGrid>

But In the second example I don't know how to create the template information of the custom datagrid. Can anyone help me?
0
travisb
12/6/2004 10:36:26 PM
asp.net.hosting-open-forum 4216 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Adding control to custom control
Is it possible to add a control (e.g. a LinkButton) to a custom control I'm programming? Basically, I'm making a file browser custom control. I have a property called Path which has the absolute path to the folder the user is browsing. I can get all the folders and files to list easily. However, I want the folder names to be links which, when clicked, will change the path to the currently clicked folder. Is this possible? Yes, it is. What you are looking at is called composite controls. I have written an article on this which you may read over here: http://aspalliance.com/359-- Ju...

Custom Control within a Control Control

Templated Custom Control not updating host designer.cs file with child server control variables.
Hello, I have a custom web control that acts as a collapsable gradient header and containter all in one. I followed the MS example closly and got a decent control that works well. But then I ran into a problem, if I add another nested server control to the content area of my custom control on any given page, it doesn't add the protected cooresponding variabe in the pages designer code module. Below is an example of the problem, in the page TestPage.aspx the nested control "TextBox1" should show up in the TestPage.aspx.designer.cs but does not. I have a feeling that this ha...

Adding a custom ItemTemplate to a custom DataGrid control
The following article shows how to create a custom ItemTemplate for a custom repeater control: http://aspalliance.com/articleViewer.aspx?aId=366&pId=5 Does anyone know how to do this for the ItemTemplate of a DataGrid control? Same story :-) . Instead, let me give you a whiz on how the DataGrid would work (from cut and past and adapt): public class CustomItemTemplate : ITemplate { private DataGrid grid; public void InstantiateIn(Control container) { Label label = new Label(); label.DataBinding += new EventHandler(LabelDataBounded); ...

adding custom properties to a custom server control
1.  I want to add a public property to a custom server control.  the property is called Search Type and the possible choices that will appear in the properties window from the asp.net page would be client, provider, vendor and service.  I want this property to function much like the border style property works for an asp.net button. 2.  My second question would be how do I add a section to the properties window?  What i mean is for this custom server control, i want to add a section called Search Features much like the appearance or behavior sections for an asp.net ...

how to raise server control event(control defined inside user control) from host page?
I have built a user control(using c#,net 2.0,VS2005,MS-SQL server 2005),which contains set of 3 button,save,cancel and next and wud be reused/displayed in multiple pages.As the name says,they are suppose to update on save,reset the fields   on cancel and navigate to another page on next.How do i raise the onClick event for all of these button individually,from the individual host page?I do not have/do not prefer any logic,event handler etc.. defined in the user control for these buttons,since every host page have different set of parameters for save,cancel etc.Thanks...

Adding controls to a User Custom Control
I have a user custom control I'm trying to make and I want to add three drop down boxes.  What's the correct way to add these three items?  I've been looking for a tutorial or a hint on the internet for awhile and I can't find anything. ...

Adding a custom control in an user control
Hi there,I'm having problems in adding a custom control to a user control. When I Register the control in a aspx Page there is no problem but when I'm adding the control to the ascx Control then the error " File or assembly name WC.MyControl, or one of its dependencies, was not found." occurs. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm not doing at all.Here is my codeWebForm1.aspx:<%@ Register Tagprefix="wc" Tagname="XmlMenuControl" Src="XmlMenuControl1.ascx" %><%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="ASPNETPage.WebForm1" %&g...

Custom Server Control with Child Controls
I have a custom server control <xx.Parent... /> which parses custom child controls <xx.Child... />. In Visual Studio 2008, IntelliSense shows me both when I start typing my control namespace. How can I prevent the child control from showing up in IntelliSense  unless I'm adding it within the parent tags?Thanks. --Rudy...

Web resources about - Adding controls to a Custom DataGrid Server Control - asp.net.hosting-open-forum

Amazon takes control of delivery with thousands of semi truck trailers
As Amazon looks for new ways to speed up delivery, the company on Friday announced the purchase of thousands of semi truck trailers. The Seattle-based ...

The awkward pivot from gun control to terrorism.
... and even before the cops killed Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, many commentators and politicos plugged in their usual call for gun control. ...

more pics from Ground Control Touring 15th anniversary: Woods, Kurt Vile, Parquet Courts, Beach Fossils ...
... Parquet Courts / Woods & Kurt Vile / Beach Fossils @ Webster Hall 12/2/2015 We already posted a review and set of pictures from Ground Control ...

Robinson: Quickest Way To Force Gun Control? Form A ‘Black Rifle Association’
Robinson: Quickest Way To Force Gun Control? Form A ‘Black Rifle Association’

Open thread for night owls: First U.S. birth control clinic lasted just 10 days before being raided
... Parenthood Only Lasted for 10 Days but Started a Revolution . An excerpt: During her time in Europe, Sanger had seen Norwegian birth control ...

Watch a 4-year-old drive a dump truck by remote control
To prove the toughness of its latest FMX truck, Volvo turned it into an RC racer and handed the "keys" to the luckiest 4-year-old ever. The results ...

Amy Schumer 'Heartbroken' Over Failure of Gun Control Legislation
The comedian reacts to the Senate voting down a gun bill on Thursday.

Facebook Gives Users More Control Over Viral Content In News Feed
Facebook is updating its algorithm to give users more control over how high viral content appears in their News Feed.

BUSINESS IS BOOMING Firearm buys likely to spike amid gun control push
BUSINESS IS BOOMING Firearm buys likely to spike amid gun control push