Retrograding httpHandler from .NET 2.0 to 1.1, get "Parser Error Message: Could not create type" message

Hi there,

I have written a httpHandler using VS2005 and .NET 2.0 that builds and works fine.

However, I am now having to convert it to .NET 1.1, which I hoped would just be a case of changing the runtime used by the web app (as in running the 1.1 version of aspnet_regiis, with a "-s" switch pointing at my web apps folder). After doing this though (and fixing a few minor differences with web.config), if I then navigate to my handler I get the following error message:

Server Error in '/Path/To/MyWebApp' Application.
Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'MyNamespace.MyHandler'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ WebHandler Language="C#" Class="MyNamespace.MyHandler" CodeBehind="MyHandler.cs" %>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Path\To\MyWebApp\MyHandler.ashx    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Here are the (abridged) contents of the files involved:

MyHandler.ashx:

<%@ WebHandler Language="C#" Class="MyNamespace.MyHandler" CodeBehind="MyHandler.cs" %>

MyHandler.cs:

using System.Web;

namespace MyNamespace {
public class MyHandler : IHttpHandler {
	//rest of code goes here, ProcessRequest etc.

The only possible solutions to this error I can find is to make sure that the namespace is included. However I don't think this is the cause of my problem as my app builds and works ok under .NET 2.0.

Any help gratefully received,

Neil.

0
SpaceMonkeyEclipse
9/8/2006 1:02:23 PM
asp.net.handlers-modules 2116 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I'd recommend checking the generated dll with Reflector to verify that the namespace is what you expect.  Also, check the entry in the web.config that instantiates the handler to verify that it's referencing the correct assembly.
0
stiletto
9/8/2006 6:17:14 PM

I've resolved my problem by getting hold of a copy of VS2003, creating a new web project, and adding the .ashx and .cs files from my VS2005 project to it. Building the project resulted in no errors and it now runs perfectly. I think I would probably recommend to others in a similar situation to utilise the version of VS that natively supports the runtime they wish to use to build the project, if they can.

Thanks for your help,

SME

0
SpaceMonkeyEclipse

.Net 1.1 with .Net 2.0 virtual directory using AJAX "Sys undefined"
I'm having an issue running an AJAX app I built, I think I might know what the problem might be, but if so, I am not sure how to fix it. The main site is built with 1.1 and new application is 2.0.  I have the new application configured properly (as far as I can tell) in its own app pool, etc..  The app runs just fine (I have other 2.0 apps that run along side the main 1.1), but I am getting an error: "Sys undefined...."  I've checked to enusre the mappings for the .axd extension for this particular VD are pointing to the correct place as ...

error "Failed to get datetime data" using dw.net 1.0.1
Hello, My situation: I have a vs2005 project with dw.net version 1.0.1 (build 5502), database is asa10. When my regional settings are Dutch(Belgium) I have no problems at all. When the settings are Italian(Italy) I get a "Failed to get datetime" error when I retrieve when my data contains dates. When the date fields are not filled in then I do not get the error. A date of '2008-1-1 08:00:00' also gives errors. When I try to retrieve the same data in the datawindow painter I also get no error. Can anyone help me? Greetings, Mich=E8le DW.net 2.5 is now th...

"Error loading XML file :\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705"...does this mean v.1.1 code trying to run in a v.1.0 app?
I uploaded some new files into my existing third-party hosted site, including a .DLL into \BIN\, which is running AS.NET v.1.0. I got the following error message when browsing to one of the pages using the code in the namespace defined in the DLL: Error loading XML file c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config Request for the permission of type System.Security.Permissions.StrongNameIdentityPermission, mscorlib, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed. (c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config) ...

.NET 1.1 to 2.0 "remember me" checkbox no longer works
I have a site I recently updated to ASP.NET 2.0 from 1.1 and everything works fine (with minimal fiddling) except the remember me check box on the log in page.  I use custom forms authentication.  Web.config defines the timeout as 60 minutes: <forms name="NIDB1AuthCookie" protection="All" timeout="1" loginUrl="Login.aspx" cookieless="UseCookies" />And in the login.aspx.cs file I have it check the checkbox to see if its checked and then manually set the cookie to expire in 30 days.  if (cbRememberMe.Checked){ //Set cookie to expire in 30 days if user checks the remem...

Can anyone tell me the diff between .net framework versions "1.1.4322.573" and "1.1.4322.903"
Production environment is running 1.1.4322.573 Pre Production environments are running 1.1.4322.903 We are seeing some javascript errors that are only happening in our production environment. All of our pre production environments for testing, development and what not seem to be running fine. We get the generic client side error that says which line, which char number and the brief description. The actuall error states "Expected ';' " . Here is the line of code that it's complaining about. "theform = document._ctl6:Form1;" This is microsoft ge...

Parser Error
What do I make to solve that problem? Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Stream is not a valid resource file.Source Error: Line 1: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> Line 2: <locales> Line 3: <inactive>Source File: /dotnetnuke320/App_GlobalResources/Locales.Portal.xml.resources    Line: 1 Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Versio...

When using <identity impersonate="true"> in .NET 1.1, and 2.0 is there some differences?
When setting <identity impersonate="true"> in .NET 1.1, and 2.0, is there some differences that I should be aware of? Will identity impersonate act differently in .Net 1.1 vs .Net 2.0, both using IIS 6.0? Is there an article I can read that will explain this if its true? Thanks, xyz789          Try this: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998351.aspx specifically, the what's new in 2.0 section of that page: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998351.aspx#paght000023_whatsnew Rachel AppelMVP - ASPInside...

Any idea why .NET 2.0 service pack 1 give me "The server tag is not well formed. " error?
I just installed .NET 2.0 SP1, those forms worked before now give me "The server tag is not well formed. " error. any idea?   Can you post a specific line where this is happening?  I often get this when there is not a space between attributes on a control like  <asp:Textbox runat="server"id="Textbox1" />Community Coder Yes! you got it quickly. I found it is the xml transform. I create some code dynamically with xml transform, I used &#32; to make sure there is a space between attributes, it seems &#32; doesn't work unde...

Cannot use persona add-on in 3.6 Beta i. I get this error message:"Personas 1.3.1 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.6b1".
Name: Jonathan Sprague Email: sprag80atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Cannot use persona add-on in 3.6 Beta i. I get this error message:"Personas 1.3.1 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.6b1". Comments: I have Windows 7. Personas 1.3.1.does not add-on to my system. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2b1) Gecko/20091029 Firefox/3.6b1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback bu...

Getting "openUserWin is not defined" JS error with 1.5.0.3, but not 1.0.6
I use a terrible web-based bugtracking product called 'Extraview' for tracking software development defects (bugs). It has an 'Edit Defect' form where I can update a bug's comments / notes / build / assigned-to / etc. This form works fine in Firefox 1.0.6 and IE6, but since I've upgraded recently to Firefox 1.5.0.3, it does not work at all. There are buttons along the top, such as 'update', 'clone', 'interest list', 'history', and 'close', which invoke a JavaScript function "openUserWin" to carry ...

Web resources about - Retrograding httpHandler from .NET 2.0 to 1.1, get "Parser Error Message: Could not create type" message - asp.net.handlers-modules