http handlers and web form post backs

Wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for my problem?

I have a http handler that captures .html requests and transfers them all to a default.aspx which then dynamically loads in all the web and user controls required for that web form.
My problem is if I request, for example, contact.html it will load my contact form correctly but when I submit my contact form the action points to default.aspx. So when I submit it the user sees default.aspx in the address bar instead of the intended contact.html.
I either need to change my http handler, modify the action of my server side form or just make the URI in the address bar seem as if it is still the same page without losing any of the functionality of my controls.
Thanks.
0
Jimmy
3/23/2005 8:49:52 AM
asp.net.handlers-modules 2116 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I remember seeing a thread that said you have to rewrite the URL twice.  Once to get the correct page loaded and then once back to get the form's action correct.

view post 859106
0
stiletto
3/24/2005 11:08:52 AM
Create your own form class by  inheriting  System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm and remove action attribute.

This links has sample code. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/urlrewriting.asp

Jigar Desai
-----------------------
Do not forget to "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
0
Jigar
3/28/2005 1:09:15 PM
 stiletto wrote:
I remember seeing a thread that said you have to rewrite the URL twice. Once to get the correct page loaded and then once back to get the form's action correct. 859106

I found that thread after searching these forums here http://forums.asp.net/858605/ShowPost.aspx. Could not for the life of me get it to work. Kept telling me I was trying an illegal post request, and because I was playing about with the context so much it was getting the urls really muddled.

Thanks for both your help anyways. I'm gonna try removing and replacing the action attribute now.

Cheers
0
Jimmy

Http handlers and Http modules
Hi,  What are some of the best and common scenarios where Http handlers and Http modules can be usefully used? Sandyhttp://www.thequinn.infohttp://www.sksdataservices.comhttp://www.infobasket.info Hi, ASP.NET uses the handlers for processing aspx, asmx and other files. How can you use it? Well let us say if you want to create a file with a new extension, you will need to write a handler for it. Moreover they are the earliest point where you can access requests. Moreover they being portable makes them all the more powerful. ASP.NET uses modules for services like session manage...

Web Handler or HTTP handler to serve audio files to media player?? please help.
Hello I am using a web handler for audio files "WavHandler.ashx?Path=\\bla bla bla\bla\file.wav". However Media Player (I tried version 10 and 11) freezes if the file is played a few times consequentially. No error message appears client side, the explorer window would need to be killed, the same happens if using the stand alone version of the player. No error message is thrown server side by the handler either. The normal amount of bytes is sent over each time Do you know why this could be? do u think that I should try to use an asyncronous HTTP Handler instead? I have no ...

CAllback Http handler http module
 Hi all,Can anybody tell me how to generate callback.This call back should NOT be in on aspx page  .I this its solution is Http module or Http handler but i dont have idea to implement .Give me some reference and sample code or examples for implementing call back using http handlers or httpmodule thanksNothing is impossible as the IMPOSSIBLE word itself says I M Possible...just you have to try..u get all what you desirePradeep BishtBLOG ::--> http://dotnetarmy.blogspot.com/URL ::--> http://www.asp.net Could you please describe in more detail what you want? A callback ...

HTTP Handlers and Modules confusion
 I'm not really a novice as I understand some advanced concepts and I have experience in delivering fairly complex web apps with ASP.NET, but in my previous experience, I haven't worked with HTTP Handlers and Modules much. I know that each page requested will have to pass the HTTP Modules, or rather, the HTTP modules intercept each page request, so my understanding is, this would be the ideal way to go about having a module which can record page hits. However, what is the purpose of an application-wide event in global.asax? Surely, this could achieve the same purpose?&...

Describe Http(Handler/Module)
Hello everyone...can anyone tell that  What is HttpHandler and Httpmodule....how these are used in web.configand as in httphandler the somewhat like    <add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"        validate="false" /> is used in that what the all of attributes means and what the type describes..     You could che...

Http Modules, Handlers, or ISAPI?
I'm working on developing a new BLOG system for my employer, the University of Delaware. I want to provide bloggers with a URL thats easy to remember. I want to have each user have a url such as "http://....udel.edu/blogs/smithr" instead of http://....udel.edu/blogs/viewblog.aspx?userid=5". I hope you can understand why. When they access "/blogs/smithr", I want to intercept it and at that point I can easily parse out smithr and server.forward of response.redirect the client to the proper location.The problem is that I can create a module or handler (either o...

Difference in HTTP Module and Handler
Hi, I understand the basics of a HTTP Module and a HTTP Handler, but can someone tell me when I should use a HTTP Handler rather than a HTTP Module, with examples? Thanks! HttpModules represent code that is in play for all page requests while an HttpHandler is more like a single page.  For example, if you wanted to implement compression for all your pages, you could use an HttpModule - that module could be used to compress ALL pages. Of it you wanted to serve up a dynamic image from a database, you could use an HttpHandler - that handler could serve up an image for a si...

Web form debugging
Hi, This is SOS call, since I have no idea what happend, but my web page is not working any more though I didn't change a thing. I have a web page, containing datagrid, dataset, and listbox. The user chooses an item from the listbox, push the button, and get the relevant records in the datagrid.  I added another feature: "quick search" containing textbox and another button, and when the user type something in the textbox and push the button, the datagrid being populated from the new search algorithm instead of the listbox. Every thing was working perfect, till I changed something, a...

Passing form values on in HTTP Handler
Hi I'm working on a project where a number of legacy web applications will be rewritten and run within a SharePoint portal.  However there's not enough time to rewrite all of them so we're looking to expose certain web apps to look like they are running from the SharePoint portal using a http handler to act as a proxy. I have got the majority of this working.  The user visits a page on the portal which has an IFRAME pointing to my proxy web application.  Any requests for pages here are picked up by my http handler and in the code I create a web request to retriev...

Prevent browser refreshes from posting back an already-posted-back form?
HiI have a formview in insert mode for inserting items into a gridview.  Each item is some description text, a price, and a quantity.  I'm using SqlDataSource controls while I learn about the New Way of Doing Things.If I insert an item, and then refresh the now-posted-back page in my browser, the same item gets inserted again.  I would like to prevent this, ideally without response.redirecting on FormView.ItemInserted every time a new item is inserted.  I don't think it'd be a question of clearing the inputs and validating for data, would it?  I mean, an F5 will repo...

The image handler (handler.ashx) in the personal web site starter kit
Hi! I have a problem similar to the problem in the handler.ashx in the web site starter kit that follows VS2005... And the problem is that when you right click a picture and selects save picture as the filename is handler.ashx.. Is there any way to change this so that the filename would be something else? --Rune Not that I am aware of, this is because the img src is the url to the handler.ashx.  What you could do is create a downloadPhoto.ashx that will write the photo to the browser so you can make up any file name you like.  You would simply pass the photo id to this handler...

I am new here, but have been searching for a while, and may not have the correct lingo to find what I am looking for.  I am tasked with implementing a .exe application that was writen vb6 then converted to .net into a new website my team is developing. The idea is to put each of the 3 different forms in this .exe application of 3 different .aspx pages. I have attempted multiple things to get this into the page and even started to just rewrite it as an ASP.net web form, but even then I can't reuse any of the code since the System.Web.UI.Page doesn't inherit the same functions and object of the System.Windows.Forms.Form, I have even tried having the page Inherit System.Windows.Forms.Form, and the page shows but none of the data actually populates, it just looks like a blank form...   So the question is, how do I find out more information about implementing either the full application or at least the functionality? I am not looking for someone to do the work for me, I just need to find a good starting point since I want to learn if this is possible and how to do it. Again I may not be up on all the lingo, so even giving search terms would be helpful.   Thanks, PadawangeekPadawangeekAlways learning... What you are after cannot be done.Winforms and web forms are 2 distinct technologies and their controls cannot exist together. Most of the winforms controls have an equivalent web form control, and there are some very rich we...

Form problem in http handler with dynamic control
Hi, I've already posted about this problem but I think I didn't explain it very well. Let me try and clarify it. I have written a cms that lets users create pages. These pages are stored in a database along with a path they want to give it. eg products/overview.aspa. The .aspa extension is enforced in the cms because all requests to .aspa files are handled by my PageHandler class. This looks up the path in the db and loads the appropriate user controls to display the page. This works well, but my problem is that I want to have a server-side form tag so I can do postbacks from some o...

event handler and Web Forms
So I need to put some tracking code on my form using onSubmit or onClick but both of those event handlers are automatically inserted into the form when it is rendered so it replaces my event handler. How can I get around this to use onSubmit as well? Thanks so much.  There's a property called OnClientClick, that will allow you to call custom javascript when the button is clicked.  - Colin Tophers80:So I need to put some tracking code on my form using onSubmit or onClick but both of those event handlers are automatically inserted into the form when it is rendered so...

HTTP handlers WEB.CONFIG syntax, please !
Hello. I have this code in a project named ProductsHandler: First, a class called ProductsHandler.vb (this particular code is not important in this question, because the class is correct - it implements both IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest and IHttpHandler.IsReusable). Anyway, here it is: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Imports System.Data.SqlClient Imports System.Web Imports System.Data Public Class ProductsHandler Implements IHttpHandler Public Sub ProcessRequest(ByVal objContext As HttpContext) Implements IHtt...

2 http posts, one web form?
 Hi, A general question about http posts.  Can we have one form post to two different places? I have a page I'd like to post to an asp script that we have online.  Since .net pages can't have more than one set of form tags on them, this page creates an html page "on the fly" and posts IT to our central form-handling asp page, which determines the site it's from, and responds accordingly. In this new case, I want to render an html page and post it, but I would like to post some of the data to a second different url. So, the question is, can we make this "on the fly" html page with 2 forms on it (named form 1 and form 2) and send form 1's info to one place, and form 2's info to the other? Thanks Dave You can use HttpWebRequest to send http requests to other server.   HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create("http://localhost/Default.aspx"); request .Method = "POST"; request .ContentType="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"; request .ContentLength = .....    Here is a tutorial about using HttpWebRequest, it might be useful for you.  my personal blog: http://www.protienshow.comPlease mark the replies with right answer as the answer :) Thank you for the advice.  I'm trying it now, and will update the list shortly. As it happens, we use httpWebRequest in some applications as well.  Basically in this case, we're trying ...

Wrong event handler is called on post-back
Here is my situation:I have a DropDownList that has static ListItems in it. When the selection in that DropDownList changes, I present a second DropDownList, which has its items bound at run-time. BOTH DropDownList controls have AutoPostBack set to true.When the second, dynamic DropDownList control has its selected item change, it should be calling its own OnSelectedIndexChanged event handler, but instead the OnSelectedIndexChanged event handler for the first DropDownList is called.Any idea what is going on? Here is the aspx: <asp:DropDownList ID="advisorSearchTopicSelect" ...

Web Form Scroll Position After Post Back
Hello, Can someone tell me how to save the webform position so that after a post back the user does not have to scroll down to the position they were at when they pressed the submit button?  The target is IE6.   Much Appreciated, Paul. The Page element in VS2005 has a MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback property for this.  Otherwise you will have to write some Javascript to get the current scroll position, save it (say) to a hidden field on the page with a runat=server attribute, then on Javascript onload, scroll to the new position.  Do a Google on "Javascript" and "S...

Simulating a POST form in a button click handler
I think I must be having a dumb day. Having searched through all of my ASP.NET books, I cannot seem to find an easy way of programmatically simulating the following form. <!-- This form is all that is required to submit the payment information to the system --> <FORM action="<%response.write(Site)%>" method=post id=form1 name=Test> <input type="hidden" name=Protocol value="2.21"> <input type="hidden" name=TxType value="PAYMENT"> <input type="hidden" name=Vendor value=<%respons...

HTTP Handler/Module to Inject PreProcessing Code?
Hello All, I have a situation where I am creating an ASP.NET web site, but I have a section of the site that contains HTML files with classic ASP includes for headers and footers. I can't change this since this content is coming from a legacy content management system. I'm hoping to use an HTTP Handler/Module to intercept the code before it gets processed so that I can strip out the includes to the old header & footer and replace it with: <%@ Page language="c#" Inherits="BasePage" %> I set all ASPX pages for the rest of the site to derive from a master template. What I attempted to do is create a custom module and hook it into the BeginRequest event. I tried to wirte the above line of code using a context.Response.Write(). It didn't work, I could see the code in my page when I viewed source, but it wasn't executed. At this point, I think that the "Object Load" state of the ASP.NET Page Life Cycle has already occurred so the page was already "compiled". Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I was thinking about using a filter in my module, but at this point I think the data has already been processed. Also, could I add my master template logic into the module to load a control? What would the code look like for that? I attempted that, but I kept getting compilation errors, probably due to my lack of understanding in implementing user controls in a .cs file. Thanks, AC Do you h...

AJAX modalpopup to post data back to web form
I have a form with a button on it.  When the button is clicked, an ajax modalpopup is displayed  and the user can then input some data into a text field and click another button that will query a database and return with a gridview of information pulled from the database.  In the code behind I have the gridview_selectedIndexChanging set up to catch the index of the selected row and then pull the data from the cells into hidden text fields all within the popup.  The OK button is tied to some code behind that should transfer the values in the hidden text fields to...

Fire GriidView Event Handler Without Posting Back?
I have a simple page that contains an employee lookup form (first and last names) within one panel and then, within a second panel, I display the search results (which include an employee ID) within a GridView control.  What I would like to do is allow the user to click on a row in the GridView and fire an event handler that would write the employee ID to a hidden field within the page.  Is there a way to declare and fire an event handler that doesn't do a PostBack?  My colleagues are telling me it's not possible, that the PostBack will always occur, and that the only ...

Apache Server incompatible with Dot Net Http handler?
I am suffering a little 'click rage' when it comes to trying to get an Http handler to function when running DotNet via the Apache server.   I am using the mod_aspdotnet Apache HTTP Server module to provide .NET functionality within Apache v2 (.net framework 1.1).  The module works fine except, for when I try to create an Http Handler which is registered within Web.Config like so:    <system.web>      <httpHandlers>          <add verb="*" path="find.htm" type="CustomHttpRequestHandlers.FindRe...

Web resources about - http handlers and web form post backs - asp.net.handlers-modules

Air handler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Air handlers usually connect to a ductwork ventilation system that distributes the conditioned air through the building and returns it to the ...

Chelsea Handler (@chelseahandler) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Chelsea Handler: Gotta Go! on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Chelsea Handler: Gotta Go!. Download Chelsea Handler: Gotta Go! ...

Chelsea Handler - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Chelsea dancing to KT Tunstall. And showing us that she's really taped in. (UPDATE 8/7/07 - 7,983 views and finally someone marks it as a favorite!) ...

Interview with Kip Hedges, fired Delta baggage handler - YouTube
http://www.workdayminnesota.org BLOOMINGTON - Kip Hedges, the Delta Airlines baggage handler fired for speaking up for low-wage airport workers, ...

Efremi, the crack-addicted ‘handler’ of stolen goods who treated Spence like a ‘son’
A profile of Spence's co-accused, Thomas Efremi, who would regularly host his younger friend for drugs binges.

Australian Federal Police facing discrimination claim from female dog handler
A dog handler has launched legal action against the Australian Federal Police over allegations she was refused a new job because she is female ...

Air Canada baggage handlers toss luggage from platform in video
Baggage handlers likely to be fired after throwing luggage from seven-metre platform.

Aussie singer Jon English flies into Virgin baggage handlers after instruments are smashed - DailyTelegraph ...
... guitars as part of the show, but for Aussie singer Jon English, a smashing encounter between his guitar and Sydney Airport’s baggage handlers ...

Chelsea Handler’s naked gift for Reese Witherspoon
NOTHING says ‘Happy Birthday!’ like a naked selfie ... if you’re Chelsea Handler, that is.