When someone selects an item in a dropdown, I want it to write the select item to a textbox

When someone selects an item in a dropdown, I want it to write the select item to a textbox

I know how to do this:

    Protected Sub DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles DropDownList1.SelectedIndexChanged
        Me.TXT_Client.Text = DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Text
    End Sub

BUT...

When I try to select an item, it takes a refresh before it actually shows up. Is there anyway to make it so it happens immidiately?

I know this has something to do with postbacks, but I'm a noob =/

thanks!
0
sabrick

try this:

page_load

{

if(!page.ispostback)

{

functiontoload_dropdownlist();

}

}

0
topcatin
5/19/2008 7:07:38 PM

I'm not really sure what you wrote is applicable, I'm coding in VB btw

I just get errors when I try to put it in

0
sabrick
5/19/2008 7:24:01 PM

When you use AutoPostBack = true and SelectedIndexChanged event, your page has to refresh. In order to avoid the REFRESH, you apply either javascript or AJAX.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
0
che3358
5/19/2008 7:28:28 PM

You can indeed use ajax for this, but I think it's more complicated then necessary...

When you use ajax you have to put the textbox in an updatepanel and put a scriptmangager on the page... I don't know it by heart, but just look up updatepanel and scriptmanager or ajaxcontrols on the net...

0
bob3s
5/19/2008 7:32:41 PM

sabrick :

When someone selects an item in a dropdown, I want it to write the select item to a textbox I know how to do this: Protected Sub DropDownList1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles DropDownList1.SelectedIndexChanged Me.TXT_Client.Text = DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Text End Sub BUT... When I try to select an item, it takes a refresh before it actually shows up. Is there anyway to make it so it happens immidiately? I know this has something to do with postbacks, but I'm a noob =/ thanks!

Thats an expected behavior to happen.. Basically the page will postback to the server once you trigger a server control event in the page.. Postback will happen to process the request and when it post back it will refresh the page.. To avoid that annoying post backs then you need to use the ASPNET AJAX update panel and script manager control as suggested above.. see below for demo

http://www.asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/overview/UpdatePanelOverview.aspx
http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-177.aspx

Regards,Vinz

vinz

Not getting the selected item.text from dropdown when it is in gridviews template item
I had placed a dropdown list in a template field of the gridview. and i had assigned it as drp using find control. But when i call it using drp.seleced item.text the text which is selected at the load event is got. why it is like this? what can i do? Hi, Bind the dropDownList in the RowDataBound event of GridView.Regards,JK Hi Johncy , I strongly suspect you have rebound the GridView control when page postback happens each time. So if you are doing so , change it to :   protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if (!IsPostBack) { ...

Why is the select saying selected after an item is selected?
This was a whitelisting issue due to a software upgrade at hostgator..  Nothing wrong with my code..Scot King SEO Software Tool | Search Engine Optimization"Get your page rank high"  huh? It is smart to put your question in the body and not just in the title. Have no idea what your question is or if it even a question.Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn use thisddl.options[ddl.selectedIndex].selected = false; //Clear the selection ddl.options[1].selected = trueMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Sit...

get selected item from a html select tag
i created a page with a table and a select option in it <body><table><select....> ...and so oni used them as a html tags and now i want to get the selected item (from the select) in the code behind using vb.nethow can i do that?thanks You have to set your select control to runat server <Select runat="server" id="select1"> Then you can access it from your code. RegardsASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest) If you want to keep them as regular HTML elements and not make them runat=server you can get to your selected value through the Form collection in the HttpRequest. For...

About dropdown list selected item and selected value
hi to all i have one table. that have albhapetic list of countries name and country id. i want to bind country table to dropdownlist. dropdownlist text field is country name the value field country id.the dropdown list heading is "-- select country--". but page load time i want load default country is INDIA and value is ind. guide me how achieve this scnario. You can write following line in Page load event.ddCountryDropDownList.SelectedValue = "ind";Hope this helps! Programmers are tools for converting caffeine into codeVisit my blog Try this way insteadDropDown...

Dynamic DropDownList Default Selected Item Does Not Select Default Item
I have some dynamic listbox code that creates a listbox based on information stored in a database. The database access works fine. The only issue is that when I use the lbNew.Items.FindByValue(...).Selected = True line, no default select is made. The listbox just defaults to the first item in the list.lbNew = New DropDownList ' Scans for the list source. ' If "values_table" returns the first character = '@', ' then a table is the datasource. strDataSourceTable = Nothing strDataSourceTable = objDataReader.Item("values_table") ' If there is a data list, display the item, else ig...

How to display the more than one row with items and buttons in gridview control. when i select three items at same time from categories(Fruits, Apples, Gifts). The selected items are displayed in g
Hi,when i select three items at same time from categories(Fruits, Apples, Gifts). The selected items are displayed in gridview.Here i would like to change this way "when i click more than one category at same time. it should be display selected item and button."For example: if i have to select Fruits, Apples from categories.  it should be display like 1st "row have Fruits and In 2nd row have Apples and button" in gridview.the button have some event.How can i do it? Please can anyone answer me.With kind requestThanks your query is very raw..can u details it out...Pl...

After selecting DropDownList Item, how to set DropDownList Item so that it corresponds to new selection.
Hi,  I'm having difficulty retaining DropDownList selected item so that it corresponds to the new page that is called when the item is selected. i.e DropDownList contains 4 Items Item1 Item2 Item3 Item4 Each item when selected is bound to a corresponding page. Item1.aspx Item2.aspx Item3.aspx Item4.aspx If the default page is Item1.aspx...if I select Item3 in the DropDownList, the page Navigates to the corresponding page - Item3.aspx.  I want the DropDownList to remain displaying Item3 and not the default Item.  Thank you. for master pag...

Set static item selected style, when one of the dynamic items is selected
Hello, I have a menu with some parent items in the static menu. Now I would like this parentItems to be gray, when I am on one of the childpages ( on of the items in the dynamicMenu ). for example:here (screenshot below ) I am on the "doelstelling"-page, which is a subitem of "Bedrijfsinfo". Now, I would like the be able to set a certain style to "Bedrijfsinfo" when a user is on the doelstelling page, or one of the other subpages.  Is this possible?  Hi,Yes this is possible, however, you have to use the CSS Friendly menu. You can find ...

How to have the datalist item to be selected by clicking an item of the datalist item?
I would like to to have a datalist item to be selected by clicking an item of  the data list item. I have tried the following code but no go. pls help me. Its urgent.if (e.Item.ItemIndex == -1) return;e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "this.oldClass = this.className; this.className = 'mouseOverStyleGridview1'"); e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout", "this.className = this.oldClass;");e.Item.Attributes.Add("onclick", Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(DataList1, "Select$" + e.Item.ItemIndex.ToString()))...

How to show higher level menu item selected when one of its submenu items selected?
I have a menu with a mix of static and dynamic items. I have the static item-only backcolor change when it is selected but I would also like the other static items backcolor to change when one of its submenus is selected. How to do this? Hi, Do you want to highlight the parent menuitems when the submenu is selected? You can try to refer this codeproject article: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webforms/AspMenuParentHighlighting.aspx Hope it helps.Amanda WangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help...

How to get selected item(s) from a select form with Intraweb? [Edit]
Hi Everyone! I am going to convert our Delphi Client/Server Applications to Intraweb applications. I never use Intraweb before this month. Can anyone tell me how to do the folling with Intraweb? Any Sample do that? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Open a form(contain a Grid), and select one or more items, then bring the selected item(s) back to calling form. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks to all. from: Slong Tseng. Edited by: Big Two on Jun 8, 2014 6:10 PM ...

Showing No Selected Item in Dropdown List Without Any Dummy Item
Hello Experts, i have one dropdown list in my page, whose data is coming from the database. but i want to display my dropdown list without any items selected. but the condition is only that i don't want to place any dummy item in the dropdown list. is possible..? i have tried this by setting it's selected index property to -1. but i am not getting what i am expecting. please forward me the solution if it is possible. waiting for your reply, Hardik Mehta, I-Link Infosoft Pvt. Ltd. How about adding am item with blank text. e.g. yourlist.Items.Insert(0,...

Get all values from database if no dropdown item is selected ?
HiIn my web application, i use some dropdown lists and a submit button to filter a gridview on another pagestr = "res.aspx?ddl1=" + ddl1.SelectedItem.ToString + "&ddl2=" + ddl2.SelectedItem.ToStringResponse.Redirect(str)I'd like to get all values from the database if no item is selected from the dropdown lists .What should the SQL look like for the select in the sqldatasource ?Thanks.  What you can do is send 0 to the parameter in stored procedure if dropdown value is not selected. and in the stored procedure just put a if condition to get the appropriate d...

How to set Tool tip to dropdown list in each item select or mouse over in each item
Hi all, i need to set tool tip to drop down list which i selecting indexes in index changing event or mouse over event in drop down list elements.how i do it .please help me any one can. Thanks. You want to set tooltip as selected item in the dropdownlist? hi friend, i need to set tool tip when i selecting items withing drop down list at that time mouse over the each items of drop down list the tool tip must display specific information according to items. Thanks You can do it on the selected item in the ListBox. Not sure if the options will react to the mouse events by themsel...

Web resources about - When someone selects an item in a dropdown, I want it to write the select item to a textbox - asp.net.getting-started

How to convert unordered list into nicely styled <select> dropdown using jquery?
$('ul.selectdropdown').each(function(){ var select=$(document.createElement('select').insertBefore($(this).hide(); $('>li a', this).each(function(){ ...

Credit Suisse Reiterates On Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. Following Alberta Dropdown
In a report published Thursday, Credit Suisse analyst John Edwards reiterated an Outperform rating on Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. (NYSE: EEP), ...

Convert a Menu to a Dropdown for Small Screens
Create a menu that, on smaller screens, changes into a dropdown menu. A dropdown takes up much less screen real estate and can be easier to use. ...

Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample/Dropdown-demos.html at master · OfficeDev/Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample ...
Contribute to Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample development by creating an account on GitHub.

Google Adds Dropdown Menu to Search Results, Hides Cached Pages Inside
Google recently updated their search results format, again moving the link for cached page access somewhere else. Now it hides in a convenient ...

50+ Awesome jQuery Dropdown Menu Tutorials
When designing graphical user interfaces, many people prefer to use a dropdown menu as a GUI element. This allows the user to choose a value ...

Sign out command in dropdown
We can save some space in the menus by putting the Sign-out command in the dropdown menu. As we're building the menu, if I see a command called ...

Google toys with removing Instant Preview in Search, adds dropdown menu with Cached, Similar, Share options ...
Google has added a new drop-down menu to its search results page beside every URL with three options: Cached, Similar, and Share. At the same ...

Facebook Fan Page Changes You Haven’t Heard About
... fashion appears at the top center of the page if you scroll down to the cover image or any point lower. A box labeled highlights has a dropdown ...

Edit Companies - Eric Feng - CrunchBase Person Profile
If this person is an investor, please only submit companies for which he/she has a functional role (like Board, Advisor, etc). Click 'Past?' ...