What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?

 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?

www.buggrep.com
Best error repository site on the web!!
0
jjeanj1

If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express
are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.

There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.

I think that the older sql express editions didnt support full text searching but i belive that is in now

I think that the older visual web developers didnt support projects in projects but i think that
has also been added into it now for mvc support so that you can have test projects

Here is the official spec tables from microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/cc149003.aspx

 I have been developing for close on two years in asp.net and never experience a brick wall

that i couldnt solve because i didnt have the full visual studio.

0
rtpHarry
9/3/2008 9:01:07 PM

Visual Studio.NET often refers to Visual Studio 2002 (and sometimes Visual Studio 2003, since they are almost the same).

Visual Studio 2008 is obviously a much newer version (2 releases newer), and Visual Studio 2008 Express (the real name in your case being Visual Web Developer 2008) is a free version (with less features, as it only has the stuff important to web development).

As was already mentionned, most of the important features are there as of the 2008 SP1 version of Visual Web Developer, though the professional edition has stuff that becomes important when you start doing large, complex projects. If you're new, its very unlikely that you'll even notice that these features are missing :)

The critical ones are basically non-web related stuff, and support for Plug-ins and extensions.

0
shados
9/3/2008 9:01:22 PM

shados:

Visual Studio.NET often refers to Visual Studio 2002 (and sometimes Visual Studio 2003, since they are almost the same).

Visual Studio 2008 is obviously a much newer version (2 releases newer), and Visual Studio 2008 Express (the real name in your case being Visual Web Developer 2008) is a free version (with less features).

Yeah, the names you gave in the post subject arent correct. The latest versions are Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Web Developer 2008

0
rtpHarry

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

major difference between Visual Studio and Visual Studio Express
Hi All, I am sure Visual Web Developer Express 2008 has limitation over Visual Studio 2008, but if they are not serious limitation, I would like to go for Visual Web Developer Express 2008. Could any one please suggest me the major differences between Visual Studio and Visual Studio Express. ThanksLakshya Take a look at the Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison guide over here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en or http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/cc149003.aspx    ASP.N...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

Web resources about - What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express? - asp.net.getting-started

World powers adopt UN Syria resolution to end civil war, but differences on Assad's future as leader ...
The UN Security Council unanimously adopts a resolution endorsing a peace process to end the Syrian war.

Debate showed differences between parties
Much of the commentary and analysis from Saturday night’s Democratic debate in New Hampshire will undoubtedly focus on the questions of national ...

Reruns on cable are not the same as the originals — check out these differences
Cable channels speed up and modify the reruns they air. The increased speed can result in two more minutes of advertising per show. Produced ...

Listing Consumption Differences
... wines at affordable prices. These wines almost never rise to the quality of Chateau Petrus, d’yquem, or the best Montrachets, but the differences ...

In a drab 2015 for investors, four stocks made all the difference
On the surface, almost nothing happened in U.S. stock and bond markets last year. But when you look beneath the surface, you see that 2015 should ...

The Hateful Eight Ending Differences from Script Revealed - Collider
Brian Formo attended a live read of 'The Hateful Eight' in 2014 and he reveals all the ending changes from Quentin Tarantino's script to the ...

Brinson: Bye weeks ‘makes a huge difference’ for Manning
... form Search 24° Main menu Home Celtics Patriots Red Sox Bruins Revolution More WRITERS Watch Shop NECN Brinson: Bye weeks ‘makes a huge difference’ ...