web service error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

I am doing the web service walk-through from here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/87h5xz7x(en-us,vs.80).aspx

I get the error 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized'.  My app is using windows authentication, I made sure the web service folder has permissions for everyone to execute and that didn't work.  IIS has annonymous access checked.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Help?

-1
dbvanatta

Another thing... I'm using the integrated web server that comes with Visual Studio... does using it change things?
0
dbvanatta
5/10/2005 3:13:28 PM

Hello.

I've faced that error when I tried to use async pages (at the time I thought that building a simple web service was the easiest way to test them). if i'm not mistaken, I started facing that kind of problems when I moved to beta 2 (pre-beta 2 releases worked without any problems). at that time i tried using IIS and the 1st attempts worked ok. However, at home I always got that error. never solved at home...really strange thing (in my case the exampl was really simple: the web service only had a single method which returned "hello word"). If anyone knows what wrong please let us know.

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu

The port number changes for each instance of the localhost webserver but seems to be hardcoded into the web service discovery files in the app_webreference folder.

I didn't change the proxy settings.
0
southbayray
7/6/2005 4:06:48 PM

I mentioned in my previous post that I got the same 401 error.

I found that UNCHECKING the NTLM authentication checkbox in the website, start options dialog box removes the 401 error. I'm using Visual Studio Express, Beta 2.

When I go back and re-check the NTLM authentication checkbox, I get the same error or some other strange behavior such as the default.aspx page loads...( I suppose as part of the NTLM authentication process). I created a new page Call_HelloWorld_WebService.aspx that just calls the Hello_World web service as in the walkthrough. I start the Call_HelloWorld_WebService.aspx page using <ctrl><f5> and use the default web server that ships with VSE Beta 2.

SBR

0
southbayray

Web app calling Web service error The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized
I have a web site calling a web service which are both located on the same server.  Integrated windows authentication is being used on both the app and service.    When I start the web app from VS's IDE (code on server), it runs fine displaying "Hello world" and populating the dropdownlist. However, if I browse to the URL in IE, I get the following errorSystem.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: UnauthorizedI output the credentials used in the web app, and they are correct.Why would it run fine through the IDE but not browsing to the u...

web service The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Im getting this error with a web serice ive created.  Im running on my local machine and using windows authentication.  Ive added some code to provide credentials but it still wont work.QAS.AddressVerificationService avs = new QAS.AddressVerificationService();avs.PreAuthenticate = true;avs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;can anyone shed some light on this ?tiaMark You need to set access rights for the webservice called. see here:http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47233http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.p...

Reporting Services Error
Hello, I'm hoping that someone can help me out here. I'm using reporting services for the first time. I have it set up and it is working fine when I test the asp pages on my computer but when I put them up to our web server they I get the error - The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. I using the ReportViewer to display the reports. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? This is what i have done in my .aspx.vb file  ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Remote ReportViewer1.ShowCredentialPrompts = True ReportViewer1...

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized
Hello All, I am getting the mentioned error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized, when i tried to call ReportingService2005 reference in my IIS web project. Below is my code: string strReport; string strRptUrl; string strFormat; string strFormatCode; ReportingService2005 rs = new ReportingService2005(); // Pass Windows Authentication credentials to Web Service rs.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials; // Call ListChildren method to get array of reports CatalogItem[] itmReports = rs.ListChildren(strFolder, false); foreach (CatalogItem itm in itmReports)...

Acess to a web service throws: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
I have a stable web service that I have accessed a bunch no problem.  I use a NetworkCredetial object with proper credentials to access the web service.  There is no problem with the credentials.  I have no idea why this response (The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.) is coming back. On the test server where the web servcie is set up without SSL the connections work just fine. On the production server, the web service has an attached SSL certificate.  I can consume the web service reference from the production server on my local machine and run it...

system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Error in Calling Web Service Function
Hello Friends, I am using a web service to get availability information. i have only following url http://webservices.micros.com/ows/5.1/Availability.wsdl I added Web References to the VS 2008 project , then i tried C# proxy class created from wsdl tool But when i am calling any function from code it gives following error system.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed. Please check the following page http://go-dev.com/clients/newyorkerhotelTest/reservations.aspx And click the Check Availability Button. Please tell me what...

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Hello, I hope you can help me. All Ive been trying to do for the last month is set up a test Web Service but Ive seemed to have run into problems every step of the way; from hardware set ups to authentication setting etc. Okay, I have a Web Service (TestWebService in IIS) that makes a connection to SQL Database. I also have an ASP.Net consumer page (TestWebServiceConsumer in IIS) that displays the content of the database in a GridView on a Button event. Both work fine by themselves, both are set to use ASP.net 2, Annoymonous: IUSR & Intergreated Windows Authentication. Both ar...

Error in QueryResources:ShowBusinessMailstores: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Hey all,  i'm having som problems when i'm would like to change some options in the ResourceManagerWebClient. The failure i'm getting is like this: Error in QueryResources:ShowBusinessMailstores: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. I can't describe the problem, so i have uploadet a screen dumb of the faliure. I can't rember the standart permission settings, is there anybody that can provide me with these informations. Kind regards ...

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized
I am trying access a webservice through my web application but i am getting this error, can you please help me to get rid of this error?  Exception::System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)   at FORIS.TelCRM.RequestManagement.CustomerCare.UI.Requ...

Exception::System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized [:'(]
I am trying access a webservice through my web application but i am getting this error, can you please help me to get rid of this error?  Exception::System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)   at FORIS.TelCRM.RequestManagement.CustomerCare.UI.Requ...

"The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request." when attempting to use a web service
Hi, I'm having a tough time deploying this web service I wrote.  Before I moved it over to the development server I tested the web service locally on my computer using a web portal to talk to the service...  However, now that I've copied it up to the Web Server, it keeps giving me these 400 errors and I can't figure out why.  Any ideas?    Kyle Which web server are you using, 6.0, 7.0....Do you have ASP.NET installed and correctly mapped. Do you have the security set up to allow Web Services. Have you checked your IIS log for any status sub codes.Chr...

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Hi, I now is using asp.net (vbscript) and SQL 2005 Reporting Services. I have create a report from SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio,  on the sql report application is work, but after I plug-into reportviewer show me below message. use Remote mode The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. for Local mode A data source instance has not been supplied for the data source 'databasename'. thk The solution is here http://www.taznetworks.com/rss/2006/03/crm-30-sbe-sql-reporting-error.html and / or here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
I am trying to call a web service but get the following error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.The weird thing is I can call the web service fine using a nunuit test. When I call the same web service using the same code in the web application it fails. I am using the following code below. MyObject.WebService webService = new MyObject.WebService (); webService.Url = System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["WebServiceUrl"]; webService.PreAuthenticate = true; webService.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials; return webService.Retr...

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
Hello, I got this error on a webform I just created with a reportviwer object The strange thing is theat the user has permissions on the report. Server Error in '/PruebasVs2005' Application. The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.Source Error: An unhandled excepti...

Web resources about - web service error: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. - asp.net.getting-started

A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , Atlanta 2007 – Philadelphia , Atlanta, Washington, D.C. 2008 – Syracuse , Fort Worth , Cincinnati , Chicago , Phoenix A Very Merry Unauthorized ...

ALERT: 600K Unauthorized Facebook Log-Ins Daily
Happy Halloween: A Facebook account gets compromised once every 140 milliseconds.

Detecting unauthorized cross-app resource access on OS X
Last week, Luyi Xing, a Ph.D. student from Indiana University Bloomington and his colleagues released a research paper on several vulnerabilities ...

New Security Tools Prevent and Alert Users to Unauthorized Logins
New Facebook security systems focused on preventing unauthorized logins are now active in the Account Settings -> Account Security panel. Outlined ...

Twitter Blog: Unauthorized Access: An Update
Twitter Blog Unauthorized Access: An Update on Security 811282302648909752 Thursday, April 30, 2009 This week, unauthorized access to Twitter ...

Some authenticated requests result in spurious 401 Unauthorized errors that should be HTTP 500-series ...
A number of authenticated requests to the API that would normally result in a 500-series error condition are currently throwing 401 errors with ...

All sizes - Commerce Committee Hearing on Unauthorized Mystery Telephone Charges - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...

The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story - Trailer - YouTube
Check out the first trailer for Lifetime's look at what happened behind-the-scenes on Saved by the Bell.

Brian Mulroney : The Unauthorized Chapter : the fifth estate : CBC News
CBC's the fifth estate is Canada's premiere investigative journalism series.

Trudeau Suited Up In Unauthorized Menswear Ad (PHOTO)
After trying Jim Flaherty and Stephen Harper on for size, clothing retailer Harry Rosen is now turning its eye to a new, slightly younger model ...