Web part or web application

I need to know if it's possible to build or find and application like this:

It will be in our intranet.  I need for anyone internal in our domain to be able to not have to login at all just go to the application or web page/site.  Then they need to be able to submit a form that has an issue number, employee name, employee number, issue description, date, and also have a submit to drop down that has a list of position names(like welding supervisor, human resources, information systems).  Then when they click submit I need it to automatically e-mail the submitted to person like weldingsuper@company.com.  I also need it to have a status box that has approved or denied.  Then I also need it to send a reminder e-mail if the item is over so many days old.  I also need it to sort the items by employee number.  But also have permissions so only the submitted to people can edit, delete, approve, deny any of the items, so I guess I would need it to have anonymous login and login information stored for it.

I just need to know if this is possible and what programs I need to build it or if there is already something out there that I can use as a base application and modify it.

I have a Windows Server 2003, with sharepoint services installed.  I have FrontPage 2003 and Visual Web Developer.  I am hoping with the combo of these programs it;s possible.

0
adukart

Ok, maybe I should start with an easier question.

Can I create a web application, that has items, or issues, or records, whatever you want to call them. Can I write in the code so that when ever someone selects Welding, as the submitted to field, that the address welding@company.com gets sent an e-mail stating they have a new item?  And then also gets an e-mail stating it is so many days old, after something like 2 weeks?

0
adukart
5/12/2006 1:59:32 PM
Well, with Visual Web Developer you should be able to create a web application with forms to accept the kind of input you're talking about and then send off an email to some address or other based on the submitted to field. You'll need someplace to store the data for your items, issues, records, whatever, like a database so the web app has someplace to store and retrieve the data from. You'll need an email server that you can access to send the emails.

If you want someone to be emailed when an item is so many days old you'll probably want to do that as a seperate app not part of the web app. The web app will only be active when someone is in the UI doing something so if you did the reminder email as part of the web app and no one used the web app for 5 days or 3 weeks or whatever then no one would get reminder emails during that time. You probably want a standalone app or service that monitors the records and whenever it finds one that is more than X days old sends an email to whoever.

If this post answered your question please remember to 'Mark as Answer'!
0
bpag
5/12/2006 5:35:57 PM

Thanks.

I do have an Exchange 2003 server with Windows Server 2003 and Sharepoint Services.  Now that I know it's possible, I also was wondering some other things.

What is the difference between Windows Sharetpoint Services and DotNetNuke?  Should I look into DotNetNuke being I am looking at using ASP.NET 2.0?

I need to build an intranet for my company, am I researching the right stuff?  My boss thinks I am looking to deep into things and that I should be able to find a simple out of the box solution.  But with the specifics I described in my first post I think I will need to do alot more editing that he thinks.

I am going to be in a week long training on Developing ASP.NET Web Applications with Visual Studio 2005.  Do you think this is a good course for me to be taking?  Do you think I will learn the use of Visual Web Developer Express?

0
adukart
5/18/2006 5:21:18 PM

Anybody know?

What is the difference between Windows Sharetpoint Services and DotNetNuke?  Should I look into DotNetNuke being I am looking at using ASP.NET 2.0?

I need to build an intranet for my company, am I researching the right stuff?  My boss thinks I am looking to deep into things and that I should be able to find a simple out of the box solution.  But with the specifics I described in my first post I think I will need to do alot more editing that he thinks.

I am going to be in a week long training on Developing ASP.NET Web Applications with Visual Studio 2005.  Do you think this is a good course for me to be taking?  Do you think I will learn the use of Visual Web Developer Express?

0
adukart
5/31/2006 3:25:51 PM
Does anyone know if I would need more than the Express edition (Visual Web Developer)?  I am willing to purchase what ever is needed but it seems I may not even need the VS 2005 Standard.
0
adukart
6/12/2006 3:48:25 PM

Ok, so there are many questions to answer.

Let's start with the class and software.  I would imagine a week-long class should at least get you up to speed with what you're going to need to do.  So, yes, it's a good idea.  Visual Web Developer will probably be fine, at least at first.  One tool that you (or I should say management) might like to have are some reports generated from any data.  If that is the case, I would suggest investing in Studio Developer which includes all the languages and Crystal Reports.

Before I delve into the technical questions, what is your coding background?  If you are fairly new to programming in general and your boss wants something soon, it might be in your best interest to invest in a third party application.  However, if you've been programming, but just not in ASP.NET, then take the class and build it yourself.

Let's break the application down into two seperate sections.  First, is the web app that allows for item entry and the admin section.  Second, is the reminder e-mails.

I'm going to address #2 first as I don't know how to do it, but I know what you can use to make it happen.  I would create a Windows Scheduled Task.  This task can be set to run on the server at a certain time (probably early morning since that's the slowest traffic time).  I would just make it run an IE page that makes a call to the DB to find the appropriate records, send the e-mails, then close the window.  All of the action would take place in the Page_Load event and shouldn't be more than 20-30 lines of code.  As for the Task, you'll need to Google that.  I've seen it used before, but I haven't played with them yet.

Ok, #1.  If everyone in the company has a windows login, then the likelihood of all company users being stored in Active Directory is probably pretty good.  I would use AD user info to dictate who could only submit and who has admin access.  Even better, if there is an AD group that would have admin access, that makes it all the easier (you could probably have one created if it doesn't already exist).  You would set up the item entry section, then create a asp:panel and set visible = false.  Inside that panel build a datagrid with edit, update, delete, etc. functionality.  On login (using Windows authentication), you would check to see if the user is a member of the admin AD group.  If they are, then change the panel visible to true, else do nothing.  Using AD would also let you get rid of some personal fields depending on what info is stored on each employee in AD (Name, Emp#, etc.).

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by Convergence Communications Consultants.
0
larko_s
6/12/2006 7:07:11 PM

Thanks for the help.

I am going to start off with the Visual Web Developer and if I run into the point that I need Visual Studio then we will purchase that.  I program forms and server scripts in Outlook and on our Exchange Server but no I don't have extensive programming background.  I beleive with some extra time to learn I should be able to get a web app written and usable myself without having to purchase one (I hope).

Guess I am just going to get started and follow your suggestions for e-mail and such.

0
adukart

Is it possible to include a sharepoint web part in a .NET Web Application?
I have a .NET Web Application created in Visual Studio, and separately of that, a sharepoint site with a workflow web part.Not knowing anything about SharePoint, is there any way to use the sharepoint web part / control in an aspx page outside of the sharepoint framework? i.e. making use of the sharepoint control outside of sharepoint, as if the sharepoint control was .net ascx control...or like an 'include' file? If not - is there a way to convert a sharepoint web part to a .net user control?What I want want do is make use of the sharepoint web part functionality without using a sh...

web web web

Stop and Start a Web Application using Application Pool contains may Web Applications
Hi, In my IIS 6.0, there is a Application Pool. This Application Pool contains 5 Asp.net Web Application. But I need to stop and restart one particular Web Application. How to do that? What is the process to start and stop a Asp.net Web Application. when the Web Application uses a Application Pool and the Particular Application Pool contains other Web Application as well.?     if you want like that then create separate application pool for each web application. Then you can start and stop one particular web application. Other easy way is just modify the web.config file of you...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

Unable to open existing Web application or create web application from Visual Studio.Net
I reinstalled MS office this morning. All of sudden, I can neither open existing web application nor create new Web application. The symptom is the same as described in thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=417541 or http://www.dotnetcoders.com/web/Articles/ShowArticle.aspx?article=57 Tried every suggestion. Still can't do anything. When I tried to check server extention, I got following error message: can't open file "fontpg.lck" for writing Do anyone has any suggestion? Could anyone tell me what permission should I set? I added A...

Running a web application within my existing web application
 Hi. I have a site set up in .net 1.1 that runs fine. A requirement came through recently to incorporate some elements by way of a third party application. I have set up a virtual directory inside my main application which points to the folder that contains the third party application. This virtual directory is also set up to run as an application. The third party application allows me to create forms. I have created a page in my main application that uses 1 user control from the third party application to display a form. I am getting the following error when trying to run the page:Serv...

Difference between mobile web applications and standard web applications + mobile web forms in them ?
I have a series of existing sites, but I need to make a PPC version of them (there already is one, but it uses standard web forms). Since the code-behind looks a lot in the PC and in the PPC version, I'd like both versions to use the same files for the code. I'm left with 2 options : - either create a new mobile web application for each existing web application, and put all the code behind in .dlls which I'll call from each page ; - or, if this is possible (and I'd rather do it), simply add mobile web forms to the existing web applications and redirect at login to the appropriate ve...

Web part through web control -- how to get the url
I am not able to get the request variable to work in my webcontrol webpart.    Anybody know how i can get request or response to work? Hi, I’m not quite clear on your words. You mentioned in a WebPart project, you can’t get the request url variable?  But I think we can get it from Context.Request.Url , even in your WebPart application, web controls which be wrapped as a genericWebPart, i.e. you can assign the text property of a textbox webpart with the value you got from Context.Request.Url.  Anything wrong? Maybe I’ve misunderstood your words, if so, please feel...

How do I get my web application running on web server ?
In VB.Net 2003 std I have made ASP.NET web application that runs fine on my home pc when debugging. Then I click "Build web application1" but what are the next/ right steps to get this application running on web server? Then I copied all files to server and made a script(short script with jawa in index.html -file)  that starts WebForm1.aspx, but I get error on web page:<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="WebForm1.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebApplication1.WebForm1"%>I am a beginner with ASP:NET and internet.      Looks like your server is set t...

Getting started with web application
I'm new to Visual Studio and I have trouble getting 'just started'. So I have a couple of questions.   First of all, is there a tutorial which will take me through the first steps of getting started? Current tutorials have not done the trick.   Second, if such a tutorial does not exist, What is the base to start? A web application (as I suppose) or a project? It must be possible to work with two programmers simultaneously. In such conditions, what is preferred?   Third, the layout of the website is as follows: a division into four parts with the menu on the left, the 'm...

Web Site to Web Application 2005 and Web References
I'm trying to convert a VS 2005 Web Site  Project to a VS 2005 Web Application Project, I have followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx, which works fine for most objects but it does not convert the Web References.I can add them manually, however I need to ensure that the Web Reference Name is the same for all my Web Services, this is to ensure that I can used Shared Types.  The problem is on VS 2005 Web Application it renames the Web Reference Name to Localhost1, localhost2 etc. Any ideas how I can get over this?Regards <<<Bryan...

Encrypt web application/ web site (all web pages)
Hello, I want to encrypt (secure) the whole web site when it is deployed on a remote server. Is there a way in ASP.NET 2.0 / IIS / 3rd party tool to encrypt all web pages that will render it useless for a competitor if they get it?I did look up this forum and google and did not find anything (though I will keep looking). Please respond if you know anything about it. Thanks,vp Please click "Mark as Answer" if you think this post answers your question Yes and no.  First, you can't encrypt web pages.  Those are HTML and displayed in the client's brow...

How to re-specify Start Web Application in Web Matrix?
Hello Is there a place in Web Matrix to alter the Start Web Application settings without restarting Web Matrix? All along, I had been exerimenting with Web Matrix using its inbuilt port 8080 web server, then decided to use the local IIS on my Windows 2000 Professional PC. The very first time I run my web form using View > Start... , I had used the port 8080 one. Subsequently, however, there appears to be no way for me to modify these settings to select the IIS one without restarting Web Matrix--it keeps autmatically using the 8080 one. Can anyone tell me where this is set up a...

Web resources about - Web part or web application - asp.net.getting-started

Second visa application 'likely' to be approved
The family of a terminally ill Pakistani student can 'hopefully come to Australia sooner rather than later' says Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. ...

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 37% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance, Purchase Applications Both Up in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 7.3 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...