Web App or Web site

A really basic question.  Assumation using VS 2008 pro.  What benefit do I get from making a web application in place of a web site?  I know the web application gives me the design.vb file.  Also gives me a project file and solution file.  But with a web site I can still do the code behind and actually have an easier time getting some of my user controls to funtion.  So what would I gain, besides a new learning curve, by deploying a web application?

0
grbourque

the webapplication projects (WAP) has been added to Vs 2005 to simplify the  migration from vs 2003 ,

WAP uses the same build model as vs 2003 ,e.g. the application will be builds as a one dll , not like the website .

WAP also better for the large applications, because the code will be separated to different class library project instead of writing it in App_Code folder in website.

Imagine you have 1000 class in your app_Code , what is the time needed for every website build ? thats why the WAP is better for large projects.

 another difference is the  resource files ,

when using the website , it will be complied into assembly and can't modified during runtime,

but for WAP , you have the option to let them as XML files so  that you can modify them during runtime .

Using website is better for a small to medium projects and its easier because it gives you more Intellisense  Support

e.g : you will get Intellisense  support for  resources , and Profile properties  where you will not get that in WAP.

Web Application Projects

regards,

Regards,

Anas Ghanem.

Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- Thanks!

0
anas
3/8/2008 11:46:01 PM

Anas

Thanks for you reply.  Okay you have cleared up some things in my mind, but have raised a couple questions now.

App_code is not in the WAP.  In the last site I did I had a class called common.  It held many of the subs and functions that I used through out the site.  Why have them on each page when it is easier to just import the common class when needed and call the sub or function.  I then had classes that were limited to an area of the site, for example admin, customer accounts, orders ect.  Where is the preffered place to put things like that now with the WAP?  I did notice that there is not a App-Code folder option.

So with the WAP you can compile and just deploy the dll or you can deploy all the pages and let it compile on the host?  Of course if it is a site that is update alot it would be better to deploy each page and not just the dll.

You mention small projects and large projects.  Which would handle large traffic better, or is there little difference between the proformance?

0
grbourque

The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to.
Name: Zachary Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to. Comments: The web site suggestions are not even close to the web site I want to go to. In Firefox 2 the web site suggestions were perfect, where when you started to type in a web site the web site that you wanted came up in the suggestions if you've been to that web site before. But now in Firefox 3 it also goes by the web sites heading which I don't like. For example, if I wanted to go to fa...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

web web web

how to package VS Web Site App to be published as a Project web site on a production web server in a sub folder of the main website
Hi, I created a VS2k5 Website and used the web site using the small business starter kit as a model.  I published the website to a folder and runs fine.  I decided to copy the website to a folder within another website so when you click on a link it will open up the website start page.  That does not work.  My problem is that I need to publish the website as a project that includes all the tools I used so it can be uploaded to a subfolder into the website and the main webdb page will open.  Is their a way for me to deploy the website a a project? I am open ...

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

Migration from Web Site to Web App
Scott, Your page http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx was great, and almost worked for me. Two things... First, if you are using typed datasets in your web site project, the conversion process automatically wraps the generated code in a namespace, so you really don't have much of a choice about finishing the process manually, as you described. Again, your instructions were complete and excellent.  Second, I have two aspx pages for which the converter did not create the needed .designer.cs files. Can't work out what is special about them. One derives fr...

Web Site vs. Web App
I've been reading a lot of the posts with everyone on the web site projects vs. web application projects.  What concerns me is why did MS put this web site option in?  What really concerns me is if the development community doesn't like it, why should I consider using that option if no one will use it and MS might eventually drop it as an option?  It has to be there for a reason and what I'm interested in is what that reason is...if anyone can add into that. Hi Razor, Some people love the web site option and others prefer the web application option.  It really comes do...

Using Multiple Web.Config for mutliple web apps sharing a web site as virtual directories
I have a web site on IIS 6.0 Windows 2003 Server. I have created several virtual directories to point to other .net projects that I wish to use in the website. The main site, which was made in C#, has a line in the web.config that allows the use of VB by defining a speical code directory. Now, when I attempt to use the other applications they throw this error. It looks like they are all sharing the main web.configParser Error Message: The code subdirectory '/Forum/App_Code/VBCode/' does not exist.Source Error: Line 62: <!-- for SIP asp.net forum -->Line 63: <codeSubDirect...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

I can't log in when deployed to a IIS 7 site, but I can with F5 or with a web app in that web site
I created a website in ASP.NET using a database set up the aspnet_regsql utility. I can log in fine when I hit F5 and run the app or when I use the copy web site tool to create a new web app in an existing site, but when I publish or copy the files to the web site itself set up in IIS I get failed login when I try to log in. I've got anonymous and forms authentication enabled in the site. Is there some magic setting I'm missing to allow me to log into the app from the site as opposed to the temp server set up with F5 or the web app set up in the copy web site tool? Thanks, ...

Web site to web app. does not exist in current context
Hello! I just converted my web site to a web application in asp.net vs 2005 using this guide: http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspxafter conversion I wanted to add a namespace so, i did as the howto told me and chose "surround with..."-> "namespace" and now all my codebehind that tries to do stuff with the aspx-controls gives me the error <control> does not exist in the current context. Does this have to do with the namespaces? how do I get my .aspx files into my newly made namespace? thanx in advance//Arizon The future lies no...

Web Site to Web Application 2005 and Web References
I'm trying to convert a VS 2005 Web Site  Project to a VS 2005 Web Application Project, I have followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx, which works fine for most objects but it does not convert the Web References.I can add them manually, however I need to ensure that the Web Reference Name is the same for all my Web Services, this is to ensure that I can used Shared Types.  The problem is on VS 2005 Web Application it renames the Web Reference Name to Localhost1, localhost2 etc. Any ideas how I can get over this?Regards <<<Bryan...

Web resources about - Web App or Web site - asp.net.getting-started

John Moltz's Very Nice Web Site
John Moltz's Very Nice Website

File:Map of World Heritage Sites in the Americas.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This work, previously under Public Domain, or a Free License has been digitally enhanced, I the creator of this work, hereby grant the permission ...

Site Maintenance
TOmmy has finished on his end, and now Alain and I are working on a few things. We’re getting rid of the default image and kaiboshing the most ...

Some of SoundCloud's most loyal users are starting to lose faith in the site
... is happy. Business Insider has spoken to multiple users and independent record label owners who feel that the music streaming app and website ...

New York State Adds Yahoo To Inquiry Into Daily Fantasy Sports Sites
... that the New York Attorney General’s Office issued a subpoena to Yahoo related to the ongoing investigation into other online fantasy sites ...

GOP lawmaker calls on FCC to ban social media, other sites
In the wake of the Paris attacks, Representative Jim Barton (R-TX) has proposed "Doing something" about terrorists' use of social media but the ...

Shares of dating site Match.com jump in market debut
Shares of dating site Match.com jump in market debut

Minneapolis police clear protesters' camp site as tensions rise over man's shooting
Minneapolis police clear protesters' camp site as tensions rise over man's shooting

New site wants to be the AMA forum for professionals seeking career advice
Reddit AMAs with bigwigs and celebrities can certainly be entertaining, but what if there was a site that hosted AMAs and connected you with ...

Web Trumps Pits Site Against Site in a Card Game That Doesn't Need Internet Access
Based on a popular card game called Top Trumps created back in 1968, Web Trumps pits popular websites against each other in a card game that ...