VS 2005 Win App Vs Web App

I am about to start writing an application that will monitor the locations of our golf carts, how this works is when a cart gets close to a hole or other locations on our course it will update our database with it's location. once the database is updated the change will be sent to the clients screen showing the cart in it's new location "The clients display is graphical showing a map on the course and the carts location on the course". Please keep in mind that this app will also allow the user to assign available technicians to work on carts needing maintenance and it will keep track of maintenance schedules for the carts.

Some fact:

 * This app will run on our companies network only

 * All client machines are running XP possibly moving to Vista in the next year or so

 * Framework 2.0 is installed on all client machines

 * Possible 200 clients around the system "Nation wide"

 Questions:

 * Win App Or Web App and why

 * If Win App will there be any major bandwidth draws on the network

 * If Web App what effect would it have on the server and bandwidth

 * If Web App would I be backing myself into a corner on future enhancements due to web app limitations

* When the update came in would the web app flicker when it refreshed

 In advance thank you very much for your input.

SEA

SEA_APT
0
dmonta1

I do mostly web stuff so I'm no expert on win apps but I'll point out a few things:

1. One of the biggest advantages to web is going to be that you don't need to install the app everywhere you want to use it. Anyone who needs access just fires up the browser and brings it up. If you're looking at 200 clients nation wide installing the app on them all and later updating it as new features are added could be a pretty big undertaking.

2. If you do a web app it isn't going to be able to get updates from the server as carts move about. Your web app will have to, at some interval, make requests back to the server to get the positions of the carts. So with web you're always pulling the locations from the server with win app you could potentially push the updated locations to the clients as need be.

3. As for the flickering question if you post the page back to get updates then you'll certainly get flicker. If you use ajax from the web app to get the updated positions and move the carts accordingly it will be much smoother. Keeping in mind that in the ajax case the web page is going to be updated with javascript if there is a lot of movement it will not look as smooth as a win app would.

4. Would you back yourself into a corner due to web app limitations? Depends on what you might want to do.You won't be doing high end graphics on a web app if that is what you want to do and there are some things that are tougher to do in a web app because of the stateless nature and the need to work within the browser's DOM to make modifications to the display but a lot of things that used to be fairly impossible with web apps is now possible thanks to ajax and dhtml and javascript.

Well that doesn't answer your question but provides some food for thought.

If this post answered your question please remember to 'Mark as Answer'!
0
bpag
2/3/2007 5:32:55 PM

Just one note .. some more food for the same thought

 Re. the app "install everywhere..", .net comes with ClickOnce installations that would pretty much take care of updates of an installed app automatically, transparent, getting only the assemblies that are newer, etc. That simplifies a lot the maintenance, you just compile a latest version of the app and the ClickOnce mechanisms make it as such as the client checks and gets the latest version next time it runs.

From msdn site:

"ClickOnce is a new application deployment technology that makes deploying a Windows Forms based application as easy as deploying a web application. With ClickOnce running a Windows Forms application is as simple as clicking a link in a web page. For administrators, deploying or updating an application is simply a matter of updating files on a server; no need to individually touch every client."

 Full msdn help on this topic here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa497348.aspx

 /Lucian

0
luccig

Web apps Vs Win apps
Hi everyone.  I am conducting a survey on Web base applications Vs Windows base applications.  Please state the disadvantages and advantages of both, then conclude which one you would use.  Your participation will be of great help to me.  THANKS Some of the key differences are: Windows Applications Better able to exploit the resources on the client machine Generally more comprehensive functionality (try writing office under a browser) Easier to develop for (no browser incompatibility issues) Easier to debug client code A nightmare to deploy (roll on ClickOnce +...

Problems with web controls after upgrading web app from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hey All, I am currently in the process of upgrading our web application to .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. I have done all the converting that was required for the web application but we have issues with controls that we have created not being displayed. Below is a diagram of the inheritence of one of our web controls. Form ---- contains ---- TableRowControl.cs(inherits TableRow) ---- contains ----- ValidDecimalTextBox.cs ------ inherits ----- ValidBaseTextbox.cs(inherits CustomValidator)                 &nb...

Problems with web controls after upgrading web app from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hey All,  I am currently in the process of upgrading our web application to .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. I have done all the converting that was required for the web application but we have issues with controls that we have created not being displayed. Below is a diagram of the inheritence of one of our web controls.  Form   ---- contains ----   TableRowControl.cs(inherits TableRow)  ---- contains -----  ValidDecimalTextBox.cs     ---- inherits ----- ValidBaseTextbox.cs(inherits CustomValidator)      ...

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Web App created in VS 2005 Ent. won't open on VS 2005 Pro
I created a web app in visual studio 2005 (enterprise edition I think.. see below).  I took the app home and tried to open the project and it said it 'couldn't open this type of project'.  Very generic error.  The error is "unable to open this project with the current installation".  WHat kind of garbage is this???  ANSWER:  Create a new asp.net web app  and copy the files over.  It must have been something with the project file.  thnx,seed seed:The error is "unable to open this project with the current installati...

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

DB2/NT Development App vs.Test App vs. Production App
We are encountering a situation where we are using a unique owner name (DEVLDBA.tablenames) for our DB2/NT tables in our development environment. We don't want to change the DW SQL <owner name> when we move the application to test(TESTDBA.tablenames)environment and again when we move to production(PRODDBA.tablenames). Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. The key to this is having datawindows created without qualifying the table names. This is done by default whenever you create a datawindow against tables owned by the current user. For instance, if you...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

vs.net 2005 web app assembly info
Since I no longer have the 1.x-style assemblyinfo.cs to add my assembly versioning/description/strong key information, how do I add it to a 2.0 web app? Yo can do that in VS2005 with Publish Web Site tool,there's a setting to enable strong naming on precompiled assemblies. And same can be done with aspnet_compiler.exe (tool coming with Framework itself) Note also AssemblyKeyFile and AssemblyVersion attributes.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you. A common scenario at my company using vs.net 2003 would be for a person to check out an aspx file, make a change to it, ch...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

setup requirements to step into a vb 6.0 dll from a web app debug session in VS 2003 or VS 2005
Has anyone done this type of debugging - at a dll obj call when stepping thru the asp side of a tiered web app in the .NET 2003 or 2005 IDX tool (on a WIN 2003 R2 OS) - with the VB 6.0 dll project loaded in the vb dev app in debug mode - the goal being to step thru the dll object code to determine that processing is occurring as expected on the dll side - and then return to the next step on the asp side in the .NET IDE tool. Well,  apparently MSDN has an article about it here.  Check it out. Jimmy ChandraBlogging at Incoherent RamblingMark this post as Answer if you think it...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

Web resources about - VS 2005 Win App Vs Web App - asp.net.getting-started

A New World Religion Is Consecrated – In Paris
Mark this day in your calendars. A new religion has been formally consecrated with an Oval Office ball-spiking by the President , “ this historic ...

SNL‘s Greta Van Susteren Suffers Through Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, and Ben Carson
Ted Cruz ‘s media moment has arrived, if this week’s Saturday Night Live is any indication. On the sketch show’s version of Fox News’ On the ...

Fire damages Calif. mosque; man, 23, arrested
NBCNews.com Fire damages Calif. mosque; man, 23, arrested Philly.com COACHELLA, Calif. - A Southern California mosque was damaged in a fire ...

Did Daisy Ridley Get Any Advice from Harrison Ford About 'Star Wars'? Find Out Here!
Daisy Ridley shows off her cool patterned dress at the Star Wars: The Force Awakens premiere held at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel on Friday ...

Saudi Arabian women vote for first time in local elections
Reuters Saudi Arabian women vote for first time in local elections Reuters RIYADH Saudi Arabian women voted for the first time on Saturday ...

Atleast 21 Dead, Dozens Injured In Russian Hospital Fire
International Business Times Atleast 21 Dead, Dozens Injured In Russian Hospital Fire International Business Times Russia-fire At least 21 ...

Derrick Henry offered a winning combination for Heisman
ESPN Derrick Henry offered a winning combination for Heisman ESPN NEW YORK - Like every little boy who ever ran in a front yard with a football, ...

FBI Concludes Search of San Bernardino Lake
FBI Concludes Search of San Bernardino Lake

Gambia's president declares country Islamic republic - The Hindu
Gambia’s President has declared the tiny West African country an Islamic republic, saying he decided this because Islam is the religion of the ...

What's Your Dream Video Game Holiday Gift?
If you could get any piece of video game hardware, software or paraphernalia as a holiday gift, what would it be? Aside from a stock graphic ...