Visual Studio 2005 Vs Visual Web Developer 2005

 Hi,

I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on .NET programming, I have been exclusively doing web development using Coldfusion until now, thinking of learning .Net as I see more promising career in .NET in my area.

Please bear with me, my question is very basic, I have being using eclipse until now, and have been spoiled by its flexibility

Ok, I bought a book, I want to try some coding, so now I am stuck with choosing an IDE. My understanding is that the express edition for visual studio has 3 IDEs (C#, VB.NET, Web Developer), but the actual visual studio that one has to pay for is just one application, is that right. How do these free IDEs compare to the actual IDE on performance and ease of use, other limitations  etc.  Should I try to get the paid version, or are the free ones all put together as good as the paid one? I am kind of scared by these free version, because I downloaded SQL server express edition, and the management studio's look and feel is so different from SQL server enterprise manager, which I work with at work. It is weird and slow and I didn't use it after the first time. So please help me here, if some one has used both the free and paid one, please give some comparison.

0
ksun

 Performance wise the free one's compare well.

I would suggest using the free ones till you are comfortable and then decide to go with the Standard / professional edition depending on your need.

Take a look at the link below for product comparisons

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2005/aa700921.aspx-- 2005

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/products/cc149003.aspx --2008

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev
8/9/2008 9:54:38 PM

Jeev,

Thanks for the reply, The list is big, looks like the free ones will work for now, the book I have for ASP.NET assumes I have visual studio 2005, it does look like it is referring to the paid one, so I might have some problems there, but hopefully it will be straight forward and I will be able to figure it out.

0
ksun
8/9/2008 10:43:03 PM

 Hi Ksun,

as mentioned in my earlier post.. you should be good to start off with the free version and then migrate to the paid version

Please close this thread if you feel that your question has been answered

Jeev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you get the answer to your question, please mark it as the answer.
0
Jeev

Getting Started with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 was released on 4/17/2005.  Here's some important information for users to get started with: If you installed any version of Whidbey Beta 1 products, you must uninstall all Whidbey Beta 1 products before installing Beta 2.  The following links provide details and additional information about uninstalling: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/19/409555.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408769.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408768.aspx You ...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

Visual Studio 2005 vs visual Web Developer
hi, i'm new user for visual studio 2005. Currently i have an assignment need create demo web-base application which integrates some of telephony feature. My question: 1) Can i know what different between Ms Visual studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer (asp.net) vs Ms Visual Studio.NET? 2) Which of the above Ms Visual is best for telephony support structure? Any hit will sincerely appreciate. Best Regards       THe following links should cover the differences between versions: Visual Studio 400 DifferencesVisual Studio 2005 Product Line Overview If you're building a...

Visual Web Developer vs Visual Studio 2005
Hey,  Wondered if anyone here could tell me what difference, if any, there are between Visual Web Developer and Visual Studio (other than the price). For doing ASP.NET sites with C# and a database?  Cheers! Damien Visual Studio 2005 Product Line Overview Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site Cool! Thanks Basically, for ASP and C# there is 0 advantage is VS Damien http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrantie...

Visual Web Developer vs Visual Studio 2005
I was just hired for an intranet applications developer using ASP.NET (coming from a PHP job) and they've asked me to come up with a listing of software that I'll need. I'm a little confused as to the difference between Visual Web Developer and Visual Studio 2005. Does VS 2005 contain Visual Web Developer or is it a separate product altogether? Which would you recommend? thanks VS2005 does contain Visual Web Developer. VWD is a product targeted at developing only web applications, and you can buy it separately, if you intend to develop only and only web apps.Thanks,Tee...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Visual Web Developer Express 2005 coexist with Visual Studio 2005 Professional
I'd like to show some people here Visual Web Developer Express 2005 but I already have/use Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 Professional on my laptop. Can they all coexist? (I saw many notes about not having VS 2005 beta with Express but non on VS 2005 Professional with Express) Thank you.   Yes they can, but since you already have VS 2005 Pro you don't need VWD Express as VS 2005 includes all VWD features and adds more (such as HTML Accessibility Checker and Web Form Localization).Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provi...

Visual Web Developer Express vs Visual Studio 2005
Hello, I would like to know how are these two applications compared. I am wanting to learn asp.net 2.0 for web programming, so maybe I could just stick with Visual Web Developer since it's free and probably doesn't lack functionality. My guess is that with Visual Studio you can build everything from Windows software to asp.net websites? Can someone give me more information on these two products?Thank you You might want to check out the FAQ for Studio 2005 and Express. But basically, Web Developer will do everything that the Web Development portion of Studio 2005 does.  It is lacki...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer #2
Hello Forum,  Can anyone give me a rundown/link me to a place where I can find information on the cost/benefit of running visual studio 2005 vs. visual web developer?  I go to UT Austin and get the Visual Studio 2005 software at a discount (in fact, I already have it installed), but I was wondering if it would be better to switch to the Visual Web Developer or the pros/cons of running either one?... I've googled the subject, but haven't been able to come up with anything definitive... Any input would help. Thanks, -Tom   Apologies for the duplicate post... ...

Differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?
What are the differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?I can't find a listing of the differences anywhere on Microsofts site. http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/This link described the express editions.  And from this FAQ:The Express products are designed for hobbyists, students, and novice developers. As such, they lack the full breadth of features found in higher-end editions of Visual Studio and are designed specifically for scenarios common to the hobbyist, student, and novice developer. Each Express product includes targeted documenta...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Should I buy Visual Studio 2005 or Get Visual Web Developer Express
I currently use Visual Studio 2003 and don't see how I can ever do without it. I am a web developer who uses exclusevely C# in development. At times, I will develop controls in C# for my websites for reuse.Now that ASP.NET 2 is coming and therefore the new version of Visual Studio (which is 2005), I am looking to upgrade. However, the FREE Visual Web Developer Express C# development tool looks like it has everything I need in order to develop enterprise class websites and controls.My question is: is there a list of functionality that will show me what Visual Studio 2005 has that Wed Develope...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2005 Vs Visual Web Developer 2005 - asp.net.getting-started

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Swift is quickly rising in popularity as a developer language … but how much is Apple using Swift?
... most popular language in the TIOBE index . The surge in popularity was spurred by the release of Swift into open-source in December. With developer ...

Developers Get On Survival Mode In The Wilderness Of Lapland
... isn’t enough of a challenge. Now one of the largest game development events, Finnish Game Jam Goes Survival Mode , gathers together 20 developers ...

American game developer freed from Iranian custody after four years
Amir Hekmati (credit: FreeAmir ) As part of a prisoner swap this weekend, 32-year-old Iranian-American game developer Amir Mizra Hekmati has ...

Apple's iAd may soon allow developers to keep all the revenue
Back in 2010, Steve Jobs revealed Apple’s new mobile advertising platform iAd. The goal of this new venture into advertising was to make the ...

Create promo codes for your apps and in-app products in the Google Play Developer Console
Posted by Yoshi Tamura, Product Manager, Google Play Over the past six months, a number of new tools in the Google Play Developer Console have ...

Bitcoin has 'failed,' says one of its most prominent developers
A disillusioned high-profile developer has quit bitcoin — claiming in an explosive blog post that the "experiment ... has failed." Mike Hearn ...

Watch app developer won’t sleep until vets with PTSD can
A watch app developed by the son of an Iraq war veteran could help veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder finally get good sleep.

Android Developers Can Now Issues Promo Codes for Paid Apps or In-App Purchases
Have you ever wondered why you never saw developers hand out special promo codes for their paid apps through giveaways on Twitter or sites like ...