Using web matrix web server with Visual Studio .NET 2003

Hello all,

I am a computer system technology student and my college is a part of the MSDN Academic alliance, so I managed to recieve an educational copy of Visual Studio.NET 2003. Seeing as I am on a work term and actually have free time at night... I have decided to punish myself and learn another technology.
My problem is that I am running it on a Windows XP Home edition system at home, so I cannot run IIS. I do have the professional CD, also from MSDN acdemic alliance, but,
1) I may someday use my XP Home to produce comercial solutions in HTML, PHP, JSP or other (though I'll probably use my Mandrake 10.1 or Fedora core 3 installs for that since I like using konqueror's SSH, but you never know) and I'm not sure if the academic license for the Prof would allow that
2) My family does not want me to format their hard-drive and put on prof, and I don't really feel like splitting the harddrive 3 ways to triple boot the system
3) I don't have (nor do I have a real need for, since I'm just doing this to learn) a host that can support ASP.NET
When I try to create an ASP.NET project in VS.NET 2003, it won't let me without a server specified, and it seems to almost work when the webmatrix one is running, then it comes up with an error and dies.
Is there a way to use the web matrix web server to host a VS.NET 2003 ASP.NET project?
I guess I could manage with just Web matrix, but it is a pain when you want to use code behind (which I do) and not having code completion (Microsoft calls it intellisense) is a pain, especially when you know you have such a powerful product you should be able to use...
Thanks in advance,
-mwalts
0
mwalts

I don't think it's possible.
In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't.
0
optik
11/25/2004 4:25:01 AM
You can just run an inplace upgrade to xp pro from xp home no need to reformat the machine.

Then other users will not see any change but you can work with iis
If you need more info just ask
Regards
Jeremy
Regards
Jeremy
If this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.
0
jeremyh
11/25/2004 9:35:04 AM
ok, I've hear that there are sometimes problems with upgrading to XP Pro, but I guess I could just image the drive (40 gigs, ug, that will take a while, thank goodness I have a dvd burner so I'll only have 10 disks to lost)

but it seems to me that the other users of the machine will notice a difference, won't quick user switching not work anymore, and would we get the ctrl-alt-del login screen instead of that welcome window?
On the plus side, I could setup my linux box as a domain controller and get some practice with domains/profiles... hmmm, I'll see if I can talk them into it. I could see one other possible problem though, I burned the xp pro disk just before my last burner kicked the can, and I've noticed some other discs I've burnt at that time have had errors that have not appeared into half way through installations, well I guess there is nothing for it but to try
For those that are interested, I found This Site which goes over a way of getting IIS on windows XP home, but he says right in the post that it will not work with the Windows XP Prof disk version of IIS, which is the only one that I have.
And you will notice that the new VS.NET 2005 beta uses Cassini for local developement just like Web Matrix, so really I should be able to use that same web server... maybe if I download Cassini directly instead of the Web Matrix veriant, or perhaps I should just switch to the beta
Thanks for your help
-mwalts
0
mwalts

will web matrix server work with visual studio.net 2003?
This might sound like a strange request but i have web matrix installed on XP home. I want to install visual studio.net for developing instead of web matrix (because of code-behind and intellisense). Can i use the web matrix server to run the visual studio apps that i make? I cant use IIS on xp home can i? Thanks in advance No you can't use IIS on XP home, and I don't believe it works with web matrix server. VS2005 will have it's own local web server, similar to web matrix. BrianBrian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

Unable to start debugging on the web server. The debugger is not registered on the web server computer. Visual Studio or the full remote debugger components must be installed on the web server!
Can somebody help me with this error message i get this when i want to debug my web application. I looked on the web many sites are talking about it but no one gives a good explanation for it. I use VS 2005, My OS is Windows XP professional 64 bits(Maybe this is the cause!) And the web prject is a Shop online. Thanks for your help!!  I think you should register IIS with Framework 2.0; How? run the below command on Command Prompt. C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i Hope it will work. Regards,  Ather Ali ShaikhSr. System AnalystGASCO Abu Dhabi,...

Web Matrix versus Visual Studio.Net 2003
I am sure that this post has been asked a thousand times, but hopefully I can put a little spin on it (that and I cant find everything I am looking for). Okay, I have been developing sites for a few years using Dreamweaver and standard ASP. Most of my code has been on the actual pages as opposed to another layer; but that's all I ever knew. I have always integrated databases into my sites. I liked the WYSIWYG of Dreamweaver and its ease of use. These have always been sites for the general public. Now, what I am about to do is design a web-based information portal for my company to replace...

How do I port web matrix application to visual studio.net 2003
Hi, I have a vb.net web matrix application and I want to import it to visual studio.net 2003 and then convert aspx files to codebehind. Would a best practise be: 1: Open visual studio.net 2003-start a new ASP.Net application (We now have a Virtual Dir set up in IIS (MyApplicationName)-we were using the casini web server before!) 2: Copy all the aspx web matrix files and folders into C:Intpub/WWWroot/MyApplicationName 3: Go to visual studio project and highlight then add existing item --your aspx web matrix files Question: what is a good way to convert the existing ASPX f...

Smart Device Application for file transfer to a remote server in .Net Compact Framework (Using Visual Studio.Net 2003,C# code)
Dear all, We are developing a smart device application (using C# code) for .Net Compact Framework where we need to write a programme in C# code to transfer a file from mobile device to remote server/machine.Can anyony help us regarding this aaplication.If you have already done this or you find any article/link regarding to this application then please let me know about that. My mail id : anirbandas.ju@gmail.com Looking forward for your reply soon. Regards Anirban   hi hav u got any solution , becoz i too need. plz share with me...

Help on How to Create Tabs in Web Applications using Visual Studio .net 2003 Programming langauge Csharp
 How can I create tabs in Web application using Visual Studio.net 2003 . I am using Csharp  as programming language.  I am using Microsoft  Framework 1.1Your help will be highly appreciated.Regards  Hi,you can use this starter kit: http://www.asp.net/downloads/archived/starter-kits/issue-tracker/ to grab what you need. I used it myself about 4/5 years ago for a small application.Grz, Kris. Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. Use jquery [www.jquery.com]. They have very cool support for tabs....