using non .net DLL in .net web application

Is it possible to use a non .NET DLL in a .NET web application ?

I have a vb.net web application, and I am thinking of purchasing a pascal DLL to use in it.  I am not sure if its possible, or if there are any downsides?  I really don't want to run anything that could cause any problems or complications.

Thanks!

mike123

0
mike123

Yes, it's perfectly possible to use non-.NET DLLs. The way to do it is called Interop. If you Google for that, you'll find plenty on it.

0
MelvynHarbour
8/18/2008 8:30:11 AM

 just add reference ... compile ....and use...

Please click Mark as Answer on this post if it helps you
0
russell786
8/18/2008 10:01:02 AM

In a previous web application I developed awhile back in .NET 1.1, I used interop and experienced some memory leak problems.  It was an image manipulation program, and I spent alot of time manually disposing absolutely everything but to no avail.  I was forced to upgrade the code to pure .NET code, and this fixed the memory leak problem.

I am worried about experiencing this again using interop in .NET 2.0.  Has anything been improved in .NET 2.0 ?  Might I still experience this problem ?  Any ways around it ?

Thanks,

Mike123

0
mike123
8/18/2008 1:20:53 PM

Friend, it enitrely depends on the way the coding that has been done in that Pascal DLL also. Currently in the .Net 2.0 memory management has been
significantly improved and I have not faced any memory leak problem where i am using a VC++ dll in my web application.

You can comfortably go ahead try to implement them through InterOp feature.

Good article for you..

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/cominterop.aspx

Hope this helped you. Good Luck.

Please Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
cv_vikram

.DLL compiled with .NET 1.1 to be used in Web app done in .NET 2.0
Hi all,If I have a bunch of business objects that where compiled in .NET version 1.1, would it be possible for my ASP.NET (done in .NET 2.0) application to pick up these objects (.dll file) and start to use them?(Would be great if some-one could provide some form of documentation on this)ThanksTryst Hi Tryst, This should work fine.  In general, you can use V1.1 assemblies with V2.0 applications.  The reverse, though, is not true. Hope this helps, Scott ok, cool.ThanksTryst Comparative study on VS .Net 2003 and VS.Net 2005 .Net Framework versions used are ver...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

.NET Web Service and Non .NET programe
When we develop a web service by VB.NET. Then i use visual basic, Microsoft access, asp. Can these stuff access to my web service ? Means you want to access Webserver developed in VB.NET in ASP application?Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

.NET CLIENT TO ACCESS a non. NET WEB SERVICE
I develop in .net and need to create a web client to connect to a web service built in Java. http://xchainj.com:8080/axis/services/ScsEnvirodatWaterQualityIndexServiceSoap Its pretty easy when the web service was also built in .net. You can just create a web reference with the gui and automatically can see its functions and stuff. when i put this url in the box and hit go i dont get to see its functions. maybe this shouldnt be the url of the WSDL?? I Have no idea. Im very new to all of this. If there are any examples of .net clients connecting to non .net web clients it woul...

.Net Application generators
There are a few .Net complete n-tier application generators that generate directly from your database. Some even have their own database building tools. They are great and easy to follow and their applications generate real VB.Net and C# code, easy to learn. These are great starts for .Net stuff except for one thing, PRICE. Iron Speed is about $1500 and for the same exact product features ASPNetNow sells for only $279 for their Web Matrix version or $530 for VS version. Another company Avalanche sells for $995. Amazing price ranges. The first two match feature for feature except the first yo...

Cross-Platform .NET Development: Using Mono, Portable.NET, and Microsoft .NET
Interesting book I came across: Cross-Platform .NET Development $49.99 doesn't hurt too much either :) NOTE: Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. It's being released on September 30th, 2004 - one to keep an eye on...www.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshotgamer.com - Gaming News and Reviews How about this book from Oreilly? Mono: A Developer's Notebook http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/monoadn/...

Web resources about - using non .net DLL in .net web application - asp.net.getting-started

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Seagate pushing non-PC storage for 2016 with focus on surveillance applications
... products for cloud computing, consumer electronics, surveillance and enterprise storage for 2016. Seagate expects surveillance-related applications ...