Using Multiple Web.Config for mutliple web apps sharing a web site as virtual directories

I have a web site on IIS 6.0 Windows 2003 Server. I have created several virtual directories to point to other .net projects that I wish to use in the website. The main site, which was made in C#, has a line in the web.config that allows the use of VB by defining a speical code directory. Now, when I attempt to use the other applications they throw this error. It looks like they are all sharing the main web.config

Parser Error Message: The code subdirectory '/Forum/App_Code/VBCode/' does not exist.

Source Error:

Line 62: <!-- for SIP asp.net forum -->
Line 63: <codeSubDirectories>
Line 64: <add directoryName="VBCode" />
Line 65: </codeSubDirectories>
Line 66:

-- shawn

shawn
0
Shawn_Molloy

where does this web.config file reside? In the root of your IIS6? You can override settings in the web.config in a cascading style either by placing a web.config file into a subfolder or using the <location> element in the web.config.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
8/17/2006 2:45:55 PM
Thanks for your Reply Kris.

The web.config file with the problem <app code> resides in the web site root. Within that folder in IIS I have some virtual directories with their own web.config, so it looks like this

- Default Web Site
-- My Web Site <-- web.config
--- Virtual Folder (seperate application)

I'm not sure I understand; where do I set the location property if I move the config files elsewhere?

shawn
0
Shawn_Molloy

the <location> element is used in a certain web.config and could in your case be the one in the web site root. You can actually see it as a replacement of having multiple web.config files, residing in subfolders. A reason why you could use it is to have 1 single web.config that's used to configure several subfolders from within 1 place. This makes it easier to take the web farm approach where you can easily deploy 1 file on each server to get all settings correct on each server.

Grz, Kris.

XIII

Using multiple web.configs with different web apps in the same web folder.
How do I tell a web application to use a specific web.config file instead of referencing the root web apps web.config file? Example: In IIS i have this setup:My Server  Web Sites     Default Web Site (this has web.config with a reference to a HTTP Handler)     My Http Handler           My Sub Web             < --- This sub web is looking for the http handler in this web hope that makes sense.   shawn use location elem...

web web web

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to.
Name: Zachary Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to. Comments: The web site suggestions are not even close to the web site I want to go to. In Firefox 2 the web site suggestions were perfect, where when you started to type in a web site the web site that you wanted came up in the suggestions if you've been to that web site before. But now in Firefox 3 it also goes by the web sites heading which I don't like. For example, if I wanted to go to fa...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

Web App or Web site
A really basic question.  Assumation using VS 2008 pro.  What benefit do I get from making a web application in place of a web site?  I know the web application gives me the design.vb file.  Also gives me a project file and solution file.  But with a web site I can still do the code behind and actually have an easier time getting some of my user controls to funtion.  So what would I gain, besides a new learning curve, by deploying a web application?  the webapplication projects (WAP) has been added to Vs 2005 to simplify the  migration from vs 2003 ...

Web App connecting to database using web.config file
I am using the web.config file to store my database connection string. Everything was working fine when I was running to applicaiton on my local machine. However, when I deployed to the web I keep on getting this error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. at System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at Dev_verI.Basi...

Run Vb.net Web app using Web Harpoon
Does anyone know what Begin Tag and End Tag to use to run a VB.Net web App in Web Harpoon? We are experiencing errors trying to run the app. Error --> The state information is invalid for this page and might be corrupted Thanks,   Erik...

how to get the access to modify web.config when running web app?
hi all, I am working on a web app that modification to the web.config may be needed when user logs on as administrator. when user logs on as an administrator, s/he cold choose to change some settings in the web.config. My question is, how to grant the permission of "modify" web.config to this kind of user? I know that all the user access the resources through "anonymouse access", and they use account "XXX\Iuser_XXX" to access the web.config, but this account (or user group) has no access "modify or write" to web.config. When config.save(0 used, the user must have the write perm...

Deploy web application to web site rather than virtual directory
Hi all, I wonder if any of you might be able to offer some advice on how to achieve the following for me, we have a live server (running Win2K Server) and would like to be able to deploy our web applications to web sites rather than virtual directories. The server is running multiple web sites on the same ip address and the one that we wish to deploy to has front page extensions installed and configured. I suppose what I would like to know is if this is possible in the first place and then if anyone could point in the direction of an article / tutorial on how to achieve this. Cheers...

Creating and using a common web form for multiple web sites
Hi.  I thank you in advance for the responses. I have a common web form ( a search/result database screen) that can be used throughout multiple web sites.  What is the best way to have this web form and codefile consumed by multiple applications?   Thanks   If these are truely different sites then that will mean they will have different processes. You will probably need to put these files into a DLL for distribution to each app. The other option (there may be more but these are the only two I can think of now) would be to have these driven by a webservice and feed t...

Web resources about - Using Multiple Web.Config for mutliple web apps sharing a web site as virtual directories - asp.net.getting-started

List of web directories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Open Directory Project (a.k.a. ODP or dmoz) – The largest directory of the Web. Its open content is mirrored at many sites, including the Google ...

To Complement Its Search Engine, Facebook Launches People, Pages, and Places Directories
Facebook is now closer than ever to becoming the phone book for the internet. The site recently launched a Directory of people , Pages , and ...

Directories - ARN
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday that the late Princess ...

Telstra slashes 800 jobs from directories arm Sensis
TELSTRA is slashing 800 jobs from its struggling directories arm Sensis just one month after the telco giant sold a 70 per cent stake in the ...

Government To Stop Publishing Contact Information In Blue Pages Of Phone Directories
... has decided to stop publishing contact information for all of its departments and agencies in the blue pages section of telephone directories.A ...

File System Programming Guide: About Files and Directories
Explains how to create and manage files and directories.

Fixing directories
Web directories are one of the key points of differentiation between plans on the Exchanges. A single company can offer half a dozen networks ...

PBJ Local Directories
... newsletters, events, print subscription, digital subscription or other special offers. Welcome to Philadelphia Business Journal's local directories. ...

Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch Guides - Directories and guides
The Bradenton Herald is your source for Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch directories and guides.