Users using File>Save as> to save form as .html file no longer saving form data any reason??

I have been building an asp.net 1.1 webpage for some time now and my users have been able to go in pull up a record from the database which is loaded into lable / textbox fields. My users have been able to pick File --> Save As --> HTML and it would save the whole page with the data saved in the forms.

 The users could then open the as standalone and while the form was no longer interactive they were still able to view the data in the fields at the time of the save.

 Now when they save it only saves the form, and none of the lables or data. My users use Internet Explorer as it is an intranet page for the company. Has there been a recent security patch, or IE change which would affect this save ability, and/or is there something that I would have done to cause this from being able to happen, a weird postback / command I did not intend to happen?

Thank you for all your help.

0
keeperofstars

Hello,

In some pages, there may be dopostback method and other lots of view state to check the page out. So just copy the html will have problem when showing. Only the file can be shown correctly if they are html format without javascript, which can do some dynamic things while the static html couldn't.

In short, the page the user saved should have clean html without other method, such as postback.

Please give us feedback no matter whether you get your answer.
Please "mark as answer" if it's useful for you

Sincerely,
Jerome
0
Jerome
3/20/2007 12:22:47 PM

The only post back calls are whent he user press's the find record button which then pulls the data from the database and fills out the label.text property. Its post that function that the user is trying to save.

The only javascript that is on the page is a few lines like this one.

 Dim popupScriptNoRecord As String
popupScriptNoRecord = "<script language='javascript'> window.showModalDialog('norecorderrorpage.aspx', 'dialog', 'dialogwidth:300px;dialogheight:300px;')" & Chr(60) & "/script>"
Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScriptNoRecord", popupScriptNoRecord)

Beyond that there is no other javascript. Is it that javascript coding that is causing the issue?

0
keeperofstars
3/20/2007 9:26:13 PM

Actually, sometimes page including even javascript can be run without errors when saving as html.

So I think it may need connect to the database when the page is opened. But I test some pages with gridview control and there is no error.

Please give us feedback no matter whether you get your answer.
Please "mark as answer" if it's useful for you

Sincerely,
Jerome
0
Jerome
3/22/2007 2:19:33 AM
Check the <input /> fields and see if their value is embedded into them, or if something else is setting them.  If they're not embedded, then they won't be saved without the static HTML page being able to reproduce every step, but I don't know why the initial values wouldn't be embedded.
Picky
0
pickyh3d
3/22/2007 4:26:00 AM

Yeah that is why I am confused, cause the only time the javascript code above is generated is when there is user error and I need to display a pop-up to inform them. The core function is a find record they hit the button it runs the function and sets the field values via VB script and then its finished and static html. I have an email function which takes the static generated page and emails it as an attachment and that still works flawless. So I am just overly confused on this one.

 Also I am not sure how it does it but I can do convert webpage to pdf and it works fine as well. Not sure if pdf uses the html or reads the screen though.

I am also checking with my IT team to see if we had any new security updates recently.

0
keeperofstars
3/22/2007 2:10:23 PM
keeperofstars:

The only post back calls are whent he user press's the find record button which then pulls the data from the database and fills out the label.text property. Its post that function that the user is trying to save.

The only javascript that is on the page is a few lines like this one.

 Dim popupScriptNoRecord As String
popupScriptNoRecord = "<script language='javascript'> window.showModalDialog('norecorderrorpage.aspx', 'dialog', 'dialogwidth:300px;dialogheight:300px;')" & Chr(60) & "/script>"
Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScriptNoRecord", popupScriptNoRecord)

Beyond that there is no other javascript. Is it that javascript coding that is causing the issue?

So change your string like this one:

popupScriptNoRecord = "window.showModalDialog('norecorderrorpage.aspx', 'dialog', 'dialogwidth:300px;dialogheight:300px;')" & Chr(60) "

If there is still any problem, please feel free to ask.

Happy programming.

Please give us feedback no matter whether you get your answer.
Please "mark as answer" if it's useful for you

Sincerely,
Jerome
0
Jerome

How can i prevent to save my js file when user choose menu file>save as my page.
 How can i prevent to save my js file when user choose menu file>save as my page.Help me ,thanks.Believe to yourself! you can't.javascript is a client side technique and will be downloaded to client to execute .every one can view your page and download all of its javascript.the only way is to obfuscate javascript so it will be some hard for beginners to understand it. سیستم آموزش مجازیسیستم مدیریت کتابخانه دیجیتالوستاگزارش ساز And even if you obfuscate, it'll still be usable. User's can look at how the methods are called from the html markup if they really wanted...

Web Form -> Printer -> saved file
I've been out of asp.net for a long time and was only 'just beginning' when I was thrust into a different area.  I'm still an .net noob and need some talk-to-me-like-I'm-a-two-year-old assistance.  I've created a form with only 3 fields, all of which are multiline textboxes.  I want to be able to print the information in the textboxes to a selectable network printer and then save the file to a drive.  Would it be easiest to just post the three fields to a new page thats more or less unformatted and have the the user do a print from the browser?  If...

when saving a file (save page as) please have option of saving file the title and not the actual file name
Name: Dan Kelleher Product: Firefox Summary: when saving a file (save page as) please have option of saving file the title and not the actual file name Comments: I like you browser better than windows explorer but windows has one feature that I wish you had. When saving a file (save page as) please have option of saving file the title and not the actual file name. Many files have number names that have no relationship to the web page. Saving as the page title gives an exact indication of the topic of the page saved. Keep up the good work. see http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/...

Saving data in form as HTML file
Hi folks, Is there a way to save data in form as a new html file? I have a form and a button on an aspx page. When user enters data into the form and hit the button, I want it to save the data to SQL as well as save it as an html file and store it on the same server. I know the way to send it in email, but want to keep it on the server as an html file. Here's my environment: VS.net C# Can anyone please help? Hello, what you can do is create a new text file with th extension of ".html", and then place manually the html, head, body tags and then within the bod...

save file>>file disappears Mac osX/nw6.0
I was just made aware of a troubling problem that is happening w/ the macs. Mac user (osX 10.3.9) reported that he can't copy a file from one nw6.0 server to another. the file just "disappears". I checked the destination, and can't see a file w/ the pc...but "salvage" can see that this user allegedly deleted the file, and it was 0kb. the original file was 1.6mb. This only seems to happen with autocad .dxf files. another user reported similar behavior with another application called "sketchup", which is a 3d drawing program. They can no...

to save form into html file
Hi After that i fill a form , i want to save form into html file with data , is there a way ? Please help me M.Abdi M.Abdi, What kind of html file? Are you wanting to save the data colected in the form to generate an html file or are you just wanting to display the data in a html page. If you want generate a html file you need to use the System.IO namespace and then use TextWriter to create a file. Need more information....??? Regards, Rog. (MCP)Roger Chapman MCP C#.NET...

When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file
Name: Beavis Product: Firefox Summary: When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file Comments: When right clicking on an image file and using "save image as" it does not save the file. If you uninstall firefox and re-instal it, then it will work until you re-boot or shut down. After a startup it again will not save an image as using the "save image as" right click function Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 ...

PB provide very good 'Save As' function to save to all kind of file type. How do I save a very complex (contain many nest datawindows) by using Save As function?
PB provide very good 'Save As' function to save datawindow to all kind of file format. How do I save a very complex datawindow (which contains many nest datawindows) by using Save As function? Angel Thanks The only way to save complex (nested, composite) datawindows and retain *all* the data is to save as PSReport!. This creates a .PSR file and you will need a .PSR viewer (which you can write yourself in about a day). If you're able to use 3rd party products, you can "print" the datawindow to a .PDF file. One of the more popular 3rd-party products for ...

Save data from html file to excel file

Continuation of saving form data to sql table and having a link open up the form with record just saved
Hello,   I am new to .net and posted earlier on this subject which has many parts.  In this post I just want to know when they fill out the form and hit submit to email the superviosr with link that points to form just filled out , do I save the form fields to the sql with table adapter that has querires and does this go in the submit button which is send or do I put this in a class. If i put it in the class it does not know the objects on the form. This may sound stupid but am having a hard time finding the best way to do  this.   Thanks for any help, SB H...

I am using Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Tiger), Firefox Version 3.0.3; Firefox crashes half the time: File > Print > Save as PDF
Name: mike Email: m_salantatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am using Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Tiger), Firefox Version 3.0.3; Firefox crashes half the time: File > Print > Save as PDF Comments: And the resulting PDF is a mess, it cannot be opened, and it gives no indication of damage until you try to open it. In other words, after crashing and restarting firefox several times, one can be left with a number of PDFs that are absolutely CRAP (one for each crash). There is a crash reporter which analyses this, but I am not a techie; parsing complaints seem to be ...

this in vb.net: <% using Html.Form<ProductController>(p=>p.Update(ViewData.Product.ProductID))%>
How do I do this in VB.net:<% using Html.Form<ProductController>(p=>p.Update(ViewData.Produc t.ProductID))%>This is using a lambda for the form tag in c#, I searched everywhere for the correct vb.net syntax? I tried this with no luck:<% Using Html.Form(Of ProductController)(Function(p) p = ViewData.Product.ProductID)%>   VB.NET doesn't support Lambda expressions.   View My Blog Download My URL Rewriter and Reverse ProxyOnly $9.95/month, ASP.NET, 2GB & SQL 2005 alivemedia:Function(p) p = ViewData.Product.ProductID I think the proper syn...

How disable save file popup error message: file "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." ; jor
When I save web pages (complete, not merely html, in order to save images) to my disk, while offline, I get about 10 pop up messages saying it can't load .js & .php files. I have to close each one of those 10 windows individually - a big waste of human time. Firefox 3.6.10 on Ubuntu Linux 10.4 Is there a way to 1) disable those info messages so they don't pop up, or 2) have ff put all the messages into merely one window, so I only have to close one window per web page. Thanks. :) = Popup window error message: {filename path to folder on disk} "could not...

Web resources about - Users using File>Save as> to save form as .html file no longer saving form data any reason?? - asp.net.getting-started