upload data from an excel file directly into db without saving the excel file

Hi,

I want to give users the ability to upload an excel file and then take the data out of the first column in that excel file and insert that into my db.  NB The users will be told to only put data into the first column.

I know how to put the input file on my webform and have them upload the file to the server - but i think there must be a better way as i dont want to keep the excel file - just take the info out of the column and discard the excel file.

Does anyone have any ideas/tutorials on best way to do this.

Thanks...

0
Ireland

I have done similar thing, but you can not just upload and read the excel data without saving into HDD [as far as I know]. What I would suggest is save the uploaded excel file, use MS oledb connection to read data into dataset, and use SQLBulCopy featute to copy the data into ur database. Then you can delete that excel file from HDD

Raghu
(MCSD.NET, MCAD.NET, MCDBA)
[Don't forget to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you ]
0
rmaiya