Truely just getting started, so where should I start?

I've already been working a thread on a good reference/learning book.  but truely I'm just getting started.  I've a background with HTML and some CSS But this is my first foray into any sort of application language.  I've had an interest in PHP and ASP but have only recently started to make the effort to learn.  I'm starting with the videos available here and they are great for learning the development application but I've not the programming background to easily absorb some of the more programming based processes.  I've no college resources where I'm at other than online, and most of the online colleges demand huge tuitions considering it's basically a self study form of education.  I'm interested in what resources are available to someone just starting out.  I've already discovered this site obviously but what about the background I'm feeling that perhaps I should have started with first.  VB? C#? and the like.

 I've an arbitrary time line of 1 yr to gain basic proficiency with ASP as where I work all of our development is in ASP and the contracts that have supported the development run out in that time.  Someone that has gained the skills by then stands to move up.  I've the interest just not the training thus far.  Our usage is GIS and Database queries.

0
RodgerPM

As has been pointed out to me I miss-spoke slightly in naming ASP and not ASP.net.  My usage needs are for ASP.net skills.
0
RodgerPM
1/22/2007 6:35:40 PM

When I first started, the Get Started link has a video series that was very helpful.  I am by no means an ASP.Net expert as before I was a VB windows app programmer, but I found the need to learn ASP.Net.  I also would advise learning AJAX too.  It is sweet!

0
guyinkalamazoo
1/22/2007 8:42:26 PM
RodgerPM:

I've no college resources where I'm at other than online, and most of the online colleges demand huge tuitions considering it's basically a self study form of education.  I'm interested in what resources are available to someone just starting out.

Good Will Hunting:  "You wasted $150000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library."

In many ways that's true.  Start with the online tutorials.  Pick up the books you've been recommended.  Then assign yourself a project and work through that in ASP.NET.  When you have that working, try a different project.  Try projects that are near to what you'd do at work if you had the skills.  Not only do you learn, but you can point to the projects in your interview for your promotion.

And when you're able, get the degree.  It does make a difference, even though the education is rarely worth the money.

Jeff

jeff
1/22/2007 9:11:38 PM

jeff@zina.com:
It does make a difference, even though the education is rarely worth the money.

Well....it's worth it, typically, for the extra money you'll MAKE, but not always :}

0
Curt_C
1/22/2007 9:14:18 PM

Again I'm not being clear enough I think, I'm viewing the videos and such but I'm finding more an more that I'm lacking on the other side of the house.  Most of the ASP.net training tools assume basic knowledge of either VB or C# and I've spent a good part of today looking for resources in that regard.  However I'm wonder just how much and how far I need to carry that effort.  Do I need to know how to write and use VB?  Or do I need only familiarity with syntax.  I'm also starting to find online resources and such but purchasing books and materials is a limited option.  This is my most expensive time of the year and I've little to no budget between now and April and I do not wish to waste that much time if I can find resources otherwise.

The degree is an option down the road but as our support goes away in a year I've not the time to "do it right"

0
RodgerPM
1/22/2007 10:55:07 PM
I have been mentoring a neighborhood teenager in Visual Basic and he started here and has been doing well: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms789097.aspx.  This link are for those who are new to developing.  I hope this helps.
0
guyinkalamazoo
1/23/2007 1:11:20 PM

Hey Roger:

Welcome on board.  I assume by the videos you mean Bob Tabor's videos.  Right now I'm going through the tutorials at:

http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/

and they're the best I've found so far.  What would you like to do? (setting goals strategy).  Are you a VB or C#, or are you planning to do both?

I wouldn't mind using this thread to post back and forth about trying new things, working together.  I'm making small tutorials of the different features that I've found.

My list of "tools" that I've used so far includes:

<asp:Label>
<asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:GridView>
<asp:FormView>

..Text
..Parse

 Things done so far:

  1. Webpage shows grid of contents from database.
  2. Webpages have tools that delete, insert or update entries to the database.
  3. A webpage writes text that uses input typed into textboxes.
  4. A webpage does math operations based on numbers typed into boxes.
  5. Webpage (like guestbook) takes email address and typed message, then sends it to a specified email address and sends a copy to the email typed in.

I want this list to grow so if I'm collaborating with a few other people, that would be great.  Also, another person's questions help me to think about things I hadn't considered before.

***Future Goals***

A webpage takes typed in username and password and searches database--if match, a flag is set that the person is logged in.

A shopping cart page shows a catalog of items (including a jpg) after after typing in information and pressing the send button, another page does calculations, sends an email (invoice), updates a database about the sale, queries inventory and if necessary sends email to the purchasing agent to order more supplies.

-Larry

Larry Dechent - Sampson Coatings

www.wemakebetterpaint.com has 29 examples (C# & VB) to help beginners with ASP.NET.
0
ldechent
1/23/2007 1:44:49 PM

I just found a large "FAQ" style list of helpful posts at:

http://www.syncfusion.com/faq/aspnet/default.aspx

In reading what you recently wrote, I feel in the same boat (albeit C# rather than VB).  I'm finding more difficulty finding answers for what to do on the code behind page.

Larry Dechent - Sampson Coatings

www.wemakebetterpaint.com has 29 examples (C# & VB) to help beginners with ASP.NET.
0
ldechent
1/25/2007 3:19:01 AM

I just found a large "FAQ" style list of helpful posts at:

http://www.syncfusion.com/faq/aspnet/default.aspx

In reading what you recently wrote, I feel in the same boat (albeit C# rather than VB).  I'm finding more difficulty finding answers for what to do on the code behind page.

-Larry

Larry Dechent - Sampson Coatings

www.wemakebetterpaint.com has 29 examples (C# & VB) to help beginners with ASP.NET.
0
ldechent
1/25/2007 3:19:20 AM
RodgerPM:

Again I'm not being clear enough I think, I'm viewing the videos and such but I'm finding more an more that I'm lacking on the other side of the house.  Most of the ASP.net training tools assume basic knowledge of either VB or C# and I've spent a good part of today looking for resources in that regard.  However I'm wonder just how much and how far I need to carry that effort.  Do I need to know how to write and use VB?  Or do I need only familiarity with syntax.

Hi there,

 I can relate to what you're saying as I was in the same position when I started out with ASP.NET, what I found was that, you can do alot of the basic stuff with the drag and drop style of doing things in Visual Studio and mainly using the design view and properties to get things to work.

However when you start working on real world projects where things you want to do aren't covered by the basic functionality built into .NET/Visual Studio. You really need to go behind the scenes and do a lot of things programmatically, that's in my opinion the somewhat harsh truth.

So what I'm trying to say is, that it is really worth your time to learn at least the basic concepts of object orientated programming in either VB or C#, it will save you a lot of frustration and let you do infinitely more with ASP.NET.

<sarcasm>
Don't worry too much about marking my posts as anwers, I'm not just doing it for the points ;)</sarcasm>

http://weblogs.asp.net/olakarlsson/
0
Ola
1/25/2007 3:42:41 AM

I'm going through George Shepherd's ASP.NET FAQ http://www.syncfusion.com/faq/aspnet/default.aspx, and finding it helpful.

-Larry

Larry Dechent - Sampson Coatings

www.wemakebetterpaint.com has 29 examples (C# & VB) to help beginners with ASP.NET.
0
ldechent

How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm?
How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm? I setup the conky under fvwm session for my Opensuse 11 but it won't start automatically. I am wondering how to write some kind of scripts to force it to start automatically and with a delay about 10 seconds after fvwm starts. Thanks a lot. :P -- ggyyree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Maybe this will help you: 'Conky Hardcore! � ssc.sh' (http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/?page_id=503) -- Coffee is like Linux, only cool people use it. Tea is like W...

how to get start with .NET

Just getting started
Name: Noel B Email: kalayaanxpatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Just getting started Comments: All the function menus are the same less the search engines and ads, expecting a much faster web browsing ("I Hope...") Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Dealio Toolbar 3.4 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Just getting started
Is there a tutorial for VWD? I am just getting started. I have it installed but I'm not sure where to even begin. I can write code but I am just trying to understand how to use VWD to begin developing a site. Take a look at the Visual Web Developer for Beginners video series. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question...

Just getting started
Name: James Drummond Email: jamesatboomopdotco.uk Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: Just getting started Comments: Looking good so far. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061204 GranParadiso/3.0a1 ...

Just Getting Started
Another newbie here just getting started with the recommended way to globalize/localize. I've looked at sample documentation and tutorials but I'm still not 100% clear on a couple of things... I want to provide de, fr, es, and it versions of my site. I want to default to en whenever there is a bit of content that isn't provided in the other resource files. So my plan is to have these resource files, split into navigation and content resources: navigation.resources (default english text) navigation.de.resources (german text) ....etc. content.resources (default english) conte...

Just getting started...
Hello, I'm just getting started with openSUSE. I'm about as green as they come. My wife's hard drive died and rather than shell out $200 for another copy of windows, I'm wanting to migrate to Linux. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but I haven't really had the motivation until now. Having said that, I got as far as downloading the .iso file. The part I'm stuck with is checking the MD5sum. How necessary is it really to do that? I downloaded MD5DEEP and ran it but all it does is open a dos command window but never prompts me. Any assista...

Getting Start With .net

just getting started..
hello, my name is nick, i am 14, and i am moving from doing static html sites to doing asp.net sites. i am looking for some good video tutorials on microsoft web developer 2008, i am posting here because most of the ones i find on google are about developer 2005. the topics i am most interested in are a good overview of the tools and some of the functions, and a good database overview, not really particular to anything, seeing as i have used sql databases only a little,  but anything would help and would be much appreciated. also a question, can you create a connection to a database eve...

Just Getting Started
Hello - I downloaded VDW and installed it with no problems at all.  Overall, WVD looks promising and seems like it provides a lot of power. I decided to start with a simple page containing just a table with a background image. Already there's a problem in that the table's background image doesn't display. I tried to set it in the properties window, and when that didn't work I cleared it and tried to set it through Format -> Style. Still no go. Any ideas? Thanks Hoiw exactly table element look like? Can you please post the element markup.Thanks------------------------------------...

How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windows starts?
New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics. I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want it to start each time at boot up. Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section. Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts? Thanks. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070709080209030101050405 Content...

Getting things back in Start Page and things out of Start Page
I know I posted over a year ago about this same question, I can not find my original post though. I know I posted it and I did find the solution and posted the sollution but I can not find it anywhere here again. They really need a better search engine on these forums. Is there any tools out there to help manage the start page? For example. I have projects that are on a web server I access them on the remote server. Well the start page never ever shows any updates for it the date posted as last access is the day I created it, However this is one of my more used projects. This one is so b...

trying to get started and i am getting this error
when i go to http://www.porkchopsplayground.com, i get: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database. Could not find file 'd:\hosting\nmoran26\Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider\DotNetNuke.mdb'. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Nicole Do you have a username and password set on your database? Make sure you follow the steps mentionned in the Readme.txt located in the documentation folder. In any case make sure your credentials for yo...

Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available
Hey localizers! New update on mobile! Beta 1 of en-US release has been posted to Google Play, and a series of betas are planned over the next several weeks. During the upcoming betas additional locales will be added. A multi-locale build and individual locale builds are being built and testing is under way on these releases. You can download and install all available builds from the links below: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/13.0b2-candidates/build2-spin1/android-xul/multi/ http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/14.0b1...

Free .Net and Sql Server Training Videos for Developers just getting started
I figured since this is the Getting started forum I would mention a great .Net training video site with some free videos.http://www.TechnicalVideos.netThanksMike James...

Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available #2
Hey localizers! New update on mobile! Beta 1 of en-US release has been posted to Google Play, and a series of betas are planned over the next several weeks. During the upcoming betas additional locales will be added. A multi-locale build and individual locale builds are being built and testing is under way on these releases. You can download and install all available builds from: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/13.0b2-candidates/build2-spin1/android-xul/multi/ http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/14.0b1-candidates/build3...

getting started in VS2005 C# which book should I get
Hello, I am getting started with VS2005, I have use VS2003 but not very much -(I did 4 small applications in it),  I am wondering which book you would recommend to learn the new features of VS2005, while learning more of C# programing in general There some links to good books in this thread i posted : http://forums.asp.net/thread/1489422.aspx Also these two make good reference material  Professional Visual Studio 2005 (Programmer to Programmer)   Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Unleashed  So far I recommend Wrox's C# 2005  Read the beginning chap...

get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark
Name: DOCTOR Product: Firefox Summary: get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark Comments: Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.22 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Getting Started
Hi All, I have downloaded the Issue Tracker Starter Kit and installed it. I am brand spanking new to any form form of ASP and ASP.Net.... I ahve downloaded and installed the Web Matrix application. This is all great but how do I actually use the Issue Tracker Starter Kit. When I browse to "http://localhost/IssueTracker/Default.aspx". I only get a blank page.... Nothing happens... What I'm I supposed to do? Any help will be appreciated! Ditto. Found this in another forum. Problem was that IIS did not know how to handle aspx pages. Ran the following: C:\WINNT\M...

where should I get started?
hi, all I want to build an extension which help user to extract information in a web page. User may select a td and mark it as author of the article and click on span and mark it as title... After "teach" it, my extension can "learn" some pattern and extract information from similar web page. To achieve this, I need to know how to capture mouse event, like inspect element in firebug. That is I need to know which element is clicked by mouse. Also I need to get postion information such as left top width of element which help me analyze the web page. firebug and d...

Getting started
I am fairly new to DNN. I have downloaded and configured it to run with SS 2000. Now I need some sort of "Tutorial" or "Getting Started" resource. Any recommendations?ThanksI love computers because: MY WISH IS THEIR COMMAND :)<Website><Gadget> Go to dotnetnuke.com and click on the Guided Tour icon on the front page.Charles NurseKeydance Computer ServicesLangley, BC, Canada...

Getting Started
Hi, I've just downloaded the ASP community starter kit. Can someone please quickly explain where the 'start' of it is?? This may sound like a stupid question, however I can't track down where the first page generating code is... The default.aspx page only displays an error message if things have gone pear-shaped. I'm sure that the answer is right in front of my nose... but I can't see it. Thanks in advance. DS Hi DS, The content of CSK is mainly stored in DB and dynamically load on the page, you can take a look at this thread : view post 302859 Colt...

How to get started on....
I really like this game site called WTWrestling.com, and I have been wondering how I could make a game like that, only better. All I have lined up for now are ideas, but when it comes to the code and stuff I have no idea where to start. If someone would be kind enough to show me a site or assist me with this site, I would greatly appreciate and try my best to re-pay you for this, thanks. I don't mean to sound impolite, but if you don't even know where to start this idea is probably going nowhere. First of all you should define your goals instead of just saying "a game like that but be...

Web resources about - Truely just getting started, so where should I start? - asp.net.getting-started

Watch: ‘Full House’ Cast Reunites on ‘Tonight Show’ for Donald Trump Spoof
It was a “Full House” on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” Tuesday night when the late-night show was in Los Angeles for a week-long visit. ...

A guy made Kanye a GoFundMe page to get him out of his supposed debt
While Kanye West may be the most beloved artist of all time, at least by Kanye West himself, he's still human. And humans have bills to pay. ...

Obama says will try to block Islamic State from 'digging in' in Libya
U.S. President Barack Obama said on Tuesday the United States will continue to try to prevent Islamic State from establishing a foothold in Libya, ...

Apple ordered to unlock gunman's phone
Apple is ordered to help FBI investigators access data on the phone of San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook.

Ryan Reynolds Crashes 'Eddie the Eagle' Junket to Interview High Jackman
Ryan Reynolds sits in the interviewer’s chair for a change as he chats with Hugh Jackman in a video posted on Tuesday (February 16). The 39-year-old ...

Man caught in subway doors dragged to his death
KEW GARDENS, Queens — A commuter trying to get onto an F train just as its doors were closing became caught in those doors and was dragged to ...

Boutros Boutros-Ghali dies at 93; former United Nations secretary-general
Los Angeles Times Boutros Boutros-Ghali dies at 93; former United Nations secretary-general Los Angeles Times CAIRO — Boutros Boutros-Ghali, ...

Oil Output Freeze Is an Agreement With a Catch
MOSCOW — As prices have dropped ever lower, smaller oil producing nations on precarious financial ground have regularly pushed their bigger brethren ...

China deploys missiles to disputed island in South China Sea
USA TODAY China deploys missiles to disputed island in South China Sea USA TODAY China has deployed missiles to a disputed island in the South ...

Samsung reveals high-end, low-power chips for midrange phones
Samsung has announced that it's bringing its 14nm Exynos chips to cheaper smartphones. These are smaller chips that are both more efficient and ...