To cache or not to cache ?

I am really confused here. What I have are two forms one is where I get metadata for a document and next page where the user uploads the file for that document.

What I want is a link from upload page back to the metadata page with the fields still filled in (cached maybe ?) and a link that takes back to that page without cache...In other words..I want two links on upload page one that take users back to the metadata page with fields filled in from previous request and the other link which takes to metadata form with empty fields. I am not sure how to accomplish this.
I tried using cache but the MAJOR problem are the three dropdowns on my metadata page which the last two of which are filled based on the value of first...i.e through postback. when i use the
<%@ OutputCache duration="60" varybyparam="City" %>
it does not fill in the last two dropdowns since page is already in cache....
ANYONE PLEASE HELP !
0
abbasatpsu

I don't think caching is the way to go there. You're looking for a way to persist your fields, not cache them.

One easy way to do this would be to do all of this on the same page and show/hide panels. This way, you can let the controls handle their own persistence.
Or if you have to use different pages, you can probably persist a few things in the Session.
Does this help?
Bertrand
----
bleroy
10/8/2003 12:57:52 AM
Thanks for replying. Session sound like probably a good idea because I want two separate pages. But I am not sure how to persist the dynamic drop down menus in session. As I mentioned there are three dropdowns where first is loaded when the page is loaded and the next two are loaded based on the value of first. Session might persist fields but what abt the dropdowns? Secondly, how would I let page know whether it should fill fields with values since the user wants to or show an empty form ?

Thanks.
0
abbasatpsu
10/8/2003 3:01:33 PM
Don't persist the dropdown, persist its selected index.
Bertrand
----
bleroy

Caching, Caching,Caching,Caching,Caching Why nobody know???
I have posted this problem quite a few times but never got a decent answer and I have still not found a solution. Every time I have a gridview when the page is refreshed the data in the gridview does not refresh. You might say well and GridView.DataBind() to the pageload method but I think there is a performance problem if you bind your gridviews every time. For example I have a dropdownlist, a gridview and button and the gridview is supposed to refresh depending on the value in the dropdown when the button is pushed. if you click on the button the gridview data does not change unless y...

To cache or not to cache
It's a well known fact that it's a good practice to cache results of SQL queries. But here as everywhere we should limit ourselfs and not to cache everything, shouldn't we? ) For example, you know that in facebook you can enter information about yourself - first name, last name, all your schools, jobs and so on. This data changes very rarely. So, as books say this data is perfect to be cached. But, you see, there can be millions of users with there profiles in our cache. So.. to cache or not to cache? )  it is a good practice to use limited size content and low edit freque...

to cache or not to cache?
i have a toolbar at the top of all my web pages and I am not sure whether it is worth caching or not. this toolbar is in fact a search facility consisting of 4 dropdownlists. 3 of the DDL's are static and 1 is databound. i would like to make the whole toolbar into a user control and cache it. Q1. If one of the DDL's selected item has changed the user control must know not to load from the cache. is it possible to include this kind of logic to a cached user control? Q2. Is it worth caching my toolbar? Or should I just consider caching the 1 databound DDl instead? any help much apprec...

To Cache or Not To Cache?
Hello, I'd like the opinion of the community on this question. We've just completed a migration from Exchange 5.5 to GroupWise 7. Migration went well. Right now, everyone is using WebAccess but I am rolling out the GroupWise Windows client (with latest FTFs) along with an updated XP SP2 workstation image shortly, to the office people. They had been using Outlook with Exchange, no caching. We have 6 locations with office people. About 25 are local to the PO server. The other locations, ranging from 25 to 8 per location are connected to the PO server via a T-1 WAN lin...

Not getting any cache hits with database cache
Hello, I am hoping someone can give me some tips on getting our databases to use caches more efficiently. We use a SQL Anywhere database server on a Win NT server with 64 megs RAM. We assigned 32 megs for the server cache. The databases are being accessed by an application we have developed using PowerBuilder 5.002. When I have used the Performance Monitor within Sybase Central, it indicates that there are Cache Reads and Cache Writes, but no Cache Hits. We are in the midst of upgrading our SQL Anywhere from 5.501 to 5.502, but I haven't read anything that would indicate a cha...

.Net Caching Ughhhh (Micro-caching)
I'm designing an application where data is continuous and becomes dirty in a matter of seconds. The load is also high and therefore, to avoid straining the database server, i cache all data for a couple of seconds. That's fine. However, some data are HIGHLY VOLATILE and requires the most latest data...for these types of data, I use 1 second caching. I done benchmarks of 1-6 second caching and the benefits on a high load server is enormous. However there is a problem with this micro caching technique.....the problem is...some of the objects get destroyed as soon as it is pulled out. ...

Getting started with caching
I'm attempting to add some caching to my site. I've never done this before, and I'm confused by the books I've read and all the options that are available. Here's what I've done so far.I have run aspnet_regsql.exe with the -ed option to enable the database for SQL cache dependency, and I've run it with the -et option on several tables in this database.I've added the following lines to my web.config file:        <caching>            <sqlCacheDependency enabled="true"&g...

Caching Problem in IIS
i wrote a test code to check how caching works. everything works fine when running the page using visual web developer. but once i copy the page into IIS running on win 2003 server the caching works sometimes ..sometime the caching is not working and  the data directly comes from the database. the caching is done for 40 seconds, i check whether the data comes from the database or cache by writing a line using response.write in my code. my code  Dim griddata, cachestart         griddata = Cache("grid")  If Cache("grid...

page cached that should not be cached
Hi, Thanks for the support. I'm using ASP.NET 2 but my problem is that I have an asp.net web page called: extractimage.aspx that receive a query string parameter and returns an image, so I call it by: ~/inicio/extractimage.aspx?usu=25 I have a linkbutton in a grid with this link, so I refresh the Grid and the correct image should be shown. But when I change the image in other page and I try to refresh the Grid, the previous image is shown, not the new one. It seems the extractimage.aspx web page is cached and I do not want that, I would like the current image is always displayed, no...

how to clear out data cache, statement cache and procedure cache?
Hi there, does anyone know is there some commands to to clear out data cache, statement cache and procedure cache? (without recycle database server) And for both ASE 12.5 and ASE 15? we need to run some performance comparsion in ASE 12.5 and ASE 15. I'd make sure the data cache are similar and procedure/statement cache is clear (so cached query plan is not used) for each case. This all depends on the (very) specific version of ASE data cache: ------------ as of 15.0.3 - dbcc cachedataremove(dbid | dbname, objid | objname, partitionid | partitionname, indid | indexname)...

To Cache or Not to Cache...That is the Question
During the design phase of developing an ASP.NET application it is vital developers utilize the ASP.NET Cache feature.  A good “rule of thumb” when deciding when to use the caching feature is when data, pages, parts of pages are used more than once.  More specifically any data that is general in nature and does not change depending on specific user requests is a perfect scenario for caching.  This saves on time and overhead for collecting and creating reusable objects.  However, it is possible to use too much caching.  For example, on a 32-bit application process you...

Cache
Hello,could anyone point me to any resource/link/best practice explaining the use of the Sql Server cache used along with the Output cache?Thanks.VB .Net Coder - Apologize my C# nescienceBest Regards. http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/caching/SQLInvalidation.aspx-BrockDevelopMentorhttp://staff.develop.com/ballen Hi Brock, If I use Output and SqlServer Cache, what happens? I mean, let's say I set a duration of 60 seconds for the Output Cache, and also I set the Sql Server Cache for a specific table in the same page. If nothing happens to the data of the aforementioned table,...

Web resources about - To cache or not to cache ? - asp.net.getting-started

Grande Cache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 119.12250°W  / 53.87472; -119.12250 Coordinates : 53°52′29″N 119°07′21″W  /  53.87472°N 119.12250°W  / 53.87472; -119.12250 Grande Cache ...

Monitoring cache with Claspin - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Monitoring cache with Claspin geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text hier lesen.

Caché (@CacheStyle) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Caché @ CacheStyle Official ...

Digitas Cache for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Digitas Cache on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Pizza Hut from W Lawton Cache Location - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Easily one of the worst deliveries I've ever seen... On top of the mess of a delivery, the pizza itself was undercooked.

Turning Caches into Distributed Systems with mcrouter - Data@Scale - YouTube
Ryan McElroy, software engineer at Facebook, introduces "mcrouter," software that the company has developed for turning standalone caches into ...

Rocket launchers, grenades among cache of weapons found in Gippsland
Rocket launchers and hand grenades reportedly among 140 weapons found by police at a property in Gippsland.

Gun licence revoked after police find massive cache of weapons on Sunshine Coast
A Sunshine Coast man who had a cache of unregistered weapons will not get his gun licence back, after a tribunal ruled his &quot;Christian values&quot; ...

More on Apple’s A9X SoC: 147mm2@TSMC, 12 GPU Cores, No L3 Cache
... 1GB LPDDR2 Memory Bus Width 128-bit 64-bit 128-bit 128-bit Memory Bandwidth 51.2GB/sec 25.6GB/sec 25.6GB/sec 17.1GB/sec L2 Cache ...

How to clear app data and cache in Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Have you updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow and have been left wondering how to clear app data and clear app cache? We've got you covered!