System.Net.Sockets.SocketException when trying to use xml feed

Hi folks, strange error I'm getting here, I'm trying to connect to the ECB s currency exchange feed which is located at

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml - it looks nice and simple to use.

 However my code is throwing a socket exception when I run it from the server and a system.net.webexception - {"The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required."} when I run it from within visual studio. I had a sample script which took feeds from the BBC site on my home computer which worked fine but it does not work from my office computer so seems like something is up with the server, no?

I've never come across this type of error before myself so is there anyone that can point in the right direction on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
Dave!
0
dcallan

It seems that the proxy server of your office requires authentication. If you're using a WebClient class to connect to that xml file, make sure you have set the Proxy property. Also, set the Credential property for the Proxy and it will be working fine.

Sincerely,
Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Mark as Not Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Kevin

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
I'm getting this error when hitting a webservice thousands of times for a mass upload. I've researched on the web and added the suggested code but am still getting the error: protected override WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri) { System.Net.HttpWebRequest webRequest = (System.Net.HttpWebRequest)base.GetWebRequest(uri); webRequest.KeepAlive = false; return webRequest; }  Are you receiving it on the client, or on the service?John Saunders | MVP – Connected System Developer...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException with MySQL Connector.NET
Hi. I already tried many things and spent already 2 days without any success. Please help or I'll hang myself.I am using MySql.Data.dll  ver. 5.2.5.0 (runtime v2.0.50727) from my project (library). It works great if i use it from WindowsApplication but once i use it same way in WebApplication, it keeps throwing: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referencedException Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced .. AsyncResult ias = socket.BeginConnect(endPoint, null, null);.. (or w...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException when using the HttpWebRequest.GetResponse
Hello i keep gettign this error when i use this code Error: An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException' occurred in system.dll Additional information: An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full Code: Dim HTTP_request As HttpWebRequest Dim HTTP_response As HttpWebResponse HTTP_request = HttpWebRequest.Create("http://www.google.com/images/logo.gif") HTTP_response = HTTP_request.GetResponse the erorr happens every time on the "HTTP_response = HTTP_...

Getting System.Net.WebPermission error when using any module with feed
I am a getting System.Net.WebPermission error when using any module with feed.  I think it has to do with a setting in my web.config and/or machine.config.  What is an easy way for me to change my security settings to allow DNN 3.1 modules to connect with feeds?  The exact error I get is below:DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Request for the permission of type System.Net.WebPermission, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed. ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type System.Net.W...

Exception while calling .NET web service | System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Hi,   We have written a .NET web service which retrieves an xml file from the database. This web service is SSL secured and requires client certificates for connection.   Problem: The web service is throwing an exception while retrieving large files. It works fine when the file size is around 1 MB, but fails with a file size of around 65 MB with the following exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 38455668). ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: ...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
I've been getting this very wierd exception on the secure checkout page of a shopping cart app recently. There is no code in the page that directly uses the system.net namespace, and the page has been pretty much error-free for a year. I guess it could be an indication that something might be wrong with IIS. Here's the stack trace: at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
Hi, I am getting the following error. Does anyone know about this? It is working fine on some PC and giving error on others? Server Error in '/MyWebApps' Application. The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [SocketException (0x2afc): The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for] System.Net.Dns.GetHostByAddress(IPAddress address) +186 System.Net.Dns.GetHostByAddress(String address) +54 MyWebApps.Global.Session_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +80 System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState() +525 System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
Hi,   I am getting System.Net.Sockets.SocketException  exception on my server which is a console based application and i am using socket programming in it.i am getting this error only after 12.30am and  the server gets freezed, i am not able to trace the cause of the error as it occurs only at particular time and in particular condition, canm anyone please help me in finding the cause of this error and solution of it.Please Reply soon.   Thanks in advance Divya     These forums are for ASP.NET (web sites / web applications), not windows applica...

useing System.Net.Mail in Net 2.0
Useing C# and VWD enviroment with the Test server in VWD. Code for Mail does not work in 2.0, get an error like this:  System.Net.Mail.SmtpException was unhandled by user code Message="Failure sending mail." Source="System" line 42 which is the smtp.Send(email) line. Code for the old way in 1.1 works just fine, here is what I use (email is bogus for this) The commented line are for Net 1.1 which works. Any ideas what I need to do? Thanks using System.Net.Mail;//using System.Web.Mail; protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)  {  ERMessag...

HTTP XML POST .NET

I have .net framework1.1 and 2.0 on our server running win2K. i have existing applications that uses asp.net 1.1, i also have a new app that use ASP.net 2.0.  how can i set my new .NET 2.0 app to point to asp.net 2.0 without messing up my existing .NET 1.1 apps? To specify the ASP .Net version fro a web application, do the followingIn IIS Manager select the web application -> Properties -> ASP.Net TabSelect  ASP.Net version you want to use for the applicationRegards,PrashantDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. But I am running Win2K which has IIS 5.0.  I do not see any default websites/virtual directories/ or any type of ASP.NET tab.  I just dont' know how to get my program to run using .NET framework 2.0. On win2k it is a mess sometimes to get this working, well first install .net framework 2.0 on the server, then see if iis mappings are correct. publish the website and then right click properties->select 2.0. from the dropdown.  Please Mark Post that helped you as answer, also include a summary of what solved the problem as it helps others in similar situations...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException #2
 I'd like to try to consume RSS feed and I get error: http://www.macedonium.org/Default2.aspx?jazik=2I'm using this code: http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2006/10/31/912335.aspxIn my web.config I have: <system.net>    <defaultProxy>      <proxy bypassonlocal="true" usesystemdefault="false" />    </defaultProxy>  </system.net>and I still get the error... Hero of the day...

XMLDocument and System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
Hi All, I am trying to load XML file and I got the following error. It is working fine on test server but not on LIVE Web Server. Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respondSource Error: Line 53: Line 54: XmlDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); Line 55: xmlDoc.Load(xmlData); Line 56: Line 57: XmlNodeList xmlNodeListRoot = xmlDoc.GetElementsByTagName("RootMenu&quo...

Newbie Question
I have a new project which has just started. One of the requirements is to generate XML files. Do I have to create schema files? Does anyone have a tutorial or sample code to help me get started. I have some background using XML, but not in .NET. Thx Mark How to create a new xml file with XmlDocument? More examples hereSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks, this is very helpful. What do I need to do extra to setup the schema for this xml file? Is the schema really necessary as well? Thx Mark You dont need to define any sc...

get mail using System.Net.Mail
How can i get Email usign System.Net.Mail ?? Hello poloxy  ,the System.Net.Mail used only for sending emails and not to receive them.Read the full documentation at  MSDN Library http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.mail.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you SO how can I receive mail ? Try one of these pop3 librarieshttp://www.codeproject.com/info/search.aspx?artkw=pop3  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you HI,   if you want to send email by using System....

ok I used a cool utility at http://www.kamalpatel.net/ConvertCSharp2VB.aspx to convert some c#.net to vb.net and it spit out a bunch of code which almost works but I am getting a syntax error on this line Imports (StreamReader sr = Shadows Function)() As StreamReader(objResponse.GetResponseStream()) I tried it that way and also like Imports (StreamReader sr = Shadows Function)() As StreamReader(objResponse.GetResponseStream()) but either way gave the same error Compiler Error Message: BC30035: Syntax error. Source Error: Line 26: Line 27: Dim objResponse As HttpWebResponse = CType(objRequest.GetResponse(), HttpWebResponse) Line 28: Imports (sr = Line 29: Shadows Function)() As StreamReader(objResponse.GetResponseStream()) Line 30: result = sr.ReadToEnd() here is the orginal post with all of the source in both c#.net and vb.net http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=546706 I just ask you, what for? why do you need to convert a c# into vb if you can use both in a .net application?Best Regards, Thomas Crown. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. "If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it." That was changed from a "using (...) { }" statement. What was the C# code? That was defini...

All-- Here is a sample that is "off the beaten path", (at least for me). Is it possible, in an ASP.NET application, using the code-behind page building technique, to have both pages written in VB.NET and pages written C#.NET?At http://www.WebLogicArts.com/DemoList.aspx there is a sample that shows that, (contrary to popular belief), it IS possible to mix ASP.NET pages built with C#.NET with ASP.NET pages built with VB.NET in the same VS.NET 2003 project. Note that this is just a "fun" sample to see if it can be done and I do not recommend this practice as a "standard" way of developing. The trick is to use the "Src" attribute of the @Page directive. Check out the link if you are inclined. You are welcome to download the code if you are interested further, found at the same link. (Note that the reason that I looked for a way to do this is because I wanted to have the option to include some VB.NET-based demos at my site. Since my site is a C#.NET ASP.NET, I was told that there was no want to do this. Therefore, I looked for a workaround and just happened to find one.) Enjoy (and then get back to work!) http://www.NetBrainer.com you are right !!!mixing languages could cause unknow and uncontrolled problems !!! if a developer has to mix ....the practical way is to create a new project with different language and what will be absolutely fine !!!thanks mkamoski for raising this issue !!Fadil Alnassar www.fadilalnassar.com | FREE Nodil Tab Controlhttp://www.mefranchisi...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException+webservice+Sourabh Das
Hi,I have placed a webservice in the webserver. When I access it from a webpage, default.aspx on a click of a button i get the following error:No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.  Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused itSource Error: Line 91:    ...

odd behavior using system.net.sockets or tcplisteners
ok let me try and explain what i am trying to do here, and hopefully someone can help me with this i am stumped here. i have got some simple code for a date/time server using the tcplistener. my approach on this, is i am using VWD2005 express. i am putting the code in a class, and is being loaded using the pageload event. now, on the client side i have made a client in VC#2005 express, and has been tested and works fine. i deploy the server code from VWD into my local IIS. i have both the server code and the client code to communicate at the specified ports. now the strange part, when i...

Cross-Platform .NET Development: Using Mono, Portable.NET, and Microsoft .NET
Interesting book I came across: Cross-Platform .NET Development $49.99 doesn't hurt too much either :) NOTE: Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. It's being released on September 30th, 2004 - one to keep an eye on...www.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshotgamer.com - Gaming News and Reviews How about this book from Oreilly? Mono: A Developer's Notebook http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/monoadn/...

Trying to use XML to act as a database -> ADO.NET?
Hi,I'm trying to find a solution to store some data get from a temporary queue and save it somewhere so that users can get access to it next time when they go into the webpage.Then I've found out something about XML which can act as a database.  I've seen some articles about how it is possible by using ADO which allows to even "query" the XML similar to database way.But I dont know how it is possible and whether it's the solution I'm trying to look for. And, if it really is, any configuration involved? files I need to put in as reference? how do I start from coding? any g...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

iFolder 3.8.4.1
Hey! We have about 100 active iFolder Accounts, 5 of them have the same fault. When we install the client, it synchronizes and works for about 3 days. But then, while iFolder synchronizes, the following fault appears and it crashes: http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/bemeixne/ifolder.jpg The Details shows this: http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/bemeixne/debug.jpg After reinstallation the client will work for about 3 days again. Update of .Net will also not help. I hope, you can help me :), Bernhard -- bemeixne ------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - System.Net.Sockets.SocketException when trying to use xml feed - asp.net.getting-started

Singularity RDK - Source Code
Experimental verified OS

magento配置指南
we make your business better PLANS & PRICING JOIN SIGN IN RESOURCES ALL CONTENT DOCUMENTS CERTIFIED DOCSTOC CUSTOMIZABLE PACKAGES USER GENERATED ...

Issues - gdata-java-client - Google Data Java Client Library - Google Project Hosting
My favorites ▼ - Sign in gdata-java-client Google Data Java Client Library Project Home Downloads Wiki Issues Source New issue Search Search ...

MINECON Videos!
Some of the incredible MINECON panels didn’t make it on the livestream due to time constraints. As of right now, they have all been uploaded ...

Java™ SE Development Kit 7 Update 40 Bug Fixes
Java™ SE Development Kit 7 Update 40 Bug Fixes

Syncplicity Installation fails with error code 0x80004005 – Support Home
Symptoms : 1. The Syncplicity installation never starts. 2. The Syncplicity.log file should have the matching error code: Unregistered, Syncplicity ...

Understanding and resolving app crashes and failures in Windows Store apps, part 2: JSON and tiles
... Exception type: System.Net.WebException Message: Unable to connect to the remote server InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException, ...

The Mono-list 2003-October Archive by Subject
2003-October Archives by Subject Messages sorted by: [ thread ] [ author ] [ date ] More info on this list... Starting: Wed Oct 1 00:04:11 2003 ...

jdk6/jdk6/jdk: log
log graph tags bookmarks branches changeset browse bz2 zip gz help OpenJDK / jdk6 / jdk6 / jdk log Find changesets by keywords (author, files, ...

RSA private key import from PEM format in C#
First of all, I want to apologies for not writing. From one hand, this is not a good think for me to disappeared from development community horizons, ...