Storing data in a Custom table within ASPNETDB.mdf vs. storing information about a user in a profile

Don't know if the following question makes sense, nevertheless here goes...

Which is better, Storing information about a user in a custom table within ASPNETDB.mdf or storing it in a profile to be placed on a user profile page. Should both be implemented or will one suffice?
0
SuperRom

SuperRom:
Should both be implemented or will one suffice?

One will be enough.

In general , if you want to display those profile properties using external reporting tool like crystal reports or reporting services , you will not be able to do that.This is because the profile properties will be stored as a serialzed xml format and will be stored in a one column.And so using the profile to store the user extra informations will be restricted to the PRofile API's.

Using a custom table will be more flexible and better in my opinion , but it requires more effort and work.

See if this thread can help:

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/070506-1.aspx

Regards,

Anas Ghanem.

Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- Thanks!

0
anas

Custom profile data to XML to stored procedure for table based profile data.
Afternoon,I'm developing an extended profile provider for my web app. My app has user data scattered across various tables, so the classic profile approach just doesn't cut it. I've opted for the stored procedure based provider to let me aggregate several sprocs in a single update or read sproc. Before I go on any further I wanted to know if I can map the XML properties of the web.config or Profile object as input parameters to my update/read sproc?I know SQL server 2005 supports XML as input for sprocs. Is this a wise approach or is there an easier approach?Cheers,...

Custom Profile Provider for User information- SQL Table store
Hi,Can anyone help me, i am new to ASP.NET 2.0? I designing a website which allows people to register a online account with ASP.NET membership and roles. It is all ok, but i also want to gather more user information (FirstName, LastName, DoB, Gender and a Newsletter check box) so this can be stored in a custom SQL 2005 express database table. I want to store this additional data into a custom SQL 2005 datable table whilst untilising the ASP.NET membership provider. I have read the "SqlTableProfileProvider" sample that is on this website at the following address: http://www.asp...

Profiles vs. Custom Data Store -- Which to Use?
Hi.  I am trying to build an app with asp.net 2.0 and ssee and I'm not sure the best way about it and was hoping for some advice.Here's the scenario.  The goal is to have a database that gathers contact info from two deparment web site contacts form.  The admins for each department can then login to a generic login.aspx and be redirected to a admin.aspx page where they would be able to view the data for the appropriate department only. Setup:There is a contact database called contacts.mdf and the membership database aspnetdb.mdf.In the contacts databae I have contact info...

How to store user profile information during create user?
Hi, I'm just try to store user information during create user via CreateUserWizard that add Textbox, DropDownList and RadoButtonList. How to store data form control to UserProfile (via CreateUserWizard) ? Note. I set DisableCreatedUser = true because want to proof user befor activate. (Begining ASP.net V2.0, VB, VWD 2005 Express Edition) Here is some example c# code that I have in the CreateUser event of the CreateWizard command.  I also do some stuff after this but I think this is the code you are interested in.     protected void CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(objec...

how to store custom user defined data in the data base.
Thanks for any help in advance.... I'm building and application that allows users to save details of a job that was undertaken. E.g. time, jobtype, duration, customer etc etc. The job allows for businesses to manage the concept of a very generic job throuhg a webform. I'm now looking at allowing the configuration pages of the application to allow for additional attributes to be recorded these could be anything dependant on the company using the app. Once there in database dispalying custom reports and forms should be ok....but.... I'm using SQL Server....any idea of a proven way of ...

Desciding which data should be stored in profile and what should be stored elsewhere
I'm reasonably new to ASP.NET and I'm starting to find my way around the profile features.  However, I'm having some trouble understanding how much data should go in the session and how much I should persist elsewhere.For example, in my test application, I have some number of items, each of which has an owner (the relationship between items and owners is many-to-one).  All of the owners happen to be users of my webapp as well.  I would like to tie all of these pieces together so that when an owner logs in, I can show them only the items they own.This raises an architecture que...

table to store user information
Hi, Bugzilla Users Happy new year! I have a question on bugzilla database: which table saves the user information, which I can use to get userid from login name. Thanks, YE LIU Ye Liu, 2009/1/5 dbtouch <dbtouch@gmail.com>: > I have a question on bugzilla database: which table saves the user > information, which I can use to get userid from login name. you're looking for the table named "profiles". See http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/webtools/bugzilla/Bugzilla/DB/Schema.pm for all table definitions. Kind regards Marc profil...

what table is user data stored in?
I see the "Users" table now stores just the barebones (Name, username, email, etc).  Where can I find the other info submitted at registration (address, state, zip, etc)?Thanks,David That info has been moved into the aspnet tables.  Look for aspnet_profile, aspnet_membership, etc. Thanks, I see it now.  I guess cramming all those fields together in one cell is part of the aspnet membership compliance.  I'm just now getting around to really exploring the 3.x database structure.  Is there a good resource for understanding the database setup? Continuing on this to...

Storing Data in the Database vs. Storing it in the File System
Guys, I have a requirement to save the files (irrespective of the file type) to some where safe. I am looking for your suggestions and advice regarding whichever is best way to go either file system or Database? My site is public facing and will be used heavily (hopefully!!). Initially I will be hosting my site in a shared environment (to cut the costs) so I am not sure about the total storage capacity given by the hosting providers. But somehow I am inclined to store these files in a Database. But I don't know my SQL server storage capacity as well. D...

Store and get cookies information by user??
In my report , i have 2 report type: Weekly and Monthly.  if the user login next time, i want to disply the selection which lastly selectly by the user accordingly. If the user1 select Weekly then next time i want to display weekly option.  if the user5 select monthly then next time i want to display monthly for that userI am new to cookies.  please give me better/faster solution.  Thanks in advacne Here is an example of adding a cookie in C#string ReportType = "Weekly";HttpCookie Cookie = new HttpCookie("ReportType", ReportType );Cookie.Expires = DateTime.Now.AddY...

How to store personalization information in custome tables.
In my application's requirment  , admin can create multiple groups and add multiple users in group. Admin can customize webpart for groups. If user hasnt costomize page then he can see group level page that is previously customized by admin for that particular group.So i want to customize pages at group level so each group can have different pages and all the personalized information should be stored in user defined tables not in default database - ASPNETDB.MDF.         Hi... Even i am creating same application and doing R&D on the same.If u...

Creating users and Storing Customer Data
Hello, I'm currently building an ecommerce web application and I've got to the stage where I'm starting to consider how customer's details will be stored. Before the user checks out I'd like to determine whether they're a first customer or not by providing an option for them to either sign in using their email address (acting as a user name) and password, or for them to create a new account. If a user is a first time customer I'd like to provide a form which they can enter their details into, and I'd like these details to be stored in a table called "Customers", which I'd like to have a&n...

Storing Rows vs Profile data.
Here's a good question for performance gurus. A website I'm going to create is going to have multiple "Game Servers". Each user, if they have subscribed to the Game Server, will have a set of maybe 20 or 30 Integer and Decimal values. Now, what would be better: a) I have a separate row for each User in each Game Server with 20 or 30 columns. b) Create a GameInfo class with properties for these items, store them in a Generic List<>, and then store that as a property in Profile. Which takes up less physical space, and which has faster access. I realize that with SQL...

How to store data from profile to database table...?
Hello: Thank you for your guidance and for the article. It helped me a lot and as suggested, I have stored all the data that I have collected in a profile. Now I want to store the same from th profile to the database table that I have created already. How do I proceed? Please guide me. Thank you & Best regards,Lax...

Web resources about - Storing data in a Custom table within ASPNETDB.mdf vs. storing information about a user in a profile - asp.net.getting-started

Information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information (shortened as info or info. ) is that which informs, i.e. an answer to a question, as well as that from which knowledge and data ...

InformationWeek – Latest Information Technology (IT) news & IT articles - Technology news - IT magazine ...
InformationWeek provides latest Information technology (IT) news online & articles and publishes latest tech news & IT magazine for Indian IT ...

ACT anti-domestic violence boss calls for better information sharing across sector
... ACT government will seek to strike a&nbsp;balance between&nbsp;victim safety&nbsp;with privacy concerns as it eyes better ways of sharing information ...

Queensland weather: Latest storm warning information
PARTS of Queensland were hit by severe storms, with golf-ball-size hail in the Granite Belt Monday afternoon.

Magnetic protein may provide animals with navigation information
What do monarch butterflies, salmon, lobsters, bats, mole rats, and marine nudibranch mollusks have in common? As I'm sure you already knew, ...

Apple’s secrets: How Apple’s legal fight with Samsung revealed a gold mine of top-secret information
Following a contentious patent battle that raged on for nearly five years, Samsung last week finally agreed to pay Apple $548 million in damages ...

Security researchers have discovered more information on how the Sony hackers managed to stay undetected ...
More details of the hack that wiped out Sony Pictures' computer systems and resulted in thousands of internal emails and documents leaking online ...

White House offers states more information on refugees
Governors are still clashing with the administration over whether to admit Syrian refugees into their states

VTech hack exposes personal information of millions of customers
Children's technology and educational toy maker VTech announced that it was recently a victim of a data breach that exposed sensitive information ...

VTech hack exposes personal information of 5 million adults and children
Another data breach? Won't someone please think of the children?