Session variables vs. Session States

What is the difference and in what situations are they used.

Thanks,
Mattypee
0
mattypee

A session state (the state of your session) holds your session variables.  If your session state expires (due to inactivity) then you lose your session variables...and any other info stored for that session.

If you need to store USER specific information within a web app, then session variables are one(of several) ways to do it.
MajorCats
MajorCats
0
Majorcats
2/17/2005 7:56:53 PM
Is there any code that you could show that would give an example?

Thanks,
Mattypee
0
mattypee
2/17/2005 8:00:21 PM
example of what? reading and writing session variables?

'Set a session variable called 'A' to a value of 1
Session("A") = 1

'Read a session variable called 'A' and set variable intVar to the value...
Dim intVar as integer
intVar = Session("A")

MajorCats
MajorCats
0
Majorcats

Session Variables Vs Session Class
Hi All, I am rewriting a classic ASP application in .NET using ASP.net and C#. We used Session Variables to handle storing the current user information throughout the original application.  I was wondering what the benefits would be of using a Session Class over Session Variables, and also how I could implement this? Many thanks in advance for any information you can give me. Regards, Aj Check this out. I think Session class always beneficial since you have more control over accessing and setting your session variables and exception handling. Check the link for its sample implem...

session vs caching vs control state vs view state
difference between session and cache and view state and control state which is used at what time and for what purpose exactly Hi,this article explains it the best: ASP.NET: Nine Options for Managing Persistent User State in Your ASP.NET Application.Grz, Kris.  Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

Variables VS Session + Multiple Session Timeouts
I've read that "http is stateless" which is one reason people use Session variables instead of code behind variables. I'm having problems with session variables vanishing after about 10mins. I've checked "App Options" under "Application Configuration" under the properties of the Virtual Directory (IIS 5 on Win2000).  It sais "Session Timeout = 59mins"  web.config <authentication mode="Forms"> <forms timeout="60" /> </authentication>  <sessionState timeout="58" />   Im using master pages, and have declared public variable and session variab...

Session State Variables across multi sessions
I am having an issue where I save my DataTable into a Session Variable:   Session["dtDMFile"] = dtDMFile; Different users can use the web form that I created. Once the data is loaded,I send the DataTable to the session variable. My problem is that when I go to reload the data in the table, it is taking the data from the last user who stored the DataTable instead of from the particular user on their browser. For instance, User 1 (machine 1) loads data with field contents of: field1  field2  field3 User 2 (machine 2), then loads data with field contents of: f...

Good news for those of you who get "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server." error..
Dear all,Due to the known problem of session variables getting lost if using InProc-server during frequent changes in development, I had to choose between SQL and ASP.NET State server, so I opted for the second. Initially, all fine, but after using it for a few days, I started to get this error: Server Error in '/cv2' Application.Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accep...

getting a new session id and losing session variables
prb: I have two pages in my app - one on redirect and the other as a new window - that get a new session id from every other page in the app (they both get the same session id) and obviously the session state variables are lost and, therefore, the pages do not look like they should.  All pages are within the same domain and virtual directory. 1. a redirect; session variables are lost; session id is different from the previous page; if you click the BACK button you return to the previous page and the session id is the same as before and the session variables are as they should be2. ...

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increas
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has  web farm scenario so for state management  I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit."   &...

"The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increa
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has web farm scenario so for state management I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit." I am not getting why this error is coming ..Though I already h...

When does Session.Abandon remove session variables (.NET 1.1)?
I have a logout function which includes session.abandon. This also (correctly) removes any session variables I've created if I look at them on the next page load. However, if I examine these variables immediately after the session.abandon call, they still exist with their current values. Where in the page life cycle does session.abandon actually remove these variables? Thanks in advance.  -- ZLA  After you have called Abandon() method, current session becomes invalid, but new session will be created on the next request. If you need to remove all values from session coll...

Loosing session state when I call a session variable from a derivated class
Hi folks I'm having an annoying problem. I have a web application which is used to edit some database data. The databases content may be in various languages, having one database for each language. I load a database calling it by the database name and the language suffix (for example: database_eng, when 'eng' is the laguage variable). So, I need to set a session variable 'Language', which is used in any webpage that calls information from a database. The problem I have is in some classes, which stores some methods to obtain information from databases. These clas...

Session-to-session
I must be missing something. I can not get the tabs to come back as they were when a session is ended. On the Main tab, I have "Show my windows and tabs from last time" On the Privacy tab, I have "Always clear my private data" with ONLY Download History, Cache, and Authenticated Sessions selected. When I close a session and then restart Firefox, I only get a single blank tab. -- The Frosted Flake +------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+ Frosted_Flake wrote: > I must be missing something. I can not get the tabs to come...

Session State in VS.Net
Hi.. I have an ASP background with very little VB. I'm trying to integrate a transactional app into DotNetNuke. The trans app uses session state to verify userid. I dont want to change all the code in the trans. app so I thought updating the following code to include Session("UID") = userId in signin.ascs.vb would do the trick but it doesnt appear to be storing the userid into state. Does anyone know what the problem might be ? If blnLogin Then ' Attempt to Validate User Credentials Dim userId As Integer = objSecurity.UserLogin(txtUsername.Text, txtPassword.Text, _p...

My session variables get cleared session is alive when code is changed in the class files.
Dear Friends,I am working on visual studio 2005. I have written some forms which are using some classes. I keep on making changes in form code. Session variables retain their values. But when a minor change is done in the class file, session variables are cleared of where as the session is alive.Please help me in troubleshooting this.Thanks in advance.Best Regards,Fazal.  You are saying right. Store static values during development like    page_load         Session("variable")=value  check some articleshttp://www.co...

Session Start / Session End
What kind of hoops do I have to jump through to get ASP.NET (1.1 and 2.0) to fire an event to call routines of my choice when a user's session begins and ends? TIA,Owen why don't you use the global.asax session start event? Global.asax in 2.0: http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/aspnet/doc/applications/globalasax.aspx...

Web resources about - Session variables vs. Session States - asp.net.getting-started

Cisco Debuts Open Pay Variable Pricing, Updates CCRE
Cisco Debuts Open Pay Variable Pricing, Updates CCRE Channel Partners Kris Snow, president of Cisco Capital, says the company's new Open Pay ...