Running .net version 2.0 and 1.1 side by side

Hi there,

I read a thread on this forum which suggested that it's possible to intall both versions 2.0 and 1.1 on the same server. Can someone please provide me more information on how this works. for example, how do you tell the application the use Version 1.1. instead of version 2? It seems to me that once you have version 2 installed it takes over version one and you can't go back but I'm sure I'm just inexperienced.

One other thing, sometimes I need to compile C# classes to produce libraries (.dll). Right now in my command prompt I have access to the c# compiler for version 2. Surelly, if I compile the c# file in the version 2 compiler and then attempt to run the file in a 1.1 enevironment there is no guaranteed that it will work. How can I use the compiler for vesion 1.1? it must be somewhere in the folders but I just cna't find it.

I need to have both enironment installed because at work we use version 1.1 and I wan't to be sure that code I write at home will be compatible in the work environment.

Can someone please give me a URL where I can read about this. I'm a newbie

Thanks very much.

0
ernieboy

ernieboy:
sometimes I need to compile C# classes to produce libraries (.dll). Right now in my command prompt I have access to the c# compiler for version 2. Surelly, if I compile the c# file in the version 2 compiler and then attempt to run the file in a 1.1 enevironment there is no guaranteed that it will work. How can I use the compiler for vesion 1.1? it must be somewhere in the folders but I just cna't find it.

you can use the vbc or csc command compilers in the respective .NET frameworks C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionoftheframework\. You can run it from the command prompt or open, which I find to be easier, a dos box. Locate the correct framework and make your call to the compiler with the correct switches.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
5/7/2006 12:06:41 PM

ernieboy:
how do you tell the application the use Version 1.1. instead of version 2? It seems to me that once you have version 2 installed it takes over version one and you can't go back but I'm sure I'm just inexperienced.

You can select the version of dot net from the Web site's properties. Assuming that you are running your websites on IIS 5/6, go to the properties of a website, click on the 'ASP.Net' tab, select the 'ASP.Net version' from the dropdown list and click ok.

"We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers."

=== Vishal Trivedi
=== VishalTrivedi.com/Blog

0
Vishal_
5/7/2006 12:29:55 PM

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for this. My problem is that version 1.1 is not listed in the drop down list, there is only version 2. Have I got my confuguration worng.

Cheers,

Ernest

0
ernieboy
5/7/2006 4:29:51 PM

Thanks Kris. That's exactly what I needed to know. Please keep up the good work.

Regards,

Ernest

0
ernieboy
5/7/2006 4:30:59 PM

ernieboy:
My problem is that version 1.1 is not listed in the drop down list, there is only version 2. Have I got my confuguration worng.

Hello Ernest,

It appears that the dot net framework v1.1 is not properly installed or is corrupted on your system.

Browse to the folder 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\' on your system, as mentioned by Kris. There will be one folder each for every version of framework that is installed on your system.If v1.1 is installed, you will see a folder with the name 'v1.1.4322' inside it (build version may differ). If the folder exists and if you're still not seeing it in the dropdown list then it may have got corrupted and you may need to re-install the framework.

"We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers."

=== Vishal Trivedi
=== VishalTrivedi.com/Blog

0
Vishal_
5/7/2006 5:11:39 PM

Aha!! I've now got it working. Apparently it was not installed in Windows Components. The thread
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=369131&SiteID=1 helped me to figure it out.

Thanks again Vishal

0
ernieboy

.NET 2.0 side by side with 1.1
My web server is running on Windows 2000, IIS 5.1 and .NET 1.1 .  I need to install SQL 2003 and for that I need .NET 2.0 to be installed.   Can I install the 2.0 framework side by side with 1.1?  If so how do I make sure that my web site contimue using then 1.1 Framework? Thanks Hi, yes you can. Just install Framework (dotnetfx.exe) manually from command-line with /noaspupgrade switch e.g Dotnetfx.exe /c:"install /noaspupgrade" Just note that even if you'd accidentally upgrade the site without this switch, Framework 2.0 installation adds "ASP.N...

DLL does not run on .Net 2.0 but runs on .Net 1.1
We have a DLL that was written in .Net 1.1. The DLL was not developed by us and therefore we do not have the source code to modify it. Based on my investigations, the DLL seems to be inheriting from the ‘system.web.ui.pair’ class. Unfortunately, this class is now sealed in .Net 2.0 and it therefore can not be used in inheritance. Does anybody have an idea on how we can make this DLL work in .Net 2.0?  Any walk arounds? Thanks Try to use Reflection to know the stucture of DLL. ThanksGirijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/...

Running 1.1 and 2.0 Side-By-Side
Is it possible to run a ASP.NET 1.1 site and a 2.0 side-by-side in the same web site or virtural directory? Since I'm not sure if the web.config can be shared so I don't know if this is possible. We need to do this to slowly migrate our site.Thanks,David McCarterwww.vsdntips.comDavid McCarterMicrosoft MVPdotNetTips.comhttp://www.codeplex.com/dotNetTips I had a similar problem. I have a web application (Framework 1.1) in production, and decided to develop the new tools for this web application using the new VS 2005 (framework 2.0). I had a few problems and solved them hosting the ...

Running 1.1 and 2.0 side by side
I understand that 1.1 and 2.0 can be run side by side on the same server. and also know how to select which version a web app runs not from experience but theory.Now what i want to know is there a guide or does anyone know how to install them both side by side on windows 2003 standard server.Will running .net framwork 1.1 and 2.0 conflict with any other service or such on a server? for instance a server with control panel. I have them both running on a windows 2003 server machine and everything is wokring smoothly. Regards Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP...

Install 1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side and use the 1.1 csc to compile a 1.0
Hi, I have the following (tricky) questions: 1. Can I install the 1.0 and 1.1 .NET Framework side-by-side with NO drawbacks on MY PC where I develop the .NET applications? (I do NOT use VS.NET) 2. After installing the 1.1 version, am I STILL ABLE to compile a 1.0 version, since our production web-server still runs on 1.0 (our development web-server was upgraded to 1.1) ?? thx Eau .... as long as you compile DLLs with the right csc.exe/vbc.exe from 1.0 or 1.1 Free ASP.NET Version Switcher may interest you.DNN skins ForumTressleworks modulesDNN & webhostingIEWCtrls...

Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0
Hi i am new bie to asp.net 2.0.Till date i have been developing projects using VS.Net 1.1 and now i hv decided to upgrade to new version 2.0.Now i want to run and develop my projects using any of the versions as desired.My question is that can i install vs 2.0 without updating the previous version and will i be able to develop and run my applications in any of the versions as desired.i have been known that we can run these versions side by side(i.e. one application can use 1.1 and other 2.0),but can we do side by side development as well(i.e. one application can use 1.1...

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

Run application (with Framework .net 1.1) in Framework .net 2.0
Dear All Is it possible to make the application built in Framework .net 1.1 to run in Framework .net 2.0 or to install it in Framework .net 2.0 without modifying its codes? I was told that it will not be compatible, but I tried to run it in .net 2.0 and it can be run successfully. But I have not fully tested it. But if I open it in VS2005, it will give me a lot of errors and warning. So I wonder can I just run it in .net 2.0 without touching its code. By the way, I found that there are v1.0.3705 and v2.0.50727 in my C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework. I have already uninstall ...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0 (continued)
Hi, Dave wrote a previous post that said: "If you are referring to web applications - each Virtual server must specify the framework to run under.  Both can run side-by-side.. but not under the same virtual server (application pool)" That looks fine, but I wonder: Is it just as easy as going to Administrative Tools --> IIS --> Select the virtual directory --> go to the property's ASP.NET tab and then selecting the ASP.NET version? Is there some important information that I need to know before going into this? Are there going to be ANY issues I should be aware of? T...

Help! Running .net 1.1 website on server with .net 2.0
Hi All,I have problems with running my .net version 1.1 website on a server that has .net version 2.0. Also my database is in sql server 2003 and on the server it is sql server 2005. The error that I am getting is: "unhandled exception..." and "invalid connection..."Please help! Kindly let me know if I have to modify my web.config file or other changes. (The website is working properly on my current server with sql server 2003 and .net framework version 1.1. ) Will let you know more details if required. Regards and thanks.  Hi, did you migrate your application to that server? If...

Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem???
I have .NET 1.1 running on remote (dedicated) server.  I have just installed Net 2.0 and created a Hello-World App to test it.  It worked fine yesterday, but today when I try it again I get "Server Application Unavailable" My 1.1 web apps seem to be running ok.  The following message was in the event log.  "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process"Can someone please advise me how to run 1.1 and 2.0 web apps on the sam...

Web resources about - Running .net version 2.0 and 1.1 side by side - asp.net.getting-started

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Short Cuts: Salt Bridge - the unknown Australian film in the running for two Oscars
A low-budget drama shot in Canberra leads the pack with seven tracks eligible for a best song nomination and is also in the field for best original ...

HILLARY AND THE U.N.: Your 2016 Democrat Running Mates
By Anne Bayefsky Islamic activists say 9/11 and San Bernardino were terrible — because of their effects on Muslims. O ver at the United Nations, ...

Shale's Running Out of Survival Tricks as OPEC Ramps Up Pressure
In 2015, the fracking outfits that dot America’s oil-rich plains threw everything they had at $50-a-barrel crude. To cope with the 50 percent ...

Rex Ryan trying to find the right balance when it comes to Tyrod Taylor's running
Tyrod Taylor is in some elite company when it comes to running the football. The Buffalo Bills’ quarterback is third in the NFL in both rushing ...

What pirates, hackers, and gangsters can teach you about running a business
Kyra Maya Phillips recalls sitting in a room with an ex-convict who was fresh out of prison after 21 years. Suddenly he stood up and told her, ...

Poll: Trump running away from GOP field
GOP candidate Donald Trump appears to end 2015 as the dominant force in the race for 2016's Republican nomination for president, a new CNN/ORC ...

Williams-Sonoma Wasn’t Really Running A ‘Buy One Knife, Get 99 Free’ Sale
Some of our readers experience a modern moral dilemma: they order an item online, and multiple duplicates of that item appear on their doorstep. ...

Greatest Running Back In NFL History Slams Young Black Men And Poor Parenting
Greatest Running Back In NFL History Slams Young Black Men And Poor Parenting

Nintendo is running another StreetPass Weekend for the holiday
... Miis Nintendo throws our way, and there's another of the former starting this week. From December 24 to January 4, Nintendo will be running ...