Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem???

I have .NET 1.1 running on remote (dedicated) server.  I have just installed Net 2.0 and created a Hello-World App to test it.  It worked fine yesterday, but today when I try it again I get "Server Application Unavailable"

My 1.1 web apps seem to be running ok.  The following message was in the event log.  "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process"

Can someone please advise me how to run 1.1 and 2.0 web apps on the same server?

JohnStodd

After you install version 2.0, there is a new tab called ASP.NET when you click properties with the application on IIS. Click ASP.NET tab, on the first row ASP.NET version, you can select which version for running your application. Make sure you pick up version 2. Hope it helps.

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
0
che3358
11/25/2005 1:47:19 PM

Go to the Properties window of the Web Application's Virtual Directory and in the ASP.NET tab select the version you want to use.

Steven Bey

Recursion: see Recursion
0
stevenbey
11/25/2005 2:00:41 PM
I already have.  That does not solve the problem.
0
JohnStodd
11/25/2005 2:12:00 PM

Neither of these replies help.  I must have framed the problem badly<g>.  To restate the problem:

1.  I have 4 IIS websites on a dedicated 2003 server, running Asp.Net 1.1 apps.  They run fine

2.  I installed Net 2.0 on the server.

3.  I did not alter the Asp.Net 1.1 websites.

4.  I added a new "hello world" website, written using VWD and ftp'd it to the server.  Then I used IIS to add a new website pointing to the uploaded site and made sure it was configured as Asp.Net 2.0.

5.  It worked OK.

6.  The next day I ran it again and it failed with the message about "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process"

7.  So why did it run yesterday and not today?  How do make the 2 different versions of ASP.NEt run in different IIS processes?

Thanks in advance!

0
JohnStodd
11/25/2005 3:16:55 PM
Check your application pools.

1.  Expand the Application Pool in the IIS MMC
2.  If there is only one create a new one.

Point all of your new 2.0 sites to point to the new application pool you created.  1.1 and 2.0 web applications can not use the same application pool., and can be changed under the sites properties - Home Directory tab..

-- jody
My Blogs on .Net 2.0 and Ajax
http://csk.wbcb.com
http://ArtbyJody.com
0
jodywbcb
11/25/2005 7:42:40 PM
Many thanks.  That did it!

John B
0
JohnStodd
11/25/2005 8:14:18 PM

It helped us too. Thanks for the info. Smile

fojie_apple
0
fojie_apple

Help! Running .net 1.1 website on server with .net 2.0
Hi All,I have problems with running my .net version 1.1 website on a server that has .net version 2.0. Also my database is in sql server 2003 and on the server it is sql server 2005. The error that I am getting is: "unhandled exception..." and "invalid connection..."Please help! Kindly let me know if I have to modify my web.config file or other changes. (The website is working properly on my current server with sql server 2003 and .net framework version 1.1. ) Will let you know more details if required. Regards and thanks.  Hi, did you migrate your application to that server? If...

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server?
Hi, We have been hosting an app on a server that has ASP and ASP.net 1.1 support.  We are now moving to an ISP that has ASP, ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 plans.  We will soon migrate the development environment to VS 2005.  However, today we use VS 2003.  My question is can we initially deply to a server that has .net 2.0 support?  Are the 2.0 libs fully backward compatible? jerry    You can deploy a 1.1 app to a server runnuing both 1.1 and 2.0 by setting the framework version for the application on the server.  You can deploy many (bu...

Bits of a .NET 1 web app crash on a server running both .NET 1 and 2
We have a a win2003 server with running mostly .NET 2 web applications but one .NET 1 project. We quickly realised after initial upload of the .NET 1 application that the two versions of .NET would have to run in separate application pools. So I set one up called DOTNET1, assigned my app to it and everything seemed to run swimmingly.  Then yesterday a client rang up to say that a single page of the site wasn't working, although the rest seemed fine when I checked. Then today they rang up again and said a different page wasn't working. Both times it showed me an page sugges...

DLL does not run on .Net 2.0 but runs on .Net 1.1
We have a DLL that was written in .Net 1.1. The DLL was not developed by us and therefore we do not have the source code to modify it. Based on my investigations, the DLL seems to be inheriting from the ‘system.web.ui.pair’ class. Unfortunately, this class is now sealed in .Net 2.0 and it therefore can not be used in inheritance. Does anybody have an idea on how we can make this DLL work in .Net 2.0?  Any walk arounds? Thanks Try to use Reflection to know the stucture of DLL. ThanksGirijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/...

Problem running 1.1 .net application 2.0 server
When our development server failed(1.1) the IT dept built a new one with Windows Server Standard R2 and ver 2.0 of the .net framework.  After deploying our application, which was running fine on the previous Windows Enterprise Edition server, to the development server we receive a 404 page not found error.   I've selected 1.1 under the ASP.net tab of the web sites properties.  I've verified ASP.net is installed and running.  Under Web Service extensions ASP.NET 1.1 and Active Server Pages are both allowed.  There must be something I'm missing...

CrystalReportViewer problem after converting from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
After converting my web aaplication project from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0, I am getting the following error when trying to run reports (and even in the VS 2005 designer):The base class includes the field 'crvBCSOnHandReport', but its type (CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalReportViewer) is not compatible with the type of control (CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalReportViewer)Has anybody else had this problem after converting?Thanks,Sacha...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

Web resources about - Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem??? - asp.net.getting-started

Malcolm Turnbull's first 100 days as Prime Minister: Successes and problems
December 23 marks 100 full days as Prime Minister for Malcolm Turnbull. How has he fared? Lisa Cox looks at his successes and the headaches. ...

[...]

"When there’s a problem, people need someone or something to blame. Among L.A. residents peeved with ...
... they’d take their garden-wrecking, loudly squawking, prolifically pooping selves and fly the coop...." Did you know L.A. has a peacock problem ...

Merkel-Enhanced Migration Problem: Million Refugees Hit Europe, 80% Through Greece by Boat; Turkish Mafia ...
... made their way to Europe this year. Every country is complaining now, even Germany. So why isn't anything concrete being done? Why the Problem ...

Maps Minutes Hack #7: No signal, no problem. Navigate your holiday travels with Google Maps offline
Part of our series on how to save time this holiday season with Google Maps. This time of year, millions take a road trip home for the holidays ...

Oakland Airport On Alert; Southwest Flight Encounters Problem
CBS Local Oakland Airport On Alert; Southwest Flight Encounters Problem CBS Local FORT LAUDERDALE, FL - SEPTEMBER 27: A Southwest airplane ...