Retrieve text from doc and pdf file

I am developing a web application which needs to index doc and pdf files, using ASP.NET and C#. Many sites have info on how to write a doc or pdf file. I am not able to find any info on how to retrieve text as strings from those files.

0
umesh_ladha

Getting the text from a PDF file
Hello, I would like to extract the whole text from a PDF document. Can you recommend a perl module that can do this under Windows? I searched on cpan.org and I found very many modules, I tested a few of them, but none of them was able to extract the text, which can be seen well with Acrobat Reader, but they extracted only garbage, or nothing, or just gave an error, or they were incompatible with Windows... Thank you very much. IP Ion Pop wrote: > I would like to extract the whole text from a PDF document. Can you > recommend a perl module that can do this und...

PDF files and DOC files
Name: Jeff Kopacz Email: Jeffkopacz_at_mchsi.com Product: Firefox Summary: PDF files and DOC files Comments: When using Firefox and have to view a pdf file or Doc file I have to have Adobe Reader or Word started before selecting the file or the computer will lockup. I am using XP and Firefox 1.0.7. If I use either IE or Netscape they will open properly. This has recently occured with either version 6 or 7 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7 ...

*.txt or *.doc files ? how can i get my record of table1 to *.txt or *.doc files?
hi friends i have table1. and i have username(varchar15) and name(varchar15) and userid(integer) as columname.. and i have 300 records in table1 i want to create *.txt or *.doc files and get my records to *.txt or *.doc files.. i also want to get back my records in *.txt or *.doc to table1 :) how can i do this ? SincerelyMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) How would you like to.  My first choice would be a DTS job that exports comma delimited text, but it's easy enough to write this in a lot of different ways. JeffPlease: Don't forget to clic...

VB.NET search text in doc file
How can I search text in doc file ?  HI,Dim sReader As New StreamReader("C:\myfile.doc")Dim text As String = sReader.ReadToEnd()sReader.Close  If text.Contains("searchvalue") Then      'do somethingEnd If Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

PDF & Doc file info retrieval
Ok, I am building an admin area on my site that will allow people to upload PDF and Doc files. These files will have the Title and Comments properties filled in. Elsewhere on the site I wish to display all the files, listing the Title, Date it was uploaded and any Comments added and allow users to download them. Is this possible or are you limited to which properties you can retrieve and display? Cheers for any help.Life's A Bitch, And Then You Die...

retrieving pdf, doc or txt files from database
Hi,  This should be my gridview Name    Date Posted    Auther         Description            Size        Document XXX       08/23/2007       ssss       testing document       100KB     (pdf Image) XXX       08/23/2007       kkkk ...

how to highlight given text in pdf,doc files?

How to convert a pdf file to text format using .net
Hi all, I want to convert a PDF format file to a text format file(i.e., Wordpad or Notepad).For this i have to use .Net only. Plz send replies urgently. tnx ramesh...

silent print a pdf / doc file using vb.net
hi,i need code to print a pdf / doc file silently without opening the pdf / word document  and i need to select local / network printer and i need to select the file to print , all these things should be done in vb.net application can any one give me the code for this i need this very urgently by tomorrow   ...

Vs.net 2008 - web setup project
Hi,  I created a web setup (not web deployment) project in VS.net 2008; I noticed that PDF files in a folder is not getting added part of the websetup output. In the same folder, I have images, text files, they are all included. Does any one know, how to include PDF Files and other files, part of the websetup project? Regards, Sreedhar Hi, What type of your ASP.NET project is? I guess it is ASP.NET web application. If so, the pdf file is not copy to output directory by default, because it is not treated as "Content" of Build Action. To work around this issue, we can se...

saving and retrieving various (doc, xls, pdf, etc) files attached to DB row
D7; Sybase ASA 9.0; BDE/ODBC I have a client who wants to attach various document types to rows in the DB. Do I attempt to store them as Blob's or save the document location and open it with its native program? Any suggestions of the best technique, alternate technique or methodology using Delphi 7 or Delphi 2007? Thanks -- Bill Skelton Landmark Data Systems, Inc. Two Old River Place, Suite L Jackson, MS 39202-3435 601-362-0303 Edited by: Bill Skelton on Aug 19, 2008 3:39 PM Bill Skelton schrieb: > D7; Sybase ASA 9.0; BDE/ODBC > > I have a client ...

Getting Text Between Two Words In Text File
Hi everyone, Im just wondering what the best way to do this would be.I need to get a certain line of text from a number of text file records.This text lies between "-" and a </strong> tag. How would I go about this Thanks for your help! julie Use the File class to open and read your file and then use Regular Expression to find the specific word. References: File Class Regular Expression "I refuse to sign my posts with some clever quote said by some famous tech head in order to make myself seem more intelligent"-- Bill Gates...

How to convert PDF files to normal text file?
Hi, I encountered problem of converting from PDF doc to normal text file. How to strip off the formatting text of the PDF and convert plain text document to normal text file? Much appreciate if you could advise me on it. Thank you. the short answer is "you cant". the long answer is: PDF is a very very complex file format which would require you to write a parser for it. from there, the text in pdf's is stored in a number of diffrnet ways. if you're lucky, they're storing it as a compressed text object & you can just uncompress into a txt file. if you're not lucky,...

Get data from a text file to an HTML file
I am trying to read data from a text file ( has a username and usercode columns) to display on an html page. It there a way to do that? The text file changes information daily. I guess it would be better to have an xml file in place of the text file, then you would apply XSLT to the XML and display them on the page as html. Regards  Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP The text file is generated from another program so I can't change the type of file.   Look at the System.IO namespace. Thare are readers in there where you pass in th...

Web resources about - Retrieve text from doc and pdf file - asp.net.getting-started

Facebook Developers Can Retrieve Users’ Profile Pictures In Different Sizes
Facebook introduced a way for developers to retrieve users’ profile pictures for use within their applications in different sizes, rather than ...

Winston retrieves the news - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... food and losing weight. Three months ago, we were told he had lymphosarcoma of the GI tract. On March 10, 2008, Winston was called to go retrieve ...

Dolphin retrieves phone for a lady after it fell in the ocean - YouTube
Dolphin retrieves phone for a lady after it fell in the ocean

Man killed by train after jumping on tracks to retrieve something
A man has been killed by a train after jumping onto the tracks to retrieve something at Wentworthville Station.

People Are Willing To Go To Extreme Lengths To Retrieve Their Stolen Smartphones
People are willing to pay a ton of money and potentially put themselves in danger to retrieve their stolen smartphones, a new survey has found. ...

NSA surveillance program can retrieve, replay phone calls
The NSA has built a voice interception program capable of recording 100 per cent of a foreign country's calls and replaying voices from calls ...

Divers retrieve body from NSW floodwaters
A woman's body has been retrieved from a submerged car in a creek in Maitland.

Tourist plunges to death from Potts Point rooftop park trying to retrieve football: police
A French tourist who fell to his death from a rooftop park in Potts Point in inner Sydney was attempting to retrieve a football that had gone ...

Rescuers retrieve bodies after Brazilian tour bus crash kills 54
At least 54 people have been killed after a tour bus plunged hundreds of metres into a densely wooded ravine in southern Brazil, authorities ...

Investigators retrieve more human remains at MH17 crash site in eastern Ukraine but wreckage cannot yet ...
Dutch forensic experts recover further human remains at the crash site of downed flight MH17.