Request Suggestion: ASP=>ASP.NET 3.5 or ASP=>ASP.NET 2.0 ->ASP.NET 3.5 (in 5 years)

Hi there,

 I have a few questions:

My company has about 40 mid-sized application written in class asp. We plan to upgrade to ASP.NET since Microsoft will no longer support ASP

in three years. As of today, most of our servers are running ASP.NET 2.0. Here are a few of the questions:

1.) Is ASP.NET 3.5 or ASP.NET 3.0 stable enough to be put to production?

2.) Can IIS run different versions of ASP.NET?

3.) For new applications, would you guys develop it in ASP.NET 2.0 or the latest version?

4.) Any known problems?

 I love the the MVC and ORM/LINQ about ASP.NET 3.5; however, I'm satisfied with ASP.NET 2.0 + custom MVC + NHibernate.

Steven Ho

Computer System Analyst
0
javacrazy

Go with 3.5. It's very stable. Its still the 2.0 clr so you really have no reason NOT to go with 3.5.

Yes, IIS if fine with multiple versions on a per-site basis. It's an option in the Asp.Net tab of the Site config in IIS.

I do everything in 3.5/vs2008 now.... and would never go back unless there was an absolute requirement.

0
Curt_C
8/15/2008 5:23:09 PM

Just out of interest where did you get the time frame from, I have seen lots of posts that back up this statement http://forums.iis.net/t/1149071.aspx

ASP.NET 3.5 is ASP.net V2 with a few features added, So no reason that you can not use it now in production, loads of sites are with no problem.

Each virtual directory can be mapped to a version of the framework.

Hope it helps

Regards
Jeremy
If this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.
0
jeremyh
8/15/2008 5:31:41 PM

 Consider, we still have MS-SQL 6.0 in our production environment. Upgrading from ASP.NET 2.0 to ASP.NET 3.5 in five years sounds like a good guess to me. :-p

Computer System Analyst
0
javacrazy
8/15/2008 5:48:18 PM

 I use 3.5 for my new applications or upgrades of older ones. 3.5 is 2.0 with some updates and it pretty stable. In IIS you can run different versions of ASP.Net but don't go looking for 3.0 or 3.5, you just use 2.0 (the CLR is the same).

0
may
8/15/2008 5:57:01 PM

javacrazy:

 Consider, we still have MS-SQL 6.0 in our production environment.

Seriously? Wow... I would have quit....seriously....

0
Curt_C
8/15/2008 7:50:22 PM

Yeah, me too o.O My last job was in .NET 3.5 and VS2008, but my current one is in .NET 2.0 and VS2005, and honestly, if it wasn't that they promised me the migration by the end of the year... Its such a huge step back.

Now unfortunately, getting people to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 is a lot harder... But SQL 2008 is LIGHTYEARS ahead of 2005, and seriously, I can't wait... if I had the choice between VS2008 and SQL Server 2008, I'd choose the later without thinking, haha... SQL 6.0... OUCH! thats brutal.

0
shados

Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Name: Tony Email: Accuscopeathotmaildotcodotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Proplem with..Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) Comments: I have used Firefox for many years but I am not happy with latest version. You can set options such as home page and security and privacy settings but as soon as you close the browser and re start it remembers none of the settings??? Very frustrating! I have re-installed several times and rebooted every time but it always goes back to a default page as though I had just do...

Installation of .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.5
 Hi all, Can i install Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 at the same Operating system.?Plz let me know.. Thanks:Bijaya Kumar SahooRapidsoft Technologies, GurgaonMOSS 2007, Asp.Net,C#.Net,SQL Server,AJAXhttp://fewlines4biju.blogspot.com Yes. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.  Yes , There is no problem. Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like ...

Can we replace Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Hi, I have installed vs2008 in C drive and removed it from there  including Microsoft .Net framework 3.5, due to space crunch, then I started installing it in D drive, in this case it did not install .Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 and now it does not show me Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 it shows .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in Add remove program list. My question is will VS2008 work fine with .NET Compact Framework 3.5. apart from it it also has .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the list, all what is missing is microsoft .net framework 3.5  Please let me know ...

Diffrence bet .net 2.0 and .net 3.5
What is diffrence between .net 2.0 and .net 3.5.AzharPirana Dargah  3.5 is an add-on to 2.0 so everything you can do in 2.0 you can do in 3.5, no code changes. 3.5 added support for WPF and WCF so if you don't need those technologies, think of 3.5 as 2.0 with better AJAX support and you're fine."Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."...

how to revert back to .net 2.0 from .net 3.5?
I have developed a small app in VS2008 and now realize that the hosting company I deal with only has .net 2.0   how can I revert the site back to 2.0? Change the target .NET Framework (from Website property pages/Build section) to .NET 2.0. If you have used 3.5 specific features (both language-specific and .NET Framework classes), you have to change the code too.Mark replies as answers if they helped you solve the problem....

Does DW.Net 2.5 work with .Net 3.0?
Thanks It will work with .NET 3.0 but it uses .NET 2.0 classes. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase On 12 Sep 2007 10:39:02 -0700, "luiz silva" <luiz.silva@turner.com> wrote: >Thanks > ...

MVC is only for .Net 3.5? Is it not available for .Net 2.0?
Hello. I´m new to MVC and I want to try it.. My fist question is: MVC is only for .Net 3.5? Is it not available for .Net 2.0?Thanks!  You could get it to run on 2.0: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DeployingASPNETMVCOnASPNET20.aspx, but you would be better advised to get 3.5 SP1.  It is free, after all.  So is Visual Web Developer Express, so you can play with it. Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site ASP.NET MVC distributed assemblies reference System.Core.dll assembly from .NET FW 3.5 so you need .NET FW 3.5 to run ASP.NET MVC.Don't forget to click &qu...

Extra features in .Net 3.5 over .Net 2.0
Dear All, Please tell me what is new in .Net 3.5 over .Net 2.0  Thanks & Regardserneeraj v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} ..shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ...

.NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 2.0
Hi All,            I wana know i have .net framework 2.0 running on my pc with sql server 2005. I wana install .net framework 3.5. My question is that can i keep both the framework on same pc if yes can u tell me the way how can i do this.  The 3.5 version of the framework actually adds to the existing 2.0 framework. after you install 3.5, you will still have 2.0 on your system.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ actually by default and automatilcally when you ...

Support for dw.NET 2.5 in VS 2008, .NET framework 3.5 and Oracle 10.2g
Hi, I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend and later using Oracle 11g as backend. Can someone please let me know if the product is supported in the environments mentioned. All help will be highly appreciated and many thanks in advance. Regards Hasan Kasamali On Nov 24, 3:06=A0am, Hasan Kasamali wrote: > Hi, > > I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET > framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend > and later using Oracle 11g as backend. > > Can ...

Downloads are for .net 3.5 but all the starter kits are .net 2.0!?!?
I assume I'm missing something, but after downloading the installer for the latest products - web developer, etc, I downloaded some starter kits, dotnetnuke, the soccer club deal, and a couple others. Of course, none of them would compile and some use solutions, which apparently, express doesn't handle. Why are the starter kits here, as resources, if they aren't compatible with the products available on this site? If I'm suppposed to use an older version of studio express, which one and where do I get it?  I think the run time of 3.5 is same as 2.0, because 3.5 buid on...

How to upgrade .net 2.0 to .net 3.5 in vs 2008
Hi, I did not upgrade .net2.0 to .net 3.5 when I first open vs 2008. but, I now want to upgrade it to 3.5. can someone tell me how to do it in vs 2008? where can open the wizard window again to upgrade?thanks. Xiuxian      Hi, All you have to do is open the .sln or project file of VS 2005 in VS2008. File > Open > Solution. The VS 2008 Conversion Wizard will ask you to upgrade. HTH,Suprotim Agarwal  ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks | Hosting your site? | SQL Server Tips I would imagine you could just in...

.Net 2.0 Project Seems to Compile for .Net 3.5
HI,I've ran into a bit of a problem. I've got Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition installed and I'm working on a project with another developer who only has VS2005. More importantly I have .Net 3.5 and .Net 2.0 installed while the other developer only has 2.0.I haven't told the project to compile to 3.5, and I haven't changed references to point new versions of the assemblies.However I'm seeing different functionality to the other developer. For a start HtmlForm.Action can be set for me, it shows up in intellisense and works as expected. However ...

Web resources about - Request Suggestion: ASP=>ASP.NET 3.5 or ASP=>ASP.NET 2.0 ->ASP.NET 3.5 (in 5 years) - asp.net.getting-started