really getting started here and need help

Hi, I'm totally new to this forum.

I don't know if I did the right thing so far but been learning the hard way and its time I asked for help from experienced users...
Firstly, I'm trying to learn and implement ASP.NET to build my online portfolio (photos). Thinking of implementing a database to make updating much easier in the future.
I bought perhaps a pretty horrible book - Sams teach yourself asp.net in 24 hours.. but I'm putting up with it for the time being.
So I signed up with this hosting company called hostonce.com (I hope they're not extremely bad...) and I just realized that it came with mySql database connectivity and not MSDE or what not.
So.. I really need to learn how to connect to the mySql database with my ASP.net webpage. Are there any mysql programs where I can use to test my codes before uploading to the server?
and I've been using the microsoft web matrix to learn how to code so far and I kinda like its functions. I just realized that it doesn't allow connections to other databases besides access and MSDE so I'm guessing its time to abandon the program? well I have both visual studio.net and dreamweaver mx. which should I use? I was thinking of dreamweaver but it seems so difficult to use. like for example I don't even know how to group radiobuttons in dreamweaver.. it seems so easy in web matrix though.
also are there any online short tutorials which teaches how to connect to mySQL databases?
I'm just so lost and confused right now. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks in advance.
regards
mun weng
0
mcheong

Hi mun,

You can definitely use whatever tool to write a page to connect with mySQL database,
including Web Matrix of course!
FYI: view post 368466
Regards,
0
Colt

I have started to use MySQL about 3 days ago and I found all what I needed on this page.
http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/
Regards
fastest code is no code
thanks for the help... still confused...  so I read this post by 'networkintranet' in http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=368466

i downloaded MYSQL control center and MySQLDriverCS. I have no idea what the MySQLDriverCS does... are there any tutorials which shows us how to use it? What does the driver do anyway?
also I'm using VB.net instead of C#.. will MySQLDriverCS work then?
0
mcheong
12/30/2003 5:49:08 PM
I really need help here.. could someone??
0
mcheong

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Needs help on getting starting...
Hello , I am new to developing with ASP. I have to develop an order tracking intranet application.The application will be to track request for proposal that will pass thru 5 stages before we come up with a bid. I will be using SQL Server database. and windows 2003 server. I there any example that I can use or any that you would recommend that I look at? Thanks Khurshid Check out the ASP.NET Starter Kits....

Need help getting started
Hello. I'm trying to learn C#. I own two web sites but neither supports ASP.Net. I need an area to test my C# pages. Is there a program I can download to do so? Alex Hello Alex_dude,   Have a look at Visual Web Developper for ASP.NET 2.0 and Webmatrix for ASP.NET 1.1 Webmatrix comes withhis own webserver. For Visual Webdevelopper you need IIS (I think, never checked it out). I suggest you using Visual Webdeveloper as it is free and has the same look and feel as Visual Studio .NET   Good luck and have fun   Leketje   Leketje wrote:For Visual Webdeve...

Need Help Getting Started....
http://worldpedigrees.com/Beagles.htm thats a site i'm looking to create my site after.... I'm wanting a database thats easy to use and everything... look it over and give me some ideas... jack Uh? Come again? I'm sorry but you'll have to provide a little more detail of what "ideas" you're looking for here."I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown...

need help getting started!
I hope I"m allowed to post this here, as it is somewhat related to ASP.NET. I'm new to programming, and people said that I should learn C# before trying to attempt ASP.NET, and so I've started reading Learning C#by Jesse Liberty. And I'm following his instructions and he says to go to the command prompt and enter csc helloworld.cs. But when I do that, it says, 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! CSC will be in <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<ve...

Need Help Getting Started
I am trying to create my first WebPart using Visual Studio.Net 2008 and C#. This will be used in an ASP.Net web application and I don't have any plans for use in SharePoint at this time. I haven't found any code samples so I started by creating a new User Control (.ascx). The first thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be any project templates for WebParts, is that true? I attempted to go two routes, first to use WebPart as the base class and the second to use System.Web.UI.UserControl, IWebPart as the base class + Interface. I found problems using this both ways. W...

Help Needed Getting Started
I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error: Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review t...

Need help getting started
Hi there,=20 I'm trying to get started contributing to Firefox OS. I have a few question= s I was hoping you can help me with. I'm thinking about fixing bugs on the clock app. It looks like a useful app= that is in need of some TLC, while being not too complex. Does it make sen= se? Would you rather recommend starting somewhere else? Should I be working on master or another branch (i.e.. v2.1)? Creating my profile with make worked. I can run it in the emulator (WebIDE)= but some unit and integration tests are failing on master. I would really = prefer to start with a...

Need help getting this started...
I am knew to asp.net and have no coding experience to speak of.  I am trying to work with the community starter kit and have no success in getting started.  Are there any SIMPLE instructions for novices that explain how to setup and use this kit?Any help would be greatly appreciated!RM Hello,I am also relatively new. But I just went through a lot of this, so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, it took me 3 different downloads to find a kit that installed all the way through without error. I suggest that you do NOT choose the JS versions (J-sharp). Although it installed oka...

Just need some help getting started and not sure where to go for help!
Hello All, My company is interested in hosting Exchange 2003, i have read this list and figured out I need to use some combo of MPS, MOM DCAM, MOM DB, EXCH Back-end, EXCH Front-End, and a couple of AD servers however I am not even sure where to start. We are a MS Parnter and have an SPLA license but we were sent the "Hosted Exchange" media and all it was is EXCH Standard Edition. Is there some documentation somewhere that tells me how to setup the environment and all that is required? I am good at Exchange AD, MOM, SQL, all that in an Enterprise Environment but I have no clue...

Need help getting started
Ok, I'm quite new with AJAX and it seems cool...  I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and I believe I have ASP.NET AJAX - I say believe because I went to apply the "convert" instructions and the mods already seem to be in place... If I underatand correctly, AJAX allows us to put display type controls inside UpdatePanels and then have them update with new information based on receiving events from user input type controls - like buttons.  I have several UpdatePanels with AsyncPostBackTriggers referencing other controls like buttons. Is the implecation here that we no longe...

Need Help getting Started
Aloha, I had no problem loading up the Portal VS and recevied this message when trying to view the page: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. Here are the error messages: ...

Getting Started Help Needed
Hi, I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going for me. I'm not a DBA and need some help. When I try to connect I get an error message that either SYBASE is not running (which it is), or I have a port specified incorrectly. I'm using the default of 5002. Any ideas out there on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Default is usually 5000, how many installs of Sybase do you have. <Doug_Collins> wrote in message news:C9D15F13B172434B004B972C85256CD3.004B977485256CD3@webforums... > Hi, > I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going fo...

Web resources about - really getting started here and need help - asp.net.getting-started

Calm urged after Ohio grand jury doesn't indict officers in killing of Tamir Rice
6abc.com Calm urged after Ohio grand jury doesn't indict officers in killing of Tamir Rice 6abc.com Officials are urging calm as they brace ...

Fox Guest Blames ‘Liberal Bias’ By PolitiFact For So Many Donald Trump Lies
Fox guest Mercedes Schlapp argued with a straight face that if PolitiFact wasn’t partisan, it would have found an equal number of “True” statements ...

The 5 most annoying things about ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
Despite the onslaught of praise directed at Star Wars: The Force Awakens , I can't help but feel that the film's rave reviews are undeservedly ...

Apple dominates holiday shopping season; iOS accounted for 49% of new device activations
Shares of Apple may be slumping, but the company's products continue to resonate with consumers in impressive fashion. During the Christmas holiday ...

Samsung's Bio-Processor chip that has built-in support for measuring body fat, muscle mass, heart rate ...
Jacob Kastrenakes / The Verge : Samsung's Bio-Processor chip that has built-in support for measuring body fat, muscle mass, heart rate, skin ...

Belgians arrest 2 accused in New Year's terror plot
NDTV Belgians arrest 2 accused in New Year's terror plot CNN (CNN) Belgian authorities have arrested two people on suspicion of being involved ...

Did James Harden dump ‘moody’ Khloe Kardashian on Christmas day?
Help me, because I actually want Khloe Kardashian’s haircut in this ^^ photo. It’s a great length, right? We should do a poll: should I get a ...

San Francisco's Housing Shortage Threatens African Americans
Space-strapped San Francisco mines historic African American neighborhood for housing, retail

`Lemmy' Kilmister, Founder of Rock Band Motorhead, Dies at 70
Newsweek `Lemmy' Kilmister, Founder of Rock Band Motorhead, Dies at 70 Bloomberg Lemmy Kilmister performs with Motorhead during the Hellfest ...

'Affluenza' teen arrested in Mexican resort after weeks on the run
The "affluenza" teen is once again in police custody after weeks on the run, and may finally face jail time. Ethan Couch, the drunk-driving ...