Problem accessing server side array values from javascript client side function

i faced the following problem ..i have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding.

From client side function:
addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>;
0
wingshya

First of all, you can't mix server-side and client-side code. The reason is that the protocol that is used to communicate between client and server (i.e. HTTP) doesn't allow this.
Secondly, is this script in an external .js file or embedded in the Page itself? If it's embedded in the Page, then if you look at the source of the web page (in the menubar click on View -> Source) you will see (assuming BSCStr[i] == "test"):
    addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + test;
This means that the browser is expecting a variable named test to have been defined (which obviously hasn't been). If you surround the <%= ... %> with quotation marks, i.e.
    addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + "<%=BSCStr[i]%>";
you will see:
    addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + "test";
However, if i is defined on the client (which is what I suspect) then this won't work either. What you need to do is define an array in your JavaScript and then create a server-side loop that outputs a literal string that will, on the client, populate the array. For example:
    <script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">

var BSCStr = new Array ( <%= Server-Side_Function() %> ) ;
</script>
<script language="C#" runat="server">
public String ServerSide_Function () {
String ReturnValue = "";
// BSCStr = "test1", "test2", "test3"
for ( int i = 0; i < BSCStr.Length; i++ ) {
if ( i > 0 ) { ReturnValue += ", "; }
ReturnValue += "\"" + BSCStr [ i ] + "\"";
}
}
</script>
This will result in the following:
    var BSCStr = new Array ( "test1", "test2", "test3" );
Finally, remove the "<%= " and "%>" from your original JavaScript.

Steven Bey

Recursion: see Recursion
0
stevenbey

Problem accessing server side array values from client side javascript function
i faced the following problem ..i have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding. From client side function: addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>;...

Problem accessing a server side declared array from the client side javascript function.
I have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding. From client side javascript function: addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>; Hi wingshya, Did you still need help with this thread? Jason ConwayMCP, MCTS, Certified SCRUM Masterasp.net blog...

Accessing server-side control in client-side javascript function; on Content page
I am trying to set an asp:textbox value in the Client side javascript function. It works fine on the standalone page. But when i try to do this the Content page, it’s giving the follwoing error message. document.getElementByID[...] is null of not an object  Any idea? Thanks, Riz   Hi, are you using ClientID property of that server control, to get its ID (which is rendered at the client and can be used with document.getElementById )?Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you my problem is solved....

How to call server side(C#) function from Client side(Javascript) function?
Hi i have used below functions,  function HandleOnClose() {// this function will be called after clicking browsers close button in Internet explorer if (event.clientY < 0) { event.returnValue = 'Are you sure you want to leave the page?'; } // if he clicks ok then i need to call one server side function in this instance.. else not. } <body onbeforeunload="HandleOnClose()" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">other controls in page..</div>  How to achieve this? Thanks MS AJAX Extensions would be the option of choice here. Combined with webservices you can...

Problem passing value client-side to server-side
I have a page that calls a pop-up while passing an encrypted value via a query string. The value is encrypted on the parent client-side in javascript so it needs to be decrypted client-side as well. This decryption occurs on closing the child (popup) and I am at a loss of when and how I should get this value to the server-side. On the popup you just want to process server side code? Anytime you can access for example the raw url:string raw = Page.Request.RawUrl;If you need to access any values on the client side you can access the url using javascript. Another idea is to, on the code beh...

Call server side function from client side javascript
I have a javascript where I either need to call an onclick even of a server link button or I need to be able to call a server side function.   The only thing is I cant use AJAX.  Is there any way I can do this or am I spinning my wheels. Thanks!-------------Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. I have a similar problem.  In my case, I would like to set a server-side session object from JavaScript.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Dan Sure, y...

how to call server side function from client side javascript?
Hi all, I have a image button in the update panel. I would like to call a method from server side (not from webservice) to get the variable when Onclick on the image button is invoked. Is there any way that I can able to access this function from the client script? In using the UpdatePanel, in essence, you're already doing this because there will not be a full postback.  You can make an asynchronous call to your Click method of your ImageButton.  So, what do you want to do with this "variable"?Christopher Reed"The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient."...

How to call server side function from client side JavaScript?
I want to call a server-side function, like a button's click event or just another private or public function , from a client-side JavaScript function. How do I do that? thanX AnzIf this post was useful to you, please mark it as answer.ClientSideAsp.Net | Blog Maybe alittle more that you need, but....... 1) Put a button on the page. Lets say its id is Button1. Make sure that its has causesValidation=false 2) Write the code for the button. 3) Write the following in the PAge_Load event Button1.Attributes.Add("onClick", "myJSFunction(); return false") 4) Copy this javascript...

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

Getting hidden variable value from server side in client side
hi,        I am struck in problem. I have a hidden field in my form and i am setting some value in that.         Now i wnt to use this value from client side but i m not able to retrieve it. All i am getting there is an object.         I feel the hidden field is not able to hold that value.         <input type="hidden" id="hdnVar" runat="server" />         in code behind      ...

Accessing server-side Datatable object from client-side javascript?
I am working on a control  that generates 2D charts (line,bar,pie,etc) using VML (for now) to draw the charts client-side. I am new to Javascript and still cant figure out how to access the data I need to graph from the javascript side.  I am currently using a Sys.Data.Datable on the client side as test data (building the table manually in javascript) and it works fine but I cannot figure how to pass a datatable from the server to the control extension behavior? I have read/seen code on the forums on how to do this using a web-service but I am really looking a...

Can you call a c# on the server side from javascript functions on client side
Hello guys This is something intresting I have come across during development. I have a javascript written in a .JS file , to my knowledge the .js files are executed on the server side. But security concerns with java script that these .js files can be access by connecting to port 80 of the server . So an ultimate alternative reminas to call c# code from a java script function. Can anyone Help me on this matter Regards Nihar Hi Nihar, Usually .js files executed on client side. Please explain your configuration.Leon LangleybenMCSD, ASP.NET MVPBlog...

server side control passing value of self in client side function
I have a server side dropdownlist control.It contains values as:"#00FFFF""#FF00FF""#FFFF00"When the selectedindex is changed by the client I want to assign the value of the dropdownlist to a <div id="example"></div> evelement.pseudo:document.getElementbyId('example').bgcolor=dropdownlist.valueHow can I do this? I think I somehow need to attach a function to my dropdownlist which passes its own value as a parameter to a function...any suggestions?Thanks!please mark answers as 'Answered' and post back solutions when you figure stuff out that isnt in the post already. You ...

accessing a server side function in a parent page from a server side function found in a page in an iframe
I was wondering if this was possible. I current have a page with a menu where when a menu item is clicked the iframe directly underneath would populate with a specified page based on menu item. From here I would like to access a function based in the parent page when something in the iframe is accessed. Or the very least access the attributes such as the height or width of the main window compared to the iframe from the iframe's page's server function. I am trying to display a separate window for the user through javascript like a modal window which i want to fill up the whole ...

Web resources about - Problem accessing server side array values from javascript client side function - asp.net.getting-started

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
programming styles. JavaScript was formalized in the ECMAScript language standard and is primarily used in the form of client-side JavaScript ...

... editor - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Tools/Obfuscators Description Top : Computers : Programming : Languages : JavaScript ...

Facebook Open-Sources JavaScript Static-Type Checker Flow
The latest software to be open-sourced by Facebook is Flow , a static-type checker for JavaScript . (more…) New Career Opportunities Daily: ...

JavaScript
The Facebook SDK for JavaScript provides a rich set of client-side functionality for adding Social Plugins, making API calls and implementing ...

Facebook App Devs Get Javascript
It has been an oft-lamented fact of the Facebook Platform thus far in its life that, in order to use all but the most simple of Javascript functionality–the ...