Performance Tuning

 (If this is the wrong forum, please advise and I'll repost).

I have developed a web site, www.nzgdb.co.nz, using Visual Web Designer 2005 (Express).  It has a large genealogy database (SQL Server 2005), and runs on a new dual-core processor server with 2GB of memory, using SBS 2003 (SP 2).   There are no other applications or web sites running on this server.

My design is supposed to be optimized for the two critical activities, page GDB1 which searches the GDB (genealogy database) according to various criteria to return a list of records, and page GDB2 which is invoked to display one of these records.  My own experience had been of usually getting 1-3 second responses for these activities, and the occasional exceptions were explainable.  However recently I received some complaints, so I started to investigate.  I reasoned that the overall process was something like this: -

1.    The user enters his search criteria and clicks the [Search] Button.  This causes a request to be sent through the internet that eventually results in page GDB1 on my server being invoked to process the request.

2.    Page GDB1 starts up the code that I have written, which does its thing with various logic, including database lookups etc, until it has a response ready, then

3.    The response is sent back.

The user would observe the total time for steps 1 to 3, but any problems would most likely be in my code, so I instrumented pages GDB1 and GDB2 with: -

    Dim Starttime As DateTime
    Protected Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Init
        Starttime = Now()
    End Sub
    Protected Sub Page_Unload(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Unload
        Dim Interval As TimeSpan = Now() - Starttime
        log.WriteApplog("Time taken =" & Interval.ToString, "GDB1")
    End Sub

log.WriteApplog writes a timestamped record to an "application log" table in the database. By capturing the time interval from the very first thing that the page did to the very last I expected to capture the bulk of the time taken, and all of the time that was easily under my control.     I expected that little time would be spend in steps 1 and 3 above, and that the logged time would be comparable (say 1 or 2 seconds less) than the stopwatch-measured time at the client (my laptop).  I ran some experiments: at the time that I ran them I was the only user on the system, so issues of concurrency/interference don't apply.

Surprise:  according to the application log, typical times are a few tenths of a second.   Yet I observed much longer times: -
     A search:  the log reported "Time taken =00:00:00.1718783", I observed 6 seconds
     Displaying a record.  Page GDB1 reported "Time taken =00:00:00.0156253" to respond to the click and execute the Response.Redirect, and page GDB2 reported "Time taken =00:00:00.1406277" to display the record, so total time = 0.156253 plus the minute amount of time for the Response.Redirect.  Yet I observed 40 seconds!

Questions.

1.   Am I correct in assuming that there is no point in looking for performance problems in the database or code design because the logged timespans show that this is already performing adequately?

2.   Would it make any significant difference to carefully review Viewstate, and avoid using it where possible?  I have simply accepted the VWD defaults, which is to put everything into Viewstate.

3.   The database is now very big, just under 6GB.  Could I have a memory/paging problem?  If so, how do I find out?  SBS has various counter logs for performance monitoring, but none are turned on at the moment: which should I turn on?

3.   Help.  Questions 2 and 3 could be asking the wrong questions - where do I start?

Thank you,

Robert Barnes

0
Robert

Hi Robert,

 Check out this posting from last week. Lots of performance tips:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/10ASPNetPerformance.aspx

kyleRoche
http://www.kyleroche.com
0
chachi
2/8/2008 3:30:07 AM

 Thanks for this, it looks an excellent article.  I'll work through it and apply the tips that I can, and see what difference it makes.

0
Robert
2/9/2008 7:34:37 PM

Hello,

This might be helpful

Mehedi Hasan

 I struck a problem:  ASP.Net Pipeline Optimization (Page 2).   The paper suggests removing unwanted modules by adding something like this to web.config: -
 <httpModules>
    <!--   Remove unnecessary modules for faster pipeline.  Refer http://forums.asp.net/p/1216975/2160615.aspx#2160615  -->
    <remove name="WindowsAuthentication"/>
    <remove name="PassportAuthentication"/>
    <remove name="AnonymousIdentification"/>
    <remove name="URLAuthorization"/>
    <remove name="FileAuthorization"/>
  </httpModules>

Naturally I want to check this out in test, so I added this to the web.config for the test server (Visual Web Developer 2005 Express).   My application then wouldn't compile, with message

(Description   File   Line)
Unrecognized configuration section httpModules.    C:\Documents and Settings\Robertb.ROBERTB\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\GDB2\web.config    3

What am I doing wrong?   Should this be within some other section (this is not mentioned in the paper).  Or is this not supported for the test server?

Thanks, Robert

0
Robert
2/15/2008 12:06:53 AM

 Sorted.   What the article didn't say is that <httpModules>... should be within the <system.web>... section.

0
Robert

how to get start with .NET

Getting Start With .net

Getting started with JScript.NET

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

Getting started .net website

Performance Tuning in DW.NET
Hi All! A powerbuilder 7 application is upgraded in VB.NET using Datawindow.NET 2.0. The application in PB7 is faster than VB.NET application. How to fine tune operation in Datawindow.NET to run the application fast. -- Thanks S.Viswanathan How do you know that the issue is with your DataWindows? Maybe PowerBuilder 7 applications just run faster than Visual Basic .NET applications. You need to provide more information on where the application is running more slowly. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase On 11 Aug 2007 02:22:22 -0700, "S. Viswanathan" <visu@ewaksof...

Getting Started Without VS.NET
Hi all, does anyone know how any online resources that can show me how to create web apps that include code-behind, and uer controls without using VS.NET? I have VS.NET in work, but would also like to do work at home, but cannot install VS.NET on my home laptop because I simply dont' have the space or processor power. Any online articles would be welcome, as will any open-source apps - I currently have SharpDevelop, but I find it unstable as it crashes my laptop alot of the time. Thanks Tryst Did you try Web Martix? It is a FREE tool from Microsoft.Regards, Narayana ...

Newbie Question
I have a new project which has just started. One of the requirements is to generate XML files. Do I have to create schema files? Does anyone have a tutorial or sample code to help me get started. I have some background using XML, but not in .NET. Thx Mark How to create a new xml file with XmlDocument? More examples hereSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks, this is very helpful. What do I need to do extra to setup the schema for this xml file? Is the schema really necessary as well? Thx Mark You dont need to define any sc...

Getting started with mySQL Connector/Net 5.1
i have a vs2005 project which someone else built.  I need to connect to mySQL in this project. it is currently using the OleDbConnection to mySQL and I cannot make the connection, so I was told by the developer to try the the mySQL Connector/Net 5.1.  I have read the very encouraging documentation.  I am in a file called SqlDataProvider.vbI want to replace Dim objConnection As OleDbConnectionwithDim objConnection As MySqlConnection I get the blue squiggly  "MySqlConncection is undefined." I added this import to the top. Imports MySql.Da...

Getting started with .net mobile/wireless application programming
Hi friends, I am very much amateur to the world of mobile/wireless application programming that's why m is having thousands of doubts and confusion regarding the technology. My first few concerns about the terms i.e. mobile web applications vs. windows mobile applications first thing are these 2 things are same if not what are the main differences. I hope you will also show me some light how to move further ahead in this field as i m having small exp approx. 1.5 yrs in Asp.net application. Any help in the form of links, URL, code will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

Window performance getting worse when Mobilink service auto-start
Hi, I added a Mobilink service in sybase central (8.0.2.4361) General - startup type: automatic; Configuration - parameters: -zu+ -v -zs ers -c dsn=ers -q; Account as default; Dependencies - after ASA server started. The service started wothout a problem, but the window performance becomes very slow. Even open window explorer or copy/paste file could cost 2 minutes. Then I change the startup type to manual, the window performance is better. Is it normal that the mobilink service will lower the window performance? Or I could set sth. to avoid it? Thank you. Regards, Leon ...

Getting 3.1 to start in debug mode in vs.net 2003.
  Hi All, I have a run time version of dnn installed and working at D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke on my laptop. I want to be able to learn how to write DNN modules etc and so I have installed the source code in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\. I set the debug flag in web.config to yes..... as in the lines.. <!-- set debugmode to false for running application --> <compilation debug="true" /> I updated the solution file D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All to look at localhost/dotnetnuke3100 which is my source code version. I have created the...

Web resources about - Performance Tuning - asp.net.getting-started

Andrew Bogut puts back issues behind him in return performance against Utah Jazz
Andrew Bogut's third double-double of the NBA season shows he is ready for the Christmas Day clash with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Sapphire Readies Nitro R9 Fury: Custom Design and Enhanced Performance
... its own custom printed circuit board. Sapphire claims that the new Nitro R9 Fury will feature enhanced durability and slightly higher performance. ...

Ars Technica’s (virtual) Performance Car of the Year
... coming out of the very slow turns 11 and 12. Brakes could be better. 18 more images in gallery 2015 has been the year of the performance car ...

How Twitter used Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Improve Notification Performance
... Advocate In October, we published a blog post about how Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) works with Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to bring performance ...

Peyton Manning denies performance-enhancing drugs allegation - Business Insider Deutschland
"The allegation that I would do something like that is complete garbage and is totally made up. It never happened. Never."

How to make your performance review meaningful
Make your performance review meaningful Image by Thinkstock There's a prevailing opinion that performance reviews aren't the best way to evaluate ...

Wingels evaluates personal performance vs Hawks, reflects on year
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Wingels evaluates personal performance ...

Deadline’s The Contenders: How The Music In ‘Youth’ Became Such A Vital Part Of Michael Caine’s Performance ...
At Deadline’s big awards season day long event last month , The Contenders Presented By Deadline, Youth composer David Lang explained his process ...

Sony plans to boost battery performance 40 percent by 2020
Sony is planning to commercialize lithium-sulfur batteries by 2020, and promising increases of up to 40% over conventional lithium-ion architectures. ...