NORTHWIND.SDF connection problem - Trouble with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition - Visual Basic 2008 Training exercise #1

I have installed Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition and have made sure SP1 was installed before hand.

I am try to complete the Visual Basic Training exercise module1 and everything is fine until I try to add a data connection to the NORTHWIND.SDF database file.

I get an error message saying '....Access to database file is not allowed...'

However I can clearly 'see' and the file and it's path when using the Browse funtion from the 'ADD Connection' window.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Visual Basic 2008 Express edition but this does not help.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the SQL Server 2008 and this does not help either.

Has anyone else had the same problem or know what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Paul

0
Paulpish01

have you given iis and the asp.net user modify permissions to  the directory which the database is stored?

JC

Please mark the post(s) that helped you as the answer. You get points, the poster gets points, and also the answer is then there to show anyone else how your problem was solved.
0
JohnAClee
10/4/2008 4:53:30 PM

Hi Paulpish01,

I suppose that is casused by the file permissions you set in the Security Tab on the Properties Dialog that you get when you right click on the file in Windows Explorer.

Could you please provide more details about how you connected to the .sdf file in your VB.Net code?

Also, try to post the question in these two subject and you may get more helps: http://forums.asp.net/54.aspx & http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=152&SiteID=1

Best Regards,
Shengqing Yang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread : )
1
Shengqing
10/9/2008 3:43:42 AM

Can you provide the connectionstring for this connection.?

harrifer

Connecting VWD 2008 Express Edition to SQL Server 2008
How to I connect VWD 2008 Express Editin to SQL server 2008?   Sincerely, Computergirl Start with SqlDataSource control http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasource.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Videos are here http://www.asp.net/learn/sql-videos/ http://www.asp.net/learn/data-videos/Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and con...

Unable to connect to a remote SQL 2008 express database through vs 2008 Data Connections
Hello, I just resently installed SQL 2008 express on a remote computer and enabling Named Pipes and TCP/IP under SQL Server Network Configuration. I also started SQL Server Browser. When trying to connect to a database using the Add Connection DialogBox in VS2008, I enter "MyComputerName\SQLEXPRESS" and then proceed to connect to database dropdown list. The only available database is master, msdb, and tempdb. If I manually enter the database name I want to connect to and press the Test Connection button, I receive an error: This connection cannot be tested because the sp...

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

Problem with Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008 Express
Hello! Recently, I set up server with Windows Web Server 2008 RC1, SQL 2008 Express beta, .NET 3.5, IIS 7. I'm running ASP.NET web application with SQL database. Everything works fine until the first application state on the server expires. After that, any postback that starts a new application state on the server and connects to the database, results in the following error: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed. Is this a bug that will be fixed in release of Windo...

Upgrade from Express Editions 2008 to VS 2008 Professional
I have read on the Microsoft website here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/vs2008/products/cc263904(en-us).aspx that we can upgrade to VS 2008 Pro/Std(without MSDN subscription), instead of buying the full version, if we are using Express edition. This sounds too simplistic and inexpensive. So, has anybody done this with the desired results? Could it be this is applicable to US and Canada only? I would really like to have some advise on this as I have lots of .NET work coming through and would like to do it on the full version.Warm regards,Satish First of all, I've never noticed th...

HMC 4.5 Using SQL 2008 running Windows 2008 64-bit error .Net 1.1 missing
HelloTrying to build hosted exchange 2007 4.5 in my lab.As my sql server i;m using non-clustered SQL 2008 64-bit running on Windows 2008 64-bit. Everything is going well until the step W03-DWSPV.31 deploying MPS Core platform, specifically step MPF Audit and Recovery to add new server. According to the manual i should be pointing to my SQL 2008 server which i did except that it gives me an error: Server abdc missing required .NET version 1.1 runtime and it will not proceed. I downloaded net 1.1 and installed it and rebooted the box, but still te same error shows up on the MPS server. Is wind...

VWD 2008 Express Edition problems
I installed VWD 2008 Express Edition on my Vista Laptop then took my VWD 2005 Express Editon project and tryed to test run it under VWD 2008.  For an aspx page the VB statement:  Dim rowc As DetailsViewRow = DetailsView1.Rows(0)  causes error of "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: Index"  This same code works with VWD 2005 Express. DetailsView1 connection tested OK under 2008 and data retrieved OK, yet when run gets error. Second problem happens with this statement: Response.Redirect(&quo...

SQL Server 2008 Express
 I know this post has been touched numerous times for SQL Express 2005, but I couldn't find anything for 2008.  I have Visual Studio Web Developer Express 2008 and SQL Server Express 2008 with Tools installed on my machine.  It's a brand new machine with Vista Home addition.  When installing SQL Server, I chose Windows Authentication as the authentication method.  I had a previous web application that I brought over my old machine which was using Linq.  I also brought over my database file that the application was using.  I modified the connection s...

Problem Installing WebDeveloper 2008 Express Edition
Hi. I'm trying to install Microsoft Web Developer 2008 Express Edition and before the installation starts I get an message saying that I need to install "Visual C++ Codename Orcas Redistributable". I've downloaded and installed "Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable" but I'm getting the same error. I've been looking for "Visual c++ Codename Orcas Redistributable" but i'm not able to find anything for download or install. Could anybody help me?    ...

Problem connecting to SQL Server 2008 Express
Hi, I am trying to connect using OLE DB with the following: ltr.DBMS = "OLE" ltr.ServerName = "MARK-PC\SQLEXPRESS" ltr.LogID = "parem" ltr.LogPass = "xxxxxxxx" ltr.Database = "govtnum" and I get the following error: SQLDBCode = 999 SQLErrText = No OLE DB provider name was specified in the connection parameter Does anyone have any ideas? I am running PB 10.5.2 (7826) Thanks <Mark Pare> wrote in message news:4a14850d.5d38.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, I am trying to connect using OLE DB with the following: ...

Problem with SSMS (SQL Studio Express 2008)
Hi everybody, I've installed SQL Studio Express 2008 on Windows 64 Vista Home Premium. I noticed strange problem with the Help. The mouse cursor got really crazy, like it was doing some hard work when I invoke it. I re-produced this problem few times. My suspicion is that I have some spyware loaded on my PC, or something of this sort. I'm running AVG free edition. Any ideas of what this could be and how can I correct the problem? Thanks in advance.Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. (Donald Knuth) Maybe you should try one of these site...

VWD 2008 Express Edition or VS 2008 Trial Version for developing client web application?
I am still waiting for the Visual Studios 2008 to be release to non-MSDN subscribers, which will be the end of February. I have a client that need a web application to be implemented. I'm anixous to start learning and using the new tools in Visual Studios 2008. I was wondering, can I use the VWD 2008 Express Edition or Visual Studios 2008 trial version to implement the web application for the client? Or is there a difference between VWD 2008 Express Edition and Visual Studios 2008 trial version to the Visual Studios 2008 Professional Edition? Thanks... You van us...

Data Explorer and MS SQL Express 2008 Connection Problem
I have an older Delphi application that uses the BDE to access several Microsoft Access databases which I would like to update to dBExpress which I don't have any experience with. I am using Delphi 2009 on a Windows Vista Ultimate PC on whichI have installed Microsoft SQL Express 2008. I have been able to import the Access databases so that I can see them in Microsoft SQL Express 2008 Server Management Studio under Databases -> System Databases -> master -> Tables. I am having a problem connecting to the MSSQL -> SQLEXPRESS database under Data Explorer in the Delphi 2009...

Problems with SQL express management studio 2008 after i switched to VS2008
So here goes. I uninstalled VS2005 then installed vs2008. After which, my sql server management studio 2005 didnt work. Gave me error 26. So i uninstalled that and installed the 2008 version of management studio express. Same error. What could be the problem here? Need it for school work, thanks. This may help. http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/05/13/sql-network-interfaces-error-26-error-locating-server-instance-specified.aspx A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible...

How change .net framework version VWD 2008 express edition is using
 Hi all =)I wanna  change .net framework edition so visual studio will create a web.config including the assembly with another versionRight now my web.config is with this line: <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>But i need it in another version and probably with a different publicKeyToken.Thank you  have a look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1266711.aspx Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" ...

Web resources about - NORTHWIND.SDF connection problem - Trouble with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition - Visual Basic 2008 Training exercise #1 - asp.net.getting-started

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Man wanted in connection to Waco biker shooting arrested in Louisiana
A man wanted in the deadly shootout involving rival motorcycle gangs earlier this year in Texas was arrested in northwest Louisiana on Wednesday, ...

The First Android Wear Watch With a Cell Connection Has Been Pulled From Stores
The LG Watch Urbane 2 was notable among many other Android Wearables because of what’s inside: a cellular radio. But due to an unidentified ‘quality ...