New to ASP, Want To Code a BBS

hello, im completely new to ASP and wish to learn how to code a BBS/Forum similar to this one from scratch. can anyone help me?
0
AwayFromMe

hello u can download this forum that u r using here follow this link:

http://www.asp.net/Forums/default.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=39
best of luck.
Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Telerik MVP
0
haidar_bilal
4/13/2004 7:13:13 PM
thanks, but i really want to do it myself from scratch, i just need to know where to start.
0
AwayFromMe
4/13/2004 7:14:45 PM
The first thing I did was to build the database tables.  The I sat and thought about all the different actions users and administrators were likely to want to take and started making the stored procedures for them.  Then came the business objects that wrapped up those database calls.  Then on top of that came the business logic that wasn't database related.  Finallly, around then, my graphic designer turned over some HTML and graphics and it was time to put it all together with a UI.

My forums are pretty basic, but so are my users and they don't like lots of functionality. You can see the end result here:
http://www.700level.com/fansview/
I had a lot of fun writing them, and they've evolved quite a bit over the past 9 months that they've been around (they were done to mirror the functionality of an older, VB6 based messageboard DLL).
One thing that's not obvious from the UI is that I log the IP of EVERY post. Trust me, if your site starts getting some traffic you'll thank yourself for it later when you can ban unruly users' IPs.
0
uber1024

Where should I start if I want to make a new Address book data source to get data from an obdc database?
Where should I start if I want to make a new Address book data source to get data from an obdc database? ...

Getting started debugging source code and writing source code
Hi All,ok, I'm ready to take the next step and actually be debugging/writing DNN source code....but I'm a bit confused...I have opened D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All\DotNetNuke.All.sln on my laptop and it runs in debug mode as well as running without debugging....it says there are 29 projects with things like DotNetNuke.WebControls DotNetNuke.WebUtilityetc....But in 'desktop modules' there are no projects?? And if I right click desktop modules and try add existing item to add a desktop module to the project to debug it the add existing iten folder is empty...it do...

closed incorrectly
Running FF 2.0, Win XP, wireless connection. Using Tab Mix Plus and Firefox Preloader. When I shut down FF and then shut down my computer, I get a message when I turn the computer on again. It says your last FF session closed unexpectedly. You can restore tabs and windows or start a new session, etc. This is happening even when FF is turned off using the X in the upper right. What is making this happen and how can I stop it? I'd be happy to just always start a new session if necessary. But I would prefer to only have this option when FF really did close "...

Want to get started
Hi I wanted to get started with Crystal Report, is there any articles out there for a newbie ???Shoot for the moon and if you miss, you'll still be in the stars Get the book www.crystalreportsbook.comIf my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.Crystal AllianceMy BlogFlorist Blogs rjdudley's mentions a great resource in the book. I would also self promote here and mention Crystal Alliance which has links to a lot of different articles about using Crystal and asp.net. Another resource is the walkthroughs available at support.businessobjects.com. ...

Getting Start With .net

How to get started with code?
I wanted to know how to get started using the source code? Is there a solution file that I can simply import? Thank you, You can always open the project file if you don't have solution file.Naveen Kohli http://www.netomatix.com...

how to get start with .NET

Converting classic to .NET 2 code, and .NET gets an error back from ADS?
 For future-proofing, our Internal Phone Directory is being moved onto our AD servers, and obviously we're using LDAP for queries.To get the phoneboook queries working, I adapted the current classic ASP code to use LDAP, and that works fine. However, we're wanting to move these pages to .NET, and that's where the problem comes in. Using the same basic logic from the Classic code (90% of its unchanged) to produce an LDAP query, I get the error  155 Unknown error (0x80005000)This is using the same website, and so the same credentials  - unless aspx pages run und...

Translate c#.net code to vb.net code
Hi I can usually do the translation myself, but this time I am a bit stumped  Let us consider to rewrite Urls (more than 16000 links) using a table. Save original url and rewritten url in a table. Now add a class file in App_Code folder. class UrlRewriteModule : IHttpModule{    public void Dispose()    {        // Nothing to dispose    }    public void Init(HttpApplication context)    {        context.BeginRequest += new EventHandler(context...

Embedded Perl with persistence/caching; How does one get a new version recompiled (code with run-time errors does _not_ replace good code ...)
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, I am hacking a hack of the Peristent Perl interpreter shown in the 5.005_03 perlembed man page (the code itself is below ..). The problem is that when the path in the code to eval a new or changed file is chosen, the behaviour is unexpected in that when a new version of the file that is syntactically correct but has a run time error (eg missing module load), the new code is _not_ the code that runs, the old (no run-time error) code continues _to_ run. If the host program (that embedding the Persistent interpreter) is restarted, then all is well: the ...

new.net How did it get on to my machine
Hi, I would like to know how the new.net application came to be installed on my PC. If a browser script of some sort was involved which one should I disable. Tia From: "CB" <cb@ethos.com> Message-ID: <9hfq1f$1n7b$1@news.grc.com> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:38:21 +0100 >Hi, > I would like to know how the new.net application came to be installed >on my PC. >If a browser script of some sort was involved which one should I disable. > >Tia > I don't know how you got it, but Ad-Aware can remove it. <http://www.vo...

getting a new start up message
Hi, I searched the other messages in this string and no one seems to have replied to Chetana who had a similar problem. For no apparent reason today, whenever I try to connect to Firefox as my default internet browser, it asks me which profile I want to use. When I click default, it says that it's already in use and should create a new one. Well, I did but I lost all my bookmarks. What's that all about? Why would Firefox do such a thing without first verifying with the user? Thank you for any help you can offer. Kat Kat wrote: > Hi, > > I se...

Web resources about - New to ASP, Want To Code a BBS - asp.net.getting-started

Hillary Clinton Threatened By Bernie Sanders: Is He The Next Barack Obama?
For a while, it looked like Hillary Clinton had the Democratic nomination clinched. But just like Barack Obama torpedoed in early 2008 to top ...

Apple was paid $1 billion in 2014 for making Google the default search engine on iOS
Google s status as the default search engine on iOS comes at a price paid to Apple. And in 2014, the price was arrived at to the tune of $1 billion. ...

Viola Davis Says Nearly All-White Oscar Nominees Are a 'Symptom of a Much Greater Disease'
In an interview with Entertainment Tonight , Viola Davis weighed in on the lack of diversity among this year’s Oscar nominees. “The problem is ...

FLINT: The Democrats' Filthy Water
By Daniel Greenfield Mayor Dayne Walling, a Democrat, led a cheerful countdown at the Flint water treatment plant to press the button moving ...

Uber missed criminal record of driver in alleged sexual assault, lawsuit says
Complaint charging ride-hailing company with negligence says background check didn't go back far enough to find assault conviction.

Super Bowl at stake as NFL's Brady faces Manning for 17th time
Iconic NFL quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning meet for the 17th time in their storied careers Sunday with a Super Bowl berth at stake ...

Major university goes all-in on iPad Pro shuns Microsoft Surface
The original iPad is one of the most disruptive products in the history of personal computing. Its popularity caused the entire industry to shift ...

Alexander Litvinenko's 'assassins left a radioactive trail across Europe'
The Mail here lays bare a blow-by-blow account of the state-sponsored assassination of Alexander Litvinenko, the KGB spy who was poisoned at ...

Box Office: Massive Winter Storm to Inflict a Chill on Northeast Theaters
The massive Winter Storm Jonas will likely limit moviegoing in the Northeastern United States this weekend. Many of the biggest cities in the ...

Some Twisted Microsoft Developer Made This Awful Alarm Clock App From Hell
The morning and I have a hate-hate relationship that has seen more than one alarm clock shatter against an unyielding wall, so I don’t really ...