need help getting started!

I hope I"m allowed to post this here, as it is somewhat related to ASP.NET. I'm new to programming, and people said that I should learn C# before trying to attempt ASP.NET, and so I've started reading Learning C#by Jesse Liberty.

And I'm following his instructions and he says to go to the command prompt and enter csc helloworld.cs. But when I do that, it says, 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc.
Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
0
quinabuddy

CSC will be in <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version number> folder

So by default you can't access it(If path is not set to the related folder)!
One way of accessing it is
at command prompt type
<drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version number>\csc
other way is set path first at commend prompt to <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version number> folder
and then try to use CSC
Hope it helps!

Sreedhar
http://www.w3coder.org
weblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti
0
sreedhark
7/26/2004 10:22:29 PM
This file is located in your .net framework directory which is usually: \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\vX.X.XXXX
Sonu Kapoor [MVP]
Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum
0
SonuKapoor
7/26/2004 10:23:23 PM
The easiest thing for you to do, is set your system path to the directory that the framework resides...as posted previously.

To set your system path, you can right click My Computer->Advanced Tab->Environment Variables button->Highlight Path->Edit...adding your new path.
Now whenever you use the command prompt to compile, the system will look in your Framework directory for the CSC executable.
Hope this helps!
"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown
0
frankwhite

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Need Help Getting Started
I am trying to create my first WebPart using Visual Studio.Net 2008 and C#. This will be used in an ASP.Net web application and I don't have any plans for use in SharePoint at this time. I haven't found any code samples so I started by creating a new User Control (.ascx). The first thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be any project templates for WebParts, is that true? I attempted to go two routes, first to use WebPart as the base class and the second to use System.Web.UI.UserControl, IWebPart as the base class + Interface. I found problems using this both ways. W...

Need Help getting Started
Aloha, I had no problem loading up the Portal VS and recevied this message when trying to view the page: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. Here are the error messages: ...

Need help getting started
Hi there,=20 I'm trying to get started contributing to Firefox OS. I have a few question= s I was hoping you can help me with. I'm thinking about fixing bugs on the clock app. It looks like a useful app= that is in need of some TLC, while being not too complex. Does it make sen= se? Would you rather recommend starting somewhere else? Should I be working on master or another branch (i.e.. v2.1)? Creating my profile with make worked. I can run it in the emulator (WebIDE)= but some unit and integration tests are failing on master. I would really = prefer to start with a...

Getting Started Help Needed
Hi, I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going for me. I'm not a DBA and need some help. When I try to connect I get an error message that either SYBASE is not running (which it is), or I have a port specified incorrectly. I'm using the default of 5002. Any ideas out there on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Default is usually 5000, how many installs of Sybase do you have. <Doug_Collins> wrote in message news:C9D15F13B172434B004B972C85256CD3.004B977485256CD3@webforums... > Hi, > I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going fo...

Just need some help getting started and not sure where to go for help!
Hello All, My company is interested in hosting Exchange 2003, i have read this list and figured out I need to use some combo of MPS, MOM DCAM, MOM DB, EXCH Back-end, EXCH Front-End, and a couple of AD servers however I am not even sure where to start. We are a MS Parnter and have an SPLA license but we were sent the "Hosted Exchange" media and all it was is EXCH Standard Edition. Is there some documentation somewhere that tells me how to setup the environment and all that is required? I am good at Exchange AD, MOM, SQL, all that in an Enterprise Environment but I have no clue...

Help Needed Getting Started
I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error: Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review t...

Need Help Getting Started....
http://worldpedigrees.com/Beagles.htm thats a site i'm looking to create my site after.... I'm wanting a database thats easy to use and everything... look it over and give me some ideas... jack Uh? Come again? I'm sorry but you'll have to provide a little more detail of what "ideas" you're looking for here."I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown...

Needs help on getting starting...
Hello , I am new to developing with ASP. I have to develop an order tracking intranet application.The application will be to track request for proposal that will pass thru 5 stages before we come up with a bid. I will be using SQL Server database. and windows 2003 server. I there any example that I can use or any that you would recommend that I look at? Thanks Khurshid Check out the ASP.NET Starter Kits....

Need help getting started
Ok, I'm quite new with AJAX and it seems cool...  I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and I believe I have ASP.NET AJAX - I say believe because I went to apply the "convert" instructions and the mods already seem to be in place... If I underatand correctly, AJAX allows us to put display type controls inside UpdatePanels and then have them update with new information based on receiving events from user input type controls - like buttons.  I have several UpdatePanels with AsyncPostBackTriggers referencing other controls like buttons. Is the implecation here that we no longe...

Need help getting started
Hello. I'm trying to learn C#. I own two web sites but neither supports ASP.Net. I need an area to test my C# pages. Is there a program I can download to do so? Alex Hello Alex_dude,   Have a look at Visual Web Developper for ASP.NET 2.0 and Webmatrix for ASP.NET 1.1 Webmatrix comes withhis own webserver. For Visual Webdevelopper you need IIS (I think, never checked it out). I suggest you using Visual Webdeveloper as it is free and has the same look and feel as Visual Studio .NET   Good luck and have fun   Leketje   Leketje wrote:For Visual Webdeve...

Need help getting this started...
I am knew to asp.net and have no coding experience to speak of.  I am trying to work with the community starter kit and have no success in getting started.  Are there any SIMPLE instructions for novices that explain how to setup and use this kit?Any help would be greatly appreciated!RM Hello,I am also relatively new. But I just went through a lot of this, so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, it took me 3 different downloads to find a kit that installed all the way through without error. I suggest that you do NOT choose the JS versions (J-sharp). Although it installed oka...

Help Needed In Getting Started With Security
Hey, I have been having a hard time trying to find out where I can learn about security and get started with it. I would be obliged if anyone could help me out and give some pointers. Thanks in advance. Regards, Darshan ...

Web resources about - need help getting started! - asp.net.getting-started

The Whole Thing Started with Rock & Roll Now It's Out of Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook On Advertising, Monetization During 3Q Earnings Call: We’re Just Getting Started
A common theme during Facebook’s third-quarter earnings call Tuesday was the fact that many of the social network’s monetization efforts launched ...

Sandi Krakowski’s Tips for Getting Started with Facebook Ads
Sandi Krakowski shares how small businesses can start with Facebook Ads.

Infographic: Getting started with Facebook advertising
Custom Audiences , Facebook Exchange, retargeting, Power Editor — for the novice or new Facebook page admin, this can all seem a bit overwhelming. ...

tonyhaile.com - Revolutions Started, Alligators Wrestled, Uprisings Quelled
I should say this is a story about an expedition, a grand adventure, a test of human endurance. I should say that. This is a story about failure. ...

Getting started with login verificati
... whose accounts have been compromised... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs Getting started ...

iPhone 7 rumours have started already with facial recognition log-in
Of course, this won&#39;t come as a complete surprise to the biometrics industry as it has been predicted for some time and no doubt Samsung ...

Yahoo! : What startups have been started by former Yahoo employees?
Answer (1 of 77): I know of only a few: * Cloudera.com (Amr Awadallah) * Attributor.com (Jim Brock) * Sococo.com (Paul Brody) * Tunerfish.com ...

Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter. ...