Need help getting started - ASP.NET 1.1/IIS 5.1/XP-PRO/VS.NET 2003

I can't for the life of me get this thing working.

I have installed VS.NET 2003 I have run the "aspnet_regiis /i" and still I get the error that the specified web server is not running ASP.NET 1.1. I have looked in IIS and I see it listed under ISAPI filters when I (R) click on web sites and choose properties.
The thing I'm trying to do is run the sample from the ASP.NET resource kit called "ASP.NET Time Tracker Starter Kit (VBVS).sln".
I've never worked with IIS before or ASP.NET so I could me missing the simple things. I am however familiar with .NET and have worked with VS.NET 2003 a fair amount.
Any solutions, tutorials, pointers, anything would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
0
Orbity

Hi John,

Welcome to forum!
Check that IIS service is up and running and Default Web Site is not stopped. If it is running, please post exact error message you receiving.

Leon Langleyben

MCSD, ASP.NET MVP

Blog
0
llangleyben
11/17/2004 10:23:08 PM
I just went through the same hair pulling episode you're going through. Thanks for the advice on aspnet_regiis. I was getting the same error you were until I registered it. Make sure it is the right version of aspnet_regiis. Mine came from the framework 1.1 update.

One possibility, the attribute is aspnet_regiis -i (note the dash instead of the slash...it might matter). It then states that it is starting the installation which takes about 30 seconds and then finishes with a message saying that it finished.
Hope it helps,
Mike
You sure helped me by your comments.
0
mtravis1
11/18/2004 4:04:26 AM
Ok, I have gone through and uninstalled IIS, .NET 1.1 framework, and the TimeTracker program. I then went through and installed them again in the following order:

Install IIS
Install .NET framework 1.1
Run aspnet_regiis -i
Install TimeTracker
When I try to view the TimeTracker websitie I get two errors in my event log as follows:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1007
Date: 11/18/2004
Time: 8:58:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: *****
aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1084
Date: 11/18/2004
Time: 8:58:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: *****
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is 800700CB. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Then when I try to open the source code for the ASP.NET web app I get the following error:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/TTMobileVBVS'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'.
Now I'm assuming this is a security thing since I am on a medium sized network and I'm not sure if I need my sys admin to change some policies on either this computer or the network or whatever.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
0
orbity
11/18/2004 2:14:45 PM
Well, I finally got it working, both on my XP machine and a co-workers Win2k machine... after almost a week of troubleshooting :-\

What I had to do was to log in to the local machine instead of Active Directory. From there I had to uninstall the .NET framework and IIS (MSDE too if it is installed) since they were both installed from AD before.
Now install IIS, followed by MSDE. Restart the machine. Install the .NET framework 1.1 and then run "aspnet_regiis -i" from the directory where the framework was installed. On my machine it was "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322". No go to control panel -> users -> advanced -> advanced -> users -> aspnet -> action -> properties. Make sure the user is not locked out, it was on both of our machines. Set it to "User can not change password" and "password never expires". Uncheck the other boxes.
At this point ASP.NET 1.1 worked fine for me. I could start a new web application from VS 2003 and I could open and run the TimeTracker example from the ASP.NET resource kit with no problems.
If anyone else reads this and still can't get it working then you might want to try the solution provided here: http://aspalliance.com/articleViewer.aspx?aId=364&pId=-1
it's not the most secure way to do it so I'd try the above method that worked for me first.
Good Luck.
0
orbity

Need help with IIS 5.1 and .NET Framework 1.1
I recently installed IIS 5.1 in my Windows XP Pro machine. I then installed the .Net Framework. To make sure that it was working, I opened my browser and typed in http://localhost:80 and I receive a 500 error. I have checked the IIS in the administration tools and it says the server is running. My default page is default.aspx. I then installed VS.NET 2003 and tried to create a Web Application and got an error. I went to the Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and ran aspnet_regiis -i and then ran iisreset. Despite all of this I am still getting the 500 error in IIS and a...

Do I need VS 1.0 to install VS 2003 (.NET 1.1)?
I got a new computer where I will need to install my copies of VS 2003 and VS 2005.  All copies are legal with original disks.   I purchased VS 2003 as an upgrade to VS.NET that came before VS 2003.  Do I need to install that very first version 1.0 of VS in order to install VS 2003? Thank you in advance.   If it's an upgrade version, then you will need the previous version installed.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! Thank you for your reply.  However, I was hoping that VS 2003 coul...

VS .NEt 2003/ .Net 1.1 issues
Hi, I have a couple of issues with VS 2003/1.1 development on a machine.  I have no problems working with VS 2005/2.0 on the very same machine.   When creating a Web Application on my localhost IIS install, as soon as the WebForm1.aspx is created I get an ExecutionEngineException in DefaultDomain and the IDE closes.   Thinking that this could be an IDE issue, I attempted to install VS 2003 SP1.  When I try that, I get a Fatal Execution Engine Error 0x7925dc14. I have googled that error and it seems to come up in the context of some other applications a...

IIS 5.1 And .net 1.1
I've got everything installed I think. I'm running Windows XP Professional, Visual Studio .net 2003, the .net Framework 1.1 and IIS 5.1. Every time I try to create a new asp.net project, I get an error that says: "Visual Studio .net has detected that the specified Web Server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web Applications or services." Help?? Please :) -MJC i've had the same problem. I unistalled all the framework stuff en installed again. Now that part works! But wen i try to browse my localhost its says: "Can't find the s...

Datawindow .NET / VS 2003 / .NET Framework 1.1
Good day. I wish to ask if it would be possible to utilize Datawindow.NET in our Development environment of VS2003 / MS .NET Framework 1.1 in a WIndows 2000 Operating System. Thanks. AFAIK, only the DW.Net 1.x version supported VS2003 / .Net 1.x. I don't believe that version is available anymore. On 21 Feb 2007 01:47:13 -0800, Angelo wrote: >Good day. > >I wish to ask if it would be possible to utilize >Datawindow.NET in our Development environment of VS2003 / MS >NET Framework 1.1 in a WIndows 2000 Operating System. >Thanks. Thanks a lot for ...

Getting 3.1 to start in debug mode in vs.net 2003.
  Hi All, I have a run time version of dnn installed and working at D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke on my laptop. I want to be able to learn how to write DNN modules etc and so I have installed the source code in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\. I set the debug flag in web.config to yes..... as in the lines.. <!-- set debugmode to false for running application --> <compilation debug="true" /> I updated the solution file D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All to look at localhost/dotnetnuke3100 which is my source code version. I have created the...

help me with IIS 5.1(xp) and VS .NET(2003 architect)
Hello, I reinstalled my OS (Win XP SP2) and installed VS .NET (2003 architect) and IIS (i think version 5.1), but when I try to create new Web project, VS .NET informs me that i have asp.net 1.0 (but i have asp.net 1.1 - i tried to repair it via aspnet_regiis.exe -i, but it didn't help ), so I choose the second way of the dialog (Make the app with compliant with asp.net 1.0), but then it informs me, that "VS cannot create app. The likeliest problem is that the required components are not installed on the local web server". I don't know what i have to do, really, b...

.Net 2 and .Net 1.1 on same IIS
Hi - is there a step by step guide for this anywhere?(IIS6 - windows web server edition)I installed .net 2, and created a new virtual directory - uploaded my .net2 web files, and it didn't run.I changed the framework to .net2 in IIS, then I got server unavailable when trying to run my existing 1.1 apps.I setup a new application pool, and derived it from the DefaultPool already being used by .net1.1, and change my net 2 app to use the new application pool.When I tried to 'start' the site, it advised the port 80 was already in use by another web site.I think I know where to change port 80 - bu...

VS.NET and .NET Framework 1.1
Hi, Is it possible to use .NET Framework 1.1 with visual studio .net 2002 ? Thanks Yes.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

uploading .docx in .net 1.1 IIS 5.1
Actually now I found out that we don't want to accept .docx uploads since office 2003 is the standard where I work. So this won't actually be an issue anymore.     I'm having trouble with uploading .docx files in .net 1.1 with IIS 5.1   In order to check the file type, I tried putting a case in for word 2007, then registering the file type in iis, but not having much luck with it.  Do you have any suggestions?1 #Region "File Functions" 2 Private Function CheckContentType(ByVal ct As String) 3 Dim all...

Web resources about - Need help getting started - ASP.NET 1.1/IIS 5.1/XP-PRO/VS.NET 2003 - asp.net.getting-started

Meet Jeb Bush’s police state: The NSA in charge of civilian data
Given the various recent terrorist attacks, it’s no wonder that hackers , cybersecurity, encryption and surveillance are all major topics of ...

A Perceptive Headline About David Bowie
Above is the headline accompanying Billboard magazine’s review of David Bowie’s Blackstar , which was released just days before he passed away ...

Scott Disick Gets Help From Kris Jenner Because Kourtney Kardashian Playing Hard To Get
Scott Disick realizes that he messed up and it sounds like he is ready to win Kourtney Kardashian back. The two have three children together ...

El Chapo Reportedly Had Time for Erectile Disfunction Surgery While on the Run
After escaping from prison last summer, Mexico’s most powerful drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman surely found himself with a busy schedule ...

Police: Dispute Over Stirring Pot of Chili Leads to Attack
Police say a dispute over stirring a pot of chili led to an attack that injured 2 people at a Detroit home

These top-selling dresses at Macy's, Kmart and Wal-Mart show us what retail got wrong
Friday morning’s news that Wal-Mart plans to close 269 stores, including nine in California, will certainly have an effect on walk-in retail ...

British astronaut Tim Peake beams home first selfie from his spacewalk
After countless hours of training, British astronaut Tim Peake stepped out of the airlock aboard the International Space Station on Friday — ...

Fox Bosses On “Rebuilding” Post ‘American Idol’, Breaking Down ‘Scream Queens’ Ratings, More ‘X-Files’ ...
With American Idol ending its run, Fox has a number of extra hours to fill next season. It will be done with a mix of scripted an unscripted ...

APNewsBreak: Coal suspension affects 30-plus mining projects
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — At least 30 applications from companies seeking to mine hundreds of millions of tons of coal face suspension as the government ...

Benedict Cumberbatch Pays Tribute to Alan Rickman in a Brief Scene From The Simpsons
Benedict Cumberbatch , who has previously performed spot-on impressions of the late Alan Rickman , did so once again in a fitting tribute to ...