I am trying to run a login sample, so in "Web Site Administration Tool" i clicked "Use the security Setup Wizard to configure security step by step." and got this famous error: An error was encountere

After this i have the lengthy description of the rror

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: site at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationHost.InitForConfiguration(String& locationSubPath, String& configPath, String& locationConfigPath, IInternalConfigRoot configRoot, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at System.Configuration.Configuration..ctor(String locationSubPath, Type typeConfigHost, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigConfigurationFactory.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigConfigurationFactory.Create(Type typeConfigHost, Object[] hostInitConfigurationParams) at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationHost.OpenConfiguration(WebLevel webLevel, ConfigurationFileMap fileMap, VirtualPath path, String site, String locationSubPath, String server, String userName, String password, IntPtr tokenHandle) at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfigurationImpl(WebLevel webLevel, ConfigurationFileMap fileMap, String path, String site, String locationSubPath, String server, String userName, String password, IntPtr userToken) at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenMappedWebConfiguration(WebConfigurationFileMap fileMap, String path) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.OpenWebConfiguration(String path, String appPhysPath, Boolean getWebConfigForSubDir) at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.OpenWebConfiguration(String path, Boolean getWebConfigForSubDir) at ASP.security_wizard_wizardpermission_ascx.BindGrid() at ASP.security_wizard_wizardpermission_ascx.Page_Load() at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

 Just wondering if anyone found a solution to this, please can help me.

fzaynoun

Hi fzaynoun,

It appears that you have set incorrect value in the web.config file. Could you paste the content of the file?

"Specified argument was out of the range of valid values."

The exception that is thrown when the value of an argument is outside the allowable range of values as defined by the invoked method.

You can look at here for more details:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.argumentoutofrangeexception.aspx

Zhao Ji Ma
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Zhao
1/21/2008 10:08:04 AM

It was related to the same idea in http://forums.asp.net/t/1207168.aspx, i mean when i choosed filesystem in open website dialog box, and started the website administration interface everything was allright, i guess the error is related somehow to the integrated security, however i can't undertand why some pages open right and others not, i mean i can even create users, edit ... just the roles i can't manage them and also the security wizard ....

fzaynoun
1/21/2008 9:59:37 PM

Hi Ji Ma,

I am trying to run ASP.NET web sites and run the Web Configuration Tool without SQL Express, dropping and adding the "LocalSql Server" name and pointing it to a SQL 2005 database that I set up for app services with the aspnet_regsql.exe tool... as per Scott Guthrie's article - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479307.aspx.

Everything works fine when I start the tool. I can add users, roles and rules, but I cannot access the Security Wizard. It gives me the famous error fzaynoun detailed.

The error seems points to the WebAdminPage.cs in the App_Code directory of the ASP.NETWebAdminFiles, to a function named:

  OpenWebConfiguration(string path, string appPhysPath, bool getWebConfigForSubDir)  - which has three overrides and which I believe is the source for the "site" parameter causing the ArgumentOutOfRange exception. Instead of hacking around this code which I don't know too much about I wondered if you have ever come accross this problem with people configuring a SQL Server 2005 database for app services instead of running SQL EXpress.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

gjzulu@gmail.com

Here is the content of my web.config file.

Thank you, gzuehlke

?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

      <appSettings/>

      <connectionStrings>

            <add name="AdvancedAspnet" connectionString="Data Source=ZWEB-DC1;Initial Catalog=AdvancedAspnet;Integrated Security=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

            <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

            <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=ZWEB-DC1;Initial Catalog=AdvancedAspnet;Integrated Security=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/></connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true" />

<authentication mode="Windows" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

0
gordonznet
11/10/2008 9:29:06 PM

sorry about the double post.

0
gordonznet

ALERT - Error Trying to validate certificate from "secure internet banking site" using OCSP
Name: Bob Steele Email: bobsteeleatwestnetdotcom.au Product: Firefox Summary: ALERT - Error Trying to validate certificate from "secure internet banking site" using OCSP - Server Error Comments: Dear Sir / Madam, Since installing Firefox 2 I have been unable to do internet banking with either; internetbanking.suncorpmetway.com.au or https://www1.netbank.commbank.com.au/netbank/bankmain.htm The following Alert pops up over the window and once acknowledged, the site refuses to load. The Error; ALERT - Error Trying to validate certificate fr...

I am getting "it is read only" error when I am trying to use " if (Request.IsAuthenticated=false) "
hi, I am trying to use, if (Request.IsAuthenticated=false) but while using it I am geting the error, CS0200: Property or indexer 'System.Web.HttpRequest.IsAuthenticated' cannot be assigned to -- it is read only Could anyone please help Digish you need to use == when doing a comparison.  a single = is an assignment if (Request.IsAuthenticated==false) Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Hi mbanavige,   thankyou for the above help. really saved my wo...

VS.NET 2005 is ignoring in web.config strict="true". I get no error when I try this: Dim x As Integer = "string"
Hello,I have this in my VS.NET 2005 web.config <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">When I do this in my vb code:Dim x As Integer = "string"I get no error. When I hit compilation I also get no error. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for helping!Regards,J. Bauer It's a bug of some sort See this response by Scott Guthriehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3c1c9898-8076-4f69-a5e2-e99573d03c6e Unfortunately we don’t have a GUI based way to configure this. L It is something we will make sure gets added back in, though, with the next...

Using "+" or "||"

"Using" or "With"

Clicking on any URL in Tbird tries to open "www.g.com" and gets error "Page not found"
Hi, When I click on a url in Thunderbird, either in an email or a news item, I get two tabs: One is for www.g.com, and says problem loading page, page not found, and the other is the actual URL I was trying to reach. I'm guessing this has to do with the calendar? But I don't have the lightning extension installed, and would like to get rid of this error. Any suggestions? I've tried searching on this, but have not gotten any answers that fit. Thanks, Karen -- Karen Roberts Karen Roberts wrote: > Hi, > > When I click on a url in Thunderbird, eith...

"Access database" and "Login error"
Hey guys,I'm trying to get an Access database to be the location of the username/password combinations. I've done it is as far as I can tell, but I'm now stuck with the following error.These are some of things I have doneSet up the database in ODBC under the name "OdbcServices"Put the database in the "App_data" folder in the website directoryThanks for any help that you guys can give about the error.The Naked Programmer------------------------------------------ Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the proc...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

I need to foil using the backbutton to "back into" a "secure" web page
I'm constructing a site which will be "protected" under Forms Authentication. So far, everything works great. The issue I'm trying to overcome now is once a user hits the "Logout" button, which calls FormsAuthentication.Clear() then redirects to my login page, the user can use the back button to go back to the last page of the app they visited, or any others, for that matter. They can't do anything with them except view them or they get bumped to the Login page, but it bugs me that they can even navigate through previously viewed pages! How can I foil this? Thanks! E...

"Error" on running Web Application Administration tool
Hi. I'm getting the following error when I try and run the ASP/Net Web Application Administration tool (i.e. by clicking on Website >>> ASP.NET Configuration from the menu bar - I'm running Visual Web Developer 2005 Express): An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again. It's not the most descriptive of errors, I'm afraid.  This is the first time I've tried to use the tool (i.e. it's never worked before), so all help gratefully received. Thanks, Ian If you have made a web.config file for your site. Try removing it (back it ...

Error "Unrecognized configuration section microsoft.web" trying to build web site
I am trying to add Atlas features to an existing web site. I followed the instructions from and did the following: To add "Atlas" features to an ASP.NET application: Open the ASP.NET application in Visual Studio. Copy the "Atlas" run-time assembly (Microsoft.Web.Atlas.dll) from its installation folder to the application's Bin folder. By default, the "Atlas" assembly is installed in this location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\Atlas\v2.0.50727\Atlas Open the Web.config file in the "Atlas" default location. -- Not sure what is meant by this I opened the web.config in my web app...

Error: while using "MD5" and "SHA1" algorithms.
Hi, when i tries to insert password other than "ratnesh" and "iaza1234" the error is generated. "incorrect syntax 'i58g9e6c6s31de5s1e2d' "private void butInsert_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {SqlConnection myConn = new SqlConnection("workstation id=JASIM;packet size=4096;user id=ASPNET;data source=JASIM;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Test");  string Encrypt_MD5 = FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile(txtpassword.Text,"MD5"); SqlCommand InCommand = new SqlCommand("CreateUser ...

WSE-Security using "PasswordProvider" and "SendHashed"
Hi, Im playing around with WSE-Security (1.0) where Im sending login-information using an "UserNameToken". I want to use it with the option "SendHashed" to keep the password secure. In the service Ive added a "PasswordProvider"-class that should return the password of the passed username so that "WSE" can validate it (I suppose that the WSE-mechanism is just re-hashing the value). The thing is that Im storing all my users passwords HASHED in the database (to keep them secure if someone gets their eyes on the db). This means that I CANT get...

Web resources about - I am trying to run a login sample, so in "Web Site Administration Tool" i clicked "Use the security Setup Wizard to configure security step by step." and got this famous error: An error was encountere - asp.net.getting-started

Administration of the Patrimony of the Apostolic See - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is composed of two sections. The Ordinary Section continues the work of the Administration of the Property of the Holy See ( Italian : Amministrazione ...

George Gregan-backed Ventis HQ franchise collapses into administration
Home ventilation franchise Ventis HQ, which had a turnover of $10 million, has entered into administration.

Home and fashion brand Laura Ashley Australia in administration
The classic British&nbsp;home furnishing and fashion brand&nbsp;has called in the administrators.

The Obama administration wants social-media companies to help foster anti-ISIS content by users
... content on social media that counters the messages posted by supporters of ISIS and other militant groups. Top officials from the Obama administration ...

Ted Cruz Attacks Obama Administration For Releasing 'Criminal' Illegal Aliens
... for the deportation of undocumented immigrants. The Joe McCarthy look-a-like went on about how the border isn't secure and the Obama Administration ...

Pelosi: ‘I Don’t Think This Administration Has Ever Appeased Iran’
Pelosi: ‘I Don’t Think This Administration Has Ever Appeased Iran’

Obama administration rushes to issue new regulations in last year
... Republicans about President Obama and "job-killing" regulations for the next five and a half months. That's roughly how long the Obama administration ...

Obama administration defends holiday-season deportation raids amid backlash
Obama administration defends holiday-season deportation raids amid backlash

Wait–Rahm’s administration may have botched another police shooting investigation
... Jason Van Dyke, who has since been charged with first-degree murder. He entered a plea of not guilty. Yet, it seems that the Emanuel administration ...

White House Joins Snapchat, Seals Fate As Hippest Administration Ever
The White House just joined Snapchat, but don't expect any rainbow vomit selfies from Obama anytime soon. The administration plans to kick off ...