How to use values from two dropdown lists to get the value for a third dropdown?

I have three dropdown lists.  One for Office, one for Department, and a list of employees.   There is no relationship in the database between office and department.  The relationships are to the employees.  What I need to do is take the selected values from Office and Department, and run a query to get the list of employees who match both parameters (Office & Department).

Here's my code for the three dropdown lists.  How do I "connect" Office & Department to populate employees?

code from my vb.net page    for the three drop downs.  What do I change in the third drop down to use selectedvalues from the first too?

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="getOffices" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:xxxConnectionString %>" SelectCommand="sp_GetOffices" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"></asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:DropDownList ID="locode" runat="server" DataSourceID="getOffices" AppendDataBoundItems="true"DataTextField="ldesc" DataValueField="locode">
<asp:ListItem Text="Please select Office..." Value=""/></asp:DropDownList>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="RequiredOffice" runat="server" ControlToValidate="locode" CssClass="Error" ForeColor="" ErrorMessage="*Required"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

<
asp:SqlDataSource ID="getDept" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:xxxConnectionString %>" SelectCommand="sp_GetDepartments" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"></asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:DropDownList ID="delcode" runat="server" DataSourceID="getDept" AppendDataBoundItems="true" DataTextField="head1" DataValueField="delcode">
<asp:ListItem Text="Please select Department..." Value=""/></asp:DropDownList>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="DepartmentValidate" runat="server" CssClass="Error" ErrorMessage="*Required" ForeColor="" ControlToValidate="delcode"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="getLawyers" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:xxxConnectionString %>" SelectCommand="sp_GetAttorneys" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"></asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:DropDownList ID="BillingAttyID" runat="server" DataSourceID="getLawyers" DataTextField="FullName" DataValueField="tkinit" CssClass="style13" AppendDataBoundItems="true">
<asp:ListItem Text="Please select Attorney..." Value=""/></asp:DropDownList>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="BillingAttorneyRequired" runat="server" CssClass="Error" ErrorMessage="*Required" ForeColor="" ControlToValidate="BillingAttyID"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty

Try the ASP.NET AJAX cascading dropdownlist:

http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/CCDWithDB.aspx

Darrell Norton, MVP
Darrell Norton's Blog

DarrellNorton
6/20/2008 1:40:44 PM

Watch this video

http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-278.aspx

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 1:47:38 PM

Darrell & Vinz, I've watched the video a couple times - I don't think this will work, becuase there is no relationship between Office and Department.  What I need is a way to make two selections, and then get a filtered list for the third where both parameters are met.   I'm fine with needing to refresh the page once the second selection is made.  How do I do this?

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 1:49:14 PM

If your Employee Table has Departmanet code and Office code then you can set a Control Parameter to your SQLDataSource3 that fetches the Employee names

<asp:SqlDataSource
          id="SqlDataSource3"
          runat="server"
          ConnectionString="Data Source=localhost;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=Northwind;"
          SelectCommand="SELECT FullName,tkinit FROM Employees WHERE Office = @Office AND Department = @DepartMent">
          <SelectParameters>
              <asp:ControlParameter Name="Office" ControlId="DropDownList1" PropertyName="SelectedValue"/>
              <asp:ControlParameter Name="Department" ControlId="DropDownList2" PropertyName="SelectedValue"/>
          </SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 2:11:39 PM

There are 2 ways to do it.

bind the 3 dropdownlist in the code something like this

Function filldropdownlist

   Dim objConn As New SqlConnection()
   Dim objDataSet As New DataSet()
   Dim strSQL As String
   objConn = New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("connDatabaseConnectio­n").ConnectionString)

   strSQL = "SELECT strName, intValue FROM tblTable where parameter1='' and parameter2=''"

   Dim objDataAdapter As New SqlDataAdapter(strSQL, objConn)
   objDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet, "tblTable")

ddl.datasource=objDataSet

ddl.Textfield="fullname"

ddl.ValueField="ID"

ddl.databind

End Function

you can change the sql  with command object and use command.text = "stored procedure"

your  stored procedure can take 2 parameters office and department.

or you can use the code I types up there and use the rowfilter property of the datatable to filter the datatable.

dataset.datatables(0).rowfilter ="conditions"

I hope it helps

Plz mark this post as marked if it helps.

Singh,
http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com;
Senior MSCRM Consultant,
Orion Enterprise,
Sydney, 2000
0
Rana_Sydney
6/20/2008 2:20:01 PM

vinz, yes, the Employee table has the department code and the office code.  I added your code, and the Department and Office fields still populate fine, but the page doesn't seem to refresh or do anything, and the employee list never populates.     How do I get the page to go do the query to get the employee names?

My code for the datasource with the controlparams.. and then my drop downlist for the employees...

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="getLawyers" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:xxxConnectionString %>" SelectCommand="sp_GetAttorneysByLocDept" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:ControlParameter Name="Office" ControlID="locode" PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
<
asp:ControlParameter Name="Department" ControlID="delcode" PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

 <asp:DropDownList ID="BillingAttyID" runat="server" DataSourceID="getLawyers" DataTextField="FullName" DataValueField="tkinit" CssClass="style13" AppendDataBoundItems="true">
<asp:ListItem Text="Please select Attorney..." Value=""/>
</asp:DropDownList>

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 5:26:03 PM

funluckykitty:

vinz, yes, the Employee table has the department code and the office code.  I added your code, and the Department and Office fields still populate fine, but the page doesn't seem to refresh or do anything, and the employee list never populates.     How do I get the page to go do the query to get the employee names?

Set AutoPostBack = true to your First and Second DDL and Bind your thrid DDL  in DDL2 SelectedIndexChanged event then like below

protected void DropDownList2_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

DropDownList3.DataBind();

Look here for more info

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.parameter.aspx

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 5:57:31 PM

thank you Vincent... .  That works great, with one exception.  The first time a user selects Office and Department, the list of employees is acurate, and in alphabetical order like it should be from the stored procedure.  However, if you realize you selected the wrong office, and change your selection, the list of employees is no longer correct as it includes the values from your first selection and your second selection.

How do I get it to clear out the office selected first, and rerun the query and only display the second office?  Is this because ddl3 is bound to ddl2 and not referencing ddl1?

the code I added in my vb.net code behind...
Protected Sub delcode_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles delcode.SelectedIndexChanged

BillingAttyID.DataBind()

End Sub

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 6:21:51 PM

I believe the easiest way to do this is:  set the first and second dropdownlist autopostback on,  pass those two selected values as the parameters to the third dropdownlist datasource.

Lynn

Please mark replies that have helped you as answers.
0
lberan
6/20/2008 6:29:43 PM

You should also Re Bind you DDL3 in DDL1 (Office) just what you did in DDL2 (Department) to reflect changes made.. see below..

protected void DDLOffice_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

DropDownList3.DataBind();

}

PS: Don't forget to set AutoPostBack to true to fire up the event

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 6:31:53 PM

ARGH.. I'm sooo close..  I tried that, but still the same results it doesn't clear out the first query... here it is from my net.vb loccode is ddl1, delcode is ddl2... both databind to ddl3 (BillingAttyID)

Protected Sub locode_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles locode.SelectedIndexChanged
BillingAttyID.DataBind()
End Sub

Protected Sub delcode_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles delcode.SelectedIndexChanged
BillingAttyID.DataBind()
End Sub

And, all three controls have autopostback = "true".

Here's where I get the employee data... Did I forget something in here???

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="getLawyers" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:xxxConnectionString %>"  SelectCommand="sp_GetAttorneysByLocDept" SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"><SelectParameters>

<asp:ControlParameter Name="locode" ControlID="locode" PropertyName="SelectedValue" /><asp:ControlParameter Name="delcode" ControlID="delcode" PropertyName="SelectedValue" /></SelectParameters></asp:SqlDataSource>

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 6:42:39 PM

if you have the first and second dropdown controls autopastback = true, you don't need any sub to pass the selected values to the third dropdownlist datasource.  it should be simple and easy without any problems of old selected value.

just add those two fields as input parameters in your stored procedure for the third dropdownlist.  then in the configure datasource window, choosing the first and second controls as the parameters.

Lynn

Please mark replies that have helped you as answers.
0
lberan
6/20/2008 6:50:31 PM

lberan... tha's exactly what I've done, but if you change the selection in the dropdown list, it keeps the values from the first selection and just adds them the the list.  I can't get it to "clear out" the first data if the user changes their mind, and selects another office.  Do I need to tell it to clear the cache or something odd like that?

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 6:56:00 PM

oh ok.  I'm sorry i missed that part and i was wrong you didn't need any sub.  in you page_load sub, you should add a line like this: yourThirdDropDown.databind()

Lynn

Please mark replies that have helped you as answers.
0
lberan
6/20/2008 6:59:33 PM

sorry, it should be in your page_load sub,   yourThirdDropDown.databind()

Lynn

Please mark replies that have helped you as answers.
0
lberan
6/20/2008 7:04:59 PM

No luck, I added the databind in my pageload, and if a user changes their office selection, the employee list still contains the original list from their first selection, and the list of employees from their second office selection.  This just makes no sense.

I have AutoPostback set to true, so the page does "refresh", but still the dropdown list does not clear out previous data before rebinding.   What am I missing?

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 7:20:47 PM
funluckykitty:

No luck, I added the databind in my pageload, and if a user changes their office selection, the employee list still contains the original list from their first selection, and the list of employees from their second office selection.  This just makes no sense.

I have AutoPostback set to true, so the page does "refresh", but still the dropdown list does not clear out previous data before rebinding.   What am I missing?

I'm confused here.. Do you mean you wanted to CLEAR the DDL3 that contains the Employee lists when selecting another values to DDL1 (office)? If so then instead of Binding your DDL3 in DDL1 then just Clear the items in DLL3 and do the Binding in DDL2.. something like

protected void Office_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

    DDLEmployee.Items.Clear();

protected void Department_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

    DDLEmployee.DataBind();

}

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 7:33:03 PM

Sorry Vincent.. thanks for sticking with me.. all is good now.. here's what was happening.   The databinding is working great, with one exception .  Let's say the user makes a selection from dd1 (Chicago)  and dd2 (Human Resources) , dd3 populates with a list of employees in Chicago and in Human Resources.  However, if the user realizes that they made a mistake in dd1, and scrolls back up and changes their selection for dd1 to New York,, I need dd3 to clear out the list of employees in Chicago and Human Resources, and repopulate it with employees in New York and Human Resources.

What was happening was instead of clearing out the Chicago Human Resources Employees, dd3 is adding New York Human Resources to the list of Chicago Human Resources.  It's like it's cached the data and added it to the list, instead of clearing it and then repopulating.

So, I tried your suggestion to clear out ddl3 before binding, and now it works.    YEAH... whew... my head hurts....  I thought that adding the autopostback would clear out the values, but I'm fine adding the line to tell it to clear.

Protected Sub locode_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles locode.SelectedIndexChanged
BillingAttyID.Items.Clear()
BillingAttyID.DataBind()
End Sub
Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 7:40:03 PM

funluckykitty:

So, I tried your suggestion to clear out ddl3 before binding, and now it works.    YEAH... whew... my head hurts....  I thought that adding the autopostback would clear out the values, but I'm fine adding the line to tell it to clear.

Postback just allows you to perform certain actions at the server side.. When i say allows..I mean you can do server side logic there so basically  autopostback doesn't Clear your DDL3 items but instead you need to write some codes/logic to do a certain ACTION like telling  the server to CLEAR your DDL3on postbacks using DDL3.Items.Clear() method.. :) Well.. anyways I'm glad you fix your problem..

Regards,Vinz

vinz
6/20/2008 7:51:12 PM

Ohhhh....  see. that makes sense now...In other words  a postback is NOT the same as a page refresh..  :-)   Thank you very much and have a good weekend!!!

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty
6/20/2008 7:54:03 PM

funluckykitty:

In other words  a postback is NOT the same as a page refresh.

No..Basically they are the same..once you do a post back to the server then the Page will automatically refresh to do some certain processing and to reflect changes made there. If you are going to avoid page refresh then you need to use Update Panel or AJAX stuff to do asynchronous postbacks to the server..

Have a weekend too!

Regards,Vinz

vinz

How to get value from first dropdown list to second dropdown list
Hi Does soneone know hot to get value from first dropdown list to second dropdown list or remove it from seond dropdown list? I have a web form page. On the page, there are two dropdown lists, one Add button, and one Remove button . First dropdown list has four list items. Second one does not have list item yet. When select a item from first dropdown list, then click "add" button. I want it to apear in the second dropdown list without reload the page. Or select item from second dropdown list, and click "Remove" button. it will remove from second list. Please help. &nb...

Password text value gets deleted when value selected from Dropdown list
Hi, I need help in my dropdown control, this is what my problem is I am using DropDown List in my aplication in a form and i want to show some default selected value in the first drop down D1 and depending on values selected in D1 the values gets displayed in the child drop down D2. My issue is i have a password texbox before getting valued from D1 and D2......when i select value from D1 the password enetered in hte password textbox in password mode gets deleted. so every time he user types the password and then select something in the dropdown, he has to ...

How to combind two dropdown list values into one dropdown list?
Hi All, I refered some websites, they are combinding two dropdown list values into single, but i don't know .Net will support it or not? If any body knows it plz tell me how to achieve it?? EX: Go to Naukri.com and select Functional Area dropdown list there u can see main & sub category names in one dropdown list!!!   Thanks, Aswath.  hi just concatenate , or - for ex:Dropdownlist1.Datatextfield= maincategory & "," & Subcategory Regards,M.VenkatesanMy Blog : http://venkat-dotnetsamples.blogspot.comPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the pos...

how to get value of dropdown list
I set the value  and text property of DDL through a data table. DataTable dtjobpriorities =callwebservice.Getworks(); workTypeDDL.DataSource=dtjobtypes;workTypeDDL.DataValueField ="workTypeID";workTypeDDL.DataTextField="workTypeName"; workTypeDDL.DataBind(); how to get value of dropdown list? for ex, workTypeID is "good" and workTypeName is"1" workTypeID is "bad" and workTypeName is"2" SelectedIndex property will get only 0 and 1 for good and bad respectively I want 1 for "good" in short datatype....

Getting values from query and dropdown list
Hi, I have a simple form with a list box and drop down list. The user is requested to select an item from each and press a "submit" button. Based on the values selected, it should execute a query. Could you please guide me how to do this.   Sincerely, vjrp. There's actually a video that focuses on an AJAX component but gives a good walkthrough on how to do exactly what you want prior to it though. http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/f/6/0f651a0f-6f2b-4497-b061-e1b2825e22e0/MSAJAX-ToDoList.wmv  Mortal Creations - Columbia SC Website Design / Development ...

Problem in Get DropDown List Value
i'm using VS.NET 2003 ASP.NET  I Select the item on Dropdownlist then Click Insert Button as below...... But i canot get the value ,text or index       Private Sub cmdInsert_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdInsert.Click         Dim a As String        Dim b As Integer        Dim c As String         c = Convert.ToString(Me.cmbKokyakuNm.SelectedItem)    ...

Dropdown list values not getting passed
I have a datagrid with 2 dropdown lists populated from a table under ItemCreated and 7 text boxes. The default value of the two lists is "0" with text "----". When I make a selection and then go to instert the data into my table, the dl value getting passed is the default. When I debug, the textbox data is passed just fine but the dl's are "0". One thing I did notice is that on the post back the ItemCreated fires before the ItemCommand. Could this be resetting my dl's back to the original before the ItemCommand has a chance to extract the selected values? ...

Getting index of a value in a bound dropdown list?
I can use FindByValue to find an item in a dropdown list but that returns a list item which does not contain the index of the value. IndexOf(me.ddlCandidates.items.FindByValue(intCadidate_ID)) gives me a syntax error" IndexOf is not declared. ddlCandidates is use to find the detail record in the database and display it. I simply want to add a candidate to the database via the same webform, refresh the ddl, and set its value to the index of the DDL the candidate I just added. The only thing I cannot do is the get the index of the Candidate just added. I get the Candidate_ID f...

dropdown list can not get right value
I have a datagrid which shows some data from the database. and a detail button in each row. after clicking detail button, all data shows on the panel in same page. my problem is . I can not get correct data from dropdown list which alway point to first one.I can get correct value from text box, and check box. the function below is called when I clicking detail button Private Sub open_detail_page(ByVal e As DataGridCommandEventArgs)         Dim dreaderEn As SqlDataReader        Dim En_con As New SqlConnectio...

Problems in getting selected value from a dropdown list
 Hi!!im using a dropdown list in a gridview. the list is databound to a table. im trying to retreive the selected value in the click event of a button, but i always get the first value. i have visited many forums but couldnt get anything.can anyone help me?? Thnx. Dessi:the list is databound to a table. Where is this code ? If it's in Page_Load, you have to check for !IsPostBack condition.. if(!IsPostBack) { //DropDownList DataBinding code.. }  My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."  the code is writt...

my problem is dropdown list get duplicating values
my problem is dropdown list get duplicating valuescan somebody help me. Thanks.my aspx code <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Frequency">  <ItemTemplate> <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "FrequencyID") %>  </ItemTemplate> <EditItemTemplate><asp:DropDownList runat="server" id="Frequency1" DataValueField="FrequencyID" DataTextField="FrequencyType" DataSource='<%# GetFrequencys() %>' /> </EditItemTemplate></asp:TemplateColumn>my stored procedure is CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.asp_dd_frequency AS set nocou...

Getting selected value for a DDL (dropdown list)
Hi All, I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. My problem is this: I am using a DDL to get a list of files from a specific folder on the server which is working fine. (using the code below) Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load Dim testPath As String = Server.MapPath("~/UserImages\Pdf\") For Each file As String In System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(testPath, "*.pdf") Dim fi As System.IO.FileInfo = New System.IO.FileInfo(file) CType(DetailsView1.FindControl(...

How to get the datatextfield value from dropdown list box
I have a dropdown list box, it is filled in with data. How to get the textinformation by using its ID field info., this dropdownbox is a hidden component., but at the load event it gets filled.it has id column and text column in it. Now i want to get the text column value using its ID. comboname: Mydropdownlist Thank you very much for the helpful information. If you store the ID in DLL DataValueFields then you can use  DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value to get the data in DataValueFieldsstring strValue = DropDownList1.SelectedItem.Value; // gets the Value string strText =...

Get the Hightlight values of a ListBox but, Hightlighting two or three or four items and it get the values of each one
How do I get the Hightlight values of a ListBox but, Hightlighting two or three or four items and it get the values of each one? Thanks The following statements obtain the text of all the selected items in a ListBox that allows the user to select more than one item. The MessageBox function displays each item as it is found. You could include other processing that created an array or list of the selected values: integer li_ItemTotal, li_ItemCount // Get the number of items in the ListBox. li_ItemTotal = lb_contact.TotalItems( ) // Loop through all...

Web resources about - How to use values from two dropdown lists to get the value for a third dropdown? - asp.net.getting-started

How to convert unordered list into nicely styled <select> dropdown using jquery?
$('ul.selectdropdown').each(function(){ var select=$(document.createElement('select').insertBefore($(this).hide(); $('>li a', this).each(function(){ ...

Credit Suisse Reiterates On Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. Following Alberta Dropdown
In a report published Thursday, Credit Suisse analyst John Edwards reiterated an Outperform rating on Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. (NYSE: EEP), ...

Convert a Menu to a Dropdown for Small Screens
Create a menu that, on smaller screens, changes into a dropdown menu. A dropdown takes up much less screen real estate and can be easier to use. ...

Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample/Dropdown-demos.html at master · OfficeDev/Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample ...
Contribute to Office-Add-in-Fabric-UI-Sample development by creating an account on GitHub.

Google Adds Dropdown Menu to Search Results, Hides Cached Pages Inside
Google recently updated their search results format, again moving the link for cached page access somewhere else. Now it hides in a convenient ...

50+ Awesome jQuery Dropdown Menu Tutorials
When designing graphical user interfaces, many people prefer to use a dropdown menu as a GUI element. This allows the user to choose a value ...

Sign out command in dropdown
We can save some space in the menus by putting the Sign-out command in the dropdown menu. As we're building the menu, if I see a command called ...

Google toys with removing Instant Preview in Search, adds dropdown menu with Cached, Similar, Share options ...
Google has added a new drop-down menu to its search results page beside every URL with three options: Cached, Similar, and Share. At the same ...

Facebook Fan Page Changes You Haven’t Heard About
... fashion appears at the top center of the page if you scroll down to the cover image or any point lower. A box labeled highlights has a dropdown ...

Edit Companies - Eric Feng - CrunchBase Person Profile
If this person is an investor, please only submit companies for which he/she has a functional role (like Board, Advisor, etc). Click 'Past?' ...