how to tell the project type in .NET? Difference between web application & web site?

Hi,

I wonder how can I tell the .NET project type if I got the solution code.

Is there any configuration for the project type like: ASP.NET web application, ASP.NET web service application, windows application etc.

And is the web site actually a web application project in .NET?

Just not clear about the basic concept.

thanks,

0
lingz

in ASP.NET 1.x (visual studio 2002 - 2003) they were real projects but that changed with the initial release of Visual studio 2005 when the concept of website came up. After a while, and quite a lot of asking, Microsoft released the web application project.

One of the most easiest ways to see if there's a .csproj or .vbproj file in the folder. The pages themselves have a codebehind instead of codefile and also contain namespaces, which is lacking in a web site project.

Personally I would prefer using the Web application project to start my efforts with.

On a side note, I discovered a little flaw up until now in Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2:

Web application project, create virtual directory problem

Grz, Kris.

XIII
9/5/2007 8:37:25 AM

Thank you Kris.

Then the web application and web site project actually may do the same thing, right?

0
lingz
9/7/2007 2:47:25 AM

If you are known to vs.net 2003 model then I will suggest to use web application model as this is the same we used to in vs.net 2003. This build all the .cs files in one dll in bin folder and when you deploy project. You just provide the dll and the .aspx and web.config file. But in web site this is change. So this if you are not know to web application model then use web site model.

Ravi |   Share Knowledge   |   Online messengers
0
ravipahuja1
9/7/2007 4:58:28 AM

Hi lingz,

The ASP.NET WebSite fully utilizes the ASP.NET 2.0 dynamic compilation feature. All the code is put under App_Code folder. These code will be compiled after deployment. So at design time, we're not able to specify which .dll fill it will built into. All code will be built into .dlls whose names are generated randomly.

The ASP.NET Web Application project will behave in the traditional way, which will create 1 .dll when built. And it will provide you with many other options for customizing your project.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Kevin Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Mark as Not Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Kevin

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to.
Name: Zachary Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: The web site suggestions when you start to type in a web site are no where near what the web site is that I want to go to. Comments: The web site suggestions are not even close to the web site I want to go to. In Firefox 2 the web site suggestions were perfect, where when you started to type in a web site the web site that you wanted came up in the suggestions if you've been to that web site before. But now in Firefox 3 it also goes by the web sites heading which I don't like. For example, if I wanted to go to fa...

Difference between web Site & Web Application
Hello friends, Is there any differenece between Web Application and Web Site. where I can get the details about this? One more thing I amusing Visual Studio 2005, now if I select File > New > Project I dodn't found any option for Web Application there. So ultimately I have to select File > New > Web Site. Is it normally like this only or I have to do something to include Web Application option into New > Projects. Please let me know Thanks & RegardsGirish NehteThanks & RegardsGirish NehteIf This post helps you to solve your problem please mark this as an answer....

UpdatePanel & Form View in Web Site Project vs. Web Application Project
I am seeing two different behavour patters when using the UpdatePanel in a Web Application Project (File > Add New Project > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Application) vs a Web Site Project (File > New Website > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site) The exact same code will complie in one project type but not in another. The code is: <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server">   <EditItemTemplate>     <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">       <ContentTemplate>        ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

whats difference in web project and web site application
when i use the profile property in (web site project), ie at config file, i am not able to set the property on the default page but its functioning well when i just take a new website option from the file. ..... and thats it i want to know ... what make New Project different from New website  Hi, I think you are referring to making a website application project vs a web site project:http://www.codersbarn.com/post/2008/06/ASPNET-Web-Site-versus-Web-Application-Project.aspx Check Comparing Web Site Projects and Web Application Projectsin below link http://msdn.microsoft.co...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Difference Between VS 2005 Web Application & Web Site
Hi, I am new to VS 2005, pls let me know the difference between Visual studio 2005 Web Application & Web siteWhat is the difference? Which one is better?Thanks,Ganesh  Hi, If you are not very familiar with Visual Studio 2005, a "web site" and "web application project" may sound the same for you.Microsoft introduced the concept of "website" instead of "web application" in Visual Studio 2005. However, due to demand from the development community, they re introduced the "web Application Project" which is pretty much similar to ...

Difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005
Hi There,  Please don't hit me if i ask this basic question - What is the difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005?  I usually go ahead with a Website in VS but recently tried the Web Application Project and I saw a properties folder.  What is the use of that section? Anybody with descriptive post or link to a resource, would be of great help to clear the mist in empty head..Siva SenthilMy Share My Discoveryhttp://siva-senthil.stumbleupon.comhttp://del.icio.us/ksivasenthilPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you ...

Web resources about - how to tell the project type in .NET? Difference between web application & web site? - asp.net.getting-started

New solution helps enterprises manage web applications
The shift towards the cloud means that running applications is now often done in a browser. While this is convenient for the end user it can ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Apple Patent Application Hints at Waterproof iPhone
The patent application describes special rubber ports over headphone and other openings to protect them from water coming in.

A new edition of CRISPR promises to make gene therapy ready for human applications
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research have developed a way to significantly cut down on “off-target” ...