How to interact with data on server by using a non-browser client?

Hello,

I am writing some simple (or so I thought) software on a PDA that will be able to update data on a server as well as retrieve data from the said server. Only catch is I will not be using an internet browser. The program will read data from a text file and automatically update a webpage [at the press of a button]. So when the webpage is accessed again, the new data can be seen.
I've research on ASP.NET/VB.NET and all the data-accessing techniques I have seen involve using text fields and buttons on a website to enter and update data. I haven't seen anything function that allows me to use a client side program to do this.
So my question: is this possible? if so, how?
I looked into query strings (www.domain.com/page.aspx?variable=data) but it turns out ASP.NET doesn't support this anymore.
Thanks for your help.
0
maddindian

I am not sure with which end of the task you are having a problem ...

If you just need to know how to read the querystring as in the above URL:
Dim sData = Request("variable")
If you are wanting to implement an Http Request from the client, then you need either a browser or some other class capable of making an Http request. The result of which includes setting up the URL you have above, and sending to the server with the querystring. For this task check HttpWebRequest class.
0
rox
5/27/2004 8:07:59 PM
Hmm...I shall read up on that...thanks.

What about if I wanted a client (non browser) to access a SQL database on the webserver? Is there a special class to deal with that?
0
maddindian

General Question on using web services as THE data provider for client-server interaction
Hello there, I have a general question on the provider model provided within ATLAS.  It looks like we must use web services as the way to populate controls on the client side (asyncronously), as opposed to libraries like Ajax.NET, which concentrate only on the client-server communication but let us invoke code-behind methods as Ajex.NET methods and then return those results asyncronously. I just wanted to verify that my assumptions are correct here, and just ask why this method is the one method for doing this (although it looks like you can use UpdatePanel controls around server-side...

Do i need to develop on the exchange server(to get exchange data) using visual studio .net???
Hopefully someone can answer this, i can't find the answer anywhere. I am creating an asp.net application where i want to get info from the exchange store using CDOEX and ADO....right now, i am working on my computer which has Windows 2000 prof. with Visual Studio .NET., so far i am not able to get any info from exchange store. Do i need to be running the exchange server on the same machine where i am running Visual Studio .net?????? Anyways(more info), i tried downloading the Exchange 2000 SDK, but in order to install it I need to be running an exchange server on my machine. So i en...

Start Client Timer from Server Event and start server Event from client event
All of you, I have a big challenge which i'm not able to resolve. I need some experts with samples on this. Situation for a webbased quiz system I have a data set with e.g. 5 questions. The process should be like 1. Load Question 1 from database, there is also a picture and a MP3 sound file 2. I connect the MP3 sound file to a webcontrol I've written to play Mp3 with a flashmovie. 3. Once this mp3 is played (the question is read for people with reading problems) an Event should be raised from the client to the server. 4. The event from 3 should start a Countdown timer (15 se...

How to Data Transfer From Excel to Microsoft SQL Server Data base Using .Net.
Hai All, How to Data Transfer From Excel to Microsoft SQL Server Data base Using .Net. I have one Excel Sheet in that sheet 15 Fields (attributes) and 3000 records are there. In this 3000 records i want to store this (Excel) data into  5 related tables on Sql Server Database Using .Net.   How to store Excel Sheet data into Sql Server database. Please help me as soon as possible. Thank You Very Much...Have a Good Day... With RegardsSridhar...

Keep getting..."Unable to get project file from server",when using vs.net
When trying to open any existing asp.net project in Visual Studio it keeps giving me the message above. It is also throwing an error when I create the project in the first place, it happens when a dos window is opened, the text in the dos window is running "Common Language Runtime Minidump Utility version 1.0.3705.0" and then VS craps out says there was an error and shuts down. I've re-installed the .net components and framework with no avail, and FrontPage extensions etc.. are all installed. I'm running XP professional and have installed IIS 5.1. This is driving me fec...

Using Web server controls & Marshelling b/w client browser and web server(database).
hi, I am new to asp.net. I have a question about Marshelling b/w client browser and web server(database). I heared that it is better to minimize going back and forth b/w client browser and the server.This will increase performance and improve scallability. With asp.net, using server controls. It seems every action at the client browser require a trip to the server, for instance, page_load ( to fill combo boxes), or the event of the combo boxes to fill other dependant combo box. or when using the server validation controls. What I am trying to get into ...

how to reboot and start servers using .net
hi how is it done when you can reboot and start servers using .net thanks...

Using Persona from non-browser clients?
Hi, We are using Mozilla Persona on our CBRAIN and VIP web platforms (https://portal.cbrain.mcgill.ca, https://vip.creatis.insa-lyon.fr) for which we are developing APIs. We'd like to enable Persona authentication in these APIs. However, we couldn't find easy solutions to use Persona from a non-browser client (e.g. a Python script or C application). Is it possible to do that? Cheers, Tristan Glatard -- Tristan Glatard, PhD Visiting Scholar at McGill University, Montreal Neurological Institute (MNI), Montreal, Canada CNRS Researcher, CREATIS, Lyon, France ...

Client & Server Side ( Server PostBacks Reset Client Data )

how to get data from excel using vb.net
how to get data from excel using vb.net Hi, This article might help: http://authors.aspalliance.com/aldotnet/examples/excel.aspx Regards, How can obtain the sheet's list of a Excel document? here u can find the solution for your problem, mark if as answer if u problem got solved http://lakshmik.blogspot.com/2005/12/how-to-get-excel-data-into-net-dataset.html  Vyas Pentakotauniq_vyas@yahoo.com ...

Using XML Data In Browser Without Server
I am relatively new at XML, but am already impressed with it, as well as realizing how difficult it can be. My question is whether you can use XML using only a browser, without a backend database. In my case, there is an intranet, but without the ability to create a database on the server. Is there a way (probably using JavaScript on the browser, XML, and XSLT) for a user to update a web page that has XML content? Assume security and privacy are not issues. For example, can a user use a form to add, delete, or update XML content? Could JavaScript be used to manipulate the XML data and ...

Getting started using Sql Server Express
I am a real newbie here.  My laptop is a Sony Vaio with VISTA.  I've installed Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and installed Sql Express 2008 to work with SQL data and .Net.  Looks like I installed properly and when I look at Programs> Microsoft SQL Server 2008>Configuration Tools .... the only option from there is "SQL Server Installation Center".  Is this right?  How do I set up a SQL database and start adding new tables to it? I was used to using Sql Server Enterprise edition at my job. Thanks for your ...

Web resources about - How to interact with data on server by using a non-browser client? - asp.net.getting-started

Techmeme: Hulu begins encrypting HTML content to thwart non-browser apps (Nilay Patel/Engadget)
The web's technology news site of record, Techmeme spotlights the hottest tech stories from all around the web on a single page.