Has a "sunset" date been announced by Microsoft for .NET 1.1 support?

My employer has developed a large custom software package using Visual Studio 2003 and .NET 1.1.  Our other projects are mostly in .NET 2.0 and we are starting to work with .NET 3.5.  We need to find reasons why the customer should pay for one of our developers to spend 1-2 weeks doing a conversion to version 2.0 or 3.5.  The customer is trying to cut costs, so typical programmer reasons for the conversion won't cut it (e.g. "VS 2003 is way uncool and the other geeks don't respect me...").  Just kidding.  Seriously, we would like to give them the richer user interface that VS 2005+ and the AJAX Toolkit provide, but the most compelling reason might be discontinuation of .NET 1.1 support by Microsoft.

 Thanks!

0
kermit971

 .NET Framework 1.1 mainstream support ended 09/30/2008 and extended support ends 10/08/2013.

Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=.NET+Framework

Cheers,
       Kevin Jones

0
vcsjones
3/17/2009 6:45:28 PM

 Just a brief description of what the difference between extended support and mainstream support is:

Mainstream support is Microsoft's standard support, hotfixes, service packs, and technical support, etc.

However, extended support only gets you:

1. Security fixes.
2. Hotfixes are available, however you must have a support contract with Microsoft. That contract must also have been made within 90 days of mainstream support ending (that already pasted)
3. Product documentation, KB article access.

The fact that mainstream support ended means you lost bug fixes for things other than security, the ability to make feature requests, and technical support from Microsoft. You can read all the fine detail here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Cheers,
       Kevin Jones

0
vcsjones

Can anyone tell me the diff between .net framework versions "1.1.4322.573" and "1.1.4322.903"
Production environment is running 1.1.4322.573 Pre Production environments are running 1.1.4322.903 We are seeing some javascript errors that are only happening in our production environment. All of our pre production environments for testing, development and what not seem to be running fine. We get the generic client side error that says which line, which char number and the brief description. The actuall error states "Expected ';' " . Here is the line of code that it's complaining about. "theform = document._ctl6:Form1;" This is microsoft ge...

Method "UrlPathEncode" available in .NET 1.1 but VS.NET 2003 not seeing it
I'm trying to reference HttpUtility.UrlPathEncode(SomeStr) in my VB code but I get a build error saying "'UrlPathEncode' is not a member of 'System.Web.HttpUtility'."I've included "Imports System.Web.HttpUtility" at the codebehind page though it won't build. Appearently, when I use HttpUtility.UrlPathEncode(SomeStr) in a page with no codebehind page, it is interpreted fine. Is this because I am trying to build the code behind using VS.Net2003? Is there a way around this short of creating these pages with no code behind?King Hi Kelder, I think it should be ser...

"Error loading XML file :\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705"...does this mean v.1.1 code trying to run in a v.1.0 app?
I uploaded some new files into my existing third-party hosted site, including a .DLL into \BIN\, which is running AS.NET v.1.0. I got the following error message when browsing to one of the pages using the code in the namespace defined in the DLL: Error loading XML file c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config Request for the permission of type System.Security.Permissions.StrongNameIdentityPermission, mscorlib, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed. (c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config) ...

.Net 1.1 with .Net 2.0 virtual directory using AJAX "Sys undefined"
I'm having an issue running an AJAX app I built, I think I might know what the problem might be, but if so, I am not sure how to fix it. The main site is built with 1.1 and new application is 2.0.  I have the new application configured properly (as far as I can tell) in its own app pool, etc..  The app runs just fine (I have other 2.0 apps that run along side the main 1.1), but I am getting an error: "Sys undefined...."  I've checked to enusre the mappings for the .axd extension for this particular VD are pointing to the correct place as ...

error "Failed to get datetime data" using dw.net 1.0.1
Hello, My situation: I have a vs2005 project with dw.net version 1.0.1 (build 5502), database is asa10. When my regional settings are Dutch(Belgium) I have no problems at all. When the settings are Italian(Italy) I get a "Failed to get datetime" error when I retrieve when my data contains dates. When the date fields are not filled in then I do not get the error. A date of '2008-1-1 08:00:00' also gives errors. When I try to retrieve the same data in the datawindow painter I also get no error. Can anyone help me? Greetings, Mich=E8le DW.net 2.5 is now th...

Retrograding httpHandler from .NET 2.0 to 1.1, get "Parser Error Message: Could not create type" message
Hi there,I have written a httpHandler using VS2005 and .NET 2.0 that builds and works fine.However, I am now having to convert it to .NET 1.1, which I hoped would just be a case of changing the runtime used by the web app (as in running the 1.1 version of aspnet_regiis, with a "-s" switch pointing at my web apps folder). After doing this though (and fixing a few minor differences with web.config), if I then navigate to my handler I get the following error message:Server Error in '/Path/To/MyWebApp' Application.Parser ErrorDescription: An error occurred during the parsing of...

.NET 1.1 version of "Previous Page?"
I have a web app built in ASP.NET 1.1 and C#.  I need to base some controls on a page on what page the user has navigated there from, e.g. a button's text and On_Click function will depend on how the user got to the page.  I know that in .NET 2.0 I could use an "if (Page.PreviousPage == "PageName.aspx") statement, but is there an equivalent in 1.1? No previous page on 1.1 as far as I know.CheersAlMy BlogMapStats.NETPlease click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question! Perhaps if I explain in more detail what I need to accomplish, you or someone else can ...

.NET 1.1 to 2.0 "remember me" checkbox no longer works
I have a site I recently updated to ASP.NET 2.0 from 1.1 and everything works fine (with minimal fiddling) except the remember me check box on the log in page.  I use custom forms authentication.  Web.config defines the timeout as 60 minutes: <forms name="NIDB1AuthCookie" protection="All" timeout="1" loginUrl="Login.aspx" cookieless="UseCookies" />And in the login.aspx.cs file I have it check the checkbox to see if its checked and then manually set the cookie to expire in 30 days.  if (cbRememberMe.Checked){ //Set cookie to expire in 30 days if user checks the remem...

Paging Repeater treating page 11 as "1" and "1" not "11"
Dear AllI have a paging repeater, and I am displaying pages according to the amount of records I am retreiving from the database.  My code is as follows:-ASPX           <asp:Repeater runat="server" ID="rptPageNumbers" OnItemCommand="rptPageNumbers_ItemCommand">              <ItemTemplate>                <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1" runat=&quo...

Web resources about - Has a "sunset" date been announced by Microsoft for .NET 1.1 support? - asp.net.getting-started