Getting Started Without VS.NET

Hi all,

does anyone know how any online resources that can show me how to create web apps that include code-behind, and uer controls without using VS.NET?

I have VS.NET in work, but would also like to do work at home, but cannot install VS.NET on my home laptop because I simply dont' have the space or processor power.

Any online articles would be welcome, as will any open-source apps - I currently have SharpDevelop, but I find it unstable as it crashes my laptop alot of the time.

Thanks

Tryst

0
Tryst

Did you try Web Martix? It is a FREE tool from Microsoft.
Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info
0
narayanas
8/2/2005 7:01:21 PM
Oh my god! How could I have forgot that :(

I even have it already installed from using it in Uni :)

Tut tut

Tryst

0
Tryst
8/2/2005 7:56:15 PM
Webmatrix doesn't support code-behind - only in-line.
The .Net SDK (100+MB) includes the compilers you need to compile your code-behind files into a DLL
HTH

Hope That Helps
All that wander, are not lost...
What were we talkin bout
0
uncleb

Yeah, I have been using the .NET Framework to compile my code.

Are there any other apps out there (preferrably) that I can use.

Tryst

0
Tryst
8/2/2005 10:12:15 PM
Hi Tryst,

Take a look at #develop http://www.sharpdevelop.com/OpenSource/SD/Features.aspx. It only used to do windows based applications, but I think it now does web applications as well.

It is free! Big Smile [:D]

I had tested it about 2 years ago but at that time it was restricted to C#. It looks like it has been expanded to cover VB.NET. Definitely worth a try. And when you do, let us know what you think.

Cheers!
groggy froggy
0
groggy_froggy
8/2/2005 10:34:01 PM
The portion of code-behind can be done manually. For rest everything you know Web Matrix works just fine.
Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info
0
narayanas
8/2/2005 11:16:07 PM
Hi there,

How about the new Web Dev Express beta version? Are they still avaliable for download ?

Paul

You need a baka in every world!!!
0
lhplee
8/3/2005 9:49:20 AM
 groggy_froggy wrote:
Hi Tryst,

Take a look at #develop http://www.sharpdevelop.com/OpenSource/SD/Features.aspx. It only used to do windows based applications, but I think it now does web applications as well.

It is free! Big Smile [:D]

I had tested it about 2 years ago but at that time it was restricted to C#. It looks like it has been expanded to cover VB.NET. Definitely worth a try. And when you do, let us know what you think.

Cheers!

This is what I currently use at the moment, but it always crashes my laptop. It just freezes everything, meaning I have to close down my Laptop the dirty way :(.

I suppose I can check the forums to see if its a known issue.

Tryst
0
Tryst

how to get start with .NET

Getting Start With .net

Getting 3.1 to start in debug mode in vs.net 2003.
  Hi All, I have a run time version of dnn installed and working at D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke on my laptop. I want to be able to learn how to write DNN modules etc and so I have installed the source code in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\. I set the debug flag in web.config to yes..... as in the lines.. <!-- set debugmode to false for running application --> <compilation debug="true" /> I updated the solution file D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All to look at localhost/dotnetnuke3100 which is my source code version. I have created the...

Getting started .net website

Getting started with JScript.NET

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

Newbie Question
I have a new project which has just started. One of the requirements is to generate XML files. Do I have to create schema files? Does anyone have a tutorial or sample code to help me get started. I have some background using XML, but not in .NET. Thx Mark How to create a new xml file with XmlDocument? More examples hereSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks, this is very helpful. What do I need to do extra to setup the schema for this xml file? Is the schema really necessary as well? Thx Mark You dont need to define any sc...

Getting started with .net mobile/wireless application programming
Hi friends, I am very much amateur to the world of mobile/wireless application programming that's why m is having thousands of doubts and confusion regarding the technology. My first few concerns about the terms i.e. mobile web applications vs. windows mobile applications first thing are these 2 things are same if not what are the main differences. I hope you will also show me some light how to move further ahead in this field as i m having small exp approx. 1.5 yrs in Asp.net application. Any help in the form of links, URL, code will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

Getting started with mySQL Connector/Net 5.1
i have a vs2005 project which someone else built.  I need to connect to mySQL in this project. it is currently using the OleDbConnection to mySQL and I cannot make the connection, so I was told by the developer to try the the mySQL Connector/Net 5.1.  I have read the very encouraging documentation.  I am in a file called SqlDataProvider.vbI want to replace Dim objConnection As OleDbConnectionwithDim objConnection As MySqlConnection I get the blue squiggly  "MySqlConncection is undefined." I added this import to the top. Imports MySql.Da...

Recompile .dll made by vs.net without vs.net ?
How to recompile a code behind dll file without VS.net ? I created a web app using vs.net at home - every thing works great, but came to work and had to make some minor tweaks, but of course we don't have vs.net at work so I was using basic notepad- now of course changes aren't showing up because of the dll is not recompiled - I tried to use the command line compiler that comes with .net 1.1 sdk but no luck , any tips or suggestions? Should the command line compiler work? thanks...

Keep getting..."Unable to get project file from server",when using vs.net
When trying to open any existing asp.net project in Visual Studio it keeps giving me the message above. It is also throwing an error when I create the project in the first place, it happens when a dos window is opened, the text in the dos window is running "Common Language Runtime Minidump Utility version 1.0.3705.0" and then VS craps out says there was an error and shuts down. I've re-installed the .net components and framework with no avail, and FrontPage extensions etc.. are all installed. I'm running XP professional and have installed IIS 5.1. This is driving me fec...

Web resources about - Getting Started Without VS.NET - asp.net.getting-started

The Eagles Of Death Metal Discuss The Paris Terror Attacks
The Eagles Of Death Metal never wanted to be associated with an event as tragic as the terrorist attacks on Paris, but since fate dealt them ...

Google Star Wars promo turns your account to the Light or Dark Side
With less than a month to go until Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters, Google is getting in on the hoopla surrounding the movie's release. ...

End of rainbow: Gordon fails to land 5th title in final race
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Jeff Gordon ended up with a goodbye party instead of a championship celebration.

Jason Hatcher Accuses Officials of Making Bad Calls Against Washington Redskins Because of Their Nickname ...
MUST WATCH- #Redskins Jason Hatcher on his frustration with refs & how it feels personal because of the team’s name pic.twitter.com/lswvyP5FW4 ...

16 injured in New Orleans playground shooting: police
Sixteen people were injured in New Orleans late Sunday when gunshots rang out during a melee at a city playground where hundreds had gathered ...

Alabama Republican Has Some Thoughts on All These Dang Syrian Refugees
Were you just saying to yourself how the world could really use more insane rhetoric on the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis? Weh-heh-hell , here ...

Joyce Carol Oates ISIS Comments Enrage Public: Can The Islamic State Be ‘Celebratory And Joyous’?
Joyce Carol Oates is the kind of novelist from whom one can expect timely commentary. Even her fiction has always been plugged into a deeper ...

Korea Box Office: ‘Inside Men’ on Top, ‘Hunger Games’ Debuts in Third
Local crime drama “Inside Men” topped the Korean box office with an opening score of $11.

‘The Walking Dead’ Spoilers: Steven Yeun Talks Glenn’s Fate — Will Negan And Lucille Hit The ‘TWD’ Finale ...
Anyone reading The Walking Dead spoilers knows that Glenn is alive, but the question remains if his doom still lies around the corner. After ...

The 2016 presidential candidates: How they'd fight ISIS
CBS News The 2016 presidential candidates: How they'd fight ISIS CBS News In the wake of the Paris terror attacks - and amid continuing threats ...