Getting started with databases.

Hello,

I'm quite new developing in asp.net. I've gone through a fair few of the learning tutorials here on this site along with a couple of others. I'm now working with data access. I've successfully managed to create a database within sql management studio express, add the appropriate connection string within my web.config and also populate data fields and grid views with the information from my database.

What I would like to do now is learn how to insert, edit and delete content from said database using tinymce. I believe it requires the use of a data access layer? I know the basic SQL statements for when I create my data set but what I'm stuck on is how I can create a text box with an id which calls a function from the dataset.

If someone could please point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

0
cvandal1985

 If you look at thread http://forums.asp.net/p/1208420/2220469.aspx, you will see an example of generation of a data layer using some scripts.

If you post a table creation script I will write some data layer code for you. Please let me know if you want C# or VB.NET.

TATWORTH
3/18/2008 10:55:27 PM

Thanks, Tatworth. I'm coding in C#.

What I have for testing purposes here is my asp:repeater displaying information from 2 separate rows in my database with an edit and a delete button.

<asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource2">

<ItemTemplate>

<h2><%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)Container.DataItem)["BLOG_TITLE"] %></h2>

<asp:Button ID="btnEdit" runat="server" Text="Edit" />

<asp:Button ID="btnDelete" runat="server" Text="Delete" />

</ItemTemplate>

<AlternatingItemTemplate>

<h2><%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)Container.DataItem)["BLOG_TITLE"] %></h2>

<asp:Button ID="btnEdit" runat="server" Text="Edit" />

<asp:Button ID="btnDelete" runat="server" Text="Delete" />

</AlternatingItemTemplate>

</asp:Repeater>

SelectCommand="SELECT [BLOG_TITLE], [BLOG_BODY] FROM BLOG"

ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:DatabaseConnectionString %>">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

How can I make the edit button make the content changable with tinymce and then with the delete button, remove the content by ID?

I also though about when adding data, as I mentioned above, I'm using ID's to identify rows. When I create my add/insert button, how can I tell it to auto generate an ID? For instance I have 2 "blog posts" currently each have ID's (1 and 2) when I add/insert a new post how can I tell it to create the post with ID 3 and so on?

0
cvandal1985
3/19/2008 12:34:26 AM

 I am not too familiar with TinyMCE so cannot give you much input with respect to it.

 Regarding adding ID in the database, set the blog table id field to auto increment. This can be done so:
When in "design mode" in the datatabase, set the Identy property of your id field to On, Identity seed and Identity increment can be left at the default (1).

 Regarding the question on adding action to your buttons, I had to do something similar recetly - take a look at the code for the section titled "Bubbling Button Clicks Within a List" - the second paragraph describes and points to code that will help you do what I understand you are asking.
 http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/samples/webforms/ctrlref/webctrl/button/doc_button.aspx.

You will then have to figure out how to tie thing onto tinyMCE...
HTH
Tuka

0
tuka

Getting started with databases
Since I have a lot of data that I should organize (as a hobby), I want to get started with relational databases, but I'm not sure how to configure my setup. I have only a passing familiarity with SQL as a user, although I have some C++ experience also, on Windows systems. I want to use OpenOffice 2.0, and I appreciate that documentation is weak. My understanding is that OO is all I need, but I've also read about people using Firebird with OO as a front end. My problem is that everything I read (via Google) is aimed at folks who already know how to use databases. Is it better to h...

Getting Start With .net

how to get start with .NET

Truely just getting started, so where should I start?
I've already been working a thread on a good reference/learning book.  but truely I'm just getting started.  I've a background with HTML and some CSS But this is my first foray into any sort of application language.  I've had an interest in PHP and ASP but have only recently started to make the effort to learn.  I'm starting with the videos available here and they are great for learning the development application but I've not the programming background to easily absorb some of the more programming based processes.  I've no college resources where I'm at other than o...

trying to get started and i am getting this error
when i go to http://www.porkchopsplayground.com, i get: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database. Could not find file 'd:\hosting\nmoran26\Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider\DotNetNuke.mdb'. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Nicole Do you have a username and password set on your database? Make sure you follow the steps mentionned in the Readme.txt located in the documentation folder. In any case make sure your credentials for yo...

getting started in VS2005 C# which book should I get
Hello, I am getting started with VS2005, I have use VS2003 but not very much -(I did 4 small applications in it),  I am wondering which book you would recommend to learn the new features of VS2005, while learning more of C# programing in general There some links to good books in this thread i posted : http://forums.asp.net/thread/1489422.aspx Also these two make good reference material  Professional Visual Studio 2005 (Programmer to Programmer)   Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Unleashed  So far I recommend Wrox's C# 2005  Read the beginning chap...

get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark
Name: DOCTOR Product: Firefox Summary: get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark Comments: Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.22 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Getting Started with Database activities
HiCan anyone please help me get started with the database work for a new project. I am doing asp.net for first time and have been working on ASP for last 8 years.My main concern with this is to identify what control to use when (and what is the difference and benefit over the alternative), as we have so many choices. Unlike ASP, where we just had a single type of recordset, so what ever we need to do was with it.I need to write a kind of custom forum, so cant use a ready code for it.Please guide.ThanksLooking to check the time, goto http://whatisthetime.in/[xxx] replace [xxx] with your city ...

Getting started with JScript.NET

Getting started .net website

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

POST GET GET GET GET... WTH?

Web resources about - Getting started with databases. - asp.net.getting-started

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.