Getting Started with Database activities

Hi

Can anyone please help me get started with the database work for a new project. I am doing asp.net for first time and have been working on ASP for last 8 years.

My main concern with this is to identify what control to use when (and what is the difference and benefit over the alternative), as we have so many choices. Unlike ASP, where we just had a single type of recordset, so what ever we need to do was with it.

I need to write a kind of custom forum, so cant use a ready code for it.

Please guide.

Thanks

Looking to check the time, goto http://whatisthetime.in/[xxx] replace [xxx] with your city name.
0
schadha

schadha:
My main concern with this is to identify what control to use when

Check out this discussion thread, you would get some idea on data controls >  GridView vs DataList vs Repeater vs Formview vs DetailsView - which one to choose - ASP.NET Forums

Moreover, I would recommend to further refer to online data control tutorials/assignments: That would give you some clear idea that under what scenario which control should be used:

ASP.NET QuickStart Tutorial

ASP.NET Tutorial

Microsoft ASP.NET QuickStarts Tutorial

ASP.NET data binding overview

hope it helps./.

Thanx,
[KaushaL] || BloG || Profile || Microsoft MVP

"I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code"

This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers.
0
kaushalparik27

Getting started with databases
Since I have a lot of data that I should organize (as a hobby), I want to get started with relational databases, but I'm not sure how to configure my setup. I have only a passing familiarity with SQL as a user, although I have some C++ experience also, on Windows systems. I want to use OpenOffice 2.0, and I appreciate that documentation is weak. My understanding is that OO is all I need, but I've also read about people using Firebird with OO as a front end. My problem is that everything I read (via Google) is aimed at folks who already know how to use databases. Is it better to h...

how to get start with .NET

Getting started with databases.
Hello, I'm quite new developing in asp.net. I've gone through a fair few of the learning tutorials here on this site along with a couple of others. I'm now working with data access. I've successfully managed to create a database within sql management studio express, add the appropriate connection string within my web.config and also populate data fields and grid views with the information from my database. What I would like to do now is learn how to insert, edit and delete content from said database using tinymce. I believe it requires the use of a data access layer? I...

Getting Start With .net

trying to get started and i am getting this error
when i go to http://www.porkchopsplayground.com, i get: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database. Could not find file 'd:\hosting\nmoran26\Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider\DotNetNuke.mdb'. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Nicole Do you have a username and password set on your database? Make sure you follow the steps mentionned in the Readme.txt located in the documentation folder. In any case make sure your credentials for yo...

Truely just getting started, so where should I start?
I've already been working a thread on a good reference/learning book.  but truely I'm just getting started.  I've a background with HTML and some CSS But this is my first foray into any sort of application language.  I've had an interest in PHP and ASP but have only recently started to make the effort to learn.  I'm starting with the videos available here and they are great for learning the development application but I've not the programming background to easily absorb some of the more programming based processes.  I've no college resources where I'm at other than o...

get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark
Name: DOCTOR Product: Firefox Summary: get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark Comments: Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.22 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

getting started in VS2005 C# which book should I get
Hello, I am getting started with VS2005, I have use VS2003 but not very much -(I did 4 small applications in it),  I am wondering which book you would recommend to learn the new features of VS2005, while learning more of C# programing in general There some links to good books in this thread i posted : http://forums.asp.net/thread/1489422.aspx Also these two make good reference material  Professional Visual Studio 2005 (Programmer to Programmer)   Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Unleashed  So far I recommend Wrox's C# 2005  Read the beginning chap...

Getting started with JScript.NET

Getting started .net website

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

POST GET GET GET GET... WTH?

Web resources about - Getting Started with Database activities - asp.net.getting-started

Special Activities Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As such, members of the unit (called Paramilitary Operations Officers and Specialized Skills Officers) normally do not carry any objects or clothing ...

Facebook Teams Up With Save.org To Study Suicide Victims’ Activities Prior To Deaths
Facebook continued its efforts on the suicide-prevention front by teaming up with Save.org (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) to study suicide ...

BeMyGuest - Local Tours & Activities - LinkedIn
Welcome to the company profile of BeMyGuest - Local Tours & Activities on LinkedIn. BeMyGuest is a travel activities, tours and packages ...

Government's facial biometric system carries a 'low risk' everyday activities could be tracked
The Turnbull government's planned facial biometric matching system carries a "low" risk that people could be placed under ...

US puts sanctions on four North Koreans, including envoy to Myanmar, over arms activities
Many North Korean envoys are used by their government as arms smugglers and abettors of arms sales prohibited by the UN Security Council, Western ...

Google: new app that allows you to find friends and organise activities
GOOGLE has released a new app that allows you to see which of your friends are free to hang out right now.

Algae outbreaks in LakeTuggeranong wreak havoc on community activities
Early algal blooms are making Lake Tuggeranong unfit for community activities.

Dignity of Risk: Elderly should be allowed to do 'risky' activities to improve lifestyle, professor says ...
... of the elderly. A Melbourne professor is pushing a new approach to aged care, hoping to spark a discussion about how simple, yet risky activities ...

Blue Mountain ski resort to reopen summer activities this weekend
Ontario's largest ski resort will reopen its summer activities this weekend after weeks of mild weather have made it impossible to make or keep ...