Getting started.. What can really help?

Hello everybody!
I saw that this website has a plenty of material in the "GET STARTED" section.. Nevertheless, I felt the need of writing here in the hope somebody could help me in selecting a subset of really-useful-material worth of reading/watching...

I am a computer eng. student and I can program in several languages (among them, PHP, Java, C) and I'm now assigned a project whose result has to look like this website: http://www.romecityapartments.com/. Since I don't program in PHP since a lot of time, and I have to spend some effort in the startup phase anyway, I'd like to catch this opportunity to learn how to use Visual Studio 2008 (professional edition),asp.net etc in the hope to speed up the development phase.. Furthermore, the university provides us all these technologies for free and it would be a pity not to catch this opportunity.. ;)

The questions I have in my mind are:

1) What is really worth reading/watching for my case among the videos and tutorials avalaible in this website?

2) Which books, among the tens published, are (according to you) really worth the purchase?

3) (this is a very difficult question, but i try anyway :) ) In your opinion,  considering both the startup and the development phases, how long will it take to deliver this particular project using Microsoft's technologies?

4) Is it possible to build html pages outside of visual studio (e.g. with dreamweaver) and import them for building asp.net pages?

I hope somebody will help me and answer also just 1 of my questions! :)

Thanks in advance! Bye!

0
smoking81

Hello and welcome to asp.net.

1) Well it very hard to say, but if you are just starting out then take a look at the master page for layout
database video for you storage need and viewing of data.

2)

Two very good starter books are

Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 In C# and VB
ISBN 978-0-470-18759-3
Wrox
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-047018759X.html

And

ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed
ISBN 0-672-33011-3
SAMS

3) Well I would say that you should be able to get a basic site up in a few days to a week, but maybe more.

4) Yes no problem to build that html else where, but I would have to say that once you getting working in visual studio
you will not move out it, as there very little need.

Well I hope that I have given you some thing to work on, but if you want more info just ask.

Regards
Jeremy
If this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.
0
jeremyh
7/13/2008 1:39:44 PM

try to download first 14 general videos. they are great for starting so fast

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you
0
ashkant
7/13/2008 4:32:23 PM

 >4) Is it possible to build html pages outside of visual studio (e.g. with dreamweaver) and import them for building asp.net pages?
You can write html pages with any text editor. They can be imported into Visual Studio and converted into aspx pages, bearing in mind that standard headers and footers will be provided via a master page. If you can use Expression Web, rather than Dreamweaver.

>1) What is really worth reading/watching for my case among the videos and tutorials avalaible in this website?
Yes

>2) Which books, among the tens published, are (according to you) really worth the purchase?
Rather than immediately buy books, get a subscription to Safari Books.

Now as to time, look for HTT Tracker to download the whole of a web site. Once you have a local copy of some or all of the site, it becomes much easier to build your own.

TATWORTH
7/13/2008 5:58:47 PM

 thank you so much guys! I really appreciate your kind suggestions! I will watch the videos and look for the books you advertised... :)

What I haven't really understood if what kind of use of HTTrack you advise.. Is it possible to use it to retrieve the source code of a dynamic website?

0
smoking81
7/13/2008 6:30:02 PM

 >Is it possible to use it to retrieve the source code of a dynamic website?
It will only properly retrieve static pages, but if it retrieves sample of dynamic pages, it will help.

TATWORTH
7/13/2008 7:01:36 PM

 For the copier look at http://www.httrack.com/

TATWORTH

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Can you help me get started?
Hi all, All i wanted to do was just build a website, upload it and reap in the millions..... I dunno, its 3:48am and my head has just exploded Can anyone tell me why im movin stuff around in my design view of Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition ( ooh err mrs ), and once viewed in my web browser - the things i thought i just moved, havent moved at all - i dont get it - i dont know enough html so im buggered in that sence, i do look at the code ( i was - in me younger days a Borland Turbo C++ programmer but aint touched that field for years ) and some stuff i actually understand ...

How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm?
How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm? I setup the conky under fvwm session for my Opensuse 11 but it won't start automatically. I am wondering how to write some kind of scripts to force it to start automatically and with a delay about 10 seconds after fvwm starts. Thanks a lot. :P -- ggyyree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Maybe this will help you: 'Conky Hardcore! � ssc.sh' (http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/?page_id=503) -- Coffee is like Linux, only cool people use it. Tea is like W...

really getting started here and need help
Hi, I'm totally new to this forum. I don't know if I did the right thing so far but been learning the hard way and its time I asked for help from experienced users... Firstly, I'm trying to learn and implement ASP.NET to build my online portfolio (photos). Thinking of implementing a database to make updating much easier in the future. I bought perhaps a pretty horrible book - Sams teach yourself asp.net in 24 hours.. but I'm putting up with it for the time being. So I signed up with this hosting company called hostonce.com (I hope they're not extremely bad...) and I just realized...

Can someone please help me get started
I am wanting to use the TimeTracker SDK (I had this about 3 years ago, so I know what it does). I've downloaded the copy from the site, which gives me a file: Time.vsi (536kb) ... I cannot open this file type, for whatever reason, so have renamed it Time.zip, which then opens revealing the following folders: App_Code --> BLL  and the following files: ProjectComparation.vb (1kb), TimeEntry.vb (2kb) and UserReport.vb (1kb). This is all. I cannot extract these files either. What has happened to the original TimeTracker, which was about 4MB in size and very comprehensive. I am ...

where can i get a complete tutorial that will get me seriously started on using the objectdatasource effectively
It looks like using the objectdatasource is the way to go. will some one point to a tutorial that will get me seriously started on using the objectdatasource effectively.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- http://www.asp.net/learn/dataaccess/default.aspx?tabid=63Orhttp://www.imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 First one uses typed datasets, second one uses custom business objects.  Both excellent tutorials. Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

how to get start with .NET

Help getting started
I'm trying to get started using JConnect, and can't connect to my server. I'm using: -- JConnect 5.5 -- J2SDK 1.4.1 -- ASE 12.5 My server is running on an AIX machine, and locally I'm using XP. Other applications (eg: Silverstream) are able to connect to my server using Jconnect, so I know everything is fine on the server end. On the client end, I was able to run the installation test that's in the JConnect installation docs: java Sample2.SybSample Version and it ran like a charm. My relevant environment variables are: -- SYBASE = c:\program file...

More help getting started
I mapped a network drive on my XP PC (as Administrator) to the folder on the IIS server: \\IISSERVER\Program Files\ASP.NET Starter Kits\ASP.NET TimeTracker (VBSDK) I can open a file in WebMatrix, but I cannot save it.  When I go to the webserver and change the attributes on the folder by removing "Read only" and apply and OK, it does NOT work.  I can immediately go back into properties and see that it is still read only. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Bryan...

help! How to get start
Hi Everyone,  I just got back from devconn and I was all excited to start using AJAX, but no luck. When I tried to run the down load, I got an error that another version was already installed and I need to remove it.  I went and looked in my Add/remove programs, and I see that I have "Atlas", but no "AJAX".  Do I uninstall "Atlas" or is that something else?  Thanks, jekerryjekerry HI jekerry, Atlas is renamed to MS AJAX, so you need to uninstall Atlas. take a look at the following page for introduction videos http://ajax.asp.net/documentation/default.aspx?tabid=47...

Help getting started
We have a point if sale application running in all our stores using SQLA (7.03) - This is PC based and has been running for several years. We are currently looking at giving the salesperson a hand-held device that contains a 'price-list' for the goods that he can cary around the store. The data for the price list would be a sub-set of the stores database. What tools would I need to do this i.e Whats the best hand-held device for this, Would we need a new development system (we develop in Delphi). Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Mark Delphi al...

help getting started
hi everyone.  I'm new here and new to MySql.  So far I've downloaded and installed (completely I think): My OLE DB MySql Administrator MySql Connector Net 1.0.3 MySql Query Browser MySql Server 4.1 MySqlDriverCS I've setup a couple schemas and tables so far.  However, what I'd like to do is to connect to them in Visual Studio .NET 2003.  I want to both connect using MySql Connector .Net classes and more importantly, I want to see my database on the "Server Explorer" in VS.NET2003.  How do I connect to my MySql instance????  I've tried using the MySql OLED...

HELP Getting Started!
Hello there, I am pretty new to ASP.NET, i am using Visual Studio. I know to work with HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, PHP, MYSQL etc... but when i opened the ASP.NET Project i just said... what??? How do i make a website like in html?? In php i used to make the code and directly implent it with html... how do i do that? How do i use frames,layers, tables etc...??? Damn is hard to make the change ;) Hope i could explain correctly and get some sort of help here ;) ehehe Cheers You have a great "Tutorials" tab right above.DNN skins ForumTressleworks modulesDNN & web...

Web resources about - Getting started.. What can really help? - asp.net.getting-started

Nuclear-related sanctions on Iran lifted: EU's Mogherini
Vienna (Austria) (AFP) - Multinational and national nuclear-related sanctions on Iran are lifted following Tehran's compliance with July's atomic ...

IS attack on Syria's Deir Ezzor kills 75 regime forces: monitor
At least 75 Syrian soldiers and pro-regime militiamen were killed Saturday in a multi-front attack by the Islamic State group on the eastern ...

Trump slams Cruz as a hypocrite
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) — Donald Trump is slamming Republican presidential rival Ted Cruz as a "great hypocrite" for tapping big financial institutions ...

Taiwan elects first female president - World news - The Guardian
Tsai Ing-wen wins historic victory as voters express dissatisfaction with economy and outgoing leader

X-Men TV Series ‘Legion’ Will Take In A Parallel Universe To The Movies
Speaking before the Television Critics Association today, FX Networks and FX Productions CEO John Landgraf announced the official pickup of the ...

Apple to start charging for iTunes Radio on January 28
Initially launched as a free streaming service in September of 2013, iTunes Radio is about to be subsumed by Apple Music . Translation? The formerly ...

Hawaii reports first US case of Zika-linked brain damage
The United States has reported its first case of a newborn suffering from brain damage linked to the mosquito-borne Zika virus that has caused ...

Original 'Grease' Stars Didi Conn & Buddy Pearl Join Fox Production 'Grease Live'
Vanessa Hudgens and Julianne Hough get their party on inside the Fox Winter TCA 2016 All-Star Party held at the Langham Huntington Hotel on Friday ...

China tourists splurge US$229b in 2015, Europe most popular outside of Asia: GfK
CHINA produced 109 million outbound tourists in 2015, and they come with whopping purchasing power, spending some US$229 billion in retail therapy. ...

Man accused of financing Jakarta attacks with IS funds arrested
12 suspec­ts have been detain­ed in nation­wide raids since Thursd­ay's attack­s