General Help Needed

Hey guys and Gals.

I have as process question. I am deploying an app on a server hosting web and database objects. Everything works fine but on one site, I have an export feature. When the size gets too big in the export it hoses the asp wp.exe and all other sites are stalled out. What can I do to fix this?

The export feature is a hog because I am dumping to excel. .Csv can handle large dumps but I have a field that drops the leading zero and I have not found anything to fix that. So I'm stuck - Eliminate the Excel feed and save the server, Change the export to .csv and not worry about the 1 field or get a dedicated Web Server and put the files there. For option 3, cost is the key and If I do this, is this going to allow the massive dumps not to shut down the other pages?

Perhaps someone with End to End development and deployment experience can help me with this. As always....

 TIA

Cordell

0
cm1jm1

If you're using Office automation to handle your Excel operations, that is likely the problem.  Microsoft discourages using it in that way:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757

You might want to look at a free or commercial solution to handle that from the server side.

Btw, how big is "massive" anyway?  What are size ranges of these files you're creating?

MS lays out some other options in that article too, so there may be other possibilities depending on how you need to handle the data.

0
KLilley
4/28/2008 8:18:39 PM

I'll take alook at the site. As far as the file size it's about 40meg (probably not massive in most minds)

Any free sources you can recommend?

Also, what do you think about having the web server and database files running on the same box. Is there a way to keep performance issues down with this?

 Cordell

0
cm1jm1
4/28/2008 8:36:10 PM

It shouldn't be a problem to run the database on the same machine as the webserver if the site is not very high-traffic, and the machine is fairly beefy RAM and CPU-wise.  We've got a few running that way, and they work fine for us.  You'll want to do what you can to optimize your database though, since that can create problems if it's having to work overly hard due to a lack of optimized indexes and such.  Also, make sure that you're pulling the data in the simplest way possible, using a non-updateable, forward-only datareader if that's all you need in order to produce your reports.

I haven't tried any free automation packages.  I'm currently using XlsIO from Syncfusion to handle our Excel reporting needs.  It's fairly robust, although it still differs from the Excel data model in many ways, and it's pretty easy to work with.  I've only found a few areas where it's lacking, but nothing critical so far.

 Maybe check this out, since it's from Microsoft anyway.  See if it will suit your needs...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278973/

0
KLilley

Just need some help getting started and not sure where to go for help!
Hello All, My company is interested in hosting Exchange 2003, i have read this list and figured out I need to use some combo of MPS, MOM DCAM, MOM DB, EXCH Back-end, EXCH Front-End, and a couple of AD servers however I am not even sure where to start. We are a MS Parnter and have an SPLA license but we were sent the "Hosted Exchange" media and all it was is EXCH Standard Edition. Is there some documentation somewhere that tells me how to setup the environment and all that is required? I am good at Exchange AD, MOM, SQL, all that in an Enterprise Environment but I have no clue...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

need help getting started!
I hope I"m allowed to post this here, as it is somewhat related to ASP.NET. I'm new to programming, and people said that I should learn C# before trying to attempt ASP.NET, and so I've started reading Learning C#by Jesse Liberty. And I'm following his instructions and he says to go to the command prompt and enter csc helloworld.cs. But when I do that, it says, 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! CSC will be in <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<ve...

Need help getting started
Hello. I'm trying to learn C#. I own two web sites but neither supports ASP.Net. I need an area to test my C# pages. Is there a program I can download to do so? Alex Hello Alex_dude,   Have a look at Visual Web Developper for ASP.NET 2.0 and Webmatrix for ASP.NET 1.1 Webmatrix comes withhis own webserver. For Visual Webdevelopper you need IIS (I think, never checked it out). I suggest you using Visual Webdeveloper as it is free and has the same look and feel as Visual Studio .NET   Good luck and have fun   Leketje   Leketje wrote:For Visual Webdeve...

Need Help Getting Started....
http://worldpedigrees.com/Beagles.htm thats a site i'm looking to create my site after.... I'm wanting a database thats easy to use and everything... look it over and give me some ideas... jack Uh? Come again? I'm sorry but you'll have to provide a little more detail of what "ideas" you're looking for here."I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown...

Need help getting started
Hi there,=20 I'm trying to get started contributing to Firefox OS. I have a few question= s I was hoping you can help me with. I'm thinking about fixing bugs on the clock app. It looks like a useful app= that is in need of some TLC, while being not too complex. Does it make sen= se? Would you rather recommend starting somewhere else? Should I be working on master or another branch (i.e.. v2.1)? Creating my profile with make worked. I can run it in the emulator (WebIDE)= but some unit and integration tests are failing on master. I would really = prefer to start with a...

Needs help on getting starting...
Hello , I am new to developing with ASP. I have to develop an order tracking intranet application.The application will be to track request for proposal that will pass thru 5 stages before we come up with a bid. I will be using SQL Server database. and windows 2003 server. I there any example that I can use or any that you would recommend that I look at? Thanks Khurshid Check out the ASP.NET Starter Kits....

Need help getting this started...
I am knew to asp.net and have no coding experience to speak of.  I am trying to work with the community starter kit and have no success in getting started.  Are there any SIMPLE instructions for novices that explain how to setup and use this kit?Any help would be greatly appreciated!RM Hello,I am also relatively new. But I just went through a lot of this, so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, it took me 3 different downloads to find a kit that installed all the way through without error. I suggest that you do NOT choose the JS versions (J-sharp). Although it installed oka...

Need Help getting Started
Aloha, I had no problem loading up the Portal VS and recevied this message when trying to view the page: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. Here are the error messages: ...

Need help getting started
Ok, I'm quite new with AJAX and it seems cool...  I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and I believe I have ASP.NET AJAX - I say believe because I went to apply the "convert" instructions and the mods already seem to be in place... If I underatand correctly, AJAX allows us to put display type controls inside UpdatePanels and then have them update with new information based on receiving events from user input type controls - like buttons.  I have several UpdatePanels with AsyncPostBackTriggers referencing other controls like buttons. Is the implecation here that we no longe...

Help Needed Getting Started
I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error: Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review t...

Need Help Getting Started
I am trying to create my first WebPart using Visual Studio.Net 2008 and C#. This will be used in an ASP.Net web application and I don't have any plans for use in SharePoint at this time. I haven't found any code samples so I started by creating a new User Control (.ascx). The first thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be any project templates for WebParts, is that true? I attempted to go two routes, first to use WebPart as the base class and the second to use System.Web.UI.UserControl, IWebPart as the base class + Interface. I found problems using this both ways. W...

Getting Started Help Needed
Hi, I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going for me. I'm not a DBA and need some help. When I try to connect I get an error message that either SYBASE is not running (which it is), or I have a port specified incorrectly. I'm using the default of 5002. Any ideas out there on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Default is usually 5000, how many installs of Sybase do you have. <Doug_Collins> wrote in message news:C9D15F13B172434B004B972C85256CD3.004B977485256CD3@webforums... > Hi, > I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going fo...

Need a little help getting started....again
Hey guys, i recently took a course in asp.net, however the server that we used in class is unavailable now, and im on brinkster. I was trying to setup some of the examples we used in class, namely #3 listed here http://www.cs.arizona.edu/classes/cs387/summer03/code.shtml it is a simple database backed message board the file structure is thus: Root -login.aspx -login.aspx.cs -page1.aspx -page1.aspx.cs -database.mdb -<bin> ----DBMessage.cs ----DBUser.cs So now i remember something about having to compile the .cs files located int he bin to DLLs. however...

Need a little help getting started...
greetings, I've setup DotNetNuke3.2.0 twice now on a local machine environement.  Now that I have what I want I got a hosting service that supports asp.net/mssql (1and1.com) and I moved my whole app over there. www.godsofwow.net/DotNetNuke/ right off the bat I just get an Server Error in '/' Application. I 'believe' that I have the web.config file setup right as far as database, etc. Any thoughts on what I'm missing... gotta be stupid because I've been happy at how easy this app has been. Thanks, Chris   Nevermind... I didn't RTFM far enough :( (forum should have a delet...

Web resources about - General Help Needed - asp.net.getting-started

Generał - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Generał (pronounced [ɡɛˈnɛraw] ), is the generic Polish language term for the rank of General . In narrow sense it is used to denote the rank ...

Général - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Général is the French word for general . There are two main categories of generals : the general officers ( officiers généraux ), which are the ...

Harvey Norman avoids spill motion at annual general meeting
A defiant Gerry Harvey has told investors unhappy with Harvey Norman's board structure and executive pay to sell their shares.

Solicitor General Asks SCOTUS To Rescue Obama’s Immigration Plan
This plan was introduced one year ago, and now the Obama administration is asking for SCOTUS intervention to implement it.

Wargaming deploys World of Tanks Generals card battle game on iOS
... in June last year. And now, the World of Tanks franchise has further expanded its presence on iOS with the release of World of Tanks Generals ...

GM might outsource vans to AM General
... , Chevrolet , GM , GMC , Truck A note to factory workers in Missouri suggests that GM might move some van assembly to AM General to increase ...

LOSING THE PRIMARY TO WIN THE GENERAL? Why ¡Jeb’s failed campaign hasn’t called it quits
... run for president that Republicans need to stop trying to win the argument, and that he would rather lose the primary in order to win the general. ...

US general: Human error led to Doctors Without Borders strike
CNN US general: Human error led to Doctors Without Borders strike CNN (CNN) A U.S. airstrike that mistakenly killed 30 people at a Doctors ...

General Mills Sets A Goal To Buy Only Cage-Free Eggs By 2025
Following moves by several other major food companies and restaurants, General Mills has announced a new goal of only buying cage-free eggs in ...

BBC Director-General Tony Hall Calls For BBC’s Independence To Be Safeguarded
Embattled BBC director-general Tony Hall today called for the BBC’s independence to be safe-guarded ahead of the publication of findings from ...