Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express?

Hi,

I'm a programmer with a 4 year degree in computer science. I have been programming in some sort for 25 years. I have done VB (several years ago), Delphi (last done several years ago), and currently do some Acess programming every other month along with Perl about every month. I have never done any web page programming other than straight html (since 1996).

My boss just asked me to look into learning ASP. We have a completed ASP project for a customer and our current vendor is too busy to update it. I would be the one doing minor changes and doing the next major phase.

So should I download the free VWD2005 or VB2005?

Which has more support?

Which has more complex controls? (I really have no idea what the project is like, I just got this assignment today.)

We currently have MS SQL Server installed (v2004 I think). Can I just make a DB there and copy our existing data to it?

Or do I need more updated MS SQL Server software?

Thank you.

0
chuckr30

Well if you ask me I should go for the Visual Studio 2005 Pro. Edition and not the express editions ;)

If you want to create server controls and class library etc, you can't use the VWD2005, you also need VB2005 Express. If you want everything in one product, you should for exmaple use the VS2005 Pro. edition.

About MS SQL, even if I'm from Sweden and the database is from Sweden, I don't know how it works ;) Maybe you can export data to it, I give that question to someone else, I prefer Microsoft Sql Server 2005 ;)

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
3/26/2007 4:42:30 PM

If you are using ASP and not ASP.NET you probably need nothing but a nice editor with syntax highlighting capabilities.

If you need to use ASP.NET I would also recommend the commercial version of Visual Studio 2005. I worked with both and the Express Edition I have uses too many design elements in the user interface for my taste, thus it is slow and it is also pretty buggy.

It's not dog eat dog. It's dog eats cat!
0
bunnyhopper
3/26/2007 4:47:57 PM

Visual Web Developer Express is for creating Web Applications ( hosted on IIS )

Visual Basic Express is for creating Windows Applications ( that run on a desktop PC)

SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 is fine for web based data.

You can use Access to manage the tables, or SQL Enterpeise Manager, Or try the SQL Management Studio (free)

You can even manage SQL from Visual Web Developer Express  ( add your server to the Database tab )

Hope That Helps
All that wander, are not lost...
What were we talkin bout
0
uncleb

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Getting Started with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 and Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2005 Beta 2
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 was released on 4/17/2005.  Here's some important information for users to get started with: If you installed any version of Whidbey Beta 1 products, you must uninstall all Whidbey Beta 1 products before installing Beta 2.  The following links provide details and additional information about uninstalling: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/19/409555.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408769.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/04/15/408768.aspx You ...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

Visual Web Developer Express 2005 coexist with Visual Studio 2005 Professional
I'd like to show some people here Visual Web Developer Express 2005 but I already have/use Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 Professional on my laptop. Can they all coexist? (I saw many notes about not having VS 2005 beta with Express but non on VS 2005 Professional with Express) Thank you.   Yes they can, but since you already have VS 2005 Pro you don't need VWD Express as VS 2005 includes all VWD features and adds more (such as HTML Accessibility Checker and Web Form Localization).Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provi...

Differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?
What are the differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?I can't find a listing of the differences anywhere on Microsofts site. http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/This link described the express editions.  And from this FAQ:The Express products are designed for hobbyists, students, and novice developers. As such, they lack the full breadth of features found in higher-end editions of Visual Studio and are designed specifically for scenarios common to the hobbyist, student, and novice developer. Each Express product includes targeted documenta...

VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Should I buy Visual Studio 2005 or Get Visual Web Developer Express
I currently use Visual Studio 2003 and don't see how I can ever do without it. I am a web developer who uses exclusevely C# in development. At times, I will develop controls in C# for my websites for reuse.Now that ASP.NET 2 is coming and therefore the new version of Visual Studio (which is 2005), I am looking to upgrade. However, the FREE Visual Web Developer Express C# development tool looks like it has everything I need in order to develop enterprise class websites and controls.My question is: is there a list of functionality that will show me what Visual Studio 2005 has that Wed Develope...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Getting Started with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Visual Web Developer Express Edition, which released on 11/7/2005, is an easy to use, yet powerful, tool for developing ASP.NET 2.0 applications.  The free download is available at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/default.aspxThis forum is a great place for questions and discussions about using Visual Web Developer Express.  Don't forget to also check out the other resources on www.asp.net, including the new Starter Kits, Quickstart and Guided Tour. Rich Ersek Web Platform & Tools Team Community Lead PM...

Install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition with Visual Studio .Net 2003
Hi All, Just want to make sure the following issue: is there any probelms/issue to install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition on a workstation which have Visual Studio .Net 2003 installed? will it caused the VS .Net 2003 not work correctly? IIS 6.0 working fine for .Net framework 1.1 and 2.0?   Thanks!Edward During the beta period, I had both VWD 2005 and VS .NET 2003 installed side-by-side and I didn't notice any problems. I've also installed .NET Frameworks 1.1 and 2.0 on IIS 6.0, also without any issues. So, 1 and 2 shouldn't give you any problems. HTH,RyanRyan Olsha...

Getting Started with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition #2
Hello, In this moment I work with Web Matrix using MS SQL 2000 and MS Access databases and ASP.NET 1.1. If I install Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition will I be able to: 1. Create ASP.NET 1.1 web sites and preview them?     Probably  Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition generates code in ASP.NET 2.0.     This is not a problem as I write all my code in my code editor. 2. Use MS SQL 2000 databases? I have Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installed in my computer. 3. Use Microsoft Access databases? The one that ships with Office 2003? (The la...

Web resources about - Download Visual Web Developer 2005 Express or Visual Basic 2005 Express? - asp.net.getting-started

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

OS X 10.11.3 developer beta 1 hits the Mac App Store
In addition to iOS 9.2.1 beta 1 , Apple has released OS X 10.11.3 developer beta 1 through the Mac App Store. The pre-release software doesn’t ...

Apple seeds the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1 to registered developers
... than a week after introducing iOS 9.2 to the general public , Apple has just seeded the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1. to registered developers. ...

Survey reveals managers and developers split on real time data analysis
... to the results of a new survey, 84 percent of CIOs believe their organization can analyze data in real-time, however, only 42 percent of developers ...

App developers give brutally honest answers about why they pick iOS over Android
... they come to Android . We've written a lot about the reasons for this in the past but now The Next Web has given five popular mobile app developers ...

"Ehsan Abdulaziz, a Saudi millionaire property developer, was cleared of rape charges in London this ...
"... on an 18-year-old girl who was sleeping at his apartment after partying with him, penetrating her by accident.... [H]e said his penis might ...

Our new global program for Developer Agencies
Posted by Uttam Kumar Tripathi , Global Lead, Developer Agency Program The Google Developers team supports a number of global programs geared ...

Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games
Breitbart News Tencent Holdings Takes Full Control of 'League of Legends' Developer Riot Games Breitbart News Riot Games, the creators of ...

Apple really wants developers to incorporate the iPhone's newest feature into apps
Apple has sent developers an email encouraging them to "find out how your apps can take full advantage of 3D Touch," according to MacRumors . ...